Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#121 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-05-2010, 12:47 AM
The Awesome Poseidon
View Posts: 69
Talking

Mechanical Menace: Felindris

The official boss for the Tower Of Hera!

dum dum dum dummmm...

Relative size: Link is about a foot shorter than one of Felindris's teeth

Background: Felindris was created when a junk robot was remodeled and filled with the power of darkness. Twinrova was actually the creator of Felindris, but she was under Ganon’s command. Evil Felindris is sometimes considered, in a sense, to have Link's Shadow as his lapdog.
Physical appearance: Dark Felindris, on the outside, looks like an enormous,dull silver tiger. The metal boss is very muscular and has two large, silvery, bat-like wings. He has four-foot claws that never retract and six-foot-long teeth. Both claws and teeth are razor sharp. He has pure black eyes with dark purple flames and red circles for his pupils. Finally the tail is twelve feet and has spikes on the end. Light Felindris looks exactly the same except his eyes are a sparkling, sapphire blue on white, his wings are golden bird wings, his claws can retract on command, his tail doesn't have spikes,he's half of his evil size, and he's highly polished.
Dungeon: Tower of Hera
Boss encounter: Link encounters Felindris when he climbs the Tower of Hera later in the game while on his search for Princess Zelda in the Second Hyrule.
Boss battle: Felindris has three phases of his boss battle. They are in progressive difficulties.
Phase 1: This stage is quite simple. Merely bring his cronies to you with the Chain Latch, then hack at the wires that connect the little robots to Felindris.
Phase 2: This one is somewhat more difficult but is still relatively easy. The Bow and the Mirror Shield are what you’ll need to bring on Phase 3. Gather the silver orbs of light in the Mirror Shield until a colossal beam is unleashed. Aim the beam at the pile of metal that is Felindris, and then let arrows fly at his wings. Four attack rounds should polish off this phase nicely.
Phase 3: This one is somewhat more difficult. Now send some fire from the Fire Rod at the northeast mirror. While the boss is distracted by the flames bouncing around the room (making sure you aren't hit as well), use the Magnetic Gloves ( N polarity) to pin Felindris to the wall. Use the Chain Latch to bring his feet to you, then slash his claws.
Phase 4: Feels good to be this far, doesn’t it? The boss is more watchful of your attacks, and his weak point this time is actually right inside his mouth (believe it or not)! Wait for Felindris to try to bite. When he lunges, duck out of the way and walk right into his mouth. You should see some pillars. Slice and dice at them as much as you can before he spits you out. After the pillars are gone,zap the dangling crystal with the Thunder Rod to bring out a holder for something. Place a bomb in it and he will freak out with the usual show. Repeat until he brings on the final phase.
Phase 5: The tediously long phase is up and running! This is always the trump card for the unexperienced, but follow this guide and you’ll fell the heap of metallic trash in no time. See the heavy ball in the corner of the room? That’s to begin his defeat sequence. Pull the ball off and into your hands with the S polarity on the Magnetic Gloves. Throw it at Felindris to stun him. With N polarity on Magnetic Gloves, pick up the boss and throw him at the exposed wires to make him really dazed. Use the Mirror Shield while you’re standing in a shaft of light right at the face of the boss. He’s blind now, so hit Felindris with a blast of ice from the Ice Rod. Then he’ll reveal his tongue. Chain Latch it to you, then slash at it with the Master Sword before the tongue retracts. Six rounds of this process will drop the boss nicely.
Attacks: Felindris has six main attacks and one “Last Resort” attack. The main attacks are:
-swipe at you with his claws which do 1 ˝ heart icons of damage
-try to bite which does 2 heart icons of damage
-swing his tail which deals the same amount of damage as the bite.
-release silver orbs of light that deal 1 heart icon of damage
-coat you in a black-purple flame that reverses your directions and takes away 1 ˝ heart icons of health
-send a whole bunch of winged robotic jaguars that are much like Keese which deal ˝ of a heart icon of damage
Last Resort- cause a black flame that hits everything in the room except for him, dealing 4 heart icons of damage
**hint** The mirror shield reflects all of Felindris’ attacks except for the last resort
**hint** The blue tunic found in the secret room of the Tower of Hera is the only thing that can reduce the damage done by the last resort. The blue tunic only cuts the damage done in half
Quotes
Upon entering room- “Foolish mortal! Twinrova was kind enough to remodel me and make me the way I am! In return, I will knock you out so that Twinrova will kill you if you’re important enough!”
Phase transition-“ Ow! You found my weak spot and exploited it! But can you do it again?!”
After defeat- “ No…. I never thought it possible. I’ve been defeated. Fine, take the Shine Key. I don’t need it anymore. Take this Heart Container too. <name>, I’m not evil by nature. Defeat Twinrova so I won’t go in vain.Tell everyone that Twinrova captured me. I can't go on any longer. Good…bye…. <name>, potential Hero of Time….”
Then Felindris will fall, leaving you with the Shine Key, the sixth key needed to open the Mystic Palace and destroy Twinrova, and a Heart Container.
-side note-The Low G on the Earth Trombone will temporarily stun Felindris in all phases but I recommend it for only phases 4 and 5 because of their difficulties.
-side note- Felindris has a contrabass voice when he's evil, a tenor voice when he's with the good guy Link

I just had a thought that it would be interesting to have this battle on the Wii because I imagined that the boss chamber would have to be gargantuan in order to allow Felindris's humungous size. It would never happen on the DS because Felindris is about 20 times link's size.

Even though link destroyed Felindris, that was actually the boss's evil side. So when Maple examines the Shine Key, she finds the Felindris Keychain. Now Felindris is on your side!

Combo attacks with Link
Cannon Stab: Link climbs into Felindris's mouth, then gets his sword out. Felindris takes a big breath, then shoots link out with bullet force
Mirror Shot: Felindris starts gathering light in a big orb on his tongue. Link gets out the Mirror Shield and then decides when Felindris will stop gathering light. When Felindris is finished gathering light, he takes out the orb and presses it onto the mirror shield. It starts flashing, during which time link can position himself. When the shield stops flashing, then it will release a colossal beam of silver light in the direction Link has positioned himself in
Last Edited by BatJoker101; 01-19-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: double post
  #122 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-05-2010, 01:10 AM
#firstworldproblems

View Posts: 5,908
Re: Design a Boss | Lupus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda683 View Post
how DO we submit? 'Cause this is my first time blogging and I want to participate in the design a boss, but I can't figure out how.
What you did in the post above is what qualifies as an entry. You can further edit it by clicking the "Edit" button right beside it.
  #123 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-05-2010, 06:57 AM
Goron
Send a message via AIM to Hey! Listen!
View Posts: 248
Okay here we go...

Blinded Behemoth
● Rukkus ●

//THE DUNGEON//
Rukkus makes his home in the Temple of Silence, located deep with-in the darkest recesses of the mountains. The temple is designed to remain completely silent as well as very dark with some areas completely engulfed in shadows. There are beings inside that will attack at the first sign of any sound. The Cane of Phantom Sound is the item that Link must recover from the dungeon to remedy this problem. He uses it in the dungeon to distract the enemies whenever he has to make necessary sounds. Like flipping switches, moving boulders, etc. to solve puzzles and open doors to new areas.

( I'm imagining that this game takes place on the Wii. So the way the cane works is, you swing the wii mote when the item is equipped and when you swing it in a direction you'll first hear a high sounding note on the wii mote speaker and then you'll hear a low sounding note on the tv speaker. So it sounds like a sound traveled from you to far off in the distance. )

So he can use it to make it sound like there is a noise in the distance, thus distracting the enemies in the dungeon from attacking him while he does whatever he needs to do.

//DESCRIPTION//
The last of it's kind, Rukkus is a huge and towering beast with a tough skin resembling that of cooled lava, long pointy ears set slightly at an angle, a short stubby tail and one huge eye that fills it's entire head. It's clothed in the tattered remnants of an old shroud of some kind, giving it a slightly humanoid appearance. Or perhaps maybe more like that of a giant troll of some kind. One of the more frightening features of the creature is it's mouth, which appears to be small when closed, but it can adjust to an abnormally large size when open to breathe fire... or just to eat someone who looks tasty and is standing in it's way.

Lurking in the catacombs of the Temple of Silence, once it could use it's large eye to see in the darkness as clear as day. But legend says it has been blinded by a past warrior who was unable to kill it. Although now handicapped, legend also tells that Rukkus may have developed an acute sense of hearing.

//BOSS ENCOUNTER//
Shortly after unlocking the boss door, Link enters a small room with a skeleton clad in armor, leaning against a stone wall near the entrance way to a long hallway. Held in it's hand is a piece of cloth. Link reads it...

I'm sorry... I... failed. It was too much for me alone. I managed to make it out of there alive, but I fear I won't make it any further. You who are reading this, take note, you must not let it gaze on you that is it's...

Links' fairy (well his partner, it doesn't have to be a fairy) comments "Is it's what? ... Well I guess he didn't finish. Come on Link, let's press on!"

Link enters a long hallway that is lit by lanterns. As he traverses further down the hallway, what was a faint sound of wind becomes louder as wind picks up, the lanterns adorning the walls flickering wildly the further he goes until they are no longer lit and he enters pitch black darkness at the end of the hallway. At first, all you hear is the sound of wind whistling through an empty, large cavern. But then a loud roar breaks the silence as the monster, Rukkus rises from hole in the center of the cavern, breathing fire breathe into the air allowing you to see the cavern for a split second. Then the monster breathes fire straight at Link, who blocks the attack with his shield. This being the only source of light in the room, Link now has his first glimpse of the monster, whose single eye is now fixed in a permanent wince. Link's fairy (partner) comments shortly after the cut scene, "Remember what that poor guy back there said, you can't let it gaze on you! Well this should be no problem then considering it's eye is blinded!"

//THE BATTLE//
STEP 1 - Rukkus will breathe fire in short bursts, providing the only source of light in the room. Link can use his shield to block the fire from hurting him. Otherwise Link is in complete darkness and unable to see. He must run up a path that lines the cavern wall and circles back around to the other side, along the path are lanterns he must light with a deku stick. After all are lit, he can see Rukkus in the room allowing him to know where he is. But be wary, the cavern is very windy so Link only has so long before all the lanterns flames are blown out. (it's impossible to attack it in the complete darkness). In addition, if Link doesn't light all the lanterns, he can still see but the room will become darker and darker when each one goes out, so to not light them all reduces the amount of time he has to act. Take note also that anytime the Rukkus roars that the shockwave is so intense that a few rocks from above will fall, Link must dodge those. This doesn't happen that often at first, and occasionally, some rocks that break open will reveal hearts that Link can get.

STEP 2 - Now that Link can see, he'll note that Rukkus never turns his back to Link. You can go in any direction but he'll always face Link and do his fire breathe attack. This is where Link must use the dungeon item, The Cane of Phantom Sound.

So Link swings The Cane of Phantom Sound and Rukkus hears it and turns around to attack the other side of the dungeon room. This is the moment where Link must equip his sword and slash at the monster's tail. It will SCREAM in pain and the monster's scream is just as loud as it's roar. It causes rocks from the ceiling of the cavern to fall and all the lanterns to burn out.

Link fools the Rukkus into thinking he is behind him!

STEP 3 - REPEAT the process just mentioned above a second time.

STEP 4 - After Link does all that a second time, Rukkus changes his attack up a bit. Now when he blows fire it's much longer and more continuous. Link must run away from it and up the pathway, which will light all the lanterns as the monster's fire breathe follows, right behind Link. Remember, he only has so long before the windy cavern blows them all out and he is in pitch black darkness again. Once they are all lit and he can see the monster again, he must use the Cane of Phantom Sound and the monster will turn around. But as Link approaches to slash it's tail this time, it raises an ear... becoming wise to his tactic... it turns around quickly, knocking Link's sword out of his hand and breaking it into pieces. Link's fairy (or whatever buddy he has on his quest) tells him something like "Oh no Link! How can we ever defeat this thing without a sword. ... ... wait what's that?" The camera zooms in on the source of Rukkus' blindness. An ancient sword of some kind stuck in it's giant eye. "If we can get that sword out of it's eye we could slay it with it!"

STEP 5 - Link once again runs from the fire breathe and up the pathway letting the fire light the lanterns in the room so he can see. Since Rukkus never turns his back to you, Link simply traverses up the pathway around the edge of the dungeon again (Rukkus won't breathe fire at first, there will be a slight delay giving him time) and when he gets level to the face... Link pulls the sword from the monster's eye. You will lock onto the sword and then repeatedly have to push the A button on the controller to pull it. If you take too long and don't press the A button fast enough the beast will reel back and you'll have to try again. The first attempt won't work, it will only come out halfway and Rukkus will let out a huge scream as Link tries to take out the sword... the scream is so loud it causes rocks to continuously fall from the ceiling for the rest of the battle as the cavern begins to cave in on itself. Link must now dodge falling rocks too! Not only that, but the pathway around the cavern to light the lanterns has broken apart at one point higher up, so he must swing across using his whip or hookshot when lighting the lanterns again (keep in mind he is also running from the monster's fire breathe at this point to light them), adding a bit to the challenge. On his second attempt, however, Link is able to pull out the sword completely and he acquires a new item!

*dum dum dum dummmmm*
"You've acquired the ANCIENT SWORD OF LIGHT, this item was used in a battle long ago to blind this beast! It seems to hold some kind of power, you can feel it as you hold the blade in your hands."

STEP 6 - After removing the blade from it's eye, the beast screams louder than before and even more rocks fall and all the lanterns go out. It's winced eye now opens with the sword removed... and it glares angrily, with a yellowish eerie glow to it's bloodshot eye, directly at Link. Link's fairy (partner) says, "Uh oh! It looks like that sword being stuck in it's eye kept it from being able to see! Maybe removing it wasn't such a good idea. Now what do we do?" ... then ... "Wait, the sword seems to be doing something!" The sword glows a bright and shimmering white that illuminates the entire room. The monster reels back in pain from the bright light and shuts it's eye tight. Link's fairy (or whatever partner) adds, "We'll blind you yet!" From here on out no lanterns are needed.

You will have to sheathe your sword to use the Cane of Phantom Sound. When you do the light in the room will go out and you will have a limited time to use the cane before the monster can see out of it's eye again, and it's much more deadly when it can see. It's eye will slowly open and blink. If you wait too long the monster's attack will take a LARGE portion of your hearts so you don't want to let that happen, especially if you are already close to death. Use the Cane of Phantom Sound while dodging the falling rocks and hit the beasts tail for the final time to defeat it!

//AFTERMATH//
After the battle has been won Rukkus will let out one last ear piercing shriek and Link will cover his ears in pain! The entire cavern caves in on itself and buries Rukkus in rock as he falls to the ground dead. Sunlight from outside shines through a hole in the opening of the cavern and lights the spot where Rukkus once stood. Now buried in rock with only it's hand and part of it's head peeking out, Link can climb to the top of the rock pile to claim his prize and warp back to the outside of the dungeon. Oh, and get a new heart piece too, of course.

//CLOSING COMMENTS//
Hope you guys enjoyed it, I had fun making this up. I called the monster "Rukkus" because it's a play on words. Like to make a ruckus, a loud noise. haha. Also I imagine this boss battle using a lot of cool lighting effects, so that it would be a very beautiful spectacle to behold during battle. I used the Wind Waker art style in my picture I made just because it's my favorite. I purposefully did NOT show Rukkus in the image because I wanted to leave that up to the reader's imagination more than anything. The picture is there to give you an idea of the "arena" with the pathway, lanterns and the Cane of Phantom Sound and how it would look in use to make more sense out of my boss battle description.
Last Edited by Hey! Listen!; 01-13-2010 at 04:07 AM. Reason:
  #124 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 2

~Ancient Twilight Prisoner~
~Saanhaddao~

Appearance
Saanhaddao is a twilight being, so he is completely black. He has red eyes. He wears full body armor and has shackles on his hands and feet. He carries two swords and has spiked boots. He is humanoid, and about twice link’s size.

He is a boss from the final castle. He is NOT the final boss.

Attacks
Slash-Slashes with swords.
Stomp- Stomps on you
Reflect- reflects projectiles with swords.
Chain slap- Swings arms like a madman, swinging chains
Falling stab- Jumps high in the air, and comes down with his swords facing down.

Items Necessary
Hoverboots
Claw/hookshot
Iron Boots
Platinum Gauntlets

Phases
Phase 1
He uses stomp, slash, and reflect. You have to use claw/hookshot to remove his armor and throw it at him. Once it is all gone, you move to phase 2
Phase 2
He uses all his moves now. Grab his chains with the iron boots on and use platinum gauntlets to swing him into spikes on the wall. Get him four times and move to phase 3
Phase 3
He uses falling stab, and the floor breaks. Quickly put on the hoverboots and glide down with him. In this game, hoverboots slow your fall, but don’t die out. You fall at the same rate he does. Slash his red spots from where he hit the spikes to finish him. You land in the final boss’s chamber.

Arena
You enter through a door and slowly glide down. You look around. The room is cylindrical, the ceiling is a hundred feet up, and so is the door. The walls are covered in spikes. There is no where to go. Suddenly, Saanhaddao falls from the ceiling and attacks.
  #125 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2010, 06:04 AM
#firstworldproblems

The List of Entries has been updated. There is a total of 44 entries. The competition is getting tight. There are 4 days left to enter the contest. A deadline extension may still be considered.

Good luck!
Last Edited by IGNIS; 01-06-2010 at 06:14 AM. Reason:
  #126 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2010, 08:35 AM
triforceguy1 triforceguy1 is a male United Kingdom triforceguy1 is offline
Anouki
Send a message via Skype™ to triforceguy1
View Posts: 52

Hi,

I was just wondering that when you do the top 50, could the judges give one positive and one negative point about each boss.

Thanks
Leon

Create by <emc>
Visit his Graphic Shop!

"There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And it's filled with people who are filled with s**t
And the vermin of the world inhabit it.

But not for long..."
Sweeney Todd
  #127 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 8

hey you know the 2nd and 3rd prize winners right. what if they dont have any of the 3 consoles mentioned. and for first place, does the winner get to pick a color for the dsi?
  #128 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2010, 03:28 PM
lou you le
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
View Posts: 13,451

Quote:
Originally Posted by triforceguy1 View Post
Hi,

I was just wondering that when you do the top 50, could the judges give one positive and one negative point about each boss.

Thanks
Leon
I'd guess that the judges would be under too much stress to do that. I heard that they were only doing this for the 1st place entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendofreak321 View Post
hey you know the 2nd and 3rd prize winners right. what if they dont have any of the 3 consoles mentioned. and for first place, does the winner get to pick a color for the dsi?
I'm not completely sure, but I think that he's going to offer DS games and possibly PSP games.

As for the thing about choosing the DSi color, I actually want to know this too.

What does Double A really want? || "An awesome companion" || Bored?
Quote:
[8:29:31 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: so I ran away cos 40 year old women are not attractive
[8:29:40 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: but it was a dream so I couldnt run
  #129 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 1
SKULL QUEEN DESC-KA

SKULL QUEEN DESC-KA
APPERANCE=
=CHARED SKIN LIKE A PEPPERWOULD LOOK IF U BURNT IT, FOUR VAINY ARMS AND HANDS WITH RINGS DOUBLE SPIKED
WRISTBANDS WITH SKULLS ON THE BIGGER BANDS FACING TEETH UP,TWISTED RED NAILS CURLING VARIOUSLY SLIGHTLY
=BLAK HAIR ,LONG MIDDLE BUN AT THE TOP OF THE HEAD WITH LOOSE RED STREAKS
RED STREAKED FRONT BANGS RIGHT SIDE BUN BALL BUN AND LEFT SIDE
=RED EYELINER SPIKED LIPS AFRICAN APPERANCE
=FOUR COBRAS ATTACHED TO A BACK CAPE RIBBED CAGE ARMOUR CUPPING THE BREASTS AND
LOWER ABDOMIN FURRY NECK COLLAR WITH SKULLS ON THE TIPS OF THE RIBS PERTRUDING
=A BIG SKULL NECKLACE WITH A FLAT CIRCULAR DIAMOND AND MATCHING EARINGS
=TORN RAGGED SILKY RED AND BLACK FADED DRESS CUT AT THE MIDSECTION
BEADED SKULLS AND DIAMOND ROPES ATTACHED TO THE WAIST
=A WAND THE SAME HEIGHT AS HER ,-----FOUR SKULL DIAMONDS----- FOUR SPIKES ON A LOOP WITH
A MAGIK BALL FLOATTING,THE BOOTOM HAS A SKULL CLUSTER

FLYING BONE BEAST
=SHE ALSO SITS ON A BIG FLYING MECHINACLBLOODED SKULL BEAST ,WITH A RED FACED MONKY THAT HELPS HER FLY IT
=HE HAS THREE EYES THE PINACLE TO FORM A LAZER,
=BONED WINGS
=WRIST ATTACHMENT WITH A CRESENT MOON SHAPPED BLADE HE CAN EJECT
=BONE TAIL

MECHANICAL MONKEY
HE HAS A RED FACE WITH TWO SMALL HORNS
=ANTENAS AND SATELITES FROM HEAD AND BACK
=COVERED IN WIRES A ND SPARKING PLUGS
=BIG TAIL WITH BIP PLUG
=HE CAN SHOOT SPARK BALLS

SHE LIVES IN A SKYSCRAPPER CASTLE IN A ROOM WITH 8 MEDUSSA SNAKE PILLARS THAT COME TO LIFE
SHE HAS A BALCHONY THAT U CAN IFGHT THE BIG BEAST ON

ANOTHER PART OF THE BATTLE IS FINDING THE FOUR SKULL DIAMONDS THAT FIT IN HER WAND,THEIR GUARDED
BY 4 MASSIVE BONE PILES THAT COME TO LIFE IN VARIOS PARTS OF HER CASTLE

ONCE YOU GET TO THE FINAL STAGE SHELL FIGHT YOU AND WIN THE DIAMONDS BACK MAKING HER EVEN MORE
POWERFULL

PT 1
SKULL PILES 1-4

PT 2
1ST FIGHT=SKULL QUEEN CONFRONTATION DIAMOND THEIF
2ND=QUEEN ON BEAST FOUR PILLARS(FLYING OUTSIDE)
3RD=SPARK MONKY QUEEN FOUR PILARS
4TH=QUEEN PILLARS
END
  #130 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 4,489

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
Leon
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'll probably be jotting down things while I go through entries for judging. If someone would like to see what I noted about their entry and my opinions on it, they are more than welcome to ask.

I would like to note, however, that I may take a bit of time to get back to anyone who requests this information.
  #131 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Irving View Post
The List of Entries has been updated. There is a total of 44 entries. The competition is getting tight. There are 4 days left to enter the contest. A deadline extension may still be considered.

Good luck!
Cool! Many entries to toughen up the contest

If there is an extension for the time period, then would it be possible to know a few days earlier? Im just finishing up my boss. I've been working on it since the thread started with a few basic idea's. And now im mostly finished. I had some time to work on him during Christmas break too. Hopefully my entry would be done by late today or tomorrow. Fixing up grammar mistakes and editing as much as possible.
  #132 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2010, 08:55 PM
#firstworldproblems

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
Leon
Usually, only the top 5 entries get some sort of commentary. If some of the judges decide to type up some comments as they go, they can post them up upon request/if they want. Last time, all the entries were re-posted with their corresponding place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendofreak321 View Post
I'm opening up DS and PSP games as well (I'll add that to the OP later). The winner picks any color for their DSi.
  #133 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2010, 08:58 PM
lou you le
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
View Posts: 13,451

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-hero View Post
Cool! Many entries to toughen up the contest

If there is an extension for the time period, then would it be possible to know a few days earlier? Im just finishing up my boss. I've been working on it since the thread started with a few basic idea's. And now im mostly finished. I had some time to work on him during Christmas break too. Hopefully my entry would be done by late today or tomorrow. Fixing up grammar mistakes and editing as much as possible.
*evil grin*

Looking forward to it, silver-hero. You placed 6th last time, right?

What does Double A really want? || "An awesome companion" || Bored?
Quote:
[8:29:31 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: so I ran away cos 40 year old women are not attractive
[8:29:40 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: but it was a dream so I couldnt run
Last Edited by Double A; 01-06-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason:
  #134 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Goron
Send a message via AIM to Hey! Listen!
View Posts: 248

Wow some of you guys entries are really long haha. I hope mine isn't too "light" or anything. I came up with mine all at once with some minor adjustments today and yesterday. I would have entered sooner, but I only just noticed the contest a few days ago or so... I usually stick to the Future Zelda area haha. *shudders at the thought of those who have been working on this since Nov!*

Good luck to everyone!!!
  #135 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
*evil grin*

Looking forward to it, silver-hero. You placed 6th last time, right?

Just kidding . Yeah, i did place 6th last time. But i think 5th on ZU alone. Hopefully, the boss i created this time is better. Just checked out your boss. Seems really creative. So the contest is on
  #136 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-07-2010, 05:44 AM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 22

when could you let us know if the deadline will be extended?
  #137 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-07-2010, 05:47 AM
#firstworldproblems

^I'll let you all know later today.
  #138 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-07-2010, 08:54 PM
TheGhostOfMandrag TheGhostOfMandrag is a male United States TheGhostOfMandrag is offline
Powerless to Resist
View Posts: 8,872

Story

Prince (Selig) wants to take over the throne, princess (Zelda) tried to tattle on him, prince has princess imprisoned, princess befriends reluctant young prison guard (Link), guard breaks princess out of prison, princess is left with former caretaker (Impa), princess sends ex-guard out on missions to thwart prince.

Objective

A rumor (paraphrased) heard by the princess Zelda several months ago:
There’s a book with some nasty magical stuff in it. The scholar who wrote it freaked right the **** out when he realized the knowledge would be dangerous in unfit hands. And so he hid it in a cave. He sealed the entrance and protects it to this day, willing to unseal it for someone who he deems ethical enough that they’d never misuse it and strong enough to keep others from doing so.
The prince Selig befriended a knight by the name of Ugnyr and convinced him that the King was possessed by a demon that conspires to destroy the kingdom (but apparently hadn’t done it yet for some reason). Ugnyr has a strict moral code and great strength and skill, making it probable that Selig would send him to retrieve it.
The book must be kept from Selig at all costs. Preferably to brought to Zelda to examine it, but to be destroyed if necessary.

Gaining Entrance

Link comes to the canyon above which the rumored cave sits. A bridge leads to a narrow plateau in the center; another bridge leads from the plateau to the cave.
Link enters the cave, finding the doorway already open. A man stands nervously in the center of the room. The man notices Link and introduces himself as Shaelos, tells him that he has been waiting for the knight he sent in to return, that he worried for his safety.
Link is upset by this.
Shaelos tells Link that he feels he can trust him, and asks him to go in and lend assistance to the knight.

The Dungeon

Shaelos’ Storehouse

Reminiscent of reality, but a few rules work quite differently. Light and shadow are reversed; everything is naturally blinding white in the absence of a source of shade and darkness radiates. Magnets repel un-magnetized iron. Specific obstacles (pits, damaging surfaces, and pressure-activated switches) and quiet enemies can only affect Link if he can see them.
The puzzles will be based on darkening/lightening specific areas, magnets and Iron Boots will be used to jump/hover, and a lot of walking backwards.

The Miniboss

Ugnyr

A large rectangular area, doors sealed off. Rocks and boulders and crumbling walls form several waist-to-chest-high barriers. There is no ceiling here, revealing a cloudless midnight blue with a black sun in the center. Ugnyr is armed with a sword, shield, and bow, wearing a full suit of armor. He wears a patch over his right eye, the sign of a previous encounter with Link. His tactics are of sneak attacks with the sword, and shooting Link with his bow whenever he looks directly at him from a distance.
In this place, reality is partly reliant on being observed in some way. Ugnyr understands this in a way Link could only hope to. When not seen, Ugnyr exists as a crowd of probability; being simultaneously anywhere and everywhere that the eye cannot see. He is ducking under a boulder, he is pressing his back to a wall, he is standing in a black cloud of direct sun-dark, he is he is right behind you. Ugnyr will jump down behind a half-wall and seconds later fall from above camera directly in front of you. His position is whatever he wants it to be, and cannot be predicted.
But he cannot hurt you unless you can see him. Ugnyr must be noticed again before he can strike, causing a delay between showing up and you getting owned. During this brief pause you must predict and counter, block, or evade his attack. Successfully not getting surprise-attacked will leave Ugnyr trying to run back into hiding, giving you a fair chance to lash out at him. He will fight back to get away, but you’ve fought him on equal grounds before and you know his tricks.
Cutscene kicks in upon defeating him: Link knocks Ugnyr’s helmet off, snagging his eye patch and yanking it off him in the process. Ugnyr retreats, admitting defeat. Once he has left, Link notices the eye patch and picks it up. An armored hand reaches in from off-screen in the background and takes the helmet.

The Treasure

Ugnyr’s Eye Patch

Ugnyr seems to have been here for quite some time. The patch he normally wears over his right eye (socket) has taken on a property of the storehouse’s unique reality: anything obscured by the eye patch cannot affect the wearer. Ugnyr was oblivious to this happening to his eye patch (for obvious reasons) but would certainly have come back for it if he had.
Link, having two good eyes, can switch it from one eye to the other to get the most use out of its effect.
Used in the Storehouse it removes vision from one eye (one half of the TV screen), allowing you to safely ignore whatever’s to that side of you, used outside of the Storehouse, it does that exact same thing even though you’re out of the storehouse.
It’s dangerous to use it when in combat, as one of your arms will be obscured and therefore cannot affect anything. Whilst the patch is applied, any item held in the obscured hand is unusable, meaning two-handed items and either the sword or shield will be unusable while the patch is on.
More dungeon exploration and puzzles with a new side-oriented focus. As would be expected

The Boss Room

Link enters a room, ceiling so high you can’t see the top, round floor, lots of empty space. In the center is a pedestal, with a darkening torch on either side to provide visibility, upon the pedestal is an open book. The door seals closed behind him, loudly.
Link cautiously approaches the book, fully expecting to be interrupted we he reaches for it.
He picks up the book, flips through a few pages, and cannot for the life of him decipher the symbols he’s looking at.
A portal to the exit appears. He takes one last look around the room and finds nothing, and pockets the book. The player is free to leave.
Link is warped out of the dungeon to the entrance. The cave is empty. The player leaves the cave. There is a storm building outside.
The player crosses the first bridge and approaches the second.
A cutscene begins, showing Link looking out over where the second bridge is supposed to be. He runs back to the other side of the plateau, to see the second bridge fall into the abyss. A large rock flies in from off-screen and hits the back of his head, knocking him unconscious. Fade to black.
It fades back in, the storm in full force, Link completely soaking wet. He stands to see Shaelos standing near the opposite edge, the book in his hands. He appears to be shouting something, but it cannot be heard over the wind and rain. A gust blows him over the edge. Everything beyond the edge of the plateau turns completely white. The storm suddenly stops as the sky is whitened as well.
A giant, blacked-out human figure descends gently from off screen. The only visible feature is its glowing white eyes.

SHAELOS
Perversion of Divinity

There is no music, no sound but those made by Link. Shaelos slowly walks towards Link, staring blankly in his direction. Weapons bounce off him when he is attacked, but he will shield his eyes from projectiles. He simply approaches Link and picks him up if he gets close enough. When held, the player must frantically mash buttons to get free as Shaelos calmly walks towards the boundary, extends his arm, and lets Link fall down into the abyss.
Otherwise completely calm and slow, Shaelos will not allow the camera to leave him. Should the camera be adjusted, he will rush to stay in the center at all costs. Should you look over the edge of a cliff he will dive towards Link and grab him, keeping his hand on camera if nothing else.
With nothing else to try, and/or a memory of dungeon bosses stemming from dungeon items in the rest of the ****ing series, you might as well put on the eye patch.
Shaelos’ behavior doesn’t change, aside from a nervous twitchiness. You can hear faint music from the obstructed side of the screen.
Switch the patch to your other eye for a sudden and dramatic shift in the visuals. The background white has shifted to black, Shaelos’s soft black form has turned white and jagged, instead of his eyes his face features nothing but black nostrils and a large black mouth full of pointed, gleaming white, teeth, his fingers and toes have taken on sharpened ends.
The music kicks in at full volume, slow but nervous with no clear melody.
Shaelos in his white form is blind, so he kneels down and sniffs the air, crawling slowly toward Link’s position, checking direction again every few steps. He still has a strong camera orientation sense and will resort to the same tactics as the black form.
At this point switching the patch back to the first eye will put the fight back how it was, with the gentle black Shaelos and the harsh white sky and the lack of music, should you ever feel the need to do so. Taking the patch all the way off won’t change his state at all, but will give you full command of your inventory so it’s advisable.
If white-form Shaelos gets close enough to Link he will pounce on him and slash with his claws or, alternatively, pick him up and chew on him.
Weapons do not hurt this form, but they do not bounce off, either. He will turn in the direction he was struck from and slash wildly.
When an arrow does not bounce off, it sticks in (up to ten at a time, so it will be noticeable). Being blind, white-Shaelos cannot defend himself. Black-Shaelos never bothered to defend himself, save in one place. Take these factoids together and a solution presents itself.
White-Shaelos must be shot in the face. More specifically, shot where his eyes belong. Upon lodging an arrow where his eye goes, he must be switched back to his black state, and the arrow will be where his eye appears and, finally, you’ve hurt him. Black-Shaelos holds his face and stumbles backwards, falling off of the cliff. The whiteness is sucked down after him, bringing back the outside world, and the storm has gotten much stronger.
The ground softens to mud, dirty water cascades from the edges. A gray hand reaches up from below, and sinks its fingers into the mud. Another hand follows. A gray head rises up, with Shaelos’s full facial features all at once. He stands the rest of the way up, revealing the muddy plateau to be waist-high. He looks down at Link and slowly smiles. The white-Shaelos music comes back, now faster and with a lead melody.
Gray-Shaelos’ method of attack is simple enough: being as big as he is, he simply punches at Link’s position. The mud being everywhere slows Link’s movement, rendering dodging largely useless, and Gray-Shaelos is so large that defending does nothing whatsoever. His punches can be stopped by shooting his eyes, but that angers him and makes him punch twice rapidly after he recovers.
You cannot dodge, defend, counter, or delay with any success. To avoid taking damage, you stick with the eye patch and its probability-altering nature. Obstruct your vision of the arm doing the punching and it will crash down without touching you, causing it to become stuck in the mud somewhere off-screen. He will grab at the wrist with his other hand and try to pull himself free. His stuck hand being the only point low enough to reach, jump to the back of his hand and stab it.
He screams with pain and anger, and brings down his other hand to crush Link. If he has any brains, Link gets the **** out the way, leaving both of Shaelos’ hands stuck in the mud. Shaelos is struggling to get them free. Link is free to stab the top hand, but that’s just mean and accomplishes nothing.
With his pulling-both-his-hands-free bent-over posture, Shaelos’ arms are outstretched and fairly level, making it possible to run along his arm. (Which is advised.) Proceed with caution, however, as he’s shaking violently and the wind is blowing strong. Iron boots are not advised to deal with the gusts, as they will only make the shaking a bigger obstacle. At any point you can stick your sword into him to keep still in the face of wind or movement, keeping Link in place until you manually decide to move, and causing Shaelos to shout angrily.
Making your way to his shoulders, you should plant your sword down, as about now he’ll manage to get his hands free and stand straight up (it’s possible to just move to correct for this, but that’s certainly the harder route). At this point you must be wary of his hands, with which he can grab Link and throw him down, and his mouth, with which he can bite Link and spit him down. Shooting him in the eyes will likely result in Link falling down, and is not advised.
The only specific area in reach is a bulging neck-muscle, which will be indicated by Z-targeting, so slash the **** out of it. After beating the muscle into submission Shaelos (un-dodge-ably) will throw Link back to the muddy plateau and cover this muscle with the adjacent hand. His head now leans to the opposite side. He will not remove his hand from this spot, meaning he’ll only punch from once side from this point on.
As he hasn’t quite learned from this point, the eye patch can again be used to make him get his hand stuck. Now trying to pull it free without using his other hand, he’ll go straight to his back-arching, arm-leveling stance. Climb up this arm and slash the opposite sternocleidomastoid muscle (yes, I looked it up) until it, too, is in such pain it cannot be used. After sufficiently wailing it, Shaelos’ head will hang forward, too weak to raise itself up.
He’s back to using both hands, sacrificing the comfort of his neck for the satisfaction of being able to kill Link more easily. Beyond just punching, he now also sweeps and claps. These being slower, they are interrupted when his hands are struck, even by the sword. When he does punch at Link, use the same trick of making him miss. When his first hand sticks down, he ignores it in favor of punching at Link with the second hand. Once both hands are stuck, take your pick and climb up his arm as he struggles to get free.
Now that his neck cannot be raised, you are able to walk on his upper back and neck, as well as on top of his head. Hovering a few feet, above his head, you find the book. Its covers open, its pages flapping wildly in the wind. You unleash a barrage of sword strikes and/or arrows, whatever you prefer, until you notice that Shaelos got a hand free and, hopefully, dodge his attempt to pluck Link from his head and throw him down. If you fail, you’ve gotta climb all the way back up. Because I’m mean like that.
Deal several blows to the book at it will fall down, prompting you to do a finishing blow.

Victory

Link stabs through the spine of the book, into Shaelos’ head. Shaelos lurches forward, causing Link to fall off his head, leaving the sword behind.
Shaelos stands fully upright, whipping his head upward (with momentum) screaming. Lightning strikes the sword planted in his head, causing the book to burst into flames. He shouts with fear and reaches to pull the sword out. Lightning hits it again several times in rapid succession. The book explodes, and Shaelos falls down onto the plateau. The storm begins to clear.
Link stands up, soaking wet and covered with mud. Shaelos begins to slide back off of the plateau. Link trudges clumsily through the mud as fast as he is able, falls forward, and grabs the hilt of his sword, pulling it free just before Shaelos drops down out of reach.
A loud explosion is heard, followed by plumes of black and white smoke. A charred Heart Container falls from the sky, splatting into the mud. Rain rinses it clean before it lets up completely.
The camera pans down to reveal that the canyon has become partly flooded, raising the water high enough to safely dive into, and the remains of the bridge out form a ladder on the opposite wall.
  #139 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-07-2010, 08:59 PM
TheGhostOfMandrag TheGhostOfMandrag is a male United States TheGhostOfMandrag is offline
Powerless to Resist
View Posts: 8,872

I was far along in my original boss entry and somebody told me that I made Gamera. Had to start from scratch.
  #140 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-07-2010, 09:34 PM
#firstworldproblems

Attention:

I've decided to push the deadline to January 30, 2010.

*Edits OP*

Any comments/entries/questions, post away.

Tags
boss, contest, design, lupus, prize, wolf