Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 362
The future of Ganon

Judging by some of the posts I've read on this board, it seems as though the fans (or at least some of them) think that Ganon is losing his credibility as a villain. I've seen a lot of people calling for Ganon to be replaced by a new main villain, but everyone knows that's never going to happen. The best we can hope for is that Ganon's character is written a way that might shut up the naysayers.

So what would you want to happen for Ganon to regain his credibility?

Do you want his backstory to be fleshed out more? What kind of backstory should he be given?
Do you want to see his motives change, perhaps to something more sinister?
Or maybe you just want him to do some really evil stuff to let the player know he's serious business?
Or do you have another idea?

Or perhaps you're completely fine with the way he is already?
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Mr C is also fine
View Posts: 892
Re: The future of Ganon

He's overused.

He keeps popping up and in some occasions such as TP tacked on badly stealing another villains thunder purely for fanage with the same lame kidnapping spree, and everytime he's defeated by a little boy, How many times can that happen to a villain and not lose credibility? He's never seemed to moved on from goating atop a tower doing nothing during the game eitherway, what would "Shut up neysayers" is to give him a hiatus, and make other villains that are not generic and throwaway and use Ganon/dorf less so that when he does appear it gives the character more meaning.

Ganondorf has become Zeldas Team Rocket.
Last Edited by Celvantis; 10-03-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Luthien Tinuviel Luthien Tinuviel is a female France Luthien Tinuviel is offline
Je me souviens maintenant et toujours
View Posts: 1,621

I myself would prefer a new main villain. It kinda gets annoying when in every Zelda game Ganon always has similar attacks, he always gets sealed, etc. It is kinda old.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Knight of Skyloft
Send a message via Skype™ to Explodia!
View Posts: 839

I agree. Though beating Ganon in OoT or ALttP is always fun, he is used way too much.

I mean, a new villian would be nice. I liked Onox in OoS. He was actually a fight. Fighting Ganon is too damn easy.

Ahh! Explodia! It's not possible!
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 03:03 PM
the battler
Send a message via AIM to TheBattler
View Posts: 1,105

Ganon isn't overused.

It's just that he's been used in the wrong way in recent games.

But really, even then, the naysayers don't have much of an argument. For FSA, yes, he was sort of tacked on. For Twilight Princess, hell no. The entire game was building up for him to appear. If you played OoT, you'd know that Ganondorf wouldn't have simply been killed on the Child Timeline.

What most people should actually complain about is how much screentime Ganon gets. For the games of LttP and prior, Ganon appears at the end, as the "mastermind." In OoT and WW, Ganondorf is visible at certain points throughout the entire game, which is perfect, and I'm certain what most people want.

For Ganon to be used properly and be warmly received, there can't be another villain involved, or at least, he needs to be involved alongside a villain in all the games events.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,337

i think Ganondorf needs to appear more often throughout the story. what I saw with TP was that Ganondorf just popped out in the middle of the game and said: "I was the bad guy all along! MEEEE!" and then dissappeared to the last room of the last dungeon for the rest of the game. it would be nice if his precise motives are revealed throughout the game. In fact, it would be a nice twist if Zelda took a page from Paper Mario's book and allow you to play as Ganondorf at certain points in the game and you go about trying to accomplish certain stages of the plan, like stealing an artifact from a temple, or killing off a potentially problematic sage. if Ganondorf had more of a presence throughout the game, he migh not come off as stale as he does.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 04:29 PM
These aren't the Droids you're looking for.
View Posts: 1,524

I don't really care either way. Should they get a new villan or not doesn't matter to me, I love Ganondorf either way.

"OH LOOK AT ME I'M VICTOR AND I'M A GENIUS. OHHHH." -- Tess
"Vicky Z. You are my pokemon." -- Melpomene
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 05:16 PM
PrimeMaterialDuelist PrimeMaterialDuelist is a male United States PrimeMaterialDuelist is offline
The Duelist With 100Hearts
Send a message via AIM to PrimeMaterialDuelist
View Posts: 495
Unhappy

ganondorf has been in every game except MM,PH,MC,& 1more i cant think of.
meaning hes been in the entire series almost, hes old used up played out,& just plain pathetic, ganondorf has finally been finished as of TP, let him die for the sack of the series
PLEASE!

we need new villians,or maybe majoras mask should return, at least something that will spice up the series again ^_^
new villians are always fun,cuz it adds more onto it ^_^

if they do bring back ganondorf, turn him into a good guy thatll really mix stuff up & maybe he can then get some screen time but other than that just let him die please.
O'Neill: "I'm telling you Teal'c, If we don't get out of this soon I'm going to lose it... Lose it, means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in control of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal... WACKO!"

"I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?"
―The Doctor
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Zeldassavior Zeldassavior is a male United States Zeldassavior is offline
Goron
View Posts: 274

I like the current ways. I kind of wish he would get some apprentices or something. You know, something new to fight. I never mind seeing Ganon, just switch it up.

Never Played
Played Beaten 100% Completion

LOZ AOL ALTTP
LA OOT MM OOS OOA FS WW FSA MC TP PH ST SS
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Goron
View Posts: 228

I wouldn't mind seeing a new villain, just as long as he/she/it had a creative backstory, multiple appearances, and was fun/challenging to battle.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Ganon again, but there would have to be a few changes:

We need more information on his backstory- where he came from, how he got where he is, what he's doing to try and accomplish whatever his evil plan is

We should see him more than just a couple times in the game, or at least get a clearer idea of exactly what kind of damage he's doing- I think it would be good to have various battles with him throughout the game, with the final being the most epic/challenging of all

Different fighting techniques (NO MORE TENNIS!)- give us a new, creative, and challenging final boss fight

Regardless of who the main villain(s) is(are), all of these conditions should apply.
Last Edited by funkyd90; 10-03-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Most interesting man in the world
View Posts: 1,780

I would not mind seeing him again, as long as they mix things up a bit. I would like atleast a little backstory for him, perhaps a new motive other than him being evil for the sake of being evil. Get rid of the ganons tower thing. No more stupid energy ball volleys in fights against him. Also, I would like to actually see him be evil. You never actually see him do anything, just the after math of him taking over. One exception to this being when he kills the sage in TP, but other than that. So yeah, just change him up a bit and I'll resume enjoying him as a villain, though he should take a break for 1 or 2 games.

sig by Zorathan
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Guardian Dragon
Send a message via Skype™ to Fitoleon
Steam ID: lolsteam :P
View Posts: 2,237

There's nothing wrong with Ganon/dorf himself, it's just the way he's used. In more recent games, he's been tacked on to the ending of games, revealed to be the main villain. I'd just like a little more backstory on him - why he's evil, what his grand scheme is, but most importantly how he revives all the time. An undisputed canon game that explains Ganon's continual resurrections would be great for time-liners (unlike Ancient Stone Tablets which is disputed as canon or not).
If they were to get rid of Ganon, I'd love for a Majora's Mask backstory explanation or another game with Vaati or a sinister character like Zant.
Either way, they need something to spice up the series and a reinvention or downright replacement of Ganon would be a step in the right direction.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Knight of Skyloft
Send a message via Skype™ to Explodia!
View Posts: 839

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyd90
(NO MORE TENNIS!)
I agree. It was interesting the first time, now it's like Ganny is an evil pro tennis player.

Ahh! Explodia! It's not possible!
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 08:52 PM
copyright lololol
Send a message via Skype™ to Tess
Steam ID: toastytessums Wii U ID: toastytessums

View Posts: 2,691

I would like to see him again, but with more back story and screen time. I want to know why he's there, why he wants Hyrule, etc. Wind Waker did this to my liking, but I want more. :3

More screen time would be nice. I don't want to see him 3 times, then to the final battle.

I also want him to be more difficult. I want him to have different, quicker, and more powerful attacks.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 126

i think that they should show a more sinister side of him and build his character more
i personally think they should make one final game involving ganon and have him defeated permanently and then build a new antagonist
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Axis Powers
View Posts: 2,443

I actually find it quite ironic that people think Ganondorf as being overused. He's in roughly 50% of Zelda games. Considering he's the main villain of the series, you'd think it would be a lot more. If anything, he's underused. Not that I can complain much. I don't mind a large variety of bosses in the Zelda series, but I also think that it couldn't hurt to use Ganondorf just a little more.

If Ganondorf were the main boss in the upcoming Zelda Wii, I wouldn't mind a bit. In fact, I expect him to be in it. There's a theory going around that the girl in this picture is the Master Sword. If this is indeed true, then Ganondorf's presence is inevitable, considering it's the Sword of Evil's Bane. I think his appearance would be good for the game, as long as he doesn't pull another TP.

In TP, it was highly implied that Zant would be the main villain. His thunder was later stolen by Ganondorf. If this doesn't happen in Zelda Wii, and Ganondorf is given a good role in the plot, I don't see a good reason for him not to be in the game.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Zeldablue777 Zeldablue777 is a female United States Zeldablue777 is offline
Light Spirit
View Posts: 6,851

Yeah, Ganon is a pretty big staple, but Ganondorf in particular has only been in 4 Zelda games. Thinking about it. Ganon started with one form, a demon pig. Then we're introduced to his first form, Ganondorf the Gerudo thief. I think it's time they make a new form...Ganonfrodamaru...the uh, man eating ummm, zombie demon, sword, person thing. Yes! Ganonfrodamaru the man-eating-zombie-demon-sword-person-THING!

I dunno, but a new form of Ganondorf wouldn't be too much of a stretch. I'm sure they can spice it up better then my attempt.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Anouki
View Posts: 56

i like gannon to be like in oot to knock the energy back at him but i like him to a diffrent power unlike transforming like really use the triforce of power
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2009, 03:52 PM
theGoronclub theGoronclub is a male United Kingdom theGoronclub is offline
Kokiri
View Posts: 92

i actually came up with an idea to try and make ganon more than just a final boss my idea being that every now and then whilst travelling through hyrule field ganondorf would come out to try and get rid of you because realistically if you were an evil villian and you had knowledge about a hero trying to get more items etc to try and defeat you naturally you would try and stop him/her and i just thought that would be cool and i can hear the hardcore fanboys yelling "but that would defeat the purpose of ganon being in the game as he exists only to be the final boss" and my retort is this... ganondorf is getting a bit boring as just the boss i mean in tp he got distracted by a fishing rod so surely you can see where im coming from anyways sorry for dragging this out thanks for reading and please reply
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 11

I honestly don't understand why anyone thinks Ganon is overused. He's the antithesis of Link. He's the third of the trio bound together throughout time by fate. How can he be overused, and in the Mario series, Bowser is not overused, despite being one of the most incompetent and least evil archenemies of all time?

Tags
future, ganon