Old 02-18-2012, 12:14 AM
Imagine chewing bubblegum with your butthole
Send a message via Skype™ to Sólsetur
Steam ID: solseturs

View Posts: 12,174
Re: The Land Wars V9: The Kingdoms

i vote yes to reinforcements

makes things more interesting

and yes, im siding with conman because the time it takes for you to get your troops there + the day that already passed + the time during the battle that they had solitude should be enough to get some troops into the skyrim's border.

not any large force, of course; that would take days to actually get there... or at least an effective means of transportation, and MB pretty much wiped that out. i think a reinforcement of 300 or so would be a believable amount, given the supplies they still have and the time given to them.

again, though, up to gamzee (and how i decide to interpret the ❤❤❤❤ you guys say! )

oh, and don't forget - there's nothing stopping Conman from getting reinforcements during a later point during the battle.

[11:32:44 PM] jordan: AM I THE WHY OF THE THINGS OR AM THE THINGS THE WHY OF I

Last Edited by Sólsetur; 02-18-2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #303 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2012, 02:36 AM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 4,001

Conman should have as much time (actually more, considering Solitude is closer to Conman's capital than yours) as you to get reinforcements. Really, Conman would have even MORE time, because it was earlier in the battle compared to the rest of the Skyrim battle, and as soon as he captured the capital, it would have made sense to call more reinforcements in immediately, to help defend their prize. So really, he WOULD have units there to defend before you got there, Sailboat, from how I understand it.
Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him, shall not perish, but have everlasting life.
The food stamp program, part of the Department of Agriculture, is pleased to be distributing the greatest amount of food stamps ever.

Meanwhile, the Park Service, also part of the Department of Agriculture, asks us, "please do not feed the animals" because, “the animals may grow dependent and not learn to take care of themselves.”

Go figure.

~Nayru Awards!~
Most Mature
Most Like Lando

#304 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2012, 04:00 AM
we have outfoxed the fox, which makes us very bloody foxy

View Posts: 4,877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midna Fan View Post
Sorry dude, that's just how it panned out. The cannons from the ironclad warships accounted for the early loss of your catapults, and once the enemy cannons and catapults were out of the way the few that were left were pretty much free to bombard your troops.
What do you mean by "the few that were left"? Are you referring to Conman's soldiers because if you are then I still had him outnumbered and out of his comfort zone. He was never free to bombard my troops as my whole plan was to flank the enemy forcing him into hand-to-hand combat.

Quote:
-Wait...robots? We have...robots? I thought the Dwarven Centurions were basically super-beefed-up dwarf guys.
And the reason I left you with five of them was 'cause I know you put a lot of stock in them, and I knew how much it'd suck to lose the battle, so in all honesty, I felt sorry for you and just threw those to you as survivors just to be nice.
They look like this.

Nothing too fancy, they're only programmed to kill

Quote:
True, you did. You wouldn't be expecting dark little mice and rats running around through fields to be spies, if you saw them at all, but your spy-seekers ran into Discord and DWGM's troops and had a big fight-out.
No, they certainly wouldn't have been able to cover the entire border on ANY side of your map. However, they could figure out where the accessible spots of your border are, and try to leave as very few of those spots unsupervised as possible.
Ok, my misunderstanding. I didn't realise that they were the size of actual mice and that my 4o warriors were in fact accounted for. Sorry!

It would take Conman much longer to get reinforcements considering he has to take his warships from Solitude back to his homeland and then all the way back to Solitude again. Sailboat on the other hand would only have to make one journey up the river.

My 5 Dwarven Centurions are also joining the house-warming party.
Last Edited by Sansa Stark; 02-18-2012 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #305 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2012, 06:04 AM
Light Spirit

"The few that were left" referring to Conman's warships.

???Those look pretty advanced...especially for a medieval/almost-world war I-type setting.

Yep, the mouseyclairs are all the size of mice to large rats. They can gnaw and nibble to attack the enemy if I need them to....but they're really most effective as spies .

Also, if you plan on having the Dwarven Centurions there, you and Sailboat should be in under one strategy, so I'd talk to him about it. Unless you were planning on attacking with them AFTER Sailboat's battle.
Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him, shall not perish, but have everlasting life.
The food stamp program, part of the Department of Agriculture, is pleased to be distributing the greatest amount of food stamps ever.

Meanwhile, the Park Service, also part of the Department of Agriculture, asks us, "please do not feed the animals" because, “the animals may grow dependent and not learn to take care of themselves.”

Go figure.

~Nayru Awards!~
Most Mature
Most Like Lando

#306 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2012, 08:50 AM
we have outfoxed the fox, which makes us very bloody foxy

View Posts: 4,877

Quote:
"The few that were left" referring to Conman's warships.
Like I said, he was forced into hand-to-hand combat. If Conman's warships took me out then they would have taken his own soldiers out as well. The only way his warships would be effective in the slightest during that part of the battle would be if he had insanely accurate missiles which pick people off one at a time.

Quote:
???Those look pretty advanced...especially for a medieval/almost-world war I-type setting.
Well they're taken from a medieval-equivalent setting. They're no more advanced than Conman's warships and evidently nowhere near as overpowered.

Quote:
Also, if you plan on having the Dwarven Centurions there, you and Sailboat should be in under one strategy, so I'd talk to him about it. Unless you were planning on attacking with them AFTER Sailboat's battle.
No way am I missing this badass party. I'll contact Sailboat about my R.S.V.P.
  #307 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Kaiser Conman21100 Kaiser Conman21100 is a male Prussia Kaiser Conman21100 is offline
Für Ihren Gott, dein Kaiser und das Vaterland!
View Posts: 2,022

Ok, I'm going to need to wait to see if those Dwarven Centurions are added to the strategy before I can write up my defense (so that I can add about how I'll deal with them).

Also, I still need to know the consensus about when this battle is happening and how reinformcements are going to work because I'm having trouble understanding the situation at the moment.
  #308 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2012, 08:36 PM
♪ Spooky, scary skeletons ♪
Send a message via Skype™ to zoraluigi
Steam ID: zoraluigi
View Posts: 1,855

Is there a reason no one's updated today? I guess I'm the only one not in a battle/planning a battle?
  #309 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Kaiser Conman21100 Kaiser Conman21100 is a male Prussia Kaiser Conman21100 is offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoraluigi View Post
Is there a reason no one's updated today? I guess I'm the only one not in a battle/planning a battle?
Well, I think it's because I haven't posted my defense strategy (which is something I can't do until I have my questions answered) and we also have some attack going on on Day 25 from MidnaFan. Because of those two things, I think the game might be on a "pause" at the moment.
  #310 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2012, 11:36 PM
jcd ; bionicman
Steam ID: OatsNraisin
View Posts: 17,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman21100 View Post
Well wait a second! While there isn't anything neccessarily wrong with attacking so quickly after an invasion (and keep in mind that I'm NOT complaining about that), I would like to know how in the world you got so many boys, and munitions, over to Solitude as lickety-split as you did if your attack is happening, in your own words, "literally moments after the battle?"

(NOTE: If I just accidentally read-over something about this in your defense strategy from the Invasion of Skyrim, because I did check though it again, then I'm sorry about that. Like I said earlier, I'm still a bit loopy from all the medication I'm on. )

Also, keep in mind that the conquering of Solitude was to occur early in the battle (if you take note of the general times I gave in my strategy) and thus your troops would still be in general combat with Discord's and DWGM's soldiers in the rest of Skyrim. As such, you couldn't possibly say that those troops you are using came from you're surviving men (which couldn't have been anyways because the troop types and amounts are different). Lastly, since my forces at Solitude would have had control of the city for a good while before the end of the entire invasion in itself, there should be quite a bit of time available for them to recieve enforcements from abroad, which is a reasonable thing to do considering the importance of the Three-Way Alliance keeping the capital so that it can hold onto all of Skyrim.
It goes a little something like this:
-Troops arrive to sabotage the vessels just before midnight
-they finish their business and retreat back to Hashiwato around 2 AM
-Pterogdolytes retreat
-Pterogdolytes reach Hashiwato much quicker than the ground units because they're fast
-Hear we're gonna take back Solitude so they fly out to meet the routing soldiers
-tell them to wait
-reinforcements come to meet the soldiers from the battle and tell them about the attack
-troops should arrive at around dawn

if any part of this doesn't make sense to you please inform me. This is intended to be an attack on the units garrisoned inside whatever's left of Solitude after the battle. If you are to return to Conmanstinople, gather more units and launch them out that should be considered a separate attack on Solitude all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midna Fan
It really doesn't matter how "advanced" any technology is, what matters is the tactical advantage they provide. Like, I could technically have an entire army of robots but if they serve the exact same function as footsoldiers because they really don't do anything a footsoldier can't. There's a difference between that and like an AT-AT that has armor and cannons and can bring units in/out of battle.

Plus, Dwemer(dwarven) Centurions are powered by magic, not science. They're basically just giant metal husks, enchanted with magic to move and kill.
Last Edited by JC Denton; 02-18-2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #311 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
It goes a little something like this:
-Troops arrive to sabotage the vessels just before midnight
-they finish their business and retreat back to Hashiwato around 2 AM
-Pterogdolytes retreat
-Pterogdolytes reach Hashiwato much quicker than the ground units because they're fast
-Hear we're gonna take back Solitude so they fly out to meet the routing soldiers
-tell them to wait
-reinforcements come to meet the soldiers from the battle and tell them about the attack
-troops should arrive at around dawn

if any part of this doesn't make sense to you please inform me. This is intended to be an attack on the units garrisoned inside whatever's left of Solitude after the battle. If you are to return to Conmanstinople, gather more units and launch them out that should be considered a separate attack on Solitude all together.
Oh...ok...so your attack isn't happening "literally moments" after the battle of Solitude but, instead, is happening about four or so hours afterward--while the full Invasion of Skyrim is just finishing up. If that's right, then I think I understand how this is working now. Thanks Sailboat.

And, though I don't mean to talk about this ahead of time, the reinforcements my allies and I were planning to re-fortify Solitude with were not neccessarily being brought there via my own remaining ships. Instead, we are actually going to be using some of the newly produced ships of Discord's little naval armada (which are made up of Ironclad Hydro-Electric Ships...or something like that ).

And, on a side-note (just for the hay-diddle of it), I agree that there's nothing wrong with MB's centurions. Magic robots are cool with me!
  #312 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Light Spirit

Problem with your reasoning Sailboat. All your pterogolodytes died in the battle via ranged attacks. BTW, over at a friends without computer, just my slow phone. I should post next tomorrow.

Go figure.

~Nayru Awards!~
Most Mature
Most Like Lando

#313 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Problem with your reasoning Sailboat. All your pterogolodytes died in the battle via ranged attacks. BTW, over at a friends without computer, just my slow phone. I should post next tomorrow.
Oh! It's funny you posted this MidnaFan because I remembered that there hadn't been any pterogolodytes listed in the surviving troops list for your mod. In fact, I went and checked your mod after I saw what Sailboat had written and was a bit confused on whether or not they surivived (to be honest, I thought you might have just forgotten them in the survivor list or something ). So, if that's the case, then I'm confused (again ) on just how this counter-attack is working...

I really am not trying to be a pest here by prodding you with the details Sailboat, but I just want to make sure I know what it going on before I publish my defense strategy. I guess timing really becomes important when it comes to a battle that is happening so quickly after another one.
  #314 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 AM
jcd ; bionicman

Quote:
Accounted for. Sorry about that, the text in the mod implied the Pterogdolytes were relatively successful.

And just out of curiosity, can anyone tell me the difference between an ironclad steamship and a hydroelectric ironclad steamship?
Last Edited by JC Denton; 02-19-2012 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Kaiser Conman21100
  #315 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Bard of Time
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/DirkStrider
View Posts: 4,552

Basically the same thing strategy wise. It's just a much more reliable and versatile power source.
  #316 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2012, 01:22 AM

Ok, now that all that is settled, the defense strategy will be up tomorrow. Sorry for the wait, but I've got to hit the sack.
  #317 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2012, 03:14 PM

WHOOP! DER IT IS!

THE GLORIOUS DEFENSE OF SOLITUDE!!!

TROOPS:

Conman:
-120 Soldiers

Total: 120

Discord:
-50 Silver Spearmen
-50 Red Samurai
-30 Gold Archers
-30 Yellow Energists

Total: 160

Grand Total: 280

Naval Units:

-3 Ironclad Warships (Conman)
-3 Ironclad Hydro-Electric Ships (Discord)

Total: 6

SUPPLIES:

Conman:
-Long Swords
-Muskets

Discord:
-Katanas
-Energy Bows
-Spears

STRATEGY:

Pre-Phase: Reinforcements Arrive

After having securely captured Solitude, the first phase of the Invasion of Skyrim shall be complete. As such, MidnaFan’s mouseyclaires shall have spread word of that victory to the rest of our invading forces, including Discord’s and DWGM’s armies to the south. In order to fortify Solitude, an important goal thing to do considering the city’s status as capital of Skyrim, Discord will send word further along back to Pack’s Domain and order reinforcement’s to begin heading northward. With the help of three of his newly completed Ironclad Hydro-Electric Ships, Discord will have 160 of his troops begin to move upwards to Solitude via the coast of Skyrim. At this same time, 65 Soldiers will also come in by ship from Conmanstinople in order to fortify Solitude as well. Upon arriving, all of these land forces will join with the 55 Soldiers already in Solitude and further fortify the city. The three Ironclad Warships of the Kaiserliche Marine, and the three Ironclad Hydro-Electric Ships of Discord’s navy, will also take anchor around Solitude with three ships on either side of the city.

Phase 1: “Is That…Sandstorm I hear?!...”

With Solitude now fortified, my troops will be focused on looking out for any enemy troops or counter-attacks, something that we fear may happen do to the fact that our Invasion of Skyrim is only just wrapping up at this time. With the experience gained from the encounter with Sailboat’s troops earlier that morning, our troops should have some idea about just what they look like and might spot them approaching the city a few moments ahead of time. If they do not, then they will certainly know of the invading forces presence when they see the neon flashing all around them (and Sandstorm playing in the background ). Thanks to having been listening to the musical stylings of Conaria’s greatest musical entertainer—Franzl Lang—in celebration of their earlier victory, my Soldiers should have this song stuck playing in their head:

(NOTE: I actually listen to quite a bit of yodeling music…and even this song annoyed me. )

Now, with the sounding of an alarm the whole city shall be awake and roused in order to defend the city. First and foremost, the warships outside the city will immediately open fire on the surroundings of the city so as to try and take out any troops that have not yet made it over the wall and into the city. (Note that they will not be firing into the city and hitting any of our troops in there.) My Soldiers will focus on taking out any enemies they can from a distance with their muskets. If it comes down to melee combat, my Soldiers shall sling their muskets on their backs and begin fighting with the swords that they carry with them. Discord’s forces will fight in a specific formation with the Silver Spearmen (who’s silver abilities make them strong defenders) shall be in front and take the brunt of the enemies attack, then the Red Samurai (who’s red abilities make them strong offensive fighters) shall be next and charge any enemy troops that make it through the Silver Spearmen’s ranks, and lastly the Gold Archers (who’s gold abilities make them strong marksmen) and Yellow Energists (who’s yellow abilities allow them to shoot out energy magic) shall stay in the back (or middle if the troops are so surrounded that they must form a ring-like formation) and take out enemy troops from a distance. This pattern of fighting shall continue until all enemy troops are defeated or they retreat. If we are being badly beaten, all of our troops shall band together to fight them off while the warships outside the city shall begin to actively bombard the enemy troops within it. If need be, we will just bombard the city until the enemy is entirely destroyed.

NOTES:

-The troops that survived the attack have some experience in terms of fighting Sailboat’s troops and so they should have some idea about how to handle them.

-I made this strategy with the assumption that the pteroglodytes were not going to be a part of the battle (since we determined they hadn’t survived the Invasion of Skyrim) and so I didn’t mention them. Sol—as mod—if I was mistaken about that then here’s what I want to you to do: the strategy will go about the same way as I have written it above, however, the difference will involve all, or nearly all, of the range troops (archers and musket men) attempting to shoot down the pterogodyes. They will specifically aim for the bombs that they are carrying and, if they can, even attempt to start a chain reaction of explosions that will blow the enemy out of the sky. The rest of the troops will take whatever cover they can.

-There will be no retreat. If we do lose our defending forces (but kill out the enemy with our warships) then reinforcements from Markarth will move up and enter the city and other reinforcements shall arrive in due time. Reinforcements shall also be arriving from Candyland as well.

-Note that the six ships in our navy will be divided up into two groups with three ships on either side of the city (look at the pictures of Solitude that have been posted in order to understand what I mean) and as such they should all be able to fire effectivly into and/or around the city.
Last Edited by Kaiser Conman21100; 02-19-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Electricut
  #318 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2012, 04:24 PM

the result will be up in a little bit

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

Conman's reinforcements arrive just after midnight and begin taking spaces along what's left of the walls and generally reinforcing the city. Meanwhile, Sailboat's men begin the march to Solitude.

The chameleon's and lizardmen make it within sight of Solitude's walls and manage to make within fifty yards of the walls when Conman's troops spot their approach. The warships immediately open fire, but Sailboat's troops are out of range and manage to make it within twenty yards of Solitude while the warships reload/miss them horribly. Sailboat's troops are surprised by this and begin to move quickly, to reduce the distance between Solitude and themselves while the cannons fire.

Once they make it to what is left of the walls, a line of Conman's soldiers form and fire upon the invaders. The invaders are surprised and lose a few men, but are otherwise undeterred and continue their ascent. Conman's troops fight atop the walls but are eventually forced to retreat into the city. Sailboat's troops continue their invasion.

Once the lizards are inside the city, pterogdolytes (or however the ❤❤❤❤ you spell that ❤❤❤❤) descend upon the city. The first few manage to drop their bombs on the enemies forces, but once the enemy composed themselves they managed to launch a few arrows up there and start a chain reaction. The pretogdolytes are almost completely wiped out; the survivors retreat.

Sailboat's ground troops catch Conman and Discord off guard at first, since they attacked immediately after the first bombs dropped and broke their ranks. They back forms up, though, and a fight begins in the city. Sailboat's forces, outnumbered, manage to take out a good number of the defenders, but they are eventually pushed out of the city and forced to retreat.

Sailboat's Surviving Forces:

5 Chameleon's
10 Lizardmen
27 Pterogdolytes

Total: 22

Conman's Surviving Forces:

40 Soldiers

Total: 40

Discord's Surviving Forces:

20 Silver Spearmen
15 Red Samurai
25 Gold Archers
25 Yellow Energists

Total: 85

(All supplies for Conman and Discord survived)

Notes:

-Most of the defending forces were taken down during the assault on the walls, the bombs that dropped, and the initial charge of Sailboat's forces

-Sailboat was unsuccessful in taking out any ships due to the cannons and the fact that they were outnumbered

-Most of the attackers were taken down once they got into the city; once the defense managed to form up, they had superior numbers and troops. Conman's soldiers formed up with Discord's archers and fired on the enemy while the Samurai's and Spearmen fought with Sailboat at the front lines

-Solitude was reinforced four hours after the defeat of Sailboat's forces.

EDIT: And yeah, if Sailboat didn't have his flying dudes with complicated names because of the original battle... well, he didn't edit it and i didn't feel like solving that myself, so i threw them in for ❤❤❤❤s and giggles.

bite me.

Last Edited by Sólsetur; 02-19-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #319 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2012, 04:51 PM
jcd ; bionicman

I find it completely ridiculous how the defender's troops were able to hit such tiny, moving targets as the bombs in the air. Arrows would not cause a bomb to explode and muskets are far too inaccurate.

Not to mention, they wouldn't be able to tell whether or not they even had bombs until they were close up, at which point they would have been dropped.
Last Edited by JC Denton; 02-19-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #320 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2012, 05:10 PM

The first few flying dudes managed to drop their bombs, at which point the enemy would have known they had them.

Along with this, almost all of the archers would have been shooting at the flying dudes. Once of the arrows hit and BAM.

(and yeah, i think yellow energy arrows might cause one to explode)

Last Edited by Sólsetur; 02-19-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote

Tags
get dreads, land wars, the great gamzee