Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Light Spirit
Send a message via Skype™ to Jason
Steam ID: GoldenChaos Wii U ID: GoldenChaos 3DS ID: GoldenChaos

View Posts: 9,807
Re: Posts per page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triforce of the Gods View Post
For example: At 20 PPP, someone will see a thread with 10 pages and won't want to have to read through all that. At 40 PPP, the same thread will only be 5 pages and the person may be more inclined to read through it all due to it not being that much.
That makes absolutely no sense. The volumes of posts are exactly the same - I'm just as willing to read 500 pages of a book with one word on each page than I am a single page book with 500 words on the single page. Likewise, if a person was going to skip to the end of a thread, 20ppp saves them scrolling distance - what makes you think the person is going to read all of those posts just because they're on the page? If anything, there's just as much an incentive to scroll fast and get to the bottom as there is to skip to the last page.

The posts get ignored either way. It sounds like you're more worried about individual cases of users being ignorant, rather than the actual post per page limit.
Last Edited by Jason; 03-08-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason:
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Banned User
View Posts: 30,568

40 at one time is still too much for me to look through.
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2009, 08:28 PM
The world begins with you.
Send a message via Skype™ to Tohopekaliga
View Posts: 18,998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
That makes absolutely no sense. The volumes of posts are exactly the same - I'm just as willing to read 500 pages of a book with one word on each page than I am a single page book with 500 words on the single page. Likewise, if a person was going to skip to the end of a thread, 20ppp saves them scrolling distance - what makes you think the person is going to read all of those posts just because they're on the page? If anything, there's just as much an incentive to scroll fast and get to the bottom as there is to skip to the last page.

The posts get ignored either way. It sounds like you're more worried about individual cases of users being ignorant, rather than the actual post per page limit.
I would not be willing to read a 500 page book with a single word on each page.
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Triforce of the Gods Triforce of the Gods is a male United States Triforce of the Gods is offline
OBJECTION!
Send a message via AIM to Triforce of the Gods Send a message via Skype™ to Triforce of the Gods
Steam ID: triforceofthegods Wii U ID: TriforceoftheGod 3DS ID: 2921-9263-7348

View Posts: 9,157

Quote:

Fine, if you think my example is stupid (when it's not, since I gave on tons of topics due to long page counts, not even taking PPP into account) then use Spoonman as an example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonmän View Post
Actually, I'm less inclined to read a thread if I have twice as many pages to get to. It makes reading a long and interesting topic less enjoyable because the flow is interrupted too much.
Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohopekaliga View Post
I would not be willing to read a 500 page book with a single word on each page.
I can't tell if your being sarcastic, but it's a good point if your not. I wouldn't either, it's too much page turning.
Last Edited by Triforce of the Gods; 03-08-2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason:
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Banned User

Oh come on, y'all are exaggerating. >_>

I couldn't read a book like that with one word on each page either and 15 posts is perfect for me.
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triforce of the Gods View Post
I can't tell if your being sarcastic, but it's a good point if your not. I wouldn't either, it's too much page turning.
I read ebooks on my Amazon Kindle, so all I have to do is press a button

Likewise, all a user on here has to do is press a button. There's no physical labor involved and hardly any waiting. There's more physical labor involved in scrolling down a gigantic 40ppp page.

Anyways, this whole thing is temporary while I fiddle with the post linking system. Once I have things sorted out, your precious ability to change the ppp will return. I believe I said it was temporary at the beginning of this thread.

For now, your superficial complaints will have to suffer through a 20ppp world. I'm sure you'll survive.
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Kingslayer

View Posts: 28,330

Quote:

Dude, there's a HUGE difference in your example. One requires you to continuously turn the page while the other allows you to read the entire thing without your flow being interrupted at all.
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Banned User

I fully agree, Jason. You hit the nail on the head.
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2009, 08:40 PM
The world begins with you.
Send a message via Skype™ to Tohopekaliga
View Posts: 18,998

Quote:
I read ebooks on my Amazon Kindle, so all I have to do is press a button

Likewise, all a user on here has to do is press a button. There's no physical labor involved and hardly any waiting. There's more physical labor involved in scrolling down a gigantic 40ppp page.

Anyways, this whole thing is temporary while I fiddle with the post linking system. Once I have things sorted out, your precious ability to change the ppp will return. I believe I said it was temporary at the beginning of this thread.

For now, your superficial complaints will have to suffer through a 20ppp world. I'm sure you'll survive.
Except for, you know, the problem that forcing 20ppp is "fixing" is not present at all right now, so it is completely irrelevant.
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2009, 08:57 PM
destroy space lincoln
Send a message via AIM to forte Send a message via Skype™ to forte
View Posts: 14,423

That book example was just retarded. As much as I love you Jason...wow.

Do you not think flipping 500 times in a matter of 10 minutes would be annoying? Also, the flow would be beyond interrupted. I wouldn't retain a thing.

And as for the scrolling issue that people are talking about, it's called Home, End, Page Up, and Page Down.

There's like, no scrolling at all with those buttons. Get into the habit of using them and I guarantee you won't be complaining about 'having to scroll too far'.

I was gone for 20 minutes, and my posts in the Utopia were buried by like 5 pages. It is ridiculous. I can't stand this. I just hope it's very temporary.

Oh, and Ranny, you're saying we're overreacting, but you're just as used to your setup (maybe more since you apparently can't even imagine not having 15PPP) as we are ours. You only changed by 5 posts. We changed by 20. I wish this temporary thing was for 40PPP so we could see just how much you'd be complaining about this.

#31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-09-2009, 12:50 AM
theunabletable theunabletable is a male United States theunabletable is online now
(◕‿◕✿)
Send a message via AIM to theunabletable
View Posts: 4,376

Sometimes when theorizing it is nice to have multiple posts you can read. If there are 2 posts you are quoting on one page and 1 post on another page with 40 PPP then it'd be fine. But with 20 PPP you are just as likely to have to open 3 tabs. It's annoying. Say you leave for a week and come back to a thread that has had 80-100 posts since you last left. You have the potential of needing 5 tabs open just to quote the posts at 20PPP. With only the potential of 3 at 40 PPP.

Hell one of my biggest turn offs for going to another site is like when I go to Smashboards and they have 10PPP. It's annoying as all hell to have to change pages that much. Which is a large reason why I don't go there often. ZU was the only site I've been to that had 40 Posts per Page.

Why not just give us the choice for how much we want instead of setting it to only have one option.

Oh and Forte was right. That book example was really bad, no offense.
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-09-2009, 12:51 PM
master of my fate, captain of my soul
View Posts: 9,959

I don't even get the need for change; you could link to posts before, it just would link you via the thread instead of bringing a new tab up.

Many people would rather have their PPP back instead of the link to post, Jason--this much is evident. :/
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Divine Dragoon
Steam ID: CodyDaviesTV Wii U ID: DragoonCody

View Posts: 14,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsuné View Post
Many people would rather have their PPP back instead of the link to post, Jason--this much is evident. :/
It's temporary while Jason works on setting up the thing properly. I'm sure people can survive for like three days with their pages set to 20PPP.

Last Edited by Cody; 03-09-2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason:
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-09-2009, 01:09 PM
master of my fate, captain of my soul
View Posts: 9,959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
It's temporary while Jason works on setting up the thing properly. I'm sure people can survive for like three days with their pages set to 20PPP.
What is even wrong with the old system? I never had a problem linking to a post.
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Divine Dragoon
Steam ID: CodyDaviesTV Wii U ID: DragoonCody

View Posts: 14,966

It likes to mess up for people using different PPP to the person who linked it.

#36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Octo-cool.
Steam ID: karpbria
View Posts: 11,336

Except that it links to a single post now, so really there isn't any problem.

last.fm | twitter | tumblr
Team S&S
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-10-2009, 05:01 AM
Kingslayer

View Posts: 28,330

So then it appears one of the problems has been fixed.
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-10-2009, 05:53 AM
If you're out here why do I miss you so much
Send a message via AIM to lefty Send a message via Skype™ to lefty
Steam ID: lftenjamin
View Posts: 6,265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Som View Post
Sometimes when theorizing it is nice to have multiple posts you can read. If there are 2 posts you are quoting on one page and 1 post on another page with 40 PPP then it'd be fine. But with 20 PPP you are just as likely to have to open 3 tabs. It's annoying. Say you leave for a week and come back to a thread that has had 80-100 posts since you last left. You have the potential of needing 5 tabs open just to quote the posts at 20PPP. With only the potential of 3 at 40 PPP.

Hell one of my biggest turn offs for going to another site is like when I go to Smashboards and they have 10PPP. It's annoying as all hell to have to change pages that much. Which is a large reason why I don't go there often. ZU was the only site I've been to that had 40 Posts per Page.

Why not just give us the choice for how much we want instead of setting it to only have one option.

Oh and Forte was right. That book example was really bad, no offense.

Multi quote button? They carry from page to page. No need to create tabs...

Also I don't see the big deal.

It is only PPP. Quit whining like a bunch of 3 year olds.

And don't give me some ****ty argument about flow. I could easily combat that with suspense.
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Light Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambria View Post
Except that it links to a single post now, so really there isn't any problem.
Again, temporary solution. That post linking system isn't what we really want. We actually want a situation in which both types of post linking (in-thread and isolated) are available. That's a little more complicated because, as Cody said, the in-thread linkings are a little jumpy.

Originally when I limited the ppp it was set to in-thread linking. The settings have reset themselves. As I explained already, stuff isn't working properly.

I don't like repeating discussions I've already had with people in staff with people who aren't in staff. Seriously, deja vu. Stop asking so many questions, people. There are certain things I shouldn't have to explain when I'm doing maintenance and fixing.

In any given situation surrounding posts per page limits and post linking, assume it is temporary until I say otherwise. That simple.

Thread locked.
Last Edited by Jason; 03-10-2009 at 08:11 AM. Reason:
Closed Thread

Tags
page, posts