#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-26-2006, 12:20 AM
I lol you
View Posts: 2,539
AD BOT! Attack!

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/...ad.php?t=51755

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar045 View Post
Earn a guaranteed income every month from home.No selling or recruiting, Immediate start!Get Paid for all completed work!Visit us today for detailshttp://www.typeinternational.com/idevaffiliate/idevaffiliate.php?id=6815_66_3_100

Somebody do something!

Also - what's that all about? The post looks too contrived to be generated by a human. Do we have robots inappropriately advertising products on our boards?
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-26-2006, 12:46 AM
Divine Dragoon
Steam ID: CodyDaviesTV Wii U ID: DragoonCody

View Posts: 14,948
Re: AD BOT! Attack!

We've had retarded avertising for months now, like that thing that links our every ZU word so some kind of ebay selling and the ZU popups.

But I'm not sure about people advertising an a board called "advertising" would get someone into trouble.

#3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-26-2006, 02:17 AM
I lol you
View Posts: 2,539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Dragoon View Post
But I'm not sure about people advertising an a board called "advertising" would get someone into trouble.
Uh. It was posted in General Zelda.

Or perhaps I don't understand what you're saying.

It creeps me out, man... ad robots.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-26-2006, 04:52 AM
Divine Dragoon
Steam ID: CodyDaviesTV Wii U ID: DragoonCody

View Posts: 14,948

Ah, this one's in General Zelda. I remember one exactly the same in Advertising.

#5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-26-2006, 05:27 AM
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 21,803

That would be one of a fair number of ad-bots that appear, post one topic, and then leave.

Public Key ID: 057420A1
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-26-2006, 05:57 AM
Half an eight
View Posts: 2,819

This kind of stuff isn't really anything new. I've noticed there's been a lot of advertising around lately, such as this guy. He's been posting threads almost exactly like this (only advertising different products) for the last couple of months on several different accounts. Yeah, gotta love bots.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-26-2006, 06:10 AM
I have no idea.
View Posts: 4,183

We've been plagued by the adbot scourge for some time now. Methinks inplementing a human-check system (type out the text in the jumbled image) has been suggested, but no real plans are in place to get rid of the adscum. For now, it's BANNED, LOCKED, DELETED on sight with those fools. (long live skate_mate's quote)
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 6,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsu View Post
Methinks inplementing a human-check system (type out the text in the jumbled image) has been suggested, but no real plans are in place to get rid of the adscum.
It actually works. You guys should have this system in place a long, long time ago.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-26-2006, 09:05 AM
It is difficult to be alive.
Send a message via Skype™ to Jodd
View Posts: 11,388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Dragoon View Post
We've had retarded avertising for months now, like that thing that links our every ZU word so some kind of ebay selling and the ZU popups.
That's the Intellitext. ZU geta paid to host that. It pays the cost of running ZU. You CAN disable it, if you want to.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-26-2006, 02:20 PM
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 21,803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
It actually works. You guys should have this system in place a long, long time ago.
There are issues with that. Colour blind and dyslexic people, to name a few, also can't pass those filters. They're also quite annoying and can, potentially, scare away new users (I know people who refuse to use sites that have one as part of the registration process). I'm not saying that I'm against them, but it's a good idea to look at both sides before implementing something like that.

Edit: Wow, my age begins to show. That process is already in place, apparently, I can only plead ignorance since I haven't seen the registration screen in 3+ years...

Public Key ID: 057420A1
Last Edited by John; 09-26-2006 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-26-2006, 02:43 PM
sudo !!
View Posts: 6,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDwarf
There are issues with that. Colour blind and dyslexic people, to name a few, also can't pass those filters. They're also quite annoying and can, potentially, scare away new users (I know people who refuse to use sites that have one as part of the registration process). I'm not saying that I'm against them, but it's a good idea to look at both sides before implementing something like that.
GDwarf is correct.

Those systems, depending on the directions given and how the letters and whatever are shown, is really difficult for the colourblind. Whenever I come across one of those systems, and the letters aren't all black or a dark colour on a light background, I will ethier have alot of difficulty or just bring my sister or someone else in to do that system for me. ZU is better off without it so that more people can be able to access an account here.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-26-2006, 06:40 PM
The world begins with you.
Send a message via Skype™ to Tohopekaliga
View Posts: 18,998

The "human check" thing has been in place for a while. I suspect that these things are humans, just copy/pasting this garbage into lots of places.

They even go so far as to submit things to the "Contact Us" links with ads in them. I admit, I laughed the first time I saw an inquiry e-mail of that sort... but now it just gets annoying. (Not to mention the amount of spam webmaster@zu gets.)

edit:

Oh yes, and those type in the letter dealies generally have things for visually impared persons. And if someone has "moral objections" to them or whatever, they can go sniff glue.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Kokiri
Send a message via AIM to eFlare
View Posts: 61

I run the forum for a site called TerraEarth (I won't post the link, that would be advertising) and we've had our fair share of spammers too. I created a plug-in for the forum that disallowed members of a curtain status (in this case "less than 10 posts") to use any form of URL in their post.

I doubt most of the spammers (humans) don't want to take the time to create 10 posts just to post that link. And automated spammers won't have a clue, because they think the post was places but, they were just referred to an error page.

TerraEarth runs on phpBB though, so it won't be useful for Zelda Universe. But, perhaps the idea is good enough to try? We haven't had any spam since I added the plug-in. We do still see accounts being created and attempts to post with them but, they all fail to do so (because the post has a URL) and the account will remain at 0 posts. We just throw it away after a month of inactivity.

And when an "innocent" person would be using a URL, they get a nice explanation of the situation on the page, why they can't post a URL, etc..

Tags
attack, bot