#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Snurtlicious Snurtlicious is a male United States Snurtlicious is offline
party
Send a message via Skype™ to Snurtlicious
Steam ID: Snurtlicious 3DS ID: 3480-3672-1360
View Posts: 4,193
Performing Arts Subsection

I've been thinking about this a lot, and, while do dabble in regular art, I'm also a musician. Only fine arts are represented here and I think that adding a performing art section for anything from instruments to interpretive dance to singing could add something so a few more people could be involved in events around the site.

I would be willing to donate a little time to help set this up if it is approved.

Thanks for the time.

#2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-28-2012, 09:15 PM
erudesu
View Posts: 17,679
Re: Performing Arts Subsection

I think this was brought up some time ago. The reason why it wasn't implemented is because there aren't enough musicians compared to writers or visual artists on this site to keep such a subforum going.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
Steam ID: FlorinaBelmont 3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

View Posts: 22,530

That and well, artwork means artwork of any sort. Made a video? As long as its your video art, post it in the art board. Made a song? Do the same thing. I dont personally see the need for a subforum.

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
2 people liked this post: Gold, GooeyKablooie
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-28-2012, 09:37 PM
hella
View Posts: 4,565

Unfortunately, there aren't nearly enough musical or performance pieces in the Artwork forum to warrant a subforum.
I think honestly, they would get more lost in there than anything. If there's ever enough activity though, I think we're definitely willing to look at doing that in the future.

For now though, music, acting, dance, etc. all fall under the Artwork forum, feel free to post basically anything artistic not covered by "Writing" or "Graphic Design" in there for the time being.

1 person liked this post: GooeyKablooie
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Avalanchemike

View Posts: 19,050

Basically what all three lovely ladies before have said, though, question to the art mods: would a set of prefixes benefit your board? Or no? I don't think anyone has every gotten CONFUSED lol over what is what, but I dunno, yes, no, maybe?
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-28-2012, 09:50 PM
hella
View Posts: 4,565

Not sure if they would make a huge difference, I know we used to have them.
Definitely willing to test run them again if anyone else is interested in seeing them come back.

#7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Avalanchemike

Well, okay, we'll leave this thread open for a few days (maybe you can notify the art community to hop over here for thoughts) to see if people are interested. If people are, we can sort what kind of prefixes you'd want (:
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Poignant party pooper
View Posts: 4,758

Hm..

There have been numerous times that I've wanted to post my own music but felt as though it would get lost in the general pool of art threads and no one would see or care. Maybe others have felt that way...? And I don't think prefixes would be a solution... it's still in the giant pool of drawings.

Reasoning for not having it resting only on the fact that we don't get many performing arts threads might not be a good reason by itself.
Just having the board be available might be inviting enough for people as a space for their own art that wont get lost in the myriad of graphic designers, sketch artists, and painters. I know there are more than a few members here that compose music, at least.

Right now there's three pages of threads in the art section that's a bit of a free for all for the type of art posted. The resounding majority of these threads are for drawings. It's a bit cluttered, in my opinion.
I do see music threads, about six. Having a subforum for music and whatever else might raise that count and encourage artists to create more and share.

I think it's important to encourage creativity here, and the auto-answer of "we don't get that many threads to warrant a subforum" is getting old =p. What if there are no threads because people feel there's no appropriate place to put them? Take a chance, leave it up for a month or so and see where it goes. What's the harm?

As a side note, I believe adding prefixes would be beneficial in the Artwork forum regardless of interest in a performing arts section.
Last Edited by Aniday; 03-28-2012 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Avalanchemike

I honestly don't think that board moves fast enough at all for anything to get lost, Jordan. I've seen some successful music threads happen in there, regardless of the painting/sketching etc etc, just like I've seen those types of art threads not get as much attention. Getting buried and unseen isn't an issue in art boards, as far as I can tell, unless the art mods say otherwise?
2 people liked this post: GooeyKablooie, Vynrah
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Poignant party pooper

I've just always felt it didn't belong with a bunch of drawings so I never posted.
/shrug
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Avalanchemike

Okay. By your own reasoning, try it out and see if it works out for you?
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Poignant party pooper

I still feel a separation might be beneficial for anyone who wants to post their music or whatever. It doesn't feel right to me to just post everything in one section.

But as you said, it evidently doesn't move fast enough.
Last Edited by Aniday; 03-28-2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 PM
__
View Posts: 8,485

Basically what everyone else said-- it seems to be some kind of myth that music and other performance arts don't belong in the art section. There have been musicians there before, and there have been times in the art contests that saw quite a few musical entries as well. I do agree with the "not enough activity to warrant its own board", and simultaneously disagree with "nobody ever posts their music", since I frequently see people posting their own piano/guitar/orchestral/original/fan remix/whatever work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snurtlicious View Post
Only fine arts are represented here
I don't know why people say this, because even the forum's description was changed to say "Post all of your non-written forms of art in here - drawings, paintings, sculpture, cosplays, music, etc".

While painting, sculpture, et cetera are certainly the most commonly referred to art, cosplay and music don't fall into the "drawing" category, yet they're still art.
I don't think it's discouraged, I just think people don't know what the word "artwork" means.

But hey, a section could pick up activity, who knows. I just always thought the art section was okay being a hodge-podge of things.

As for prefixes, I don't really think they do much, although I guess seeing the word [MUSIC] before a thread would make it slightly easier to navigate.
3 people liked this post: Gold, Malia, Vynrah