Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Divine Dragoon
Steam ID: CodyDaviesTV Wii U ID: DragoonCody

View Posts: 14,978
Re: what the hell ads

The "banning" comment was just out of frustration, it's not something that's going to actually happen.

But the fact is that the server currently doesn't make enough money to support itself, and it's being doing terribly in ad revenue for a long while, and the eventual end result would probably be something like how ZI a few weeks back had to just shut down the site for an entire week because of server payment issues and has had to ask for donations about 5 times this year already.

The fact is that ZU and ZW are not maintained by magical fairies. If you can't handle ZU having the same sort of ads as (as Ty said) so many other sites then we can't really help you unless you are planning to keep the site up via other means such as scheduled donations. I don't like the tone of some of these comments suggesting that Jason is greedy - this isn't some grand scheme to make "more money" (as if ZU is currently making a profit), it's a grand scheme to be able to keep ZU up at all in the long term. A lot of the more obnoxious stuff will probably be phased out as we find more reliable other ads and get ZU to a point where it can regularly support itself, but until then I'm sure you'll get used to them soon enough.

2 people liked this post: Brotagonist, Pacem
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-16-2011, 11:36 PM
~DEATH TO AMERICA~
Send a message via AIM to Captain Cornflake Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Cornflake
View Posts: 4,853

Step one: Quit wasting money on ♥♥♥♥ty servers.

Your hosting company is absolute ass and I've been saying this for years.
Last Edited by Captain Cornflake; 08-16-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason:
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Send a message via AIM to tnf Send a message via Skype™ to tnf
View Posts: 12,348

i am just asking
if you're gonna do interstatials
can they at least be cool?
  #44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-16-2011, 11:41 PM
That's your share of the loot. Enough to shut you up, I hope.
Send a message via Skype™ to Silver
Steam ID: tw64 3DS ID: 2921-9179-3622

View Posts: 24,736

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnf View Post
i am just asking
if you're gonna do interstatials
can they at least be cool?
Quote:
cool
Quote:
interstatial
Bit of an oxymoron there.

<Steam>
2 people liked this post: lefty, Luka
  #45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Kingslayer

View Posts: 28,443

i'd consider donating to zu if I knew my money wouldn't be going towards things like exorbitantly priced skins (that look like ♥♥♥♥) and the inability to perform a merge after a month
3 people liked this post: Agent Orange, Coconut Water, Panique
  #46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
We built Mute City on Rock and Roll
Steam ID: FlorinaBelmont 3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

View Posts: 22,606

Whats wrong with putting a discrete but effective ad bar at the top of the screen of the forums? Interstatial ads scare people as was noted by Asta. If thats the only way to get a good ad funding, so be it but are there other options?

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
  #47 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-16-2011, 11:49 PM
Divine Dragoon

If smug snarking at Jason could pay the bills then he would be so rich that he would be able to pay all the staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus Snape View Post
Whats wrong with putting a discrete but effective ad bar at the top of the screen of the forums? Interstatial ads scare people as was noted by Asta. If thats the only way to get a good ad funding, so be it but are there other options?
We have plenty of "discrete" ads, and the current ones aren't working, which is why Jason replaced just about every ad ZU had yesterday to try and pinpoint some that would work for ZU. If the interstatial ad doesn't provide a good enough benefit when the figures for the month come in it will be dropped.

And Jason has found a new server hosting company too by the way, we just haven't moved yet because it takes time.

Last Edited by Cody; 08-16-2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason:
  #48 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-16-2011, 11:53 PM
Divine Dragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzraelBlack View Post
Pass it off as smug snarkiness all you want, but it's far from unfounded and useless as the forums are clearly rife with it.
"I think the ZU skin is stoopid and I don't understand what's going on behind the scenes in the merge!" is literally about as helpful as a nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Problem Sleuth View Post
Also, for the record, I'm more than sure that an ad being 'discrete' defeats the purpose, but whatever.
Yeah that's the eternal problem with ads - if they aren't in the way then they aren't making any money.

Last Edited by Cody; 08-16-2011 at 11:54 PM. Reason:
  #49 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Send a message via AIM to tnf Send a message via Skype™ to tnf
View Posts: 12,348

I think the ZU skin is stoopid and I don't understand what's going on behind the scenes in the merge!
  #50 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Divine Dragoon

I do think there's a lot of helpful suggestions/comments/feedback in here (the opening of a ZU store is something I'm interested in), which I think is good, but a lot of it is just snarking or airing grievances (i.e. your personal opinion on the prettiness of the skins, going on about decisions Jason made three years ago, snarking about GoodSemester, calling Jason greedy, calling ZU worthless, etc) which aren't particularly related to the subject of how to best optimize ZU to support itself at all. All I ask for is focus. :3

Quote:
And honestly the whole merging thing is another terrible idea, but I could go on a completely separate rant about that.
"The whole merging thing" has doubled our number of active dedicated staff, who have helped with a lot in the way of bug fixes and features and other things that improve ZU, and has brought a lot of cool new people to ZU. It's the best thing that has happened to ZU in a long time.

Quote:
Relevant.
If only ZU made a profit it could afford to get these maintenance issues dealt with more professionally. ;P It's a vicious circle. Luckily we should be able to hoist ourself out of it now due to some GoodSemester-related server hosting deals that Jason is sorting out now, so by the Skyward Sword launch a lot of these problems will be gone.

Last Edited by Cody; 08-17-2011 at 12:22 AM. Reason:
  #51 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-17-2011, 12:31 AM
Divine Dragoon

Quote:
Just interested in? I'm getting the feeling like this wasn't an active idea before.

I might go kill things now kthxbai.
It has been brought up before but hasn't yet been made possible in the form of shirt designs being made etc.; I was thinking we could hold a ZU contest to get some good designs.

Quote:
Another thing, grab a sponsor or some♥♥♥♥ for your youtube channel. You get enough damn views to grab at least two awards every two weeks. Just put a logo in a corner and a little 'sponsored by X' in the video intro and in the description with a link to their site on each mentioned. Someone's probably gonna go for it.
We do have a deal with TheGameStation to put ads (including prerolls) on ZU videos now actually. All we need to do now is post daily videos and we're set on that front.

Last Edited by Cody; 08-17-2011 at 12:31 AM. Reason:
  #52 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-17-2011, 12:35 AM
~DEATH TO AMERICA~
Send a message via AIM to Captain Cornflake Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Cornflake
View Posts: 4,853

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
And Jason has found a new server hosting company too by the way, we just haven't moved yet because it takes time.
How much time is "takes time?" I've worked on clusters many times the size of what you guys have running here, so trust me when I say if it takes longer than a couple days to pull off a migration like this then something is clearly being done horribly wrong.

Really just curious how things have managed to take two months. It's not like you guys have very complicated requirements for a server.
Last Edited by Captain Cornflake; 08-17-2011 at 12:40 AM. Reason:
2 people liked this post: Agent Orange, Coconut Water
  #53 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-17-2011, 12:40 AM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
We built Mute City on Rock and Roll
Steam ID: FlorinaBelmont 3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

View Posts: 22,606

Quote:
"The whole merging thing" has doubled our number of active dedicated staff, who have helped with a lot in the way of bug fixes and features and other things that improve ZU, and has brought a lot of cool new people to ZU. It's the best thing that has happened to ZU in a long time.
I agree with this. A great number of awesome members from Legend Place/TSR are already here and i see this as a boon.

I do also agree that some things are taking a bit of time to complete and it is a bit annoying. I also understand theres reason for this.

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
  #54 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-17-2011, 12:43 AM
SCIENTIST Jwal SCIENTIST Jwal is a female United States SCIENTIST Jwal is offline
Ask me about my mushrooms!
Send a message via Skype™ to SCIENTIST Jwal

View Posts: 4,960

Quote:

When I was gunning for getting up the meetup funding cafepress thing, part of my plan was to contact some forum artists (who, as I've previously mentioned, can make some damn fine art) to get submissions to the store and to give them a small percent of the profit their designs make.
I can even make small plushies for order too. I can make octoroks, bombs, heart pieces, chu-chus, ect. from the games. Crochet is pretty cheap while I get yarn on sale and time to sit down and work on them. I've brought this up before in staff.

Basically if I make the patterns, we can sell them in a ZU store and I can make the items mostly exclusive to the ZU store.

[My Zelda Wiki Page]
Jwal's Shop:FB|dA|Etsy
FC: 1332-7760-5087
4 people liked this post: Brotagonist, Coconut Water, Cody, Shona
  #55 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Divine Dragoon

Quote:
Edit: Also are you guys partnered on Youtube? I hear that they (partners) make some amount of money through that, but I'm not entirely sure how it works.
Yeah, partnership is the "ads on videos" thing that I mentioned. The special TheGameStation partnership basically means that we can also put ads on videos with gameplay footage (which we couldn't otherwise do) since TGS sort out the official permissions and rights and all the other behind the scenes stuff.

#56 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-17-2011, 12:45 AM
galloping abs
View Posts: 7,810

Adblocker or not I wont see ads on this place. I only go around the forums, I have not seen the main site in a looong time. I have the forums favorited so i never go to the main site. As a result i never see ads because I never log out.

Just a thought.

Sig by Caleb
1 person liked this post: Coconut Water
  #57 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-17-2011, 12:51 AM
The Missing Link The Missing Link is a male United States The Missing Link is offline
I wonder what's for dinner.
View Posts: 652

I'm reminded of a story I heard of recently. There's a webcomic called The Dreamland Chronicles. Like most webcomics, it's more or less ad- and donation-driven. The problem was that, by and large, over time, as more and more people come to the website, and more and more of them run AdBlock and so forth, server costs were going up faster than funding could be secured.

So the webmaster tried an interesting tack.

He ASKED -- no, he PLEADED -- with his visitors to (1) make an exception for his website and allow ads to be run and (2) occasionally click on them in order to pay for the server costs. And in return, the webmaster would do his due diligence to make sure the ads weren't malicious.

And the funny thing: It worked. They did so very willingly, and ad revenue jumped. The site wasn't in danger of closing.

I don't what the moral of this story is; you can take it for whatever it is. But food for thought.
  #58 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-17-2011, 01:29 AM
Classic Old School Action
Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzie
View Posts: 9,468

Quote:

Sell ZU to someone who isn't terrible.
You know, you fail to release that through all the whining and moaning, you don't realize that Jason is not terrible. Sure, he put a few ads on the site, but what sites DON'T have ads floating around their site?

Ads are what make people money, period. Do you whine about commercials during your TV show? Yes, but you still watch. Do you whine about the ads during a movie? Yes, but you still go. Do you whine about every other site on the net that has ads? Yes, but you still visit.

You guys don't seem to remember or weren't around for Yusuf and Lee, two people who were only in this site for the money. Jason loves ZU and has done everything in his power to make this site better for everyone. But he is like everyone else and needs ways to pay for this site. He took a huge loan to buy the site and he has expenses like any other business out there. He is just looking out for the betterment of the site.

If you are going to make a statement like that (and I don't know if you were being comical, but regardless), at least do some homework first.

Edit: Stupid second page ruining my glory. It still applies regardless.
Last Edited by Lozzie; 08-17-2011 at 01:30 AM. Reason:
4 people liked this post: Brotagonist, Joshua, Prince Deity, §Matthew§
  #59 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-17-2011, 01:34 AM

I'm pretty sure that by saying that Jason needs to be replaced in this ad thread, you are essentially whining that Jason is bad for ZU because of the ads.

Sure, let's go back to the faceless owners again who don't give two ♥♥♥♥s about this site. Makes PERFECT sense.
1 person liked this post: Prince Deity
  #60 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-17-2011, 01:39 AM

Yea, the site will stay up, but the content and news part will go down and more than likely these database errors you see will continue and probably get worse. Considering that if the pattern followed the last time we had a ♥♥♥♥ owner in here, Cody will leave if Jason sells. Because Jason left when Lars sold.

Edit: We also forget that the economy is crap, so no matter who owns the site is going to see problems regardless.
Last Edited by Lozzie; 08-17-2011 at 01:39 AM. Reason:
1 person liked this post: Prince Deity
Closed Thread