Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2009, 02:29 PM
The impulsive L The impulsive L is a male Finland The impulsive L is offline
And the bathmonkeys...
View Posts: 825
A game review section?

Today I was thinking of a possibility of a creation of a game review section here in ZU.

This particular section would consist of non-Zelda games (many are already reviewing Zelda games in Zelda sections). The threads would be made for single games, not based on Genres, systems or developers, with the exception of some retro game threads maybe.

There could be some rules, like that you would have had to play the single player game through (no 100% completion required) and at least tried the the possible multi player. Other rules could be discussed at this thread or later.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Guardian Dragon
View Posts: 2,348
Re: A game review section?

Sounds like a good idea.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2009, 02:35 PM
__
View Posts: 8,485

Do you know how many people would not put the recommended amount of effort into this?
What's wrong with doing it in the general gaming section anyway? There doesn't seem to be high demand for this.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Send a message via AIM to Lioness Send a message via Skype™ to Lioness

View Posts: 17,786

Well, boards are commonly created when a need for them arises. I can't see that many game reviews here to warrant a board of their own. You're free to review any game you want though, and if the trend picks up, then there might be talk about giving the reviews their own forum. :3
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2009, 02:37 PM
destroy space lincoln
Send a message via AIM to forte Send a message via Skype™ to forte
View Posts: 14,423

I can see it now.

Thread title: Soul Silver Review
OP: This game sucks.

#6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Avalanchemike Avalanchemike is a male The Byzantine Empire Avalanchemike is online now
patron saint of subtlety
Send a message via Skype™ to Avalanchemike
Steam ID: Avalanchemike Wii U ID: AvaMike

View Posts: 25,128

I think a sub-board would be more appropriate.

I wouldn't mind this, if it actually took off. I might even use it! I'd not want stupid people ruining it though, so yeah nazimod for it plz.

"It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong"
- G. K. Chesterton

#7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Anouki
View Posts: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by The impulsive L View Post
The threads would be made for single games, not based on Genres, systems or developers, with the exception of some retro game threads maybe.
i like the idea but we should be able to review developers as well.
i would vote yes for this
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2009, 03:10 PM
SeriousDiscussion
View Posts: 24,034

I think it's a nice idea on paper!
However, unless there's a huge, dedicated following intent on creating a really comprehensive set of reviews for a multitude of game, it might not be that effective.

We do have the Game recommendations Thread so you good right a good,detailed review there, and even just post your own threads for this, nothing stopping you there!
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Ok, but dogs CAN look up.

View Posts: 14,084

I think if it were to be done, rather than having someone do something like

Tales of Symphonia Review

(insert long review)

And then have a bunch of people comment. This format wouldn't work.
If we had one thread for a game, and only people posting reviews in there posted, it would be much more effective. So the Tales of symphonia Review thread would only have reviews, and no comments. If comments were alound in there, you would have more people making seperate threads for one game, and it would be harder to find what you're looking for.
Just a suggestion.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2009, 03:21 PM
__

^ But what would be the point in posting reviews and not getting feedback or opinions?
We're not here to inform, none of us are real game critics. (Well, for the most part.)
This is why I think it's fine in general gaming as-is.
Last Edited by GooeyKablooie; 10-15-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2009, 03:21 PM
destroy space lincoln
Send a message via AIM to forte Send a message via Skype™ to forte
View Posts: 14,423

I like the idea of many reviews, but commenting should be allowed as well.

#12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchiki View Post
^ But what would be the point in posting reviews and not getting feedback or opinions?
We're not here to inform, none of us are real game critics. (Well, for the most part.)
This is why I think it's fine in general gaming as-is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Dillinger View Post
I like the idea of many reviews, but commenting should be allowed as well.
I know it sounds weird to have no commenting, but it makes more sense. You would have a person post a review. Have 20 people say "yeah, he's right" or "no, that game sucked", or something to that effect. Then, you would have another person want to post a review of the same thing. Now, his review has to be either a) in the middle of this big thread where it probably won't get noticed, or b) in a whole new thread for the same thing.

While feedback and opinions on it would be nice, it would dirty it up so badly that the concept of this having it's own board, or even sub catagory is just not going to work.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2009, 03:28 PM
__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty View Post
I know it sounds weird to have no commenting, but it makes more sense. You would have a person post a review. Have 20 people say "yeah, he's right" or "no, that game sucked", or something to that effect. Then, you would have another person want to post a review of the same thing. Now, his review has to be either a) in the middle of this big thread where it probably won't get noticed, or b) in a whole new thread for the same thing.

While feedback and opinions on it would be nice, it would dirty it up so badly that the concept of this having it's own board, or even sub catagory is just not going to work.
Actually on the contrary-- allowing commentary on the reviews is probably the only reason this should have its own board. If you were to allow commentary, it probably wouldn't be great to have eight reviews on the same game in General Gaming, but if there was a sub-board for reviews, then it'd be more acceptable, since that's more about the reviews themselves.

But not having commentary is completely pointless-- like I said, we're not here to inform, we don't have followings of people that we're relaying news to.
General opinions on games can either go in threads for them, or the recommendations thread.
Last Edited by GooeyKablooie; 10-15-2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2009, 03:32 PM

But why would you write a review if you didn't want to inform? Though, I don't think this matters either way.

And I just don't want to see a bunch of threads on the same thing, but it would be inevitable if every thread was bogged down by comments. I guess if the people here don't mind 6 MGS4 reviews, it would be fine.

Make a thread in GM if you want to discuss a game. Post in that game's review thread if you want to review it.
Last Edited by Ty; 10-15-2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2009, 03:34 PM
__

Quote:
But why would you write a review if you didn't want to inform? Though, I don't think this matters either way.
Because you're not a big gaming media outlet. Nobody is going to come to you for news or rock-solid opinions on games. We have nobody TO inform. Why would you write a game review if you didn't want other people's opinions about it/the game?

Seems entirely pointless to me. It reminds me of when my brother and I recorded "radio shows" on our Talkboys when we were six. Cute, but pointless, because there is no audience.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Because you're not a big gaming media outlet. Nobody is going to come to you for news or rock-solid opinions on games. We have nobody TO inform. Why would you write a game review if you didn't want other people's opinions about it/the game?

Seems entirely pointless to me. It reminds me of when my brother and I recorded "radio shows" on our Talkboys when we were six. Cute, but pointless, because there is no audience.
In this case, a game review board, sub board, or whatever would be useless, and you should just post it in GM.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2009, 03:44 PM
__

Quote:
In this case, a game review board, sub board, or whatever would be useless, and you should just post it in GM.
But like you said, they'd turn into opinion threads about games, and you can't have multiples of those at the same time.
So really, it's a new sub-board or bust. That is, if this idea should even be put into practice, and I think it's kinda pointless because there's seemingly no demand for it.

Take a look at the anime reviews thread. There's like, nothing in there.
But the cartoons recommendation thread... people there flesh out their opinions sorta like reviews, and some commentary is given. Even though it's still not very active, it works a whole lot better and serves much more of a purpose than that deadbeat reviews thread.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
But like you said, they'd turn into opinion threads about games, and you can't have multiples of those at the same time.
So really, it's a new sub-board or bust. That is, if this idea should even be put into practice, and I think it's kinda pointless because there's seemingly no demand for it.

Take a look at the anime reviews thread. There's like, nothing in there.
But the cartoons recommendation thread... people there flesh out their opinions sorta like reviews, and some commentary is given. Even though it's still not very active, it works a whole lot better and serves much more of a purpose than that deadbeat reviews thread.
It would be a neat idea, but just too impractical. Likely won't be put into practise.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2009, 03:48 PM
__

Yeah, so like I said, I think the whole idea is pointless.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Our sunshine is not for franchise!
View Posts: 8,349

Just so everyone knows in advance, if this sub-board is created I will abuse it, and I will use it exclusively to write troll reviews.

I'm just giving you all fair warning before my "Half-Life is a stupid game because it stole the alien invasion idea from Halo." review shows up.
Last Edited by 8bit; 10-15-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote