Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Is an audioslave
View Posts: 2,699
Re: Do people still buy CDs?

Quote:
Or, with 320kbps, there's almost no difference at all.
I am aware. I make rips of my vinyl at 320kbps and they sound very good. However, most sites like itunes, emusic, torrents, and other online sources have their mp3s at 128kbps or less. Pirated music especially has low bit rates. When I said quality was passable, I was referring to mp3's downloaded from free sources or sources like itunes.

Quote:
Say what? The artwork I have for my mp3's aren't any "thumbnail photos" - unless you consider 1600x1200 or similar sizes "thumbnail"
Yeah, but when you view these pictures on an mp3 player (which they are intended to be) they are only possibly as big as the screen, which generally is less than 3 inches in diameter.

Quote:
Again, what are you talking about?
foobar handles this, and if you don't use foobar, there's lots of lyrics search engines.
online sources for lyrics can only be seen while you are on a computer with internet, not to mention they are covered in ads. The mp3's themselves contain no printed lyrics. Lyrice booklets from CD's can be viewed anywhere and require no going to sites or using software/programs, you just grab the paper and read.

Quote:
Not always. My Bomfunk MC's disc doesn't have lyrics, and most of the tracks there have vocals.
well then the artists isn't being very smart. Every album I own that has vocals in the music has included lyrics. Generally speaking, albums do include lyrices, almost always.

Quote:
Eh? It's very, very rarely higher than CD.
not really. Many beleive that analog audio is better than digital. Because there is absolutley no compression, clipping, and better dynamic ranges, Lp's can often sound better than CD's. Granted, if your record is worn out, or not well cared for it will have surface noise which can get anoying. but clean lp's sound excellent.

Quote:
lol where do you buy cds
lol, sure as hell not at retail stores. Alot of times I buy CD's straight from the record company. For instance, the CD "stranger" by ambitions is only 6 bucks on the bridge 9 website. That's certainly cheaper than buying 1buck per track music on itunes or napster or something. Not to mention, It easy to get cheap CD's on ebay, or get bundles of multiple CD's for even less. Also, I occasionally get CD's for cheap at record shops during sales. I have 2 record shops near me that have large selections of CD's for under 10 bucks new.

You know that crazy kid on your bus that laughs at random moments because he's thinking about something funny that happened yesterday? Yeah, that's me
Last Edited by zeldask8r; 04-28-2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 78

I buy CDs. But only for the ones I think is really good. That means I can heard the songs for a hundred times and never got tired of it.
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-31-2009, 07:39 PM
johnlennonfan's posts are mine! mwahahaha!
View Posts: 86

My preferred method of buying music is the CD. I like having a physical item. I don't like being tied to the computer to listen and/or buy my music. Besides, what happens years from now when the computer I'm on now is dead? All the music is gone. Sure, I might have a spare backup somewhere on a burned CD or an old iPod, but who knows how crappy it sounds now after years of converting it and what not.

So I buy CDs, rip them with iTunes and copy it to my iPod. I leave the CD in my room for safekeeping. I can listen to my iPod in the car because I have an audio RCA cable that plugs into an AUX port in the car. (It's awesome.)

I have a tiny collection of vinyl records as well. Mostly The Beatles, Paul McCartney and John Lennon. I usually don't listen to them because I have most of them on CD (and thus on my iPod.) But once in a while, I might plug in the record player and then slip on Band on the Run or something.
  #44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-31-2009, 08:45 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koulatio View Post
I buy the CD's.

I'm not old enough to really have vynals. I guess they are sort of coming back though. But yeah, it just feels better to have something physical that you can actually touch, even though it's just going on the computer/ ipod right after. I guess it's also good if your computer crashes too, since you still have them if it's CD's.
yes, it is more useful.
  #45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-31-2009, 08:48 PM
You call it freedom, but it's a perverse Anarchy
Send a message via Skype™ to Kneesocks

View Posts: 10,986

I sometimes buy CD's but most of the time I borrow them from my friends and I load them into my computer. That way I don't have to spend money on them. Which I think is one way of saving me for me because I am cheap.
  #46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-31-2009, 08:53 PM
Burning hooves means Littlepip is watching...
Send a message via AIM to Puck
View Posts: 15,588

I always Buy Cd's. When I like bands I like to support them instead of stealing from them =3
  #47 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Only want you for your body.
View Posts: 1,324

I will buy CDs from band I know I like for a reasonable price, but cccasionally I will by a CD from a band I don't know if it's cheap.

Like, under 9 bucks.
  #48 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-01-2009, 12:42 AM
Our sunshine is not for franchise!
View Posts: 8,349

Wait... buy music?

Wut?
  #49 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-01-2009, 01:15 AM
Goron
View Posts: 216

I personally still buy CD's. To me theres nothing like buying an album youve waited for and ripping the plastic off and incredibly sticky security tape off and throwing it into your CD player at home or car.

AWESOME SIG AND AVVY BY INSANEY, THANKS!

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL FULL OF FUN!
http://www.youtube.com/user/BrandonR24
CHECK OUT MY BAND FLIGHT BY MIDNIGHT!: www.myspace.com/flightbymidnight
  #50 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-01-2009, 04:57 AM
Anouki
View Posts: 51

i personally like to buy the CD's for the sole factor of security

If i DL everything and my computer gets friend i am screwed essentially

Also these are my dragons please click and help them grow!
  #51 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Is an audioslave

Quote:
If i DL everything and my computer gets friend i am screwed essentially
STOP SPEAKING ENGRISH!

You know that crazy kid on your bus that laughs at random moments because he's thinking about something funny that happened yesterday? Yeah, that's me
  #52 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Deku Scrub
Send a message via AIM to Kaynil Send a message via Yahoo to Kaynil
Wii U ID: Kaynil
View Posts: 218

Concise answer to this thread name: Yes I still do.

Since this is opinion, I claim the content of this post to be only so, sorry for not being concise.

Today, is not new to know what you need to do in order to achieve a copy of it and an idea how much data a cd can contain. It is not surprise to me, that when you have people doing the job and selling it for for prices that reach even ten times less what it costs a legal copy, many prefer the illegal one.

Years ago, it used to be a joy for me to get CDs, I always liked the Art on the cds and the booklet of it. There were many songs, there was more to find inside a cd than just the music, now, most of cds doesn't follow this format any more. I find plenty of new cds to have less than ten songs and the 1 page cover piece of paper. Thus people like me, doesn't find what is so worth of paying such a high price for a product that people can fully reproduce and give it to you for less.

I don't really blame the artist, those things are up to their record company they work for. The thing is that, instead of trying to either blend with it (like the pay for download) they condemn the practice and put out the guilt trip but out of that most of them don't move a finger to improve their quality and give a reason other than how much we are affecting the artist we so much love.

I do think, that burning cds with the purpose to sell it is wrong, but I don't think download a song from a shared computer is, someone paid for the cd and decided to share it, just like we would record copies of our tapes, but due technology it is done now in such a big scale and people are exploiting that to make their own mine.

The thing is, once I like an artist, I think support it is important, and I know the best way to support him is to buy their legal stuff. I think it feels good to buy the original cd, but like I mentioned early, it can be frustrating to to find you paid too much for nothing but a disk case with a normal looking disk with less than 10 songs. So, yes I feel pride to have them and I actually seek and try to get them original.

But yes, I think they should still stick to customising each of them to exclusive stuff, like the lyrics, footages, pics and stuff in the booklet. In my opinion, when a disk has this kind of details it adds a lot of value to the disk and the pride of having it original.
  #53 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-03-2009, 03:44 PM
:coffee:

View Posts: 18,006

Nope. I borrow them from a library. :3
  #54 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Angry Lenin

View Posts: 8,854

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldask8r View Post
Pirated music especially has low bit rates.
Eh? Most of my music I've downloaded recently ever since I started caring about bitrate, is better quality than services like iTunes, emusic, etc... 320kbps/FLAC bitrates > iTunes by far
  #55 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-03-2009, 04:24 PM
fab
Send a message via Skype™ to musical zombie.
View Posts: 10,273

Quote:
Pirated music especially has low bit rates.
thats why you search for music that has high bitrates
hurr
  #56 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-03-2009, 04:25 PM
MUST HAVE STABBED HIM FIFTY ****ING TIMES!
View Posts: 5,357

I buy CDs <3
  #57 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Is an audioslave

Quote:
Eh? Most of my music I've downloaded recently ever since I started caring about bitrate, is better quality than services like iTunes, emusic, etc... 320kbps/FLAC bitrates > iTunes by far
The thing is, sources like limewire, torrent, and others, are user uploaded. Often times, that user uploads an itunes mp3, or a low quality rip from a CD. When you insert a CD into you drive, and try to rip it using windows media player, the default setting is WMA format at 128kps. Not very good at all. So lots of digital music that can be obtained for free from music sharing/pirating sites is of low quality. THat's not to say that everything is low quality, just that there is bound to be much more low quality than high quality.

Quote:
thats why you search for music that has high bitrates
hurr
searching does not equal finding

#58 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Link is hanging from my pamp qwitch!

View Posts: 13,410

I don't buy **** cuz I'm poor. But if I had $ I'd buy the CD. I like the booklets and stuff. I like having a tangible item, plus CD's sound better. I am finicky about sound quality, being a producer and all.
Last Edited by Redonkulous Homunculus; 06-03-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-03-2009, 11:45 PM
?!מה פיתום
View Posts: 3,194

I don't do downloaded music.

First off, I'm unwilling to steal.

As for downloading from iTunes or whatnot, why get lower-quality files which I have to back up on CDs anyway (or risk losing forever should my hard drive die), when I can get high-quality files in nicer packaging, without the risk of sudden, devastating loss?

I also buy LPs when I feel like it.
  #60 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Love yourself.

View Posts: 9,297

I buy CDs from bands I really like. Even then, it's like, 1 or 2 a year.

Tags
album, buy, cds, cover, people, reality