Percussion Instrument 7 7.07%
Other 12 12.12%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Is an audioslave
View Posts: 2,699
Re: What Type of Instrument Do You Play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
What's the difference between a prostitute and a violist?

A prostitute knows more than one position.

:/
LOL! that made me laugh very hard.

It's true though, the neck of a violin is so small you only need to shift like, once to get to the end of the finger board. on a bass there's about 12 or so shifts to get to the end of the fingerboard :/

Quote:
That's excellent! It's a very good skill to be able to learn a piece of music by rote. It means you have a good ear.

I have played the violin for 11 years, the guitar for 6, I have studied voice for 3, and I just recently picked up the piano and a little organ. I'm currently a Music Performance for violin at UW Milwaukee. Generally, I practice about 3 hours a day on my main instrument, but I've been trying to bump it up to 4 because I've hit a block right now and I'm progressing very slowly.

Anyways, that's what I play and stuff. So yeah.
Yeah, my dad tells me that I have a good ear. 11 years? you must be beastly. 3 hours a day? that's alot. I play maybe, an hour a day, sometimes more. depends on the weather. I used to play viola, but then I fell in love with the basses deep right tones. What kind of styles do you play? classical? country? Blue-grass? I myself play classical, jazz, blues, and rock.

You know that crazy kid on your bus that laughs at random moments because he's thinking about something funny that happened yesterday? Yeah, that's me
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 136

I play a little bit of keyboard.

#43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Only want you for your body.
View Posts: 1,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldask8r View Post
Yeah, my dad tells me that I have a good ear. 11 years? you must be beastly. 3 hours a day? that's alot. I play maybe, an hour a day, sometimes more. depends on the weather. I used to play viola, but then I fell in love with the basses deep right tones. What kind of styles do you play? classical? country? Blue-grass? I myself play classical, jazz, blues, and rock.
My professor is a Juliard graduate, so he expects us to do an outrageous amount of practicing. I'm a pretty good violinist, but I'm not a virtuoso or anything. Apparently, I'm really tense when I play so I'm currently trying to get my left hand more relaxed and bowing arm more free. If ever I can get my hands on a mic (my old one is at home), I'll record myself playing for you guys. I composed some pretty awesome variations on Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. :DDD

For violin I almost exclusively play classical. Mostly because I have a very hard time learning Blue-grass and Fiddle type stuff without sheet music, and that's what my instructor makes me play. But when it comes to guitar, I try to putz around with just about everything. Right now I'm in a big Rockabilly phase. Go figure.

But it is a very good idea to practice every day, even if it is just for half an hour. Playing a musical instrument isn't like riding a bike, and if you take a break from it for too long you can 'lose your edge', so to speak. So for any up and coming musicians out there, practice on a regular basis.

You'll thank me later.
  #44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-21-2008, 03:32 AM
I can play my Lute with no handlebars
Send a message via AIM to UZ! Send a message via Yahoo to UZ! Send a message via Skype™ to UZ!
View Posts: 1,283

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_wolfe View Post
On my set, I have Sabian AAX cymbals and Zildjian ZXT cymbals with a wuhan china, but Sabian are my favorite, they're excellently crafted and are nice lookin' too haha
Ah, one of them Sabain fans, eh? Almost every percussionist but me at my college like Sabians too. I'm more of a Paiste guy, though. Paiste's are shmexy.

Also:
Q: What's the definition of a minor second?
A: Two violas playing at the same time.

Quote:
I composed some pretty awesome variations on Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. D
I lol'd. Why did I lol?

Hello, I'm the 37th hottest guy in Nayru. I like long walks on the beach and 5 month haitus' from ZU. (oh and I'm also satan)
UZ Clora Kellas
It's my youtube channel, please to be listening to my ukulele
  #45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Deku Scrub
Send a message via AIM to silver_wolfe
View Posts: 14

Quote:
Ah, one of them Sabain fans, eh? Almost every percussionist but me at my college like Sabians too. I'm more of a Paiste guy, though. Paiste's are shmexy.
Sabians are great, but Paiste makes some damn good cymbals too. I used to have a Paiste splash and i loved that thing, but it broke....
  #46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Link is hanging from my pamp qwitch!

View Posts: 13,410

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Me View Post
The brass players at my school have a stupid grudge against the percussionists. I really hate them...
just about everyone has a grudge against percussionists, especially auxilliary!!
(flag/majorettes)
  #47 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Captain Queen Lady Fay -Bring me that horizon-
View Posts: 6,411

I play a Ocarina, I got it straight after I loved the Zelda games.
I can play a key-board as well. "-"
  #48 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,165

I play the keyboard....... a bit. I taught myself everything from playing to reading sheet music. I cant read sheet music while i play so i learn all the music of by heart.
And i wouldn't say i am amazing at it though and i only mostly play Zelda music.
  #49 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Kokiri
View Posts: 93

I play guitar (electric, accoustic, classical, and slide), bass(just electric), drums, trying to learn piano but i suck at it

kick-ass signature by sugarpoultry
and wicked avatar by Sirna
  #50 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Is an audioslave
View Posts: 2,699

Quote:
My professor is a Juliard graduate, so he expects us to do an outrageous amount of practicing. I'm a pretty good violinist, but I'm not a virtuoso or anything. Apparently, I'm really tense when I play so I'm currently trying to get my left hand more relaxed and bowing arm more free. If ever I can get my hands on a mic (my old one is at home), I'll record myself playing for you guys. I composed some pretty awesome variations on Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. D

For violin I almost exclusively play classical. Mostly because I have a very hard time learning Blue-grass and Fiddle type stuff without sheet music, and that's what my instructor makes me play. But when it comes to guitar, I try to putz around with just about everything. Right now I'm in a big Rockabilly phase. Go figure.

But it is a very good idea to practice every day, even if it is just for half an hour. Playing a musical instrument isn't like riding a bike, and if you take a break from it for too long you can 'lose your edge', so to speak. So for any up and coming musicians out there, practice on a regular basis.

You'll thank me later.
I see. I'm quite relaxed when I play. My problem is that I make rediculus faces when I play! I like, make all these weird expressions, and I don't really notice it when I play, but one time I recorded myself playing, and I was laughing at how silly my face looked. But, I suppose how you look isn't nearly as important as how you sound.

Well, learning blues and jazz isn't very difficult. All you need to know is like, a B flat, and E flat, blues scale and a 1411,4411,5411 chord progression and you can pretty much play anything! Plus, on the bass you only need to shift once to play a blues scale, so it's easy to play on bass. I would imagine with the violins short neck, it wouldn't require much effort. rockabilly? The place were I bought my bass, one of the salespersons was a rockabilly player. He was insane! he could do like, 16th notes, slapping! which is hard, (most people don't realize how difficult slapping an upright bass can be). I hardly slap or play rockabilly though, slapping completely RUINS the fingerboard, and it's like, maybe 150 dollars or so to get it replaced, so, not much slapping on my part!

Oh, I practice plenty. I know what you mean though, when I go on long vacations, when I come back it takes me a while to remember everything again! XD

You know that crazy kid on your bus that laughs at random moments because he's thinking about something funny that happened yesterday? Yeah, that's me
  #51 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Tenshi_Hyoeyu Tenshi_Hyoeyu is a female United States Tenshi_Hyoeyu is offline
Free Falling
View Posts: 1,881

i play the clarinet and aucustic guitar.
  #52 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Send a message via AIM to UZ! Send a message via Yahoo to UZ! Send a message via Skype™ to UZ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldask8r View Post
Well, learning blues and jazz isn't very difficult. All you need to know is like, a B flat, and E flat, blues scale and a 1411,4411,5411 chord progression and you can pretty much play anything! Plus, on the bass you only need to shift once to play a blues scale, so it's easy to play on bass. I would imagine with the violins short neck, it wouldn't require much effort.
I'd personally learn more than just a B and E flat thing if you're going into jazz. There's a LOT of peices in C major at the very least.

Hello, I'm the 37th hottest guy in Nayru. I like long walks on the beach and 5 month haitus' from ZU. (oh and I'm also satan)
UZ Clora Kellas
  #53 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Kokiri
View Posts: 93

yeah seriously. to play jazz you need to know every scale in every key, and you need to know every scale degree perfectly by heart, you need to know how to harmonize chords on the spot, etc. you can't play jazz just knowing an e flat blues scale :| i guess you could but a real jazz player would laugh at you ,

kick-ass signature by sugarpoultry
and wicked avatar by Sirna
  #54 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Only want you for your body.
View Posts: 1,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashbeast View Post
yeah seriously. to play jazz you need to know every scale in every key, and you need to know every scale degree perfectly by heart, you need to know how to harmonize chords on the spot, etc. you can't play jazz just knowing an e flat blues scale :| i guess you could but a real jazz player would laugh at you ,
It isn't a terrible challenge to play any scale in different keys if you have a good grasp of theory. In fact, playing scales in different keys is a piece of cake for strings. F# Major sounds daunting, but if you break it down you're just moving the tonic to another starting note and using the same basic structure of steps. Same with modes. You just have to remember what note you're staring on in the scale (ex: Aeolian starts on the 6th), and what your original key signature is.

Also, it helps to realize that Jazz music is heavily pentatonic, which makes harmonizing easy. It isn't like you're improvising Bach-esque counterpoint, or Allegri style polyphony on the spot.

I love when Jazz musicians make music theory sound much more complicated than it really is.
  #55 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-27-2008, 01:51 AM

Quote:
It isn't a terrible challenge to play any scale in different keys if you have a good grasp of theory. In fact, playing scales in different keys is a piece of cake for strings. F# Major sounds daunting, but if you break it down you're just moving the tonic to another starting note and using the same basic structure of steps. Same with modes. You just have to remember what note you're staring on in the scale (ex: Aeolian starts on the 6th), and what your original key signature is.

Also, it helps to realize that Jazz music is heavily pentatonic, which makes harmonizing easy. It isn't like you're improvising Bach-esque counterpoint, or Allegri style polyphony on the spot.

I love when Jazz musicians make music theory sound much more complicated than it really is.
I don't actually recall either of us saying theory was difficult. And frankly, most of the jazz players I know don't have much of a grasp on it anyway.

UZ Clora Kellas
  #56 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-27-2008, 02:06 AM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 28

I play electric guitar(lead in my band) I also play the flute and I don't know if it counts but I do vocals in my band
  #57 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-09-2008, 03:43 AM
I Like good Music!!!
View Posts: 449

I play electric guitar, it just seems so much more appealing and satisfying to play than other instruments. I play classic rock/80's metal. I iknow my minor pentatonic scale and am going to aim to learn pentatonic, then the minor and major. That's all you really need for my style of music Hey simplest is best right . I can read sheet music at a pathetic level, it takes me ages to work out each note and to be honest sheet music doesn't lend itself to gutiar very well, considering how the notes repeat themselves so often on the neck. Tab is quicker and gives you a better idea what is going on technique wise.

Lol, now I realise how stupid I've been music is SOOOOOO complicated no way I can get by with just pentatonic and the minor and the major scale.. I've started learning modes and arpeggios .... it's gonna be a long time before I'm a decent musiscian composing is way harder thn learning songs to play
Last Edited by Rhox; 06-08-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Hi. :D
View Posts: 655

I have a Yamaha keyboard/piano that I play sometimes. I'm not really good at all, but it's better than nothing. I'd like to practice a lot more over the summer, unless I end up getting a job... which doesn't seem very likely.
  #59 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Wat's up Chump?
Send a message via AIM to Chumpsup
View Posts: 135

Ive been playing trumpet for 3 years.

by "sig godess" Sugarpoultry

"Desecration is the smile on my face"
  #60 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-12-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm not afraid of Spassky!
View Posts: 1,162

I've been playing the piano/keyboard for about two and a half years now. I only have a keyboard, but I can practice on the piano in school and fleegin'. My favourite piece is "Farewell Hyrule King".

Tags
instrument, play, type