Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-31-2007, 08:22 PM
:)
View Posts: 1,032
Pirate master

I just wanted to ask if anybody watched pirate master.
I found it awsome and I thought John was a little weird. Now I like Ben and Louie. I saw that Joy might get a snake bite in the next episode. (episode 2) I am going to keep watching it.
Also if you like this, then watch Survivor. You'll love it.
Metroid Prime 3 corruption
Halo 3
CoD 4

BATTLE DAWN

#2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Most interesting man in the world
View Posts: 1,780
Re: Pirate master

I really like this show, I've always been a huge survivor fan so I have to love this show. I'm getting close to actually liking it more than survivor actually, just because surv. has been around for so long and it gets repeditive after a while. PM though uses the same formula but spices it up a bit by actually making them do pirate work and hunt for treasure and the whole captain thing is a great idea. Also it has a way better theme song than survivor, and by the way, does anyone know where I can find that song? I really want it.

sig by Zorathan
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Big Damn Hero
Send a message via Skype™ to Galedeep
Steam ID: nolanam
View Posts: 13,448

Since I am a huge Survivor fan, and a huge pirate fan, I checked out the first episode of this show. I was pretty impressed. I liked how it took the pirate concept and ran with it in a lot of ways.

First, the Captain was elected democratically, much like in real pirate days. The fact that he and his two officers (which would have been the Bosun and the Quartermaster, had it been a real pirate ship) got a larger share is also pretty true to most pirate ships, though more often all the loot would be split evenly, and the Captain would keep the captured ship. The fact that if the crew votes together, the captain can be overthrown is also taken from actual pirate history. Finally, the idea of the black spot, while perhaps not a real practice amongst pirates, is a great homage to Treasure Island.

I also really liked the concept of being able to use the money in-game, as bribes or the like. I think that would add quite an interesting dimension to the game.

The first episode was really solid. I've been busy so that's all of it I've watched though.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2007, 08:20 AM
:)
View Posts: 1,032

My favorite person is louis, but I fear he may go once he isn't captain.
Metroid Prime 3 corruption
Halo 3
CoD 4

BATTLE DAWN

#5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 AM
PHOTOBUCKET DELETED MY SIGNATURE >:3
Send a message via AIM to Euphoria
View Posts: 4,911

I am, put simply, addicte to pirates so it was only natural that I watched this. I found that the first episode wasn't as good as any of the others but it was enough to get me hooked. The second half of the show is always a lot more entertaining for me because of all the social politics, bribery and shows of democracy that are going on. Don't get me wrong =, the treasure hunts are fun to watch but the REAL action happens on the ship.

The theme tune too, has to be one of the best ones ever. The string bit is simply fabulous. My favourite people are Ben, Jay and Jupiter. I really wish that Cheryl had never been elected Joe Don's officer, because the chances are my overall favourite person would still be on the ship. As for Joe Don himself, I hate the man. Or at least, what I've seen of him. Who were the nex TWO people to be cut adrift after Cheryl? I haven't been able to watch it for a while.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Octo-cool.
Steam ID: karpbria
View Posts: 11,333

I've yet to catch an episode of this, but any show with a 'scientist/exotic dancer' person has good to be good. (They were talking about that while I was on work experience) - I'll have to start watching it on Thursdays.

last.fm | twitter | tumblr
Team S&S
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 3,765

I was hugely Disappointed when I first saw this, at first I thought it was gonna be a proper doco about Pirates (from the ads) but when I actually watched it I was extremely disappointed.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-18-2007, 02:15 PM
jcd ; bionicman
Steam ID: OatsNraisin
View Posts: 17,966

....Low-Budget survivor ripoff.

'nuff said.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-22-2007, 05:53 PM
PHOTOBUCKET DELETED MY SIGNATURE >:3
Send a message via AIM to Euphoria
View Posts: 4,911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylian Z View Post
I was hugely Disappointed when I first saw this, at first I thought it was gonna be a proper doco about Pirates (from the ads) but when I actually watched it I was extremely disappointed.

Well, perhaps it was your expectations that let you down rather than the overall quality of the show? You have to see it, not so much as a failed documentary but as a reality show taking a new, bold direction and providing a (somewhat ficticious) insight into what life as a modern-day pirate could be like. Look past the the annoying cliche and focus instead on the intricate social politics that take place in the second half. Use the first to watch people get hurt and also to base your opinions on people.

And (just to bring it up) did you not realise it was a reality show when it said that it was made by the creators of the Apprentice? Being a huge fan of that, I was all the more hyped to watch the show. I'm quite disappointed by how it has moved from Sky One to Sky Three. Obviously, I'm in the minority here.

Tags
master, pirate