Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2007, 03:42 AM
Let me get the hose.
View Posts: 4,118
Re: Do you like rock or rap?

The difference between rap and rock to me is that generally rap is more about what is being said than the music, and rock is more about the music than what is being said. This is the way it seems to me, i mean. I'm sure rap has musical value, just not my kind. And since what's being said in mainstream rap is of no interest to me, i don't listen to it. (I listen to a little nerdcore )

So, that's probably the main reason i avoid rap, and listen to primarily rock i guess.

Sig by my Robert
Okay no room for banners but I won Most Fabulous Hair and Coolest Member guys
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Is an audioslave
View Posts: 2,699

i view rap as black people screaming crap into a mike. seriously most rap is just crap about sex, killing, drugs, and other sh-t like that. plus, theres normally no freakin music! rock is melody, and rythem. rap is just someone "talking" into a mike over a 4/4 beat in the backround thats recorded. music? i think not. ROCK, will always prevail. rap sales are down 30% and i think we all know why.

You know that crazy kid on your bus that laughs at random moments because he's thinking about something funny that happened yesterday? Yeah, that's me
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2007, 12:14 PM
EternalSunshine EternalSunshine is a female Azerbaijan EternalSunshine is offline
STOP, whatchuuuu lookin' at?
View Posts: 641

Rap is the root of idiotic behaviour and little 50 cent worshippers.
  #44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Is an audioslave
View Posts: 2,699

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalSunshine View Post
truer words were never spoken! well maybe but yeah. seriously, if there was no rap, there would be less car jackings, less rapings, less sex ofenders, seriously, if people hear peeps screaming on the radio about crap then they mite think its okay. they go and do that stuff and look what youve done! youve created a monster that has no comprehendable end. theres no way we can ban rap, its music, and theres no laws about music, so as long as theres free speech its gonna reek its havoc onword.

You know that crazy kid on your bus that laughs at random moments because he's thinking about something funny that happened yesterday? Yeah, that's me
  #45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2007, 12:54 PM
L'antagoniste
View Posts: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldask8r0990 View Post
truer words were never spoken! well maybe but yeah. seriously, if there was no rap, there would be less car jackings, less rapings, less sex ofenders, seriously, if people hear peeps screaming on the radio about crap then they mite think its okay. they go and do that stuff and look what youve done! youve created a monster that has no comprehendable end. theres no way we can ban rap, its music, and theres no laws about music, so as long as theres free speech its gonna reek its havoc onword.
That is the most profound thing i have heard this month.
Thank you zeldask8r0990!!

"Seize the day, you'll die regretting the time you lost.
It's empty and cold without you here, too many people to ache over."
  #46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2007, 01:04 PM
muthaflippin
View Posts: 11,659

But aren't Rock artists the ones going crazy on stage? Didn't one Rock artist kill kittens on stage? And I've lost count of how many must've gone crazy and smashed their instruments to pieces on stage.

Rock attracts the adrenaline, which in turn causes violence.

Not to say that I hate Rock, but your statements hold no logic. Well, as much logic as hypocritical statements contain, atleast.
  #47 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2007, 03:22 PM
SNOW_STORM IS THE BEST
Send a message via Skype™ to Nox
Steam ID: HALF LIFE 3 IS NEVER GONNA BE RELEASED!
View Posts: 10,091

Quote:
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luter King Jr.

I guess you would blame punk music for the rebellious behavior in teenages of back then and the horrible excue for punk music today for the same behavior?

Nice job quoting a sub-par rapper though (I find 'Magic Stick' decent though), it shows your general ignorance to a genre in general.

Quote:
Even more ignorance. You sound like an adult of the 50's right when rock and roll came out. When you are ignorant to rap, you'll immediatly blame all of its listeners of being violent and rebellious. In fact, this could apply to any genre with loud and heavy sounds to it such as rock, metal, and rap. I guess you have to blame the very genre that you so love!

Just to play the devils advocate, I've noticed those who are absolutly ignorant to rap tend to listen to bad rock music whose lyrics conisist of pain and melodrama and/or unessecary teenage rebellion. In other words, pop-rock, emo, and pop-punk. So thus, ignorance to one genre stems from bad taste in music in another genre.

Artwork. Why not critique so I can get better, plz :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I have a friend who once asked me if vaginas had taste buds. Because of flavored condoms.

We were 17
Last Edited by Nox; 04-16-2007 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Sage of Wisdom
Wii U ID: WoodwindsRock
View Posts: 2,873

Quote:
Rap is the root of idiotic behaviour.
Prove it.

I see a lot of statements around here that have no proof behind them.

Violence would still exist without rap. It's that simple, kids. I'm not defending rap, I hate it as well. However, to say such things just shows that you're an idiot. Violence existed long before rap. Learn your history.

To clarify, the last paragraph was aimed towards those that were saying that without rap we wouldn't have violence.

------

Last Edited by Envy; 04-16-2007 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Goron
Send a message via AIM to Chiaro
View Posts: 254

I like both rock and rap. Walk this Way anyone?

[dA] - [Website] - [must read]
  #50 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2007, 04:58 PM
fab
Send a message via Skype™ to musical zombie.
View Posts: 10,273

I love the way you people stereotype. :]

Ok, firstly, on the category of rock:
Rock is not screaming into a microphone and power chords. Rock is much more than that. Rock is a form of expressing emotions in music, particularly using electric guitar. Rock can be soft, loud, fast, slow, vibrant, catchy, or crappy, in some cases. Rock doesn't just include new bands - Rock includes many bands. Rock is a very general category of music, including metal, classic rock, gothic, punk, and many other genres that I wouldn't care to name.

Secondly, on the category of rap:
Rap is not purely people "saying things" into the mic. Rap contains poetry and prose, and is just another form of expressing emotions. Rather than being more musically inclined, though, it includes spoken word. Rap isn't about killing, drugs, and things like that - rap is an entirely different entity on it's own. There are many great rappers, actually, if you think about Tupac or Eminem.

Please don't generalize. Have a nice day. :]

EDIT: As said before, rap isn't the cause of violence. Do you think Hitler did what he did because he listened to rap? No. He did it because of his frame of mind. Violence exists on its own, and music, rap or rock, has no part in the development of it. For instance, when rock'n'roll was first created, it was created by people of African-American descent. And you know what people said?
"That'll never catch on, it's annoying and loud."
I hear that a lot in many places about rap. Rap isn't always annoying and loud. I'm not saying that I like rap, because I don't like the bulk of it, but rap can be incredibly expressive and imaginative.
Last Edited by musical zombie.; 04-16-2007 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Because of idiotic stereotypes. Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Let me get the hose.
View Posts: 4,118

^ Thankyou for a glimpse of sanity in a thread full of idiocy.

Most modern music shares similar themes, and basically whatever you can find in rap is probably in rock. Rock can also be full of sex and drugs- rock was about sex and drugs long before rap was. But not all rap is about crime or hos or whatever you people call them. There are rap songs about love, and about peace.

Yes, i believe the emphasis of a lot of rap is on the words, but the beat and melody (in rap songs that include a singing chorus for example) are also important, and many may be attracted to rap because of the strong emphasis on rhythm.

60% of the posts in this thread have been ludicris. I don't like rap at all, but it's not because of stupid generalisations, but personal taste.

Sig by my Robert
Okay no room for banners but I won Most Fabulous Hair and Coolest Member guys
  #52 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Razorblade Salvation.
Send a message via AIM to The Four Sword
View Posts: 2,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holic View Post
^ Thankyou for a glimpse of sanity in a thread full of idiocy.

Most modern music shares similar themes, and basically whatever you can find in rap is probably in rock. Rock can also be full of sex and drugs- rock was about sex and drugs long before rap was. But not all rap is about crime or hos or whatever you people call them. There are rap songs about love, and about peace.

Yes, i believe the emphasis of a lot of rap is on the words, but the beat and melody (in rap songs that include a singing chorus for example) are also important, and many may be attracted to rap because of the strong emphasis on rhythm.

60% of the posts in this thread have been ludicris. I don't like rap at all, but it's not because of stupid generalisations, but personal taste.
Thank you. A post that I can actually respect. Not like all these people spewing ignorance and crap, like they ACTUALLY know what they're talking about.

And, I say this again, if anyone actually takes the time, there is more to Rap than just the lyrics (although with REAL Rap, that's the main focus), like said above, it also has a strong emphasis on rhythm, if you look in the right places, production is actually worth listening to, not that mainstream crap with the same bassline and/or snare/clap in the background. And the lyrics cover a PLETHORA of different subjects, not just the mainstream or common ones almost everybody associates Rap with. Do your goddang research before spewing garbage about a genre you HARDLY know about.

-TFS
  #53 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Fighter of the Nightman.
View Posts: 8,800

Wow there are alot of ignorant and clse minded people on this site, but they won't listen to reason, they never do.

Anyway I mosly listen to Rock, I think Rap is okay.

What I find annoying are the white kids who act "ghetto" or think they're "thugs". They're so ridiculous and annoying I just laugh at them.
Its such a pathetic plastic act.
  #54 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Hide the children!
View Posts: 5,750

I agree with the above few posters. Too many people have come here and said stupid things like "rap is just black people talking with no music" or "rock is just losers screaming in a mic really loud". It's biased, uninformed comments like that that make me want to strangle someone.

Although, I have to agree I've become biased against rap, although I can appreciate rap. When it all boils down, I don't think too many people care exactly what rappers are talking about, or rock stars either. It's all just a personal preference. It's the music you're exposed to as a child that can influence your personal preference, or the music your parents listen to, or just any random music you pick up.

Besides, there are too many subgenres for people to say that they like "rock" and "rap". For rock, there's punk, heavy metal, modern alternative, old alternative, 70's metal, 80's metal, pop rock, classical rock, etc. etc. etc. I don't know as much rap, but I know that there's a lot of subgenres too. People love taking one subgenre and hating on it as much as possible.

I think there's nothing wrong with liking one kind of music and disliking everything else. AS LONG AS you can appreciate other kinds of music, as long as you can see the good as well as the bad in them. Which a few people here fail to do.
  #55 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Reppin USK
View Posts: 320

jesus christ.....i mean, i like rock...more metal than rock, like korn and stuff like that but,.....rap is my type of music, and not all that nigga nigga, blast that fool, f*** that b**ch type of rap, hip-hop, auzzy hip-hop
fellas dat rhyme cuz they feel it, not the studio gangstas that rap for money and nothing else

sig by me
Raidz Oner USK ASC 4211
  #56 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Reppin USK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike87 View Post
Wow there are alot of ignorant and clse minded people on this site, but they won't listen to reason, they never do.

Anyway I mosly listen to Rock, I think Rap is okay.

What I find annoying are the white kids who act "ghetto" or think they're "thugs". They're so ridiculous and annoying I just laugh at them.
Its such a pathetic plastic act.
for sure bro..i hate those little punks aye...

sig by me
Raidz Oner USK ASC 4211
  #57 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Reppin USK

Quote:
bulls**t, it's not the musics fault, rap has created a monster....
*shakes head* u do know, that there are more than 1 type of rap?....not just those toys who think theyre gangsta like 50 cent, and loyd banks...
have you ever heard of Bias-B? or hilltop hoods?, or culture of kings?
of course not, or u wouldn't blame rap for all the s**t that happens

sig by me
Raidz Oner USK ASC 4211
  #58 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Sharia for the UK Sharia for the UK is a male United States Sharia for the UK is offline
Hate my life, love myself
View Posts: 4,842

Quote:
i view rap as black people screaming crap into a mike.
No, that's Killswitch Engage.

Quote:
seriously most rap is just crap about sex, killing, drugs, and other sh-t like that.
Rock has that too. In fact AC/DC has atleast one song about those.

Quote:
plus, theres normally no freakin music! rock is melody, and rythem. rap is just someone "talking" into a mike over a 4/4 beat in the backround thats recorded. music? i think not. ROCK, will always prevail. rap sales are down 30% and i think we all know why.
All music sales are going down except kid music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Four Sword View Post
Motherf****g win.

Seriously, you people are so narrow-minded. Stop being so frickin' lazy, and look beyond the mainstream for once, thinking just because you see it all on MTV that you're a know-it-all of the genre. Gtfo, seriously. Listen to some REAL Rap, then come and try and say something so ignorant.
Except that I already stated that I normally don't like rap based upon real issues. I've heard underground rap before. From what I've heard, 90% of it is artists attempting to be 50 Cent.

Quote:
... Yeah, rap started stupidity thousands of years before it was even thought of. I'm pretty sure the PMRC started because of a Prince song as well.

Quote:
This has to be the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.

Quote:
seriously, if there was no rap, there would be less car jackings,
"Man, I jacked his car cuz I heard a Snoop Dogg song"

Quote:
less rapings,
"Aw man, I'm sorry. I raped her cuz I heard an Run DMC song"

Quote:
less sex ofenders
"Then my friend Mike joined cuz he heard that one Ice Cube song"

Quote:
so as long as theres free speech its gonna reek its havoc onword.
"Okay rap fans go blow up that building, Mwuhahahahah"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loc Dog View Post
*shakes head* u do know, that there are more than 1 type of rap?....not just those toys who think theyre gangsta like 50 cent, and loyd banks...
Triple post! More proof that people don't have their grannies beat then enough, but that rap is causing people to go blow up buildings and rape little girls
Last Edited by Sharia for the UK; 04-17-2007 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2007, 12:07 AM
Hide the children!
View Posts: 5,750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loc Dog View Post
Loc Dog, triple posting isn't cool.

However, I applaud you for having an seeminly more informed mind than I do when it comes to rap.

Quote:
WARNING! This mind has been permanently CLOSED. Thank you and have a nice day.
  #60 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2007, 07:22 AM
Avalanchemike

View Posts: 18,575

Oh, good Lord, the ignorance in this thread hurts <_>.

Dear moronic children who know jack about rap - you're listening to silly rhymes and bull**** on mainstream radio that give you that impression. Some people have already mentioned the likes of The Roots, Public Enemy, Pharacide, 'Pac, guys like that, who would prove you wrong. I'm too tired to go through all the stupid posts I've seen to point out e-v-e-r-y single stereotypical blah for both rap (and rock, but I know more about rap than I do the latter). Meh.

I don't see the logic in comparing the two genres', anyway, to be honest. It's the whole apple and oranges comparison thing. I'd get it if you wanted to compare subcatagories in rock, or the style of two rappers, or underground vs. mainstream, I'd get that and would understand why debate would occur. But in the end if you're gonna be picking one of the other for different completely different genres in music - it's just personal preference and your word against someone elses. I'm not gonna say which is superior to the other (a lot of that going on in this thread) as a type of music because BOTH require a lot of talent (ehehe, *rap is just talking* uh huh, okay, now you go on and write up a rap with a deep social meaning, like something from Public Enemy, and show me how it easy it is just to *talk*), but I can say which appeals to me more.

Personally, I'd pick rap, because having grown up in an area where it's play-time is quite frequent, I'm used to it. I don't mind rock, but I think I've heard rap more, so, really, there's probably a bias there that I openly admit to having. My love for it, however, also comes from its desire to reach out to those who grew up in rough neighbourhoods - something that I can relate to personally. Taboo subjects like racism, teenage pregnancy, state injustice... the like, is hit hard with a lot of underground rap. Hell, before Ice Cube went mainstream, he had some awesome music with powerful messages. That's what made me fall in love with rap, and why, even now, it's pushed me with some decisions in my life - hence my major in radio at uni and passion to stand up for minority groups. Whoooaaa nelly, deep stuffs XD. I've nothing against rock, but I do not know enough about it to really give an in depth opinion about the genre, to be honest.

Edit: I was just thinking and realised something - the underground rap I listen to could be classified as old school stuffs since it happened a while ago. I do listen to some more recent ones (some stuff where I live, South Auckland, New Zealand, is reeeaaally good and reminds me a lot of what made me fall for rap in the first place), but I don't think I'd be too aware of underground rap in, say, the US. I think I gave up on searching for that kinda music when I realised how much the music close to home was for me.
Last Edited by Malia; 04-17-2007 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote

Tags
rap, rock