Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2006, 12:04 PM
In Need Of An Avatar
Send a message via AIM to CT-
View Posts: 286
Battle Royale: Pure Awesomeness

It took me a while to finally watch this movie. It came out in the 2000s when I was perhaps 13 years old and one of the most controversial movies ever. Can't blame people for getting angry at the movie at the time since Columbine High School shooting, students killing each other in movies was looked down upon big time. The movie was to screwed up for me to have in my house. If I had it then I would have been sent to church by my parents lol.

Anyway after I got over it and decided I won't be able to see it because I was too young and my mom was too squeamish and disapproved of me watching gory movies at the time. I forgot all about Battle Royale. Well six years later, I was reminded of the forgotten movie by a chick who is really into Japanese movies and a hardcore anime fan.

Once she said Battle Royale and I was "hmmm....Sounds awfully familiar..." Well she pulled it out and was like, "You never saw it! I'll let you borrow my copy!"

The movie was just pure awesomeness, after all my favorite genre of movies are "Mindless Killing/With a Good Plot & Storyline"

I mean what's not to like about BR? They take 41 snobby students, with a genius sociopath included, put them in a secluded, and empty island, to kill each other until the last person and that one person alive is a winner. That's not all, you have a collar around your neck and refusing to cooperate will cause you to no longer have a neck, specifically your collar will explode, also there are "Hot Spots" on the island and if you have the misfortune to step into those spots your collar will explode, and whoa that's not your worse problem, you have a freakin' deadline, three days for the program to have a victor, if not, ALL collars will explode, happy head hunting kids.

Well the students get traumatized throughout the movie and paranoid and call me sick if you want but I just had to laugh at those kid's ordeal. Forced to kill their friends, the mistrust, the freak accidents. It was a well done movie. I like to think of what I would do if I were in there situation.

I hear there was Battle Royale II that came out in 2003 but I don't think it's as good as the first. But anyway, anyone saw this masterpiece Battle Royale?

I'm going to get the novel, I hear it's better than the movie and I haven't read a good novel in a while.

-----------------
[::Roleplay::]
Next BA Character
--Jajeka--
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 6,456
Re: Battle Royale: Pure Awesomeness

I saw it. It was okay. A bit disgusting and vile, but it was okay. I actually liked the acting rather than the killing. 40+ students all acted pretty nicely and it was quite hard to do so considering you have different storylines and death scenes for each student.

But overall, the movie was nasty.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Soho hears the lies, the twisted cries, the lonely sighs

View Posts: 5,988

Battle Royale is indeed pure awesomeness, and Battle Royale II isn't *as* good gore-wise, but it's still got an awesome plot setup. I'd highly recommend watching it - it doesn't have the "40 students try to kill each other" setup like the other one. Instead, all of the kids are sent on a suicidal war mission to fight a terrorist cell. I'm trying to keep as many spoilers out of this description as possible, but that'd be a basic summary of the game itself.

Battle Royale II is totally sweet, though it's hard to make a sequel that matches the original (seeing as how the original was such a new type of movie and all). If I were you, I'd invest the money into at least renting it.

If anybody is curous about the movie or is having trouble finding it, PM me and I'll try to help you out. ^^;
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2006, 12:47 PM
You know you love it.
Send a message via AIM to Yami

View Posts: 6,884

I'd say it's worth investing into the novel the film was based on, as well as the manga adaptation. You learn more about the character's pasts, as well as seeing a different view on the event, although it is pretty damn similar. One of the best Japanese movies I have ever seen really. The sequel, not as good as the first, is still a good film. I would treat it as another film altogether, and not really as a companion to the first.

And you gotta love Kiriyama.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2006, 07:12 PM
WOOO!
Send a message via AIM to Kiri-Kraze Send a message via Yahoo to Kiri-Kraze
View Posts: 8,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami View Post
And you gotta love Kiriyama.

*points at username*

Anywho...

The movie was great, especially for a movie based on a book. Of course, I'd still suggest reading the novel and manga. The manga is a little more gorey, but it sticks closer to the storyline of the novel than the film did.

~BA Characters~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
My confidence just had an erection.
~RIP Ceesco~
Big bro will always love you.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Forever breaking the fourth wall
View Posts: 1,685

An utter masterpiece in my opinion. The plot was both genius and disturbing. But the reason I really loved it is becuse it doesn't really worry about being realistic or cheesy. One of my favorite moments in the entire film was when the teacher gets up after being riddled with bullets to answer the phone and eat a cookie. Hilarious. It's probably one of the best examples of a movie that's really funny and shocking at the same time. And of course, Kiriyama rocked in all his silent coolness.
Unfortunatly the sequel sucked and I'm a bit worried about the American remake.

Thanks to Kynnella for the sig.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-05-2006, 09:16 AM
In Need Of An Avatar
Send a message via AIM to CT-
View Posts: 286

American remake? That's gonna suck.... When Saving Private Ryan (another of my favorite gorey movie btw) there was a lot of controversy and the same with Starship Troopers (again another one of my fav.). After those movies I have seen much gorey american movies. And Hollywood is not known to make a movie of using adolescents to make massive violence for the buck.

-----------------
[::Roleplay::]
Next BA Character
--Jajeka--

Tags
awesomeness, battle, pure, royale