$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Optimistic.
View Posts: 1,632
Re: 2006-2007 NFL Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirren View Post
Go Panthers. I sure hate their Hockey team, but man do I love their football team. Got my own Peppers jersey and everything.

Other than that, I wouldn't mind seeing the Seahawks have another nice run, and I'd really like to see Dallas do good as well. And though I don't expect them to do anything good this year, I really hope Buffalo puts in Losman. He's got a ways to go before he's high-quality, but he's the best QB the Bills have, and it can't hurt put him out there and get him some much-needed experience. It could be a first step towards the Bills having respectable seasons in the future.
Did you see the Panthers game last night? I watched most of it, but fell asleep during the fourth quarter. Do you know who won?

Proud Member of Farore Clan!
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Am I the only person ____?
View Posts: 10,602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
Just you watch Sheik, the Bears are going to beat the Vikings, and probably go to the playoffs too. This is almost certain.
I don't doubt the Bears will beat the Vikings on Soldier Field. That place has become almost unwinnable for us. We're very bad on grass fields.

Keep in mind that I was not pimping the Vikings. Only dissing the Bears. You might have the best team in our division (we'll see--I don't think your defense will carry you again this year), but the NFC North is easily the worst division in football, so that isn't saying much.
Quote:
Mirren: What are you talking about. Steve Smith was the heart of that team, and only wild player in that team. Without him, they would have never made it the the playoffs. Disagreeing with it would just be plain ignorant. They lost the the Seahawks because they shut Steve Smith down, see the results. They constantly had like two or three people guarding him.
I agree that Steve Smith is the best wideout in the game today, but wouldn't consider him a dominate force. Of course the Panthers wouldn't be quite the same without him, but they'd still be a playoff contender. He had an amazing game against the Bears--you saw him at his absolute best. You can't base your opinion on him off of that one game.

Oh, and there defense is pretty good if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature! NNID = Bill1989. Let's play Mario Kart!
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Ciao.
View Posts: 1,068

...Wait a minute. There are other players besides Steve Smith on the Panthers? I've learned something new today.

As for the Redskins, I hate Joe Gibbs during the preseason. Every season he's ever coached, he never shows anything in the preseason, except for crappy third-string players. Therefore, every preseason game is miserable to watch, which makes me incredibly nervous. Still, the first two drives have been interesting to watch, with our new offense. Our wide receivers are simply amazing. I just wish Brunell would throw a little more consistently.

Oh yeah, and I see that we play the Vikings the very first week. It's awwwn, Shiek. Let's hope the NFC North continues being the worst division in the NFL. Then perhaps even the Eagles could win a few games.
Used to post here regularly on the forum, but eventually moved on. For anyone wondering what happened to me, everything going just fine and I'm completely happy with everything I'm doing. There reaches a point where you gotta move on.

Still, thanks for the memories, ZU.
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims View Post
...Wait a minute. There are other players besides Steve Smith on the Panthers? I've learned something new today.

As for the Redskins, I hate Joe Gibbs during the preseason. Every season he's ever coached, he never shows anything in the preseason, except for crappy third-string players. Therefore, every preseason game is miserable to watch. Still, the first two drives have been interesting to watch, with our new offense. Our wide receivers are simply amazing. I just wish Brunell would throw a little more consistently.

Oh yeah, and I see that we play the Vikings the very first week. It's awwwn, Shiek. Let's hope the NFC North continues being the worst division in the NFL.
I actually like how Mr. Gibbs handles pre-season. Pre-season is basically used to test out the newest players. I think Gibbs will show the final team during the last pre-season game. I believe he did that last year.

I also think Brunell will do great. He's been doing better every year. and his passes have alot of accuracy to them.

#25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Guardian Dragon
View Posts: 2,504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiek 84 View Post
I don't doubt the Bears will beat the Vikings on Soldier Field. That place has become almost unwinnable for us. We're very bad on grass fields.
Alright, I think I went to far to just dis your team, I was only trying to back my team up.

Quote:
Keep in mind that I was not pimping the Vikings. Only dissing the Bears.
You might have the best team in our division (we'll see--I don't think your defense will carry you again this year), but the NFC North is easily the worst division in football, so that isn't saying much.
Maybe, but this is a new year. I see that the Bears have only improved since last season. I admit, they started a little rusty in the first pres-season game. But almost all teams do.

Quote:
I agree that Steve Smith is the best wideout in the game today, but wouldn't consider him a dominate force. Of course the Panthers wouldn't be quite the same without him, but they'd still be a playoff contender. He had an amazing game against the Bears--you saw him at his absolute best. You can't base your opinion on him off of that one game.
Steve Smith WAS the Panthers offence that year. It was rare when he didnt help out. Heart of that team. I don't think they would have made it to the playoffs without him, if they did the Bears would have probably beaten them.

Quote:
Oh, and there defense is pretty good if I'm not mistaken.
I guess, but the seahawks literaly pierced through them in the NFC championship game.
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-25-2006, 06:17 PM
10 years is here!!
View Posts: 12,327

The Seahawks also made it to the Super Bowl, where they barely lost. Carolina was up against, possibly, the best team in the league. That might also have something to do with it.

And realizing that the Seahawks were able to easily hold him down, I'm sure they'll do things a tad bit differently this year. After the game with Miami, I have a feeling they'll be very interested in seeing what else D. Williams can do.
A high fantasy book that doesn't switch character perspective every chapter? That doesn't feature done-to-the-death Elves, Dwarves and Orcs, but brand new races? And is heavily inspired by The Legend of Zelda? You might want to check it out! Kindle version only $.99, print version OUT NOW
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Guardian Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirren View Post
The Seahawks also made it to the Super Bowl, where they barely lost. Carolina was up against, possibly, the best team in the league. That might also have something to do with it.

And realizing that the Seahawks were able to easily hold him down, I'm sure they'll do things a tad bit differently this year. After the game with Miami, I have a feeling they'll be very interested in seeing what else D. Williams can do.

No, the Panthers lost because they where relying on Steve Smith to much that season to do the work. After they locked him down, they really didn't stand a chance. They couldnt pass to Smith.
The bears would have stood a better chance, I'm not saying it because I'm a Bears fan because it's true. They had more of a team. Good recivers. You know.
Thats why the Panthers did not win that game or get to the super bowl and will not if they continue to rely on Smith like they did last year. I admit, he is one of the best players in the league, no doubt about it.

Bottom line: Smith carried the Panthers to the playoffs. Believe it or not and to the NFC championship game. I don't know how someone can deny this.
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Ciao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkprry View Post
I actually like how Mr. Gibbs handles pre-season. Pre-season is basically used to test out the newest players. I think Gibbs will show the final team during the last pre-season game. I believe he did that last year.

I also think Brunell will do great. He's been doing better every year. and his passes have alot of accuracy to them.
That's true. I think the reason why we've been losing preseason games is due to the play calling. We've been running a very simple, black-and-white offense, not anything remotely complicated. That's OK, I guess. You don't want to show too much stuff.

But, in the two preseason games, I've seen from our opponents: three double reverses, an onside kick while in the lead, two flee-flickers, and a semi-faked punt. Especially against the Bengals, I wonder why these teams insist on pulling out these crazy plays from their bag of tricks in a preseason game.
Used to post here regularly on the forum, but eventually moved on. For anyone wondering what happened to me, everything going just fine and I'm completely happy with everything I'm doing. There reaches a point where you gotta move on.

#29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-26-2006, 11:11 AM
10 years is here!!
View Posts: 12,327

Quote:
Originally posted by Citizen Ships
No, the Panthers lost because they where relying on Steve Smith to much that season to do the work. After they locked him down, they really didn't stand a chance. They couldnt pass to Smith.
The bears would have stood a better chance, I'm not saying it because I'm a Bears fan because it's true. They had more of a team. Good recivers. You know.
Thats why the Panthers did not win that game or get to the super bowl and will not if they continue to rely on Smith like they did last year. I admit, he is one of the best players in the league, no doubt about it.

Bottom line: Smith carried the Panthers to the playoffs. Believe it or not and to the NFC championship game. I don't know how someone can deny this.
Notice how there was no other team that was able to do that. That should spell something.

And hey, a good wide-receiver is useless without a good QB, and Delhome did a great job last year, same with the defense. The Panthers are more than just one player, now they have a excellent potential in Williams this year. They're going to remain to have a very solid team.
A high fantasy book that doesn't switch character perspective every chapter? That doesn't feature done-to-the-death Elves, Dwarves and Orcs, but brand new races? And is heavily inspired by The Legend of Zelda? You might want to check it out! Kindle version only $.99, print version OUT NOW
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-26-2006, 12:05 PM

Stats and such are one thing. People who only look at stats are likely to overrate someone like Terrell Owens. Owens has been productive, but he is slow and does not make spectacular plays like Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, Marvin Harrison, and yes, Randy Moss. Video footage cannot be distorted.

College
Promising start in Oakland
Speed/2000 playoffs
For Jims/Linkprry (Yes I know the rest of the story)
Was at this game
One handed
Too easy
Way too easy
Fun game
One of those days
Double Coverage
Rookie thrashing the Pack
Rather insane
Was at this game too
Stretch
Up and Over
Graceful
Back when we could win at Soldier Field
Darren Sharper's good, but not that good
Miracle lateral
Back of the endzone. Remarkabale

Also a remix (sorry for repeats):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgHArW9LnEk

There are many more where that came from. And I'll probably post them. I saw stuff like this on a weekly basis. It was unbelievably exciting. I feel privileged to have been able to watch him play.

I know you'll all enjoy those clips SO much

[Edit]

Hm. Seems I've killed the thread. Sorry.

[Edit 2]

Hey. The Vikings picked up a new player. He doesn't have the best reputation though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkOOn3o5XcI

Hm. That is probably one of the most fugly plays I've ever seen.

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature! NNID = Bill1989. Let's play Mario Kart!
Last Edited by Bill; 09-03-2006 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Goron
View Posts: 218

My favorite team is the colts and has been forever. It makes me mad that EVERY single year they make it to the plaoffs and lose to the patriots, last year being the steelers. Hopefully this year will be their year. They better do good as I have Peyton Manning and one off their wide outs on my fantasy team.
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-06-2006, 07:41 PM
COOLEST NOOB RUNNER UP SPRING 2004

View Posts: 5,517

Man. Every since Palmer came back I'm crazy excited. Especially with the Reds slipping now, all the emphasis is pretty much on football now. We have a new buffed-up defense, and our offense is shaping up to be one of the best in the league.

It would be nice if we didn't have the hardest schedule in the NFL, though. WHO DEY.
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Ciao.

Quick question. I know this is slightly late, since the first week started up...

But does anyone want to have a Yahoo Pick'Em league for ZUers? You know, where you pick the winner of each game each week, and Yahoo tracks our records. We're not supposed to play games on the forums, but if we started one on Yahoo, we could just keep all the picking over there, and not clutter things up here. I picked Yahoo because it's got some good fantasy sports games going on.

If you're interested, let me know, either in the thread or via PM. If we can get enough people, we could have a good league going.

#34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-08-2006, 10:54 PM

^ I'll join, but I doubt we'll have enough people.

I'd like to do the "picks" competition we did last year, but it was simply too overwhelming for me to keep up with. If we could take turns keeping things updated, that'd also be a possibility. Unfortunately, we (I) waited far too long to bring it up. It is because I am lazy.

More on topic: Vikings play the Redskins this week. Monday Night. I'm pumped.

#35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Optimistic.

I can't wait for the Redskin's game tommorrow. I'm pretty sure it'll be a great game to watch. I think Joe Gibbs will have a nice plan for the game. Hopefully I'm not to tired from school and can see the whole game.

#36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Optimistic.

Well that game was nice overall. Both teams showed alot of promise for their repective seasons. Good luck in Dallas next week, Skins!

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

#37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-11-2006, 09:58 PM
High There
View Posts: 3,090

Thus concludes the first week of games.

NFC NORTH

Bears 1-0-0

Vikings 1-0-0

Lions 0-0-1

Packers 0-0-1

I've been a Packers fan my whole life. It's hard watching my team fail game after game, and at this point, year after year. The Pack was defeated 26-0 against the Bears yesterday. The game was at Lambeau, but these days it doesn't really matter; it seems like they've been doomed to lose just about anywhere.

The game was terrible. I can't stand our defense, especially our backs. I've loved Charles Woodson for years; he's easily my favorite cornerback. We picked Woodson up earlier in the year. It was great seeing him on the team, but I have to say, he really worried me yesterday. He just didn't look the same, for whatever reason. All our backs were off their game.

Our offense wasn't any better. I don't feel the need to explain myself :p

Also, I just got done watching the Vikes/Skins game. The teams seemed pretty evenly matched, though I felt the Skins played a slightly better game. The Vikings were able to sneak away with the 3 point win; it was pretty close almost the whole game. The Vikings were able to upset a playoff team on the road in the largest, and loudest stadium in the NFL. They played a very fundamental game, both on offense and defense. Oh, and Hutchinson is a beast.

There were some good games this week, but the Packers made me sick. Not much you can do though, eh?

Standings (After Week 1)
Last Edited by Sizz; 09-12-2006 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Guardian Dragon

Yeah! Those are my Bears. Rex Grossman has really improved. I'm expecting great things this season from them. Lets go Bears!!
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2006, 09:42 PM
COOLEST NOOB RUNNER UP SPRING 2004

View Posts: 5,517

The Bengals finally got redemption against the Steelers. Even though the game was terribly sloppy. A win is a win.
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2006, 09:49 PM
High There
View Posts: 3,090

I'm happy to say the Packers will not being going without a win this season. Heh, yes, they were able to win their first game; putting them at 1-2.

The game was a little to close for my liking, but I luckily the Pack was able to hold onto the lead at the end.

It looks like the Bears may have some staying power. They're now above the rest in the NFC North with a 3-0 record. The crazy thing is, all three wins were from NFC North teams. They've beaten the Packers, Lions, and now the Vikings.

So lets see here. Packers win. Vikings lose*. Fairly good weekend.

*Cue Shiek 84

Tags
nfl, season, thread