Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-16-2006, 10:19 PM
I have no idea.
View Posts: 4,183
Throw caution to the wind, recommend Tsu some good metal, and speak of CD's bought.

...and make an experimental purchase!

I was at the used music store today, hoping to find something that would jump out and scream, "HOLY CRAP, BUY ME." I also went in hoping to possibly find something on the sample racks - something I'd never heard - that was excellent enough to buy. Unfortunately, I found no such thing. At least, not in the "Oh, wow. I need this" sense. So, what did catch my eyes was the slick cover art of Come Clarity, the newest album by the band In Flames. Took it up to the counter and asked what kind of music it was, and pretty much bought it on the spot. I've taken some time to listen to about half of the album now, and I'm pretty impressed with it as a whole. Melodic, heavy, awesome and lacking of vocals that I would consider obnoxious. Everything I'd look for in metal.

I've never really tried to just go out and buy something on a whim, especially given the risk of buying something that I would inevitably hate and waste money on, so I thought today turned out pretty well. I'm certainly going to be looking into thier past albums.

So. Hadn't made a thread in a long while and thought this would make for an interesting topic. Discussing others similar experiences and the like.
Have at it.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-16-2006, 10:23 PM
space travel is boring
View Posts: 2,073
Re: Throw caution to the wind, recommend Tsu some good metal, and speak of CD's bought.

I bought Wolfmothers album on the spot not knowing.

I saw wolf and cub live not knowing what thier music was like and I love them.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Hi. :D
View Posts: 655
Re: Throw caution to the wind, recommend Tsu some good metal, and speak of CD's bought.

I ordered two Porcupine Tree CDs for a really cheap deal on eBay a few weeks ago. Not really a blind buy, considering I have their more recent stuff, but the two albums I ordered are much different (and I can never pass up 2 new CDs for $12 ). They're more mellow, Pink Floyd-esque as opposed to their recent, more "heavy" material. Both are awesome and now I want even more of their albums.

I never really buy things completely blindly. I usually try to hear a few samples, or at least have an idea what the band sounds like. If I walked into a store and picked out a random CD to buy, chances are, I wouldn't like it.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Big Damn Hero
Send a message via Skype™ to Galedeep
Steam ID: nolanam
View Posts: 13,572

I've never bought a CD that I know nothing about. However, this year I started getting CDs that I've heard good things about without actually hearing them first when I needed a pair of CDs to get a discount (the big record store chain here always has 2/$30 or 2/$25 deals on). So this past year I ended up with The Gorillaz, Broken Social Scene, The Arcade Fire, and a couple of others I'm forgetting because of this. So far some of them have sparked my fancy more than others, but they've all been ok purchases.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Chemins de Souffrance
Send a message via AIM to CrushedHope
View Posts: 1,221

God, if you like Come Clarity don't even bother with their other albums. CC is absolute ****, and I'm betting you if you had heard their other albums before that you would agree.

I think the best blind buy I have ever made was The Project Hate MCMXCIX - Hate, Dominate, Congregate, Eliminate. It is amazing melodic death metal with electronic music infused into the sound. There is a heavy usage of clean female vocals, mixed into the harsh male vocals (which go between death metal gutteral growls, and black metal screams, the BM screams ironically done by one of the worst BM vocalists ever for one of the worst BM bands ever (guy from Dark Funeral) but they are amazing on this.) The guitars and synths work perfectly together and dear Satan it just is amazing. HATE DOMINATE CONGREGATE ELIMINATE! Anti-Christ music to the max. Heh.

Thanks to Veritas for the signature!
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-17-2006, 07:57 PM
I have no idea.

Oh, damnit all. I hate doing this, but... as you see the need to say it, I feel the need to defend my newfound taste to some extent.

I have no problem with them being called garbage, **** or any variant. Seary's response was mature enough. But... Liking the latest album means I should stray away from the older ones, those that, so I've read from you and others, are supposedly better? Flawless logic at its best. I kindly thank you for looking upon me so highly.

Yeah, I enjoy Come Clarity. I can't help what I like, can you? I'm willing to wager I'll like thier older albums, too (More, even? Well, ****. It's certainly possible, isn't it?). So, take the unnecessary comments elsewhere. Such things are neither here nor there and I think it's rather childish, to be honest. So, you know, chill out, enjoy what you like and let others do the same without insulting them for it - listen and let listen, as it were. Easy enough, no?

That's the end of that. Back on topic.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2006, 03:45 AM
I have no idea.

And such as it is with other bands whose more recent material I heard first. I like old and new just the same, style differences or not. Seemed to me that it was more like, "you like crap, so... avoid what's 'really good.''' If that's a misconception on my part, well, that's my fault.

I have a feeling I will like thier older material more. What I heard in Come Clarity was promise of something that could be more and based on what I've read, that's what the older albums are. So... I plan on looking into them, believe you me.

And after having listened to those samples I must say, I enjoy what I'm hearing more. The vocals are much better and the music's more slick, too. So, that's that. Time to hit the record store again. Or load Limewire. Whatever.

Err. The topic evolved.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Chemins de Souffrance

Eh, their old sound is nothing like CC but please do check their older albums out, I'd say only listen to The Lunar Strain, but that would be me interfering in you finding a new band to listen to. >_> so yeah.

If you want something that will kick your ass three times over but is still very melodic, get Omnium Gatherum - Spirits and August Light. This album will make you forget all about In Flames.

#9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2006, 09:49 PM
I have no idea.

Yeah. There, it's all fixed and stuff. Much more flexible, this thread has become.

So... by all means, enlighten me on the metal scene and know that I'm pretty open to most anything. And... you know, CD's bought, since Seary mentioned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushedHope
If you want something that will kick your ass three times over but is still very melodic, get Omnium Gatherum - Spirits and August Light. This album will make you forget all about In Flames.
Sounds promising. I'm definitely going ot look into that as well. An edit or new post will follow.

Edit: In a word - awesome. Yeah, In Flames pretty much sucks in comparison.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Super High School Level Video Game Message Board Poster
Send a message via AIM to Hoopy Frood
Steam ID: powerageshadow
View Posts: 6,862

You could try some Opeth. They can be pretty melodic. I'm not a big fan of that kind of metal, but Opeth are pretty cool.

*Resists urge to recommend power metal.*

Let's Play/Game Commentary |Twitter | Gaming Blog

Voted #1 Biggest Video Game Nerd Summer 2014
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2006, 09:53 AM
The Hank
Steam ID: Haggard_Hank
View Posts: 2,022

i think searanox will call me an ass for this, but i dont care
i recommend a lot from Roadrunner Records, they have a lot of very good bands (in my opinion, all of this is in my opinion )
i seriously recommend Soulfly - Soulfly (self titled, recently re-released, with about 34 tracks)
Trivium - Ascendancy, pretty new band to the scene, fairly young, imo a very interesting style

aaand, for a change: Roadrunner United, the All-star sessions
to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Roadrunner Records, they picked 4 artists from those 25 years, to create an album, its not just "Band A makes song A, band C, makes song C, etcetera" no its "drummer from band a, guitarist from band X bass from band theta12beta makes song 1, etcetera" 54 (i think) artists out of...somewher ein the 40, not sure, left cd at friends place cant check, all mixed together, the bonus dvd is also fun to watch, its a very interesting cd. ^^

id also reccomend Otep, Slipknot, Chimaira, Devildriver, Arch Enemy, and so many more, but i think my taste probably differs from yours, dunno, check it out ^^
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2006, 11:13 AM
Chemins de Souffrance

Well, first off Foamy, he is asking for metal, not a bunch of rock and -core ****, and second of all none of those bands are worth listening to aside from VERY early Arch Enemy.

Anyways, I really think you will enjoy the following bands.

Ash and Elm
Arsis
The Project Hate MCMXCIX

#13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2006, 11:19 AM
The Hank
Steam ID: Haggard_Hank
View Posts: 2,022

first off, no need for the offensive tone, and second, please dont make your posts and opinions as if they're absolute.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Chemins de Souffrance

Oh but my opinions are absolute.

#15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Alexi Laiho is overrated.
Send a message via AIM to Larsixo
View Posts: 987

The man has a point, Foamy. All the bands you listed make me want to listen to Yellowcard. And Yellowcard sucks.

Bam Margera is terrible.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Hi. :D
View Posts: 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukasa
Yeah. There, it's all fixed and stuff. Much more flexible, this thread has become.

So... by all means, enlighten me on the metal scene and know that I'm pretty open to most anything. And... you know, CD's bought, since Seary mentioned it.

Sounds promising. I'm definitely going ot look into that as well. An edit or new post will follow.

Edit: In a word - awesome. Yeah, In Flames pretty much sucks in comparison.
I'm not an expert in metal, but a few good bands to look into are:

Riverside: A new progressive metal band from Poland. They only have two albums out so far and they're both great. I recommend Second Life Syndrome if you like heavier stuff and Out of Myself if you like more melodic metal (personally, I think Out of Myself is better).

Pain of Salvation: Probably the best metal band I've heard. I'd start with anything except BE, which is really different and unaccessable for some people.

Psychotic Waltz: Get A Social Grace or Into the Everflow. Both are two of the best metal albums ever. Psychotic Waltz are a really unique band, described as "Progressive Hippie Metal" so it must be good.

Shadow Gallery: I'm sure you know Dream Theater, and if you like them, you'll like SG as well because they're really similar. All their albums besides the debut are great.

Opeth: One of the few death metal bands I really enjoy. I got Morningrise recently and it's fantastic. Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries are probably my favorites (I hear Still Life is great too).

Just go to Amazon and listen to some samples of these bands, all of them are very melodic so you should like them.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Chemins de Souffrance

The man speaks the truth about Pain of Salvation =) Best band ever.

#18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2006, 10:11 PM
I have no idea.

I'll look into those, thanks guys.

Seems I have a store relatively clsoe to me that specializes in metal and all of it's obscurities, so finding this stuff if and when I decide to purchase it shouldn't be difficult at all. Went there and picked up Spirit and August Light today, actually, since none of the main music dealers had anything by them at all. Pretty cool place.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-20-2006, 05:27 PM
mmm...Beer
Send a message via AIM to zero88
View Posts: 349

I like the new In Flames cd, and I still enjoy the older stuff, like Lunar Strain and Whoracle. I haven't really been in a store and bought something from a band I have heard nothing about, but I had heard good things about Necrophagist, so I bought their most recent release, and I liked it quite a bit. I also bought Deliverance by Opeth in a store and was impressed with it, so I bought all of their albums.

I'm excited about this, also.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-20-2006, 05:46 PM
I have no idea.

HEY! I have one of those. :D

Oh, and Sear, It's in a very crappy area of the city. But, it is what it is, so I'm not really complaining. Just... wary of the area. =/

Tags
bought, caution, good, metal, recommend, speak, throw, tsu, wind