Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 05:54 PM
There is no such thing as innocence. Only degrees of guilt.
Steam ID: The Arbitrator
View Posts: 9,204
The Dictator

Or: Sacha Baron Cohen does it again.

Anyone who knows me knows that I have a fascination with totalitarian states and the concept of dictatorship, and I get my giggles from reading stories about the crazy self-indulgent behaviours of autocrats around the world.

So when this film was announced, there was not a doubt in my mind that despite the flop that was Bruno, I was going to see it and love it.

And I thought it was excellent. A combination of outrageous statements regarding oppression and political satire, it was another work of genius by Sacha Baron Cohen. When you realise that many of the behaviours of his Admiral General Aladeen was more or less taken from headlines concerning Muammar Gaddafi, Saddam Hussein and Kim Jong-Il among others, it just makes it all the more hilarious.

Discuss.

"Even should the heavens fall, let Justice prevail."
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-06-2012, 05:42 AM
/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY /watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY is a male Central African Republic /watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY is offline
Sage of Wisdom
Send a message via Skype™ to /watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY
View Posts: 1,075
Re: The Dictator

Above average in my opinion but far from Sacha's best work. The most laughs came from the start and end, I didn't really care for the bit when he was trying to become the leader of Wadiya again... y'know the plot in general. The characters were hilarious but to be honest I wanted to see more of the Dictator (Can't remember his name for the life of me!) in Wadiya being awesome. It has convinced me to grow a beard and go into a African country though, you never know.
Last Edited by /watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY; 06-06-2012 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-06-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzraelBlack View Post
Remind me to never trust in your opinion of a film again.

I just saw this. I was at the mall and my friend said we should see film, I saw The Dictator and was like "Oh! Lord Zero said it was good, he's pretty on ball".

Errr
I want my money back man. It was soooo bad.
You know me, I love a good debate, so humour me - what was it you didn't like?

In particular, I quite like the satire based on the simple fact that many real life dictators actually do the insanely absurd things that Admiral General Aladeen did in the film. It's not funny in and of itself, it's funny because you know that someone, somewhere, has actually done those things with power. And simultaneously horrifying.

I'm with Toby above however that it wasn't the plot itself I enjoyed, it was more the implications coming from the plot about Aladeen's behaviour in Wadiya.

I will qualify my liking of this film with one little fact about myself though - I have been fascinated with dictatorships and totalitarianism throughout the years so maybe this film is a case of "I give it two stars more than everyone else because it touches on a subject matter of my interest".

Last Edited by Lord Zero; 06-06-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: notthatothername
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-06-2012, 07:08 PM

The thing with this, I feel, is that it was less over the top - for a start there was a lot more scripted and filmed parts in this. I actually doubt there were any parts of this film which were him hanging out with ignorant people and laughing at their expense, whereas Borat was exactly that (which succeeded, don't get me wrong). Bruno fell flat on its face in both respects, so I definitely disagree that "2 was better".

Plus, I feel this was if anything more subtly intelligent - it does rely on the fact that you know that there are real dictators out there like this, and there comes a scene towards the end where he digs his heel into American "democracy".

I have since writing the OP re-assessed my opinion. Yes, it had some scatological humour (and yes I can wholeheartedly agree that there was some Scary Movie in there) but overall I think that it was good, satirically, save for the central plot.

I don't deny that Borat was miles better. I just suggest that this wasn't crap, and is actually enjoyable.

Last Edited by Lord Zero; 06-06-2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-07-2012, 02:27 AM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 19

Honestly I want my money back. A friend wanted to see it but I should have said ❤❤❤❤ it and saw the avengers. It was sensational for the sake of it and while I'm not easily offended, intended parts just weren't funny...IMO at least
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-07-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond David Hume View Post
Honestly I want my money back. A friend wanted to see it but I should have said ❤❤❤❤ it and saw the avengers. It was sensational for the sake of it and while I'm not easily offended, intended parts just weren't funny...IMO at least
Okay now I didn't hate the Dictator but you had a choice between this and the Avengers and you went with this?

#7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 19

My friend already saw the avengers so I wasn't going to make him see it again!

I did like how the speech at the end essentially described America though...that was great