Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 6,223
Musicians. The difficulty?

So for all the musicians on ZU, I'm wondering what's the most difficulty for you when you play your instrument?

For me, its getting the time to practice and actually focusing since it seems like once my mentor teaches me something, it always feels like what I learn goes in one ear and out the other.

Also since I graduated high school I've been taking private lessons to help me learn while not in school mainly Music Theory. Which the hardest for me, to teach myself Music Theory and Ear Training until I transfer to a university.

So basically, what's the hardest for you when practicing?
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 07:25 PM
so ridoclus
Send a message via Skype™ to Jordan
Steam ID: deafas♥♥♥♥
View Posts: 10,868
Re: Musicians. The difficulty?

not rushing. It is tempting to try to run everything as fast as you think you can right off the bat but if you don't play it well at 60 BPM you shouldn't be playing it all. The past year that's what I have been focusing on, trying to make my picking and fretting technique when I play eighths at 60 exactly the same as my picking and fretting technique when I play them at 220.
3 people liked this post: ɹɐǝqıɹǝ, Keith, notthatothername
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Prince Blueblood Prince Blueblood is a male United States Prince Blueblood is offline
Prince of the Sea!
View Posts: 381

Mainly finding time to practice . There's this one kid in my band that is better than me but he has three periods of school to practice in I feel if I had that time I'd be able to do something with it!

Click my Egg please so that it will hatch!!!
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Blueblood View Post
Mainly finding time to practice . There's this one kid in my band that is better than me but he has three periods of school to practice in I feel if I had that time I'd be able to do something with it!
Same, I've been playing a little over 4-5 years now and I should be way better than I am now.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 07:34 AM
The King in Yellow
Steam ID: Gilgameš
View Posts: 346

I am an amateur musician in the correct interpretation for the word, so I've had no "real" difficulties. On the other hand, this answer probably won't help yout that much because of it. : P

My greatest problem nonetheless is playing regularly. When I get an inspiration, I get an inspiration. But when not... Well, I'm practically worthless then. Acquiring instruments without any theoretic knowledge of music is hard as well.

To work on your doubts and fears.

Give me the headline -- I'll give you the war;

A greedy and cold profiteer.
"
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Amanda Mullins
View Posts: 10,922

I would never say I am a musician, but I did play clarinet and for me the strangest difficulty was playing in front of other people. I suddenly would feel very self conscious about everything I played - and it would always come out far worse than when I would play by myself.

I think everyone has that issue though.

I would say I am an illustrator/artist though, and this is also an issue. People like to watch me sketch and I really don't like it when they watch me so closely... it's a little uncomfortable.

my website | deviantart | tumblr | zu art thread | blogger || avy/sig art © Amanda Mullins

hey hinkle-vinkle, eat ze armpit ja!?
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,044

well there are certain things playing guitar wise that i am not really good with, but on the other hand im rather good at tremolo picking and writing riffs.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Paynetrayne11 Paynetrayne11 is a male United States Paynetrayne11 is offline
Musician and Gamer
View Posts: 59

It's not so much of practicing and finding the time to do so that I find difficult. What I find difficult is making the most use out of my practice sessions. Sometimes I can go for two to three hours a day, but not feel like I'm getting anything out of it. Otherwise, I will practice for just an hour a day, and I feel like I'm making the same kind of progress I was making when I was practicing for two to three hours a day. I feel like it has to do with endurance though, meaning I start getting tired after an hour of practicing. Also, I may not be as productive during my practice times as I should be, especially when I get tired.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-18-2012, 12:30 AM
ALL FRUITS GET INSIDE ME
View Posts: 201

I haven't taken lessons in any instrument save piano, so often the difficulty is not in finding time to practice, but in knowing what to practice. I can't count the number of times I've tried something too hard for my skill level and gotten discouraged, or had my skill level just plateau because everything I learn is too easy. Finding the balance in what you learn is a lot harder without a teacher.

Finding time to practice is definitely the most obvious one, though, especially with classes getting harder as the year winds up.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Sage of Wisdom
Wii U ID: WoodwindsRock
View Posts: 2,883

The difficulty is in the fact that the bassoon is an instrument that requires a great attention-to-detail, and I switched to it when I was yet to learn what it was to be a musician. I played in band for several years, but only among others. I didn't really play for myself. I didn't count for myself, and I didn't hold myself to high standards in being consistent even then.

I didn't realize it when I was wanting to play the bassoon, but it was to be that major wake-up call instrument. It doesn't allow for hiding in the ensemble, and therefore it doesn't allow for not counting at all and inconsistency. On top of that, consistency is not easy on this instrument. It requires specific things to be done otherwise things will go horribly wrong.

I now know what I got myself into, but I wouldn't change it. Because I'm setting my standards high this time.

------

#11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-18-2012, 11:47 AM
I am a koala get on my horse
Send a message via Skype™ to The Dude
View Posts: 6,529

For me its the price of instruments
Practicing isn't a problem! I never set a time or schedule to practice as I feel that would make playing seem like a chore. I just have my guitar and keyboard with me at all times in the house and when i'm not there I usually take my guitar with me!

#12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-19-2012, 04:13 AM
I swear that I don't have a gun
View Posts: 3,116

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzraelBlack View Post
Aside from timing issues, which is a very bad habit to get into, I really struggle at writing music. I hate 95% of what I write lol.

Nah, just messing with ya. I'm the same way when it comes to anything creative. It's never good enough.

My biggest problem is probably rushing things. I'll nail a riff once and consider it "mastered". The next time I pick up the instrument I'm always amazed that I have to sit down and practice it again. I'm not the brightest bulb.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
Aside from timing issues, which is a very bad habit to get into, I really struggle at writing music. I hate 95% of what I write lol.
I don't know how to write music at all LOL

I mean I can probably think of lyrics but from my experience of writing lyrics...they're all emo, lovesick sadness bull❤❤❤❤ from back in high school.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Resident Minister of Juices

View Posts: 15,558

My biggest difficulty is switching keys. When I play piano, going from one key to the other can be challenging.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
Writing music is a skill just like playing the guitar its self.

It's something you just develop over time.
Lol provided you have the right training. Like I said, I don't even have formal training in music theory. So its not like I can write anything that's actually good.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-20-2012, 05:31 AM
I am a koala get on my horse
Send a message via Skype™ to The Dude
View Posts: 6,529

I agree!!!
I am all self taught, and I find writing music to be a separate skill from actual playing an instrument that requires practice over time as well. Your first few songs will probably suck but if you keep practicing writing then you will eventually become a song wizard

#17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 01:43 AM
Sage of Wisdom

ive never really bothered with music theory. I just have practiced a ❤❤❤❤load of various songs in different styles so now i have a more instinctive feeling and understanding of various genres and if i want to write in such styles i just play a few songs in that style to get the juices flowing and start writing my own stuff.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Disembodied Loaf Disembodied Loaf is a male United States Disembodied Loaf is offline
View Posts: 1,375

Writing music is the term used for doing it by ear. Composition is the term used for doing it by theory. Over the course of nearly 3 years, I became pretty good at songwriting, but then my teacher taught me how to compose. It's kind of like starting over, because now you have to think about theory and intervals. I'm getting better at it. It also helps to have some intuition. Sometimes it's just best to do what sounds good. Don't rely in rules too much. That's one thing that's wrong with pop music.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Sage of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ɹɐǝqıɹǝ View Post
Any time you have to do solos, harmonies, chord progressions etc., it's much faster to do it based on theory than feeling things out. It also gets you out of your comfort zone because you'll know which sorts of scales and chords work together and how to make them fit together, rather than just coming up with stuff based on past experience or by ripping off other music.

The trap with obeying music theory is limited knowledge can also limit what you're capable of, so "feel" is still important, but trust me, even something as simple as knowing your major scale (full scale with all seven modes) will speed up your songwriting by a huge factor.
i dunno i am pretty fast at writing stuff and you have heard my stuff. Id say none of what ive written is an obvious rip off of some band. I think riffs even are quite original. While i do have some issues i think with writing in terms of getting a consistent flow in a song. Riffs are not.

Also considering id rather hear another riff than a solo it is usually better to have someone else write a solo haha.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-22-2012, 06:41 PM
A.K.A. ASBW, ASttP, AStinkToThePast
View Posts: 3,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyaki View Post
Lol provided you have the right training. Like I said, I don't even have formal training in music theory. So its not like I can write anything that's actually good.
Are you talking about writing songs, or composing music (instrumentation without the words)? Because you don't need to know music theory to write a song. Music theory can help to open your mind to other possibilities and help you understand why certain chords and melodies sound good together, but it isn't an obstacle that you gotta pass in order to write a song.

But, back on topic, I started out playing piano by ear, and later received formal training. To me, THAT was the most difficult thing ever. I practically had to re-learn everything I taught myself. I already knew how to play the things that I wanted to, so it made it all the more difficult to concentrate on learning how to read sheet music.