Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Am I the only person ____?
View Posts: 10,358
NBA Playoffs

NBA playoffs started today, with the Bulls and Heat defeating the 76ers and Knicks, respectively. For the Bulls, victory came at a huge cost as Derrick Rose was lost to injury for the remainder of the playoffs.

The Bulls have won without Rose for the entire year, but the playoffs are a different matter. They shouldn't have any trouble with the Sixers, but going forward, their chances took a massive hit today. I feel bad for them.

Those who know me know I'm a Lakers fan. Can't say I'm too optimistic about their chances this year, though. They've been inconsistent all season. OKC and San Antonio are tough, and barring a fairly significant upset, LA will have to win series against both.

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature! NNID = Bill1989. Let's play Mario Kart!
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Fighter of the Nightman.
View Posts: 8,804
Re: NBA Playoffs

Go Heat, and yes I think the Bulls are done w/o Rose.

That kind of messed up my First round predictions

Spurs in 5: Coach Popovich, has a deep and talented squad that boasts an MVP candidate in Tony Parker. The Utah Jazz was the last team to qualify, but they are not your average #8 seed. The Jazz will need to push their advantage on the boards and in the paint as Utah is the NBA’s premier Points in the Paint team.

Grizzlies in 7:

The matchup down low of Randolph/Gasol and Griffin/Jordan will be fun to watch. The un-polished nature of Blake Griffin’s game, will decide this series in my opinion. The Clippers don’t have an option for efficient scoring down the stretch in games, and the Grizzlies are built on precisely that. Chris Paul will extend this series the full 7

Lakers in 5: The health of Kobe Bryant is a concern, but the size advantage the Lakers boast and Mike Brown’s defensive philosophy of extending his defense on the perimeter to take away three point shooting, will pay dividends in what will be a short series(even though Artest got suspended)

Thunder in 6: While OKC does not have an answer for Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas will have issues matching up with the speed of OKC. Although the Mavs’ defensive numbers are looking very much like last year’s, their offensive efficiency has been putrid and they rely more than ever on the mid range game, which will be murder in this series.

Bulls in 7: I was going to say Bulls in 5 but the loss of Rose hurts them, we all knew they were limping into the playoffs and now that lack of health will be the reason they wont win it all. But I think The Bulls can still beat Philly, they are an excellent defensive team. The Sixers have given the Bulls alot of trouble and thats mainly due to their small lineup.

Heat in 5:

The Knicks propensity to run isolation offense will play right into the hands of the NBA’s #1 Iso Defense, and they have not built much chemistry to do much else.On paper, this is the most lopsided series of the first round based on team rankings, and stats. Only the Knicks star power and an extraordinary performance can force a 6th game. I say they get 1 to break a playoff game winless streak that stretches past 10 years.

Pacers in 5:

While the Heat/Knicks matchup is the most lopsided on paper, this one is the most lopsided in reality. The Magic as presently constituted do not belong in the playoffs. This team minus Dwight Howard is no better than a .500 lottery team that would struggle for a run at a #8 seed..

Hawks in 7:

With Al Horford in, I think the Hawks would be clear cut favorites in this series. The media at large still has this romantic notion that the Celtics are the same Celtics that reigned atop the Eastern Conference. They are not. They have however improved in the youth and athleticism department, but playoff success will only come from what Rondo, Pierce and Garnett give them. Ray Allen’s injury and up in the air status at this late date, makes him likely to not have any impact on this series.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-29-2012, 11:26 AM
The Comeback Kid
Send a message via AIM to Notsil Send a message via Skype™ to Notsil
Steam ID: LTK419

View Posts: 13,367

I dunno a damn thing about basketball, but I went to a Sixers game when I was a kid,

So Sixers in six.

i had this too so whooooh
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Fighter of the Nightman.

#5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-29-2012, 01:26 PM
I prefer the term "treasure hunting"!
Send a message via Skype™ to Ahluk
View Posts: 7,025

I am a Rocket man, and am totally disappointed, although the Playoffs look pretty good this year.

I'll take OKC, they've got the talent damn it
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-30-2012, 04:49 AM
Fallen Brave Fallen Brave is a male United States Fallen Brave is offline
Life is a challenge-meet it. Life is a dream-realize it. Life is love-enjoy it.
Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Brave
View Posts: 813

I am so glad that the playoffs started. And my favorite player is CP3 and I loved the comeback they had today. It was great. Even though Memphis has been playing their best basketball as of late. I just wish that they had Billups back. Then they would be closer to a contender. But this is the first time they have been in the playoffs in a long time. So within the next couple of years I'm hoping they will win a Championship.

Well the Bulls did win without him, but the playoffs are different. I think they will win the first series against the sixers but won't make it to the Finals. I am not a Heat Fan but they have looked pretty good throughout the year.

If I had to make a prediction I will say it's going to be the Spurs and Heat. As long as the Spurs stay healthy. They have been playing great basketball lately.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Fighter of the Nightman.

I think with Roses injury, the Heat winning the East is a certainty.
I think its going to be a Heat-OKC or Heat-Spurs Finals matchup.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-12-2012, 08:26 PM

If the Lakers blow Game 7 tonight, I think the entire team needs to be blown up (specifically, Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum).

Even if they win, they will likely be swept by OKC in embarrassing fashion next found. Even so, anything can happen, and that's why I want them to win to play another day.

The Lakers have no business losing this series to Denver. Losing to San Antonio or OKC is one thing, but Denver is a team with inferior talent. They have no star players. The last two games have been an embarrassing display for the Lakers. No heart, no hustle. Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol have been outplayed by no names Javale McGee, Kenneth Faried, and Motzgov(?--I literally can't remember his first name)

The play of Pau Gasol has been most shameful. That man seems to have simply lost his desire to compete. He seems satisfied with the two rings. For the second playoffs in a row, he seems to have completely checked out. Watching him get outworked, out-muscled, and constantly settle for long jumpers is a disgusting thing to see. Win or lose, I think his time in LA is over.

Screw the NBA for blocking the Laker's trade for Chris Paul. That was absolute BS. If the Lakers had Paul/Bryant/Bynum, things would be a lot different right now. Unlike Pau, Paul plays with heart. And he's hungry.

Bynum hasn't been as bad as Gasol, but he's a frustrating case as well. He has shown that he can physically dominate games (see: 30 rebounds against San Antonio a month back) but he too seems uninterested some time. This season, it has become apparent that he is a "diva" personality, who appears to be more concerned with his numbers and reputation than a championship.

The only thing that makes me hopeful is the return of Ron Artest. He was playing better in the last month of the season. And one thing you can't take away from his is that, like Kobe, he plays with heart even if his physical abilities have declined.

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature! NNID = Bill1989. Let's play Mario Kart!
Last Edited by Bill; 05-12-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Fighter of the Nightman.

Quote:
And one thing you can't take away from his is that, like Kobe, he plays with heart even if his physical abilities have declined.
He is also the same sack of crap that started the Malice at the Palice.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Who told you I was paranoid? Was it the government?
View Posts: 992

I'm a D-Wade fan, so yeah, Heat all the way for me.

PREDICTIONS:

Heat vs Pacers (HEAT AT 5)
Although the Pacers have the strenghts of the Heat's weaknesses (point guard and center), I don't see the Pacers getting a win against the Heat with Wade and Lebron on the floor.

76ers vs Celtics (CELTICS AT 7)
Not a fan of both teams but I think Celtics will win. Although, after game 1 today, a tiny part of me says that 76ers can beat the Celtics. They have young legs, deep and has a lot of weapons at their arsenal.

No Western conference predictions so far, but right now, it's Thunder and the Spurs for the finals, unless Kobe, CP3, and Rudy went beasting H.A.M.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-12-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insert Pony Name Here View Post
He is also the same sack of crap that started the Malice at the Palice.
True, but also sort of irrelevant. That was how many years ago? He also sold his championship ring to raise money for charity. He is a headcase with an uncontrollable temper, but I don't think he is necessarily a sack of ❤❤❤❤. Andrew Bynum seems like the bigger douche in my opinion.

[EDIT]

Well, Gasol and Bynum redeemed themselves somewhat. In my opinion, it in no way excuses the way they played the last two games, but at least the Lakers live to play one more round. If they play with that kind of energy, the Lakers have a very small chance of upsetting OKC.

As angry as I was with Gasol, I was genuinely happy to see him play well. He seems like a good guy and I appreciate what he has brought to the last few years. His performance last night reminded me of Game 7 of the finals against the Celts two years back. Only problem is that it came against a lesser opponent and in the first round.

Ron Artest was huge. I don't think the Lakers win without his contribution. It's a cliche, but his impact is not necessarily seen on the stat sheet. Sure, the four three-pointers were a boon, but he locked down Miller and Gallenari, and just made play after play on the defensive end. This is the best he has played as a Laker. He can be a huge difference make if he plays like this. It's hard to believe because he was absolutely AWFUL early in the season.

Another guy who was a hero for the Lakers was Steve Blake. Actually, he was the hero in Game 4 as well. He's another guy who has played very poorly at times this season, so it was nice to see him step up.

The Lakers were very fortunate to escape this series. Maybe it will be a wake-up call. It's very frustrating to watch a team that does not give full effort all the time--even in the playoffs! If they do that against OKC, they're going to get killed.

Nonetheless, I'm excited for this match-up!

There's nobody I'd rather have to cover Kevin Durant than Ron Artest. I hope he can wear down that skinny frame over the course of a series. And, in their last meeting during the regular season, the Lakers finally found an answer for Westbrook, which was to Kobe on him. The size really frustrated him. I was actually surprised to see the old man could stay with him reasonably well! Problem is, will expending that much energy on D hurt Kobe on offense? Fatigue was clearly an issue for him in Game 7 v. Denver.

The player that scares me is James Harden. If he and Durant are in the game at the same time, I'm not sure how the Lakers are going to cover him. Possibly Matt Barnes or Devin Ebanks, but they have struggled offensively.

The good news for the Lakers is that after Durant/Westbrook/Harden, the Thunder actually don't have much scoring. In fact, in terms of scoring, they may be even more "top-heavy" than the Lakers. Ibalka and Perkins are staunch on defense and capable of giving Bynum and Gasol fits, BUT they're limited offensively, so hopefully the Laker bigs will be able to cheat and help against the perimeter players. Similarly, Sephalosha (?) will make things tough for Bryant, but is a relative non-threat on offense.

The blueprint for a Lakers victory is the same as it always is. Slow the game down and make it a methodical, half-court type game. Probably no team operates better in the half-court than the Lakers. Their weakness is when the other team runs and Gasol and Bynum are caught lethargically plodding up the floor.

Come to think of it, the Lakers style rarity in today's NBA. Today's NBA is point-guard and fast break dominated. Everyone is playing "small-ball." Just think about all the great point guards out there--it seems like every team has one (Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Rajon Rondo, Brandon Jennings, Tony Parker, Russel Westbrook, Derek Rose etc.). Now think about the great centers: Dwight Howard and Andrew Bynum.

But, I think the Lakers (and to an extent, the older Spurs teams) have shown that when it comes playoff time, size and grit still matter. When teams play hard and hustle, the game tends to slow down and size wins out over speed. At least that's what the Lakers are banking on.

Last Edited by Bill; 05-13-2012 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Fighter of the Nightman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneaes View Post
I'm a D-Wade fan, so yeah, Heat all the way for me.

PREDICTIONS:

Heat vs Pacers (HEAT AT 5)
Although the Pacers have the strenghts of the Heat's weaknesses (point guard and center), I don't see the Pacers getting a win against the Heat with Wade and Lebron on the floor.

Bosh has been playing pretty good at Center actually even though he's not a true big.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-13-2012, 12:54 PM

When Chris Bosh plays well, I don't think anyone can beat the Heat.

[EDIT]

Gah, can't believe the Clippers won. I want to see a battle for LA in the conference finals! That'd be seven home games for the Lakers!

Last Edited by Bill; 05-13-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Fighter of the Nightman.

Maybe the media will shut up for 5 seconds about how scary the Celtics are.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-14-2012, 10:24 PM

Bosh is out for the rest of the Heat-Pacers series, major drawback from the Heat. The Heat need size.

The Celtics are indeed scary. They're like the East's Spurs, old but still kicking ass. Though in my opinion, the Spurs are better because of their legacy.

What are you guys thoughts about Nash thinking about joining the Heat?
Last Edited by Araneaes; 05-14-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Fighter of the Nightman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneaes View Post
Bosh is out for the rest of the Heat-Pacers series, major drawback from the Heat. The Heat need size.

The Celtics are indeed scary. They're like the East's Spurs, old but still kicking ass. Though in my opinion, the Spurs are better because of their legacy.

What are you guys thoughts about Nash thinking about joining the Heat?

Miami can beat the Pacers and the Sixers without Bosh, the Celtics are a different story. LBJ can play PF, Joel Anthony is a great defender, but alot of guys are going to need to step up offensively until Bosh gets back.

As for Nash, well I didnt understand the NBA's CBA rules before the lockout, I wouldnt understand it now. I dont know how we'd make cap space for him.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-16-2012, 04:22 PM

Tonight we'll see if the Lakers have any chance whatsoever against the Thunder. I'm leaning towards no, but I have a small hope that Game 1 was simply the result of one team being young and rested after a four game sweep while the other was old and drained after a grueling seven game affair.

The problem is the same as it has always been for the Lakers in the Gasol era. Can't stop the fast athletic point guard or defend the P&R. I actually thought the Lakers did some OK things in Game 1, but OKC was REALLY hot. It's almost impossible to beat a team that shoots that well.

What makes them tough is that they have 3 guys who can take the ball off the dribble, and the Lakers simply can't cover them all. When Durant, Westbrook and Harden penetrate the lane, it causes all kinds of problems.

The Lakers may simply be over-matched in this series, but if they are to have any chance at all, they're going to need to try some new match-ups. Steve Blake on James Harden does not work. In my opinion, they need to consider sacrificing offense and bring a young player like Devin Ebanks into the game to guard Harden. He's taller and more athletic than Blake, might have a shot to slow down Harden.

OKC could be a dynasty in the making. Their core is exceptional (Durant, Westbrook, Harden) and young (24, 23, 22 respectively). Lucky bastards to hit on three high draft picks in a row.

I couldn't believe the end of that Heat/Pacers game. Both teams tried to give the game away at the line. I was shocked Indy found enough offense to win it at the end. And I couldn't believe Wade missed that layup near the end. He had a great angle and it was a shot he would normally make. It must have been fatigue. Nonetheless, my strong feeling is that Indy is going to have to win one more in Miami to take the series; I don't see them winning all three at home. Pacers make me think of the Nuggets. They're deep, but don't really have a star player.

Heat/Pacers (2 v. 3) and Celtics/Sixers (4 v. 8) definitely makes you consider the merit of reseeding. I'm no fan of the Heat, but why should they have to play the higher seed when they had a better regular season record? Personally, I don't think that is fair or right.

Spurs/Clippers should be a snore of a series. Probably another sweep for San Antonio. Also, even though the Sixers stole one in Boston, I don't expect that to be much of a series either. The Sixers have over-achieved to a ridiculous level, but I think the Celt's lack of energy was the reason they lost Game 2.

#18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Fighter of the Nightman.

Quote:
Heat/Pacers (2 v. 3) and Celtics/Sixers (4 v. 8) definitely makes you consider the merit of reseeding. I'm no fan of the Heat, but why should they have to play the higher seed when they had a better regular season record? Personally, I don't think that is fair or right.
The way seeding in the NBA works has always bothered me also.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-16-2012, 08:08 PM

Don't forget Serge Ibaka of OKC. This guy should had been DPOY instead of Chandler. Chandler should have won it last year when he's with the Mavs. He just stands out more this season because the Knicks doesn't know how to play defense.

What I can't believe more in the Heat vs Pacers' game 2 is that the MVP missed 2 clutched free throws. THE MVP!
Miller, Chalmers and Haslem needs to step up. Oh and they need to get rid of Juwan Howard. I have nothing against the old guy but I figure pulling out Chris Webber out of his retirement is better than Juwan.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Fighter of the Nightman.

When the next player after Wade and James only has 5 points you have a problem.