Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Am I the only person ____?
View Posts: 10,010
Mostly for Guys: Girly Songs you Like

Just to put my perspective in context, understand that I have a very undeveloped and amateurish taste in music. I basically listen to pop when I'm driving. That said . . .

I'd like to think I'm a man's man, but the truth is, I like a LOT of really girly songs.

A recent example would be the Adele songs. I think her popularity is completely justified. She's got a great voice and her songs have their own unique style. They're overplayed, but I'm still not sick of them. Decidedly girly, though.

Katy Perry is another one. I love her voice too, but in a completely different way from Adele. Plus, she's super hot, so that probably biases me a bit. Her songs tend to be fairly trashy/shallow, but they appeal to my horny male mind, particularly when I picture her singing them. Also, they're catchy. She's prolific--if nothing else, you have to credit the sheer volume of her singles that make it on to radio (off the top of my head: Teenage Dream, Hot and Cold, ET, Kissed a Girl, California Girls, Waking up in Vegas, Firework, One that Away). She's more or less girly.

How about Avril Lavigne? Again, you know an AL song when you hear it. She's got that patented pouty, punkish, perpetually pre-pubescent property to all of her songs. Whenever I hear "Complicated" it takes me back many years, but her more recent singles show she hasn't changed much. And she's indisputably girly.

Then of course there is Enya. I love her music and went through a huge binge on her stuff a couple years ago but it all starts to sound the same after a while. It's a nice change of pace from pop, however. She's sort of an anti-Katy Perry. Some of my favorites are Only Time, Anywhere Is, Only If, and One by One. And they're girly.

I would give a shout-out to Lady Gaga here, but I'm not sure she makes the cut. Tell me if I'm just be deluding herself, but her music isn't that girly.

Okay, enough for artists in general. How about some singles?

I love this song. It's very cute. And very girly. Regina Spektor, Fidelity:

-Don't Let Me Get Me (Pink)
-Unwritten (Natasha Bedingfield)
-Torn (Natalie Imbruglia)

-Hey There Delilah (Plain White Ts): Proof that you don't need to be a girl to make a girly song.
-Irreplaceable + Put a Ring on it (Beyonce)
-Another Night (The Real McCoy)

-Hope You Dance (Lee Ann Womack): Amazing song. But yes, girly.
-A Thousand Miles (Vanessa Carlton)
-Barbie Girl (Aqua)
-Take My Breath Away (Berlin)
-Love Story (Taylor Swift)

And, perhaps the girliest of them all . . .

Woo, that's enough for now. Excuse me while I eat a steak and view some degrading X-Rated movies.

But feel free to comment and add your own.

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature!
Last Edited by Bill; 04-24-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Battousai the Man Slayer
View Posts: 11,919
Re: Mostly for Guys: Girly Songs you Like

What would be classified as girly songs? Because in all honesty, I would not classify songs as girly just because they are recorded by a female artist.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Big Damn Hero
Send a message via Skype™ to Galedeep
View Posts: 13,247

...yeah I don't really understand what "girly" is supposed to imply. Aside from almost all of your examples being, well, girls, I don't know what aspect of the music they are recording implies "girliness."

I mean, I guess maybe Tegan and Sara would be a good example, because they are girls who write a lot of songs which, from their personal perspectives, would be written to girls, but even then I wouldn't really classify them as being "girly."
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Am I the only person ____?
View Posts: 10,010

Geeze guys, this isn't exactly science. Obviously there's plenty of room for subjectivity and personal opinion here. I'm not going to stone you if you post a song that I disagree with it. There aren't right or wrong answers.

It's not like I thought long and hard about the songs I picked. At a casual glance, did the song seem like something that, as a guy, I'd be semi-hesitant to admit I liked? Then I probably listed it.

Here's an example of a song that I'd consider girly that I don't particularly like:

Lady Gaga is a girl, but I don't consider her songs girly at all. For the most part, same with Pink. Conversely, "Hey There Delilah," to me a girly song even though the artist is not a girl. I feel the same way about this song by Jason Mraz (plus, I think it is a boring and ridiculous song with terrible lyrics--which is completely separate from my considering it girly)

The point of this is definitely not to think too hard about it or take it too seriously.

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature!
Last Edited by Bill; 04-21-2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Big Damn Hero
Send a message via Skype™ to Galedeep
View Posts: 13,247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
It's not like I thought long and hard about the songs I picked. At a casual glance, did the song seem like something that, as a guy, I'd be semi-hesitant to admit I liked? Then I probably listed it.
As a guy, I am not hesitant to admit I like any of the songs or music I listen to. I think Avril Lavigne's "Hot" is an awesome pop tune with a monster hook. I think Hanson, as a band, are one of the most solid pop acts in the past twenty years. I think Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway is a well-produced pop record. I think Regina Spektor is a genius.

I understand the concept of a guilty pleasure, and I can understand why an act like Katy Perry might be something a guy wouldn't want to extol as one of his favourite artists, but I got over most of those kind of hang-ups awhile ago, so most of the "guilty pleasure" type threads made here don't hold that much interest for me.

What intrigues me about this thread is looking at music from a gendered perspective, particularly what makes one type of music "girly" or "manly." Is metal "manly" because it is heavy and harsh? Is hip-hop manly because of the emphasis on boasting and material success? Is R&B girly because it emphasizes dancing and makin' love?

I don't mean to hijack your thread or anything, but I find it infinitely more interesting to get to the bottom of a statement like this:
Quote:
Lady Gaga is a girl, but I don't consider her songs girly at all. For the most part, same with Pink.
Than to just post a bunch of youtube embeds of songs that might qualify as guilty pleasures based purely on what is going on between my legs.

I know this goes in the exact opposite direction of not thinking too hard about it, so I'll just shut up now .
1 person liked this post: Conde
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-22-2012, 12:09 AM
View Posts: 6,529

BEHOLD THE SONG, WITH THE BEST LYRICS I HAVE EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE!

0:50 Onwards
Last Edited by Sikora; 04-22-2012 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Bill
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-22-2012, 09:34 AM
View Posts: 1,422

I'm also not exactly sure which songs are more girly than others, but I guess Tori Amos represents the most "feminine" side of my musical taste, whatever that means.

#8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-22-2012, 10:41 AM
In Nicki we trust.
View Posts: 6,781

My music listening is dominated by female artists. Ever since I was a child, I've always leaned towards pop and female singers. I think the reason for this is that I felt the need to differentiate my taste from my brother's and sister's; I liked the fact only I liked Spice Girls, Christina Aguilera and Las Ketchup in my house, made me feel quite unique, I think.

I haven't really meditated about this, but I think it's easier for me to identify with a female singer, or girly stuff, in general. I was fascinated by an article I read on Pitchfork by Mark Richardson called "You Masculine You". It deals on the subject of the relationship between gender and our music identifications from the perspective of a male. One instinctually finds the gender of the music we listen, and the gender of a song has a lot to do with the intensity at which we identify with it. Personally, I don't think of myself as feminine or masculine, per se, but I've always liked [gender] trasgression and emotivity, I think that's what has made me lean on girly music.

This video portrays a lot of my ideas on the subject of gender and music:

Grimes is a very interesting girl. She says her music does not have a gender, but much of the talk around her songs is about the feminity of her style. This video represents such trasgression of being a female electronic producer and the conflict a male may feel when listening to her stuff (she just wants to make you dance).

Why is the idea of a straight male listening to Kelly Clarkson alone in his room so perfectly fascinating, anyway?
Last Edited by Conde; 04-22-2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Akiba White
Send a message via Skype™ to Durgey
View Posts: 244

I can't say I'm much a fan of female singers, let-alone girly ones. The few I actually like are generally metal singers and so don't really fit into the image. When messing around on youtube, I come across the painfully sweet Kyary Pamyu Pamyu. Whilst Kyary Pamyu Pamyu is generally just a seriously wtf singer; the ascetic and general lyrical style is girly to the point that it hurts.
SO WHY CAN'T I STOP WATCHING!?

#10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-22-2012, 12:06 PM
destroy space lincoln
Send a message via AIM to forte Send a message via Skype™ to forte
View Posts: 14,415

♥♥♥♥ yeah lol

i noticed that this song's hook is like identical to the hook on that popular miley cyrus song. disney has no originality with their pop stars apparently.

1 person liked this post: Michael
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,030

#12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-22-2012, 12:15 PM
==> Everything is Awesome
Send a message via AIM to Karkat
View Posts: 3,856