Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1701 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 02:00 PM
SCIENTIST Jwal SCIENTIST Jwal is a female United States SCIENTIST Jwal is offline
Ask me about my mushrooms!
Send a message via Skype™ to SCIENTIST Jwal

View Posts: 4,956
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic V

Only in real life, not so much for cartoon ones.

[My Zelda Wiki Page]
Jwal's Shop:FB|dA|Etsy
FC: 1332-7760-5087
  #1702 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 PM
It feels like we only go backwards darlin'~
Send a message via AIM to George
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/jacskel689/
View Posts: 2,746

Muffins, a my little pony fanfic - FanFiction.Net

^Link to Muffins. I haven't read it yet, but it's supposed be a parody of Cupcakes.
  #1703 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Daring Do
View Posts: 605

one thing I wonder: Why to ponies in a world where humans arent present refer to certain articles as human items like saddles (meant to support a human rider but made into a decorative accessory in Equestria) and horseshoes (Meant to allow a horse to work loger by bracing the hoof).... its always just sortof confused me.
  #1704 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Custom User Title
Steam ID: Khao84 Wii U ID: KhaoMortadios 3DS ID: 1075-0789-4675
View Posts: 11,469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daring Do View Post
one thing I wonder: Why to ponies in a world where humans arent present refer to certain articles as human items like saddles (meant to support a human rider but made into a decorative accessory in Equestria) and horseshoes (Meant to allow a horse to work loger by bracing the hoof).... its always just sortof confused me.
Also, if you pay close attention, the concept of riding ponies just like regular horses in real life is definitely present, like when Spike desperately wants to imagine himself as an epic knight and pretty much begs Twilight to let him ride her, and in general, ponies seem to get offended when treated like regular horses, hasn't happened much, but it has happened anyway.

This can only mean one thing.

Equestria was once a world exactly like ours, but a giant meteor fell on earth right above all of the ponies in the planet wich were all together in a giant "EVERY PONY IN THE WORLD JUST 'CAUSE" convention, the meteor was charged with magic and the ponies became super intelligent because of it and eventually they evolved into different species with wings and horns and lots of colors and killed every human in the world 'cause they were tired to be treated as slaves, but human culture remains in their memories and history, so they still remember the stuff they were forced to do, and they obviously don't like the idea, so they modified to be something a bit more pleasant, like fashion.

EDIT: Or maybe it's just a cartoon.
Last Edited by Khaoabunga; 05-24-2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason:
  #1705 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-24-2012, 06:19 AM
The Best background pony!
Send a message via Skype™ to Bon Bon
View Posts: 1,250

^ That'd make an amazing fanfic.
  #1706 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Custom User Title
Steam ID: Khao84 Wii U ID: KhaoMortadios 3DS ID: 1075-0789-4675
View Posts: 11,469

I'm not gonna write that
  #1707 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-24-2012, 03:17 PM
The Man Who Masterminds the Game
3DS ID: 5386-7629-1425
View Posts: 2,597

3 people liked this post: Gaba, Gummy, Khaoabunga
  #1708 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-24-2012, 05:06 PM
BloodRawKnuckle BloodRawKnuckle is a male United States BloodRawKnuckle is offline
I am the Video Game Engine of War!!
View Posts: 1,375

I don't oft read fanfiction, much less crossover ones, but I read one a few weeks back that seemed okay and involved, no surprise, MLP and Sonic. It's in progress and is written in a simple enough manner, but there being an actual plot that's easy to visualize and characterization that's true (enough) to the roots of both franchises, I guess you could say I find it a worthwhile effort.

Now to remember the damn name of it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Down View Post
Forget Malon, Marin, Ruto, Zelda, Medli, Nooberu, Midna, Ilia and Aryl -
I present to you the only woman who captured Link's heart and loins:

#1709 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Wii U ID: Blizzaga

View Posts: 35,524

I don't have any plans for changing my name.

???

2 people liked this post: Gummy, Soeroah
  #1710 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 3,015

#1711 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-24-2012, 11:29 PM
BloodRawKnuckle BloodRawKnuckle is a male United States BloodRawKnuckle is offline
I am the Video Game Engine of War!!
View Posts: 1,375

The fact that I think I get that Sean Schemmel part despite having still not seen an episode proves alot of things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Down View Post
Forget Malon, Marin, Ruto, Zelda, Medli, Nooberu, Midna, Ilia and Aryl -
I present to you the only woman who captured Link's heart and loins:

#1712 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Tsjeriću, baibai
Send a message via Skype™ to Gaba
Steam ID: bluefireman33
View Posts: 6,197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecora View Post
I don't have any plans for changing my name.
How lovely. Cheers bro.

================

EDIT: Oh God. Watch the whole thing.

I love this man. Even though he has communist ideals.
Time to convert to communism, everypony.
Last Edited by Gaba; 05-25-2012 at 02:17 AM. Reason:
3 people liked this post: DeiStar, Gummy, Zottie
  #1713 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-25-2012, 06:51 AM
Welcome to my Kingdom!
3DS ID: 1607-2455-6525
View Posts: 1,431

While he makes a valid point about some issues in current society (with a huge hint of bias, since in the instance he mentions North Korea he pretty much says the worst part about it was being threatened by foreign power because of how they "chose to live", yeah right), I highly doubt this whole MLP thing is just an escapism from people that feel society has shunned them. The answer is much more simple than that: it is a really good freaking show.

I don't know why that is so hard to grasp for some people who try to do some kind of overly deep analysis out of it (there are other shows about friendship and all, only reason this one gets this treatment is because it is associated to the MLP brand, remove that from people's mind and the fuss about it would be much smaller), looks like they are desperate to justify it for some reason to me when there's really no need for it.

Last Edited by Zero III; 05-25-2012 at 06:53 AM. Reason:
2 people liked this post: Electricut, Khaoabunga
  #1714 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Tsjeriću, baibai

Don't you think it is possible that some do use it to escape? Think about all the fan fiction, fan art, and fan music. Heck, we've got several pony fanfic writers right here in our midst.

I do use it to get away. Because, let's face, life can be rough.

Also take into account that many people love Mario. But not all Mario fans use it as an escape from real life. Not every pony fan is that way either. You may not use it as an escape, but I'm sure many of us do. And there's really nothing wrong with that.

Being a fan of the show can also have some deeper effects. It brings people together. It makes friends and establishes relationships. We're always looking out for one another. We're always checking out each other's music, fanfics, and other pony artwork.

I really like a lot of the concepts that he's throwing down. I especially liked the part about how masculinity and femininity aren't really even real things. They are just stuff made up by society. And that's very true for the most part.
  #1715 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-25-2012, 08:33 AM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 3,015

I wrote a whole post and it got eaten up by and expired token, so you'll have to make do with the abridged verison.

Bronies no different from rest of population; stands to reason bronies can be as different from each other as anyone else. In any large group the chances are high that any "could some people' type question has a 'yes' answer. Some use it as escapism, some watch because good show, target audience, parents blah blah.

Agree with how society makes things up, see a previous post about sliders and stuff.

Goodnight now!
1 person liked this post: Khaoabunga
  #1716 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Royal Hylian

View Posts: 946

I'd like to say watching ponies got me through some tough times or helped me feel better about my life but honestly it hasn't. That's not to say there hasn't been any impact created by it but I watch the show because I enjoy it.

When I started watching FiM my life wasn't amazing by any stretch of the word but when it started getting better ponies was not the reason, or at least not the direct reason. The people I've met in part do to ponies are the lasting impression.

Knowing after a particularly bad day that I could go on ZU, Google+ or Skype and talk to the people I had gotten to be friends with is what made the day better among other things. Even then it isn't my sole reason to go on or some such hyperbole. But being able to talk to Big Mac, Sam, Luna, or anyone in the thread or forum group or at a hangout is what I'll remember and is the reason at the end of the summer when my best friends IRL want to get tattoos that I can get Derpy looking over the ZU shield permanently etched into my skin.

tl;dr ponies are fun, people are better, tattoos...

Also and off-topic, masculinity and femininity being concepts created by society while true, really isn't saying much. Most things we know are concepts we created that don't really exist in their own right but without classifications, labels, and boundaries we wouldn't be able to function. It's the reason if you think "Does the universe end?" that you get a headache, humans need to compartmentalize things or we'd all go insane.
1 person liked this post: Electricut
  #1717 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Fighter of the Nightman.
View Posts: 8,860

I cant be the only one who thought that was a weird thing for her to say.
  #1718 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Burning hooves means Littlepip is watching...
Send a message via AIM to Puck
View Posts: 15,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starswirl View Post
Why does this not say a Scootaloo episode! Everypony else has gotten their own episode except for the best pony. Scootaloo episode is all I want in season three... just that, and I'll be happy.
  #1719 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-25-2012, 04:43 PM
The Man Who Masterminds the Game
3DS ID: 5386-7629-1425
View Posts: 2,597

Scootaloo is like the Waluigi of MLP.
Ignored.
3 people liked this post: Electricut, Florina Laufeyson, George
  #1720 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Tsjeriću, baibai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarity View Post
I'd like to say watching ponies got me through some tough times or helped me feel better about my life but honestly it hasn't. That's not to say there hasn't been any impact created by it but I watch the show because I enjoy it.

When I started watching FiM my life wasn't amazing by any stretch of the word but when it started getting better ponies was not the reason, or at least not the direct reason. The people I've met in part do to ponies are the lasting impression.

Knowing after a particularly bad day that I could go on ZU, Google+ or Skype and talk to the people I had gotten to be friends with is what made the day better among other things. Even then it isn't my sole reason to go on or some such hyperbole. But being able to talk to Big Mac, Sam, Luna, or anyone in the thread or forum group or at a hangout is what I'll remember and is the reason at the end of the summer when my best friends IRL want to get tattoos that I can get Derpy looking over the ZU shield permanently etched into my skin.

tl;dr ponies are fun, people are better, tattoos...

Also and off-topic, masculinity and femininity being concepts created by society while true, really isn't saying much. Most things we know are concepts we created that don't really exist in their own right but without classifications, labels, and boundaries we wouldn't be able to function. It's the reason if you think "Does the universe end?" that you get a headache, humans need to compartmentalize things or we'd all go insane.
Of course. If we're not the model male or female, we can't possibly function.

The universe may end, it may not. It really doesn't matter to me. The universe doesn't need a boundary, a classification, or a label. We don't need to be told every time a black man walks by, "hey! It's a black guy!"

Really? Genius. Couldn't tell.

The only labels I forsee as being necessary is on sexuality and religion. You have those two, you don't need anything else. Possibly if they have an illness of some kind. And keep in mind these are social labels here. Not like "doctor", "firemen", etc.

Now, back to my point. Why should it matter if one is masculine or feminine? Why should those labels exist? I mean should it matter how a person with a vagina or a penis acts as long as they are enjoying life and following their morals? Do we really care that much about labels that we would prefer being popular over our own happiness? Should we fear being seen as gay or lesbians because of society-driven labels? After all, to society "effeminate males" are gay and "tomboys" that haven't grown out of it are lesbians.

This society is pretty screwed up, no doubt. Now I'm not suggesting that we should convert to communism because of this video. Nor am I suggesting that we completely disregard everything he has to say just because we don't like his ideals. There is a middle ground. Heck, every way of thinking has its interesting points. Things you wouldn't expect to find on the surface.

Communism in its most extreme form is some nasty stuff. Talk about restricting rights. Heck you can't even turn right. All the roads go left because they don't have any rights.

Yes. That was joke.

But yeah. Extreme communism is no good.

However, communism in its most simple form is not a bad thing. Yes, I'm sure it's been overplayed in many ways at times. I've looked into it and the original intent was to end war and bring people together. That's not a bad thing now is it? However, once the dictators got a hold of it, it was all over and basically ended up doing the opposite.

So let's think about what he's saying. I know I learned something new out of this. Something I (and 95% of America [THANK YOU EVIL DICTATORS]) thought was evil to the core, really isn't in its most basic form.

Finally, people aren't simply feminine or masculine. There is a ton of grey area there. You may be a chick and love video games, all the super hero movies, and drinking. But you may also like feeling pretty, going shopping, and doing your hair. So in a sense, I think he was trying to say that because of this, these things simply don't exist.

THAT WAS SO AWESOME WE SHOULD START A SERIOUS DISCUSSION THREAD IN THE PONY GROUP GAIZ.

Which is where this should go to be honest.

Tags
best pony? that'd be khao, derpy is the best mare, nayru is best pony, rainbow french shower, trixie is best pony, twilight is best pony