#101 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Custom User Title
Steam ID: Khao84 Wii U ID: KhaoMortadios 3DS ID: 1075-0789-4675
View Posts: 11,609
Re: Your controversial anime opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomecake View Post
About Gurren Laggan. I hated the second part of the series. It should have ended right after Genome died, and even with him, I feel he was out of place. As for why I hated the second part, I feel that there was a huge jump in the technology that was available to them, and the characters were forced wedged into a situation that had very little to do with the original plot of the show. I understand that its a mecha anime, and they had technology, but I just don't see how they can go from living in isolated holes to having a fully functional society that can travel through space within a matter of 7 years or so. It just doesn't fit. The beginning was very well done, and it had clear progression and with exploration and a clear enemy. In the second part, the enemies weren't actual characters. They were basically enemies for the sake of enemies, without ever putting a face on who they were fighting. It was just generally the anti-spirals, where the first part had clear enemies in Viral, the 4 generals, and lord genome. It could have been one of the greatest anime ever were it not for the negligible 2nd arc.
But without the second arc, we wouldn't have galaxies thrown around by gigantinormous robots like it was a universe-sized pillow fight.
  #102 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Therein, they're in there in their inn.
Steam ID: cereal_bawks Wii U ID: Cereal_Bawks 3DS ID: 0989-1785-1204

View Posts: 8,423

I still wish Kamina came back during the part when they went to space
  #103 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Jiro
View Posts: 11,916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grooston View Post
Well I could just as easily say western animation can be more detailed as well. There are plenty of animes that are only chibi or not in your words "detailed" designs. Most anime aren't actually, just the ones brought America are as that's what sells over here. I actually lived in Japan for about a year and it's a much different society over there, especially in what is liked in anime and other things. Weaboos here just think they know Japanese culture because of stereotypes and whats brought over here.
That is true. I was never denying it.
  #104 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2012, 11:06 PM
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 22,132

Quote:
About Gurren Laggan. I hated the second part of the series. It should have ended right after Genome died, and even with him, I feel he was out of place. As for why I hated the second part, I feel that there was a huge jump in the technology that was available to them, and the characters were forced wedged into a situation that had very little to do with the original plot of the show. I understand that its a mecha anime, and they had technology, but I just don't see how they can go from living in isolated holes to having a fully functional society that can travel through space within a matter of 7 years or so. It just doesn't fit. The beginning was very well done, and it had clear progression and with exploration and a clear enemy. In the second part, the enemies weren't actual characters. They were basically enemies for the sake of enemies, without ever putting a face on who they were fighting. It was just generally the anti-spirals, where the first part had clear enemies in Viral, the 4 generals, and lord genome. It could have been one of the greatest anime ever were it not for the negligible 2nd arc.
Seriously? The first half of Laggan was iffy, at best, and I feel it only found its footing in the second half. The first part was utterly generic shonen mecha stuff, often poorly animated and with sophomoric "humor". The second had an actual plot, developed the characters, and had much better animation.

The technology jump was a bit silly, yeah, though it's not as if high-tech stuff wasn't all over the place before, it's just that humans that used it drew unwanted attention to themselves.

As for the rest of your post, you seem to have missed the entire point of the second half. It's very much about people growing and fitting into new, different, situations. About one generation replacing another, and about standing up to a faceless, uncaring, universe and telling it that you will never back down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Bawks View Post
I still wish Kamina came back during the part when they went to space
No, that would've made Simon's entire speech (you know the one. ) pointless, would've undone quite a bit of the character development and would've lessened the impact of all future deaths.

Kamina was a fun character, but the show only really started working when he died. He was, both in and out of the show, a prop that others (be they the Gurren Brigade or the writers of the show) relied on at the cost of their actual abilities.

Public Key ID: 057420A1
1 person liked this post: Khaoabunga
  #105 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Live together, die alone
Send a message via Skype™ to Momo
Wii U ID: MomoShepard 3DS ID: MomoShepard/4897-7258-9301

View Posts: 6,609

Both endings of Evangelion are the same, albeit told differently, and are perfection.
  #106 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Eh Steve!
View Posts: 303

Standing up and facing the uncaring universe is great. Don't get me wrong. It just has to be done in the context established in the very beginning of the show, and in the very beginning we were given shown that humanity is living in holes and ruled by beastmen that ride mechas. It didn't say anything about a greater force above that, or even hint at it. Including that in is just an excuse to continue the series.

I will however agree that the series really matured when Kamina died, giving Simon more of his own character, separate from Kamina

#107 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Standing up and facing the uncaring universe is great. Don't get me wrong. It just has to be done in the context established in the very beginning of the show, and in the very beginning we were given shown that humanity is living in holes and ruled by beastmen that ride mechas. It didn't say anything about a greater force above that, or even hint at it. Including that in is just an excuse to continue the series.

I will however agree that the series really matured when Kamina died, giving Simon more of his own character, separate from Kamina
I'd agree...if the second set of villains had appeared without any buildup towards the end of the show.

But they didn't, they showed up half-way through and the previous villain mentioned their existence. It's pretty clear that they were meant to be the ultimate villains from day one, otherwise the pacing of the early episodes would've been even more atrocious.

#108 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Eh Steve!
View Posts: 303

The previous villain did mention their existence, but this was at the very end of the first arc and had not been hinted to at all before then. This was already far too late for them to be introducing a new villain. The clear villains from day 1 were the beastmen. No character in the show had any idea that there was to be some greater villain beyond the beastmen.

#109 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-07-2012, 04:23 AM
Therein, they're in there in their inn.
Steam ID: cereal_bawks Wii U ID: Cereal_Bawks 3DS ID: 0989-1785-1204

View Posts: 8,423

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Seriously? The first half of Laggan was iffy, at best, and I feel it only found its footing in the second half. The first part was utterly generic shonen mecha stuff, often poorly animated and with sophomoric "humor". The second had an actual plot, developed the characters, and had much better animation.
Gotta disagree here. The first half had a plot: to end the constant beastmen...I guess you could say, interruptions. The characters were very much developed. I don't see that much difference in the development in the first half of the series and the second half. IMO, Simon had more development in the first half than the second half. But I admit the second half has a little bit more development, considering the seven year gap. Also, Kamina had plenty of development, despite the fact that he appeared in only 8 episodes. He affected all of the characters in Gurren Lagann. And I thought the humor was pretty funny...

Also, of course the animation would get better. As time goes by, things improve (usually...).

IMO, I thought the setting in the first half better (everything is deserted). It just had a better feel to it, to me.
Last Edited by Kuya; 03-07-2012 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #110 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Kakariko Villager Kakariko Villager is a male Ireland Kakariko Villager is offline
Steam ID: Sambotr0n
View Posts: 435

Quote:
Personally, I don't really like manga. Especially the ones that are based on fighting. It's much better to actually watch people fight rather than looking at pictures of people fighting.
I think that a fight scene is where a mangaka can truly show how great an artist they are. To me the fight sequences in the Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto and Bleach manga are all better than the anime because you can take your time reading and enjoying the great artwork whereas in the anime it's like "I'm gonna fight you AHHHHHH!" for about ten minutes and then a fight sequence that's hard to follow and not worth watching again. IMHO
  #111 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Douchebag Supreme
View Posts: 1,089

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHungryHippo View Post
That is true. I was never denying it.
Yes you did...
  #112 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Jiro
View Posts: 11,916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grooston View Post
Yes you did...
If you say so.
  #113 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Hylian
View Posts: 626

Not really an anime opinion, but YGO Abridged isn't funny.
  #114 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2012, 06:31 AM
Battle routine, set! Execute!
View Posts: 4,658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light_Breeze View Post
Swift, not only was that not an anime opinion, but that was not even the least bit controversial.
I've said it once and I'll say it again: 4kids is all right.
I think Yu Gi Oh abridged is funny. And so do many other people I know.

Controversial enough.
  #115 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2012, 07:13 AM
Super High School Level Video Game Message Board Poster
Send a message via AIM to Hoopy Frood
Steam ID: powerageshadow
View Posts: 6,862

I wouldn't say the first half of Lagann was bad, but everything up until Kamina died was kinda meh. The first episode was good, but there's a lot of missteps otherwise. Kamina is really the only saving grace of the first quarter of the series. Once they start fighting Genome's lieutenants I think the series picks up well enough.

Second half is definitely better, though.

Let's Play/Game Commentary |Twitter | Gaming Blog

Voted #1 Biggest Video Game Nerd Summer 2014
  #116 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-22-2012, 09:48 PM

First quarter of Lagann is bad, save for the first episode.

Second quarter is better, but it's the last half where I really started actually enjoying it.

#117 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-23-2012, 05:37 AM
Battle routine, set! Execute!
View Posts: 4,658

Quote:
Can you name one person that watches that show that doesn't think it is funny? (I've never watched it.)
If you can't name someone who holds an opposing view to yours, then your view isn't controversial.
You're just being semantic. There are a lot of people who do not think it is funny, and a lot of people who do.

Same goes with many of the opinions here in this thread. It works here, hence, controversial enough.

And yes, I can name many people who oppose my view. From people online, to people I know in person I get both sides. But this should be obvious: why would I call it controversial if I didn't know there were multiple sides?
  #118 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-23-2012, 06:55 AM
Hylian
View Posts: 626

Quote:
Swift, not only was that not an anime opinion, but that was not even the least bit controversial.
I've said it once and I'll say it again: 4kids is all right.
It kind of is, too many fanboys worship LK.

Yeah, I like 4Kids.