Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Previously lord-of-shadow
Send a message via AIM to Max Nichols
View Posts: 8,088
ZU music stats.

I found a very cool site, a few days back. Basically, you download a plugin for whatever program you use to listen to your music (winamp, windows media player, iTunes, and several more), and then this plugin sends information on the music you're listening to to the site.

You then have a profile, which compiles all the tracks you listen to, the tracks and artists you listen to the most, etc., etc.

Finally, it has a nifty little feature, which shows you anyone who has similar music taste to yours. So let's say you look at this list, and anyone who has a certain percentage of the same music on their list will get on your neighbors list. Quite cool, and I've already found several great new pieces of music by looking at other's lists.

Aaaanyways... Here is the site: http://www.audioscrobbler.com/
And here's my list: http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/lord-of-shadow/

Finally, there's one more thing to mention, something that is the real point of this thread. They have groups set up, where it will make a big list of the most played songs and artists of everyone in that group. I've already made a ZU group: http://www.audioscrobbler.com/group/Zelda%2BUnverse

So. Everyone should sign up, download the plugin, join the Zu group... and then listen to their music as they normally would Within a few days, we'll start to see trends and the like among all our ZU posters. I've already set something like this up at another forum, and it's going very well.

Right now, this thread is in the general chat section, to bring it to people's attention and jumpstart the process, but I'll be moving it to the entertainment section after a few days.

Assuming, of course, that the response is favorable. If you all feel like crushing my hopes and dreams by ignoring this, then I'll have no choice but to unsticky this entirely, and wait for it to descend into the depths of... old-threaddom.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing... I threw together a little pic for the Zu group, but if someone can do something better (Zelda themed), I'll stick it up there.

EDIT: Another thing: if we have any music artists/musicians/remixers here in our community (I know of a few), speak up, give us a link to some of your music, and I'll add you to the Artists of the group.

EDIT: It seems we already had a group. Everyone who joined mine... use this one: http://www.audioscrobbler.com/group/...BZeldaUniverse
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2004, 02:56 PM
And the people bowed and prayed, To the neon god they made
Send a message via AIM to sadida

View Posts: 5,529
Re: ZU music stats.

Good idea LOS! I mean, we can find out what kind of ecclectic tastes everyone here at ZU has.

I'm at work right now, or I'd sign up for it right away. I'm just concerned if the plug-in has any sort of spyware along with it. My computer has been acting slow lately, and if it does slow my computer any more than it already is going, I'd have to stop it.

Anyway, looks promising. ^_^
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2004, 02:59 PM

There's no spyware as far as I can tell, and my versions of Ad-aware and Spybot don't have any problems with it. Obviously I can't say for sure... but then again, they have a huge community and hundreds of members there, and I doubt they would, if they were distributing spyware.

Anyways, glad I'm not the only one who likes this idea
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Rem
View Posts: n/a

Heh.. I joined, its a good idea...Thanks LOS
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2004, 03:11 PM
You know you love it.
Send a message via AIM to Yami

View Posts: 6,884

Ok, registered:
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/Yami/

And yeah, I joined the group.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2004, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearanoX
I've already got myself an account (as do a few other people at ZU): http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/sear/

And, we also have a user group set up for ZU and TAU people. So, a little late on the uptake there, l-o-s.
What? Noooo....!

This is... embarassing

ok. We'll use that one then. I'll disband the little group I just started, and everyone should join that one.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Light Spirit
Send a message via Skype™ to Jason
Steam ID: GoldenChaos Wii U ID: GoldenChaos 3DS ID: GoldenChaos

View Posts: 9,807

Heh, yeah. You are pretty late on this little website, l-o-s. I enver joined because the site was always too slow for me :/. ANd it never interested me much.

It was mostly just random people on the chat who listened to tons of Metal, llike Sear, ked, and Luckz, who had the accounts on AudioScrobbler. Of course, the most listened to tracks on the ZU listing are Metal.... and the least listened to are thisngs like Rap, and Nu Metal (Linkin Park).

I guess it's time to add some VG Music to the most played list . I already saw BALTO as one of the top ones on yours l-o-s. Nice ^_^. *will add to the BALTO count soon*

Everyone shall listen to BALTO now and make it the most played song evar. Listen to it in your sleep if you must! o-o.

I will now run off and sign up.

EDIT: http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/GoldenChaos/

I guarantee it ends up being mostly VG and dotHack music, along with some other things I have...
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2004, 03:38 PM
Mister Idle
Send a message via ICQ to Lars Send a message via AIM to Lars Send a message via Skype™ to Lars
View Posts: 1,912

Alright, I joined up as well. Pretty cool, good find los!

Oh, and my username is "lars-christian", so now you finally know that, too.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Phaptastical.
View Posts: 2,756

Meh I joined but when I restart winAMP, it just goes straight to winAMP. Instead of setting up my login information so it knows where to send it... >_>

Meh go it to work... I think

PhatGirl
Last Edited by Phat; 11-23-2004 at 04:53 PM. Reason:
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2004, 03:57 PM

I had the same problem, at first.

There's a point when it's installing the plugin that it asks if you want to use the Media Library version or the normal version... I chose the Media library version, but it turnsout my winAMP didn't have media library... so I went through and did the other version, and it worked fine.

Quote:
It was mostly just random people on the chat who listened to tons of Metal, llike Sear, ked, and Luckz, who had the accounts on AudioScrobbler. Of course, the most listened to tracks on the ZU listing are Metal.... and the least listened to are thisngs like Rap, and Nu Metal (Linkin Park).
Yes, it's quite disgraceful. We shall have to get some other stuff up there, and offset all of their preexisting music

And don't forget to join the group, GC.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2004, 04:07 PM
Light Spirit
Send a message via Skype™ to Jason
Steam ID: GoldenChaos Wii U ID: GoldenChaos 3DS ID: GoldenChaos

View Posts: 9,807

Thank you for that reminder l-o-s.... joined. Time to offset Metal with dotHack and video game music ^_^.

As of now, it is quite annoying that I don't see what I am playing get listed on their, andthe now playing is inaccurate. The "songs to update" confuses me. I have to play five songs for it to update once?

I got everything working with Winamp fine, and I also got it for iTunes, because I do occationally use that. But, I have found no problems. Everyone who has Winamp 2 and up should have the Media Library... I mean, it is where all your music is stored. I don't think I've seen a winamp without a music library yet.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2004, 04:11 PM
You know you love it.
Send a message via AIM to Yami

View Posts: 6,884

Winamp 2 never had a Media Libary. Only a Playlist Editor (as with all Winamp's to date), meaning you would have to use the other plug-in if you use winamp 2.x
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2004, 05:14 PM
~DEATH TO AMERICA~
Send a message via AIM to Captain Cornflake Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Cornflake
View Posts: 4,849

Yeah, I just joined, just to see how it is.
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/capncornflake/
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2004, 05:16 PM
I have no idea.
View Posts: 4,183

Spiffy idea. It'll be cool to see what it is exactly that everyone lsitens to.

I joined. http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/-Tsu/

Joined the group, too.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2004, 05:24 PM
?!מה פיתום
View Posts: 3,196

Seems like a cool thing.

I happen to use default windows CD player when listening through my computer at all. So no audioscrobbler for me .
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2004, 05:35 PM
seriously unban me from the chatroom you gits
Send a message via AIM to Kedsy
View Posts: 769

http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/kedsy/

My little account. O_0 I'm already in the group.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2004, 06:01 PM
"Oh, it's the fairy boy again!"
View Posts: 1,254

Meh, I'll join

http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/Heybunny/

Although I don't really know much about it yet!
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2004, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenChaos
As of now, it is quite annoying that I don't see what I am playing get listed on their, andthe now playing is inaccurate. The "songs to update" confuses me. I have to play five songs for it to update once?
I've only been sighed up for two days, now, and I'm still not sure how the update system works. Rest assured though... it does work
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2004, 07:29 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 3,494

I signed up http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/Eijiro/ and I shall be joining the group, too.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2004, 08:12 PM
saSS Link
View Posts: 12,079

Wow, only and only metal on those lists. I like some metal too, but the Rap/Hip-hop fans seem to not have signed up... hmm

I don't have anything against people who listen to metal rock, but I mean there's nothing but that on the list. I like Rammstein and other metal/rock bands, I'm just surprised to see people don't have a wider taste. I myself usually listen to some Tupac and then I switch to Green Day, and so on. I'm probably the only guy with a wider taste.

Well whatever, I'm gonna join. I feel forced to do so
Last Edited by ich Will; 11-23-2004 at 08:22 PM. Reason:
Closed Thread

Tags
music, stats