Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1341 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 6,299
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book 4 is here!

Well seeing as how only an Avatar can only bend lava its really a moot point.
  #1342 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 PM
BigGoronSword BigGoronSword is a male Dominican Republic BigGoronSword is offline
RIP Robin Williams (8/11/14)
Send a message via AIM to BigGoronSword Send a message via Yahoo to BigGoronSword

View Posts: 11,257

Part of me now wishes the episode "The Fortuneteller" happened later on in the show. Aang was able to push back the magma with airbending. If only we knew how he would have done it if he knew earth and firebending.

Personally I consider magma as earth...it's just heated up earth, same as boiling water is heated up water. Sure you can heat up the water with firebending, but you still can't bend the water. Once boiling water cools down, it becomes water. Once magma cools down, it becomes earth.

Now if firebenders had the ability to control the temperature of things (heat things up as well as cool things down), then firebenders could be more useful for volcano eruptions. If memory serves correctly, Firelord Sozin went to Roku's volcanic island to help him, but I don't recall if Sozin used firebending to help keep the magma away.

-BGS

[ZeldaWiki][Forum Mods][Rules][ZUChat][Newbie Guide]
"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans"-Van Zant
Giving up means you're willing to live with how things are-BGS
  #1343 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Captain Fap
Send a message via ICQ to e_alert Send a message via AIM to e_alert Send a message via Yahoo to e_alert Send a message via Skype™ to e_alert

View Posts: 3,186

As far as I'm concerned, bending magma could be all three of fire-, earth- and waterbending. Magma is a liquid, formed by melting earth, yet with strong relation to heat and fire. I actually just checked back on "The Avatar and the Fire Lord" and I don't believe Sozin himself bent any magma. Perhaps magmabending is possible only as a combination of bending styles and thus only something the avatar can do? After all, we've only actually ever seen the avatar do it.

Interesting note though, BGS. In that episode Sozin does extract heat from a volcano and redirects it into the air (basically in the same way as lightning redirection) in order to cool over the top of the volcano, so yeah, I believe that does count as controlling the heat of things, and obviously in a manner directly applicable to volcanic eruption. Though as I mentioned above, he didn't directly manipulate the magma from what I saw.
Last Edited by e_alert; 06-12-2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #1344 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 05:13 AM
I'm sweating like a character in a basketball manga
Send a message via Skype™ to Pacem
Steam ID: soulcooker
View Posts: 1,299

I'm really liking this show, but does it annoy anyone else how boring Mako, Bolin and Asami are? Bolin seems like an unlikable and unfunny Sokka, Mako's just a boring zuko, and Asami is just flat and one-dimensional. It's unacceptable for the main characters of the show to be this bad. I'm sure they'll have time to develop but right now it ain't lookin so good.
Last Edited by Pacem; 06-12-2012 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #1345 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 05:35 AM
SO ZETTA SLOW
Steam ID: ENVY ADAMS
View Posts: 2,260

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_alert View Post
As far as I'm concerned, bending magma could be all three of fire-, earth- and waterbending. Magma is a liquid, formed by melting earth, yet with strong relation to heat and fire. I actually just checked back on "The Avatar and the Fire Lord" and I don't believe Sozin himself bent any magma. Perhaps magmabending is possible only as a combination of bending styles and thus only something the avatar can do? After all, we've only actually ever seen the avatar do it.

Interesting note though, BGS. In that episode Sozin does extract heat from a volcano and redirects it into the air (basically in the same way as lightning redirection) in order to cool over the top of the volcano, so yeah, I believe that does count as controlling the heat of things, and obviously in a manner directly applicable to volcanic eruption. Though as I mentioned above, he didn't directly manipulate the magma from what I saw.
He redirects the heat with air bending, or at least that's what I was under the impression of.

~Simon Petrikov

#1346 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 05:38 AM
Captain Fap
Send a message via ICQ to e_alert Send a message via AIM to e_alert Send a message via Yahoo to e_alert Send a message via Skype™ to e_alert

View Posts: 3,186

Except that's impossible, because Sozin isn't an airbender... At first I thought it was airbending too, I had to double check to make sure it wasn't Roku. Kinda easy to mix them up in the dark lighting if you're not fully paying attention.
Last Edited by e_alert; 06-12-2012 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #1347 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 05:39 AM
SO ZETTA SLOW
Steam ID: ENVY ADAMS
View Posts: 2,260

Quote:
Except that's impossible, because Sozin isn't an airbender... At first I thought it was airbending too, I had to double check to make sure it wasn't Roku. Kinda easy to mix them up in the dark lighting if you're not fully paying attention.
Oh! Sozin? Okay, that's weird then.

~Simon Petrikov

#1348 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Hiroshi Yamauchi. Former president of Nintendo. Rest in peace.
Send a message via Yahoo to Chad
View Posts: 9,402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacem View Post
I'm really liking this show, but does it annoy anyone else how boring Mako, Bolin and Asami are? Bolin seems like an unlikable and unfunny Sokka, Mako's just a boring zuko, and Asami is just flat and one-dimensional. It's unacceptable for the main characters of the show to be this bad. I'm sure they'll have time to develop but right now it ain't lookin so good.
I like them all just fine. Asami isn't very developed, but hopefully she will be over time. Bolin's been funny to me, and I like how Mako is torn between two people he has affections for. I'm sorry you don't like most of the new group, and with fewer episodes they may get less development, but I've been satisfied.

......................................../`````````````````````````````````````````\
.........TWW-PH-ST-(LoZ-AoL)-(OoX)-TMC-FS-FSA-ALttP-LA-(OoX)-(LoZ-AoL)
OoT<.............................................. \____________________/
.........MM-TP
1 person liked this post: darkbeastganon
  #1349 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Sage of Wisdom
Send a message via AIM to Red Dingo
View Posts: 1,302

Just going to throw something out there concerning bending capabilities: there are many roads to the same destination. Iroh learned to redirect lightning by applying water bending techniques to his fire bending. Perhaps an earth bender could bend magma to an extent by using water bending techniques while a fire bender could do so by using earth bending techniques.

Also Red, matter is energy...
  #1350 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Cayenne Pepper Cayenne Pepper is a female United States Cayenne Pepper is offline
en de'ez ia! "Murica
View Posts: 4,250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Fist View Post
Is there a place where I could read that for free? I can't find it anywhere.
youtube maybe? I read part 1 on 4chan.
or one of the chans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyaki View Post
FIREbenders creating ICE? I doubt that. Their ability to manipulate heat is different from completely freezing something over. And water can only get so cool before a Firebender can manipulate it anymore. Water can still get cold enough without freezing until the temperature hits 0, once the water gets cool enough to where there's no heat present a firebender can't deal with anymore.
Cold isn't the opposite of heat, it's the abscence of it.
Since Firebenders can control heat, to some extent, they should be able to create ice. As far as using it in an offensive context, that's a negative.

Firebenders can't bend water but they can smoke and steam by redirecting the heat in it.

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, bending magma could be all three of fire-, earth- and waterbending. Magma is a liquid
Magma is actually plasma.

Anywho, a Firebender can bend magma, but there is no reason that an Earthbender can't bend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dingo View Post
Just going to throw something out there concerning bending capabilities: there are many roads to the same destination. Iroh learned to redirect lightning by applying water bending techniques to his fire bending. Perhaps an earth bender could bend magma to an extent by using water bending techniques while a fire bender could do so by using earth bending techniques.

Also Red, matter is energy...
That was my thought exactly. Almost verbatim.

3DS FC
  #1351 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 01:44 PM
♪ Spooky, scary skeletons ♪
Send a message via Skype™ to zoraluigi
Steam ID: zoraluigi
View Posts: 1,855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenne Pepper View Post
Magma is actually plasma.
No. Magma is most definitely a liquid. Plasma is ionized gas, supercharged to the point of being visible, like lightning, or the sun. Magma is not ionized gas, but rather a super-heated solid to the point where it becomes a liquid, like molten iron (which is probably, to an extent, what some magma actually is).

As for who could bend magma, I think it requires a combination of fire- and earthbending that only the Avatar could possess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conde View Post
Simply put, the Fire Lord has shown the ability of solidifying matter with his Fire Bending abilities. (By the way, Water Benders have also shown this ability, which is kind of screwed up because it implies that they are able to manipulate heat).
Not necessarily. I see the waterbenders' ability to create ice the fact that they can control the pressure being exerted on the water. I remember reading somewhere how Katara was able to create water by condensing vapor in the air; should it not follow that that the same could be done to liquid water in order to create ice, or even done to gas so that it sublimes straight into ice? It's an interesting concept, to be sure. But no, creating ice can be done either through temperature or pressure changes, or both.
  #1352 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 02:43 PM
View Posts: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoraluigi View Post
Not necessarily. I see the waterbenders' ability to create ice the fact that they can control the pressure being exerted on the water. I remember reading somewhere how Katara was able to create water by condensing vapor in the air; should it not follow that that the same could be done to liquid water in order to create ice, or even done to gas so that it sublimes straight into ice? It's an interesting concept, to be sure. But no, creating ice can be done either through temperature or pressure changes, or both.
I always thought of Waterbenders creating ice through a similar process as ice-nine in Kurt Vonnegut's novel Cat's Cradle. It's been a while so I forget exactly how it was explained, but I believe it was something about arranging the molecules of water in such a way that it becomes solid at room temperature.

Of course, a Waterbender wouldn't actually be controlling each individual molecule, but their Bending forms and their chi would dictate the structure of the water.
  #1353 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Cap'n Harrie Cap'n Harrie is a female United Kingdom Cap'n Harrie is offline
Steam ID: harrie53 3DS ID: 2251-5422-5501/WispyPig

View Posts: 2,488

Nah, when Tarrlok bloodbent him, there was a physical reaction across his whole body.
Which means there is blood flowing through his whole body.

There's a theory floating about that the reason he overcame the bloodbending is because a more powerful spirit is in control of Amon.

Meaning he breaks away from it in the same way that the avatar can, as the avatar can break free from bloodbending by calling on the spirit of the avatar.

Personally, I'm not sure what to think.

this post was brought to you by a 100% authentic human being and definitely NOT a bear
  #1354 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Red Lotus
Steam ID: Pretendo7182 Wii U ID: Pretendo 3DS ID: 4511-0664-6397
View Posts: 2,528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xosgni View Post
That is the other thing I believe. I really REALLY believe that Amon has some affiliation with a very specific spirit that is an enemy of the avatar and of bending in general.

That or he himself is a blood bender, but I kind of don't think they'd do that.
Koh, anyone? (S)he really seemed to want Aang's face, but that wouldn't mean Amon would have to destroy the entire bending population.

I really hope they explain this in the Season Finale.

Come to think of it, maybe Korra bests Amon in the Season Finale, and they find out what Amon is, etc. Then, that spirit is an even bigger threat in the 2nd season?
  #1355 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 05:08 PM
I hope your day is as nice as your butt.
Send a message via Skype™ to Scanty
Steam ID: thall1599
View Posts: 6,790

So, there are twelve episodes for book one, the finale premiering on the 23rd of this month.
I am SO getting all of the episodes off the Internet after all of the episodes have aired. Then I shall embrace in the nostalgia and how good I know this show is.
Last Edited by Scanty; 06-12-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #1356 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Jennifer dumped me
Send a message via Skype™ to hijuliaa
3DS ID: 3583-0045-9228
View Posts: 2,506

Pretendo, that makes a lot of sense. Amon could also be sort of a "puppet" in a way, like how Majora's Mask used the Skull Kid.

Quote:
While I'm at it, I might as well share this.

I think it is possible that Amon does not only stop people from bending. I think he might literally be taking their abilities for himself, if that's possible. It would make him the most powerful bender in the world besides the Avatar. AND it would make him a very powerful nemesis- the only one who could dish out nearly any move the avatar could. Not that he'd need it. After all, he's shown on more than one occasion that he could take nearly any bender in a fight if he really had to.

That would be awesome. When you look at this show in the long run, it's like, "Wow okay, it's only affecting Republic City right now" with that chance that it will later affect the whole world. BUT if your theory was right, then it would make the situation that much more dire.
  #1357 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 07:02 PM
vladith
Send a message via Skype™ to Valhelm
Steam ID: Vladith
View Posts: 8,854

Quote:
I honestly think that Amon might be a cyborg. Like Combustion Man and the Mechanist, who were humans with artificial limbs/parts, but to a much more advanced degree.
I'd guess that Amon has spent years in deep spiritual training, perhaps under a sort of guru or maybe Aang himself. Through this, he learned to block chi, cancel bloodbending, and take away bending.
  #1358 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Red Lotus
Steam ID: Pretendo7182 Wii U ID: Pretendo 3DS ID: 4511-0664-6397
View Posts: 2,528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavros View Post
I'd guess that Amon has spent years in deep spiritual training, perhaps under a sort of guru or maybe Aang himself. Through this, he learned to block chi, cancel bloodbending, and take away bending.
...Under Aang himself? Using solely the evidence you put above, Amon is surely Aang's son, Bumi.
  #1359 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 PM
vladith
Send a message via Skype™ to Valhelm
Steam ID: Vladith
View Posts: 8,854

Although that's a possibility, I think it's more likely that he's a former Air Acolyte or some kind of spiritual prodigy. Although many middle-aged people in the Avatar series are great fighters, Amon's skill at combat makes it look like he's on the younger side.
  #1360 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Jennifer dumped me
Send a message via Skype™ to hijuliaa
3DS ID: 3583-0045-9228
View Posts: 2,506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavros View Post
Although that's a possibility, I think it's more likely that he's a former Air Acolyte or some kind of spiritual prodigy. Although many middle-aged people in the Avatar series are great fighters, Amon's skill at combat makes it look like he's on the younger side.

The Order of the White Lotus is not amused.

Tags