Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#801 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 07:49 PM
BigGoronSword BigGoronSword is a male Dominican Republic BigGoronSword is online now
King of the Gorons
Send a message via AIM to BigGoronSword Send a message via Yahoo to BigGoronSword

View Posts: 11,221
Re: The Legend of Korra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit7 View Post
I am looking forward to the fight between the Fire Farrets and umm the Something Bats. Was it bats? Well who ever Naga scared the crap out of.
White Falls Wolfbats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hijuliaa View Post
I'm interested to see if Amon's backstory is more explored (which it obviously will be) because I always wonder why Amon hates ALL benders rather than just Firebenders (poor Firebenders, they never get any love).
That's just how racism works:/ For all we know water benders and earth benders have also hassled Amon even later in life. I mean, take a look at the Triads, each posse has one of each of the three elements, the Triads could very well have been around for a long time (I sorta see them as the Yakuza of this world).

-BGS

[ZeldaWiki][Forum Mods][Rules][ZUChat][Newbie Guide]
"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans"-Van Zant
Giving up means you're willing to live with how things are-BGS
  #802 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 09:24 PM
vladith
Send a message via Skype™ to Valhelm
Steam ID: Vladith
View Posts: 8,851

Wow, I didn't know Saul was in this show.
  #803 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 09:41 PM
ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ
Send a message via Skype™ to Lly
View Posts: 5,796

So, I'm officially obsessed with this show. While it occasionally shows it's stripes as a kids' show, all-in-all, it's got a neat aesthetic, old-timey greatness, good characters, great action sequences, and a good blend of comedy and drama.

Amon is actually terrifying, where Zuko wasn't: the unknown and the potential for utter powerlessness is certainly scary. and it touches on important political and thematic things in a well-constructed way.

plus, this thing.

#804 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 09:58 PM
ZeldaMaster#1#1 ZeldaMaster#1#1 is a male United States ZeldaMaster#1#1 is offline
Asolare
View Posts: 7,900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lly View Post
So, I'm officially obsessed with this show. While it occasionally shows it's stripes as a kids' show, all-in-all, it's got a neat aesthetic, old-timey greatness, good characters, great action sequences, and a good blend of comedy and drama.

Amon is actually terrifying, where Zuko wasn't: the unknown and the potential for utter powerlessness is certainly scary. and it touches on important political and thematic things in a well-constructed way.

plus, this thing.

Well, Zuko was meant to change to be good later on since the beginning. And although we was the evil in the beginning, his father turned out to be even more evil later on. His father was outright scary powerful; a mean controlling the flow of electricity with only one, obscure method of not dying from it?!

Amon may be assigned a permanent evil role; and I don't see it changing but it could. He's scary because he can do some scary chi-blocking (or energybending [still a possibility but really unlikely]). The Avatar depends on bending because he or she can bend ALL the elements and could be seen as an affront to humanity's connection to spirituality and such.

So far, I find Amon and Ozai equally scary. Zuko was never meant to be the über scary person anyway.

Also, I watched the A:TLA in four days. It was addicting. Now I have to wait to watch each episode of TLOK.... Oh well.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
  #805 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 10:15 PM
GIMME BACK MAH RUPEES
Send a message via Skype™ to hijuliaa
View Posts: 2,474

Azula had freaked me out in TLA, but Amon far surpasses her. I'm genuinely afraid of him. What's more disturbing is that Amon (for all we know) doesn't actually kill people, and yet he's scary.
  #806 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Hiroshi Yamauchi. Former president of Nintendo. Rest in peace.
Send a message via Yahoo to Chad
View Posts: 9,333

Scarier than Azula? You have to be kidding. I don't find him really scary at all, probably because he doesn't kill people. Though I can understand if someone has superpowers, and uses them wisely and constructively, they would have problems with Amon.

......................................../`````````````````````````````````````````\
.........TWW-PH-ST-(LoZ-AoL)-(OoX)-TMC-FS-FSA-ALttP-LA-(OoX)-(LoZ-AoL)
OoT<.............................................. \____________________/
.........MM-TP
  #807 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Reach out to the truth.
Send a message via AIM to Brotagonist Send a message via Skype™ to Brotagonist
Steam ID: wolfennights

View Posts: 17,634

Azula was crazy. Amon is smug and nonviolent. Two different styles of scary.

Tumblr!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I read "therapist" as "goat".
1 person liked this post: Valhelm
  #808 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Cayenne Pepper Cayenne Pepper is a female United States Cayenne Pepper is offline
en de'ez ia! "Murica
View Posts: 4,250

That ❤❤❤❤❤ was bat❤❤❤❤ insane.
And I'm glad she's dead.

3DS FC
  #809 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Yo! ಥ_ಥ Click The Sig ಧ_ಧ
View Posts: 521

"Will love be Korra's number one enemy?"

Anybody else find this introduction line to the latest episode a little cheesy?

Thanks to Caleb for my old one

"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength." Phillipians 4;13
  #810 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Link the Zora Link the Zora is a male United States Link the Zora is offline
Trying to get a room in the Stock Pot Inn since 2000.
Steam ID: NEVER!!!

View Posts: 9,370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Scarier than Azula? You have to be kidding. I don't find him really scary at all, probably because he doesn't kill people. Though I can understand if someone has superpowers, and uses them wisely and constructively, they would have problems with Amon.
At least all Azula did was physically kill someone. Amon keeps his victims alive, but he disables their ability to bend, something that is literally a part of them!

Would it be too much to equate this with rape? He's violating them from within, destroying something that makes them what they are, stripping them, making them weak and vulnerable. They're alive, sure, but still...
  #811 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-07-2012, 04:56 PM
GIMME BACK MAH RUPEES

Ahh, after a tough day of finals, a cheesy teen romance episode of LoK is just what I need.

EDIT: The music has been leaning toward TLA territory. It was a nice flashback.
And that was devastating with Bolin and the flowers.
Last Edited by hijuliaa; 05-07-2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #812 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-07-2012, 05:38 PM

I guess it could be a rape metaphor, and the bender could justifyably be depressed afterwards. I suppose if someone had a job at a factory lightning bending like the temp job Mako had, it could destroy their livelihood too.

I wonder if it's painful. Part of what makes rape so bad is that it could be painful, and if it's a woman being raped she might get pregnant.

I guess it comes down to whether you think rape is worse than death. Things could get better after a one time rape. Things can't get better after dying.

......................................../`````````````````````````````````````````\
.........MM-TP
  #813 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-07-2012, 05:56 PM
**** YEAH!
Send a message via Skype™ to America
Steam ID: colton_o_weekly
View Posts: 1,299

After you're dead, things can't get worse either (unless you fully believe in and afterlife, I suppose).

Getting raped can lead to emotional trauma that gets worse. I know a rape victim who because of it is constantly depressed, thinking of suicide, etc.

After you die, you can't do that.

In Avatar, using that metaphor, I'd imagine the same thing could happen to certain benders. It'd be like blinding or deafening someone almost. While you could say bending isn't as necessary as sight, for someone working in a profession that relies on it it could very well be.

I think the scariest thing about Amon isn't what he does, but how he does it. He shows little to no emotion in his actions. He wants to do what he thinks is the right thing (taking away bending from the world) and he goes about it in a very professional, detached way.

He doesn't want to do it for just himself or for power. He seems to seriously believe he's on the side of the world.

Kind of like Hitler's mindset I think. Which is even more frightening when you can pull out the comparisons of the world's most known mass murderer and a villain in a cartoon.
  #814 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-07-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
In Avatar, using that metaphor, I'd imagine the same thing could happen to certain benders. It'd be like blinding or deafening someone almost. While you could say bending isn't as necessary as sight, for someone working in a profession that relies on it it could very well be.
I don't know. Yes, it'd be traumatic if someone deliberately blinded you or deafened you, but sight/hearing isn't an innate part of who you are. It's not your personal identity, your culture. They're just tools to help you see and hear in the world. If you went blind or deaf, you can learn to cope with it. To live with it.

What Amon is doing is essentially destroying something that's very culturally important to the Benders and telling them that they deserve what is happening because they are Benders. He's spirtually raping them. And telling them that they deserve it.
Last Edited by Link the Zora; 05-07-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #815 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-07-2012, 10:35 PM
GIMME BACK MAH RUPEES

Imagine if Amon was there during the Gaang's time.
First of all, yikes. That's just what they would need.
Second of all, if he took someone like Toph's bending away, this would profoundly affect her. She uses her bending to see and fully depends on it. If it's gone, she pretty much can't live life anymore.
Last Edited by hijuliaa; 05-07-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #816 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-08-2012, 12:38 AM
MrBaconsock, Totakeke
View Posts: 2,538

Has anyone else heard this theory yet?

It appears that Korra may be slowly unblocking her chakras just as Aang did with the guru. Only Korra is unaware of it happening. In episode 4, Korra dealt with her fear of Amon (the earth chakra), and in episode 5 she dealt with all that relationship drama, which has strong ties to pleasure and guilt (water chakra).

If this trend continues it could be that Korra will achieve the avatar state by the end of the season by unlocking chakras through individual episodes.
  #817 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-08-2012, 02:36 AM
Gerudo Thief
Send a message via Skype™ to Austindo
Steam ID: psn_mariocartwii140 Wii U ID: Austindo

View Posts: 101

So far I'm really liking the show. The Last Airbender is one of my favorite cartoons of all time, and I must say, The Legend of Korra definitely lives up to its predecessors standards. They definitely did a good job of making a deep and interesting story, and its very easy to keep up with and remember what happens.
  #818 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-08-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijuliaa View Post
Imagine if Amon was there during the Gaang's time.
First of all, yikes. That's just what they would need.
Second of all, if he took someone like Toph's bending away, this would profoundly affect her. She uses her bending to see and fully depends on it. If it's gone, she pretty much can't live life anymore.
While she could learn to cope with life as a regular blind person, I think she would consider it very hellacious and damaging to who she is. Plus, she'd have to move back in with her parents who treat her like a fragile china doll.
  #819 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-08-2012, 10:55 AM
destroy space lincoln
Send a message via AIM to forte Send a message via Skype™ to forte
View Posts: 14,423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totakeke View Post
Has anyone else heard this theory yet?

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/tkmQX.png[IMG]

It appears that Korra may be slowly unblocking her chakras just as Aang did with the guru. Only Korra is unaware of it happening. In episode 4, Korra dealt with her fear of Amon (the earth chakra), and in episode 5 she dealt with all that relationship drama, which has strong ties to pleasure and guilt (water chakra).

If this trend continues it could be that Korra will achieve the avatar state by the end of the season by unlocking chakras through individual episodes.
interesting, though i'm not so sure there are enough episodes in this season for each chakra to be unlocked.

in regards to the topic, Amon is just simply frightening in every intrusive kinda way you can be frightening. i find the fear is rooted in his ability to make you helpless. he shows little to no emotion about his actions, and genuinely shares certain qualities of a certain dictator. he is in every way scary because he gives up rapey, mass-murdering-dictator vibes. Azula on the other hand is just a high-functioning sociopath to its max which is a whole other type of scary. they both are great villains in that regard.

i looooooved tla and i have book 1 on dvd. i'd have all three but i'm poor lol. i immediately started watching tlk when it came out and i've been keeping up with it since and so far, i think it's showing itself to be a better series than tla. i'm not saying this has the potential to be better than tla, i'm saying if it continues the way it is, it absolutely will be better than tla. its underlying themes are a lot deeper, the story is more complex, it contains a massive amount of social commentary, it's just goddamn brilliant in every way. on top of that its animation and fighting sequences have improved. i tend to lean towards the writing being better as well. it does have one disadvantage though. tla was so much more epic (so far) in its story. the protagonist started off at a worse place and had a much larger journey (seemingly). it was therefore grander and more epic at least this early in the series.

so they both have pros and cons but overall, if korra doesn't get any worse (and hell, it's been getting better so that's the trend it should be following), i think it'll surpass tla by leagues. but of course that doesn't overwrite the original tla. i will always have love for it. when i want to embark on a longer, more winding adventure, i'll go with tla.

#820 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-08-2012, 11:17 AM

He's just a well intentioned extremist vigilante. I'm not sure where any mass murdering dictator vibe would come from, even though I could see a rape metaphor.

I just think differently than some people in this thread. If I had to pick between being locked in a room with Amon and Azula, I'd pick Amon. Even if I was a bender.

I've been thinking about the chi blockers, and I wonder if you could stop them by covering youruself in armor, or in the case of fire benders, giving off strong heatwaves.

.........MM-TP

Tags