Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

View Poll Results: What's your favourite season of Game of Thrones?
Season 1 2 25.00%
Season 2 2 25.00%
Season 3 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#341 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Big Damn Hero
Send a message via Skype™ to Galedeep
Steam ID: nolanam
View Posts: 13,448
Re: Game of Thrones - Show Only Discussion!

Welp, that's a finale that delivered on essentially all fronts.

Let's start in King's Landing. Joffrey dumping Sansa for Margery (sans ice cream cone dress, but slutting it up for her hopeful betrothed) provided a truly wonderful moment where Sansa walks away and can't help laughing, before Littlefinger has to show up and ruin it with his rape-y talk. The rest of the stuff in King's Landing was pretty mild, I'm surprised they've gone in a "Cersei tried to kill Tyrion direction" rather than having Tywin be impresssed with his son's leadership during the battle, but I guess when you're Tywin, a halfling son is always just going to be a halfling son. Varys is up to some mischief, but I'm not sure what.

(On the whole horse-❤❤❤❤ thing: The scene had Margery declare her love for a man who her former husband had, earlier in the season, sworn the execute; followed by the Maester declaring the God's would smile on their union even as Joffrey broke his word to Sansa; followed again by Littlefinger getting a nice castle for setting the whole thing up. Preceding all that political grandstanding with a horse taking a ❤❤❤❤ at the entrance to the throne room was nothing if not appropriate.)

The bit with Stannis and his witchy girlfriend was maybe not the strongest scene, because I guess they blew all the CGI money on the spectacular green fire explosion in the last episode, so we didn't get to see whatever convincing image was there in the fire. But the shot was sweet and the actor sold the moment well, so it wasn't a total flop.

The Jamie and Brienne scene was pretty much everything I wanted from their adventure together. They stop their sassy banter long enough to try to get by a couple bannermen. The look on Jamie's face when he saw how readily Brienne dealt with them was a sight to behold.

The Qarth stuff was probably the best it's been all season. Khal Drogo is always a welcome presence in the show, whether he be alive, a hallucination, a ghost, or a zombie. Though I felt the scene where the dragons torch that sorcerer prick was a little quick. That said, it was a delight to find out that one does not simply become the richest man in Qarth without telling a few massive whoppers. Also, seeing the Dothraki getting back to their looting roots was pleasure to see.

Jaqen exits temporarily from the season with a neat face-switch. I was actually kind of hoping Arya would take him up on his offer to go to the land of dance teachers and mysterious assassins, but alas. And really, everyone from east of Westeros seems to have some pretty damn uncanny abilities, I don't see why some of them don't just sail over and throw themselves into the Game. I feel like they'd do well for themselves.

I'm most curious about what will happen to Theon the hapless moron. His exit from the show was probably the funniest scene in the episode, his men letting him get into his rousing speech before cracking him over the head, but I'm not sure what his fate is at this point. Are they taking him back to the Iron Islands? And how did they even escape Winterfell after razing it? And what happened to the five hundred men supposedly camped outside the walls when Hodor and co. popped their heads out?

Finally, Jon gets to the Wilding camp, which looks way more developed then those South of the Wall seem to give them credit for. And then, stupid fat same gets surrounded by a gang of zombies and one super freak ancient monster looking guy, who appear to me marching somewhere. What's going to be with that gang of zombies? My guess is they'll ❤❤❤❤ ❤❤❤❤ up for awhile before some dragonfire rains down on them.

Another great season from one of the best and most unique shows on television. Now just nine long months before the Game can resume.

Best Arc of the Season: Arya Stark and Tywin Lannister
Worst Arc of the Season: Robb Stark and his stupid boring girlfriend.
Most useless characters of the season: The Direwolves.
1 person liked this post: Florina Laufeyson
  #342 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Parrot Grass Parrot Grass is a male United States Parrot Grass is offline
Hero of Time
Send a message via Skype™ to Parrot Grass
Steam ID: KamiTsurugi
View Posts: 13,608

If there's one good thing I'll say about Theon...

It was a pretty nice speech.
  #343 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-04-2012, 03:06 PM
?
Steam ID: Foofs
View Posts: 8,453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galedeep View Post

Finally, Jon gets to the Wilding camp, which looks way more developed then those South of the Wall seem to give them credit for. And then, stupid fat same gets surrounded by a gang of zombies and one super freak ancient monster looking guy, who appear to me marching somewhere. What's going to be with that gang of zombies? My guess is they'll ❤❤❤❤ ❤❤❤❤ up for awhile before some dragonfire rains down on them.
Sam's gonna kill them all.
  #344 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-04-2012, 05:22 PM
[insert clever custom title]
View Posts: 4,460

Quote:
Yeah, they call it A Song of Ice and Fire for a reason, I suppose. But it's probably more complicated than that: will Dany want to rain fire down on a platinum blonde, blue-eyed zombie? I'm not sure who he is but he's obviously a Targaryen.
Technically Targaryens have purple eyes...

But that Blue eyed Creature on the undead horse was pretty much the Others or White Walkers. They are pretty much the whole reason the Wall was built and the why the Nights Watch was founded. .

As for Rob's Wife. I always hated Rob for doing that. But at least in the tv series we actually see how it happens. In the books he just sorta shows up at Riverrun with a wife. lol

Amazing Signature and Avatar by Viral Maze. Thanks!
My Fanfiction
  #345 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
Hveđrungr
3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

View Posts: 22,385

Quote:
Why did lord of all that is great's horse ❤❤❤❤ on the floor? What was the point of that?
The others pretty summed that up well. Tywin is basically saying "lol! The King ❤❤❤❤s and the Hand wipes? Nope. Its the other way around in this situation, ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤s!" Smug ass rear end in a top hat.

Quote:
I know he's a White Walker, but what I'm saying is that it looks like he's also a Targaryen. Maybe an ancestor?
Nah. Im pretty sure thats a full on White Walker. Like what it looks like when its not...possessing a corpse. It doesnt look like an actual wight. When i get to that point in the books, ill be sure to post a spoiler-tagged confirmation.

Quote:
Uhh did you notice that Sam was actually still in the shadow of the Wall? They are...marching toward the Wall.

Quote:
Jaqen exits temporarily from the season with a neat face-switch. I was actually kind of hoping Arya would take him up on his offer to go to the land of dance teachers and mysterious assassins, but alas.
Syrio (Arya's "dancing master") was from Braavos. So she was interested. But alas....Valar Morghulis!

Quote:
I'm most curious about what will happen to Theon the hapless moron. His exit from the show was probably the funniest scene in the episode, his men letting him get into his rousing speech before cracking him over the head, but I'm not sure what his fate is at this point. Are they taking him back to the Iron Islands? And how did they even escape Winterfell after razing it? And what happened to the five hundred men supposedly camped outside the walls when Hodor and co. popped their heads out?
Its actually implied they gave Theon to the Stark men and burned Winterfell and ran for it. Im not sure if thats actually the case but its likely.

Quote:
The Jamie and Brienne scene was pretty much everything I wanted from their adventure together. They stop their sassy banter long enough to try to get by a couple bannermen. The look on Jamie's face when he saw how readily Brienne dealt with them was a sight to behold.
Hahah yeah. Brienne of ❤❤❤❤in' Tarth! "Those were Stark men!" "I dont serve the Starks." Bad. Ass. Jaime learns a valuable lesson in underestimating people. Im really curious how this arc is gonna go.

Quote:
Best Arc of the Season: Arya Stark and Tywin Lannister
Worst Arc of the Season: Robb Stark and his stupid boring girlfriend.
Most useless characters of the season: The Direwolves.
Best Arcs: Agreed there. I also loved Sansa's arc even though there wasnt a whole lot of it.
Worst Arc: Agreed again. Also i really hated Theon's arc but it stems more from my really hating that character than anything.
Most Useless Characters this season: Its not the direwolves' fault the writers cut them back so much. They really do have a much huger role in the books. And in the book for this season, Bran actually starts the uh...warging process. That was so glossed over this time around. Dammit.

Florina's Favorites This Season:
Character(s): Arya, Jaqen H'ghar, Tyrion, Sansa, The Hound, Samwel Tarly, Brienne, Jorah, Varys.

Location(s): Qarth (its neat), Dragonstone (Stannis's lair formerly the Targaryen castle), Harrenhal.

Episode(s): Blackwater and The Ghost of Harrenhal.

Florina's Least Favorites:

Character(s): Theon, Talisa, Melisandre, Stannis, Tywin (sorry, foofs but hes a rear end in a top hat.), Shae, Catelyn, Ros (really...stupid whore.), Ygritte. (I hope Ygritte gets awesome next season)

Location(s) Pyke, Beyond The Wall (cuz it was boring after they left Craster's area and up until the end.), The Red Waste.

Episode(s): The Night Lands.

Stuff That Needs To Get Awesome: Dany's story arc, Cersei's story arc, Robb's story arc, Bran and the warging situation, Jon's story arc.

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
1 person liked this post: Bravo
  #346 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-04-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
By the way, and I presume that I'm not the only person to notice this, but is this show ripping off the Elder Scrolls series, or vice-versa? Or perhaps are they ripping each other off equally in a fantasy circle-jerk?
How is it ripping off Elder Scrolls? Not sure when the first Elder Scrolls was released but GRRM started A Game of Thrones in 1991 and then published in 1996. But I don't think GRRM has been ripping off Elder Scrollls.

My Fanfiction
  #347 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
Hveđrungr

Quote:
By the way, and I presume that I'm not the only person to notice this, but is this show ripping off the Elder Scrolls series, or vice-versa? Or perhaps are they ripping each other off equally in a fantasy circle-jerk?
I....think thats the other way around. The book series started in like, the late 90s. But since i really never played Elder Scrolls anything, i cant say for certain. What in the Elder Scrolls seems to be similar to A Song Of Ice And Fire?
Im pretty sure its just coincidence anyway. George R.R. Martin designed maps and junk for this series and the GoT teams just...tried to flesh them out.

#348 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Konnichiwa. Steven Spielberg desu.
Send a message via Skype™ to Buu
Steam ID: Buusaur
View Posts: 4,777

I almost bawled when Shae and Tyrion continued to be my OTP OTP OTP OH LORD.

I bawled a little when Maester Luwin kicked the bucket. Holy crapface ❤❤❤❤ I am sad.

ALSO:

This face made me lol.
  #349 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Parrot Grass Parrot Grass is a male United States Parrot Grass is offline
Hero of Time
Send a message via Skype™ to Parrot Grass
Steam ID: KamiTsurugi
View Posts: 13,608

Another thing I loved about the episode was at the very beginning.

I was like "Did Maester Pycell just hold a grudge? "
  #350 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-04-2012, 11:19 PM
?

So I've found after rewatching season 2 that I've slowly stopped giving a ❤❤❤❤ about everything other than the Nightswatch story arc. I dunno but the idea that bunch of third echelon ❤❤❤❤ers now have to deal with the barbarian horde and a ❤❤❤❤ing zombie invasion led by the ❤❤❤❤ing love children of the swamp thing and sub zero, seems much more interesting than like "man i wanna sit on the iron throne. so politics and warz" and "I AM THE MOTHER OF DRAGONS".

❤❤❤❤ is about to go down way harder at the wall than anything else happening in the world. That whole horde walking towards the wall was pretty much a nuclear bomb of "❤❤❤❤ just got real" for the men in black. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say fat boy kills a couple of those zombie ❤❤❤❤ers and gains mad street cred and bro fives, all while the night commander slowly nods his head with a single manly tear of pride while saying "that'll do fat boy..that'll do".
Last Edited by Mafoofoo; 06-04-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #351 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-04-2012, 11:53 PM

I think that's the only real problem I have with this series. Is that they focus way to much on the whole game of thrones and the wars and all that when I really want to read about Jon and the Nightswatch. The series starts off with a group of rangers encountering a slaughtered wildling village and encounter the Others. I mean it's a ancient race of evil with a army of giant spiders and zombies.

Who cares who should sit on the Iron Throne!

My Fanfiction
  #352 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2012, 01:38 AM
Hveđrungr

Im more interested in if Bran learns how to warg and if Arya manages to do something awesome. Yeah the Night's Watch arc is really heating up now and thats great! Finally we see the Others. But yeah...Arya's story arc i think, is the one im all about. And if someone kills Joffery.

1 person liked this post: Moriquendi
  #353 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2012, 05:56 AM
Grok on
View Posts: 3,148

I got to see the last two episodes yesterday. I think episode 9 was quite fantastic. I loved how they did the battle. And I always liked Tyrion's words "There are brave men knocking on our door—let's go kill them!”

Spoiler from book three:
Spoiler:  
It a bit painful the see Rob doing what he is doing, when I know what will happen..

I also liked how they ended the north of the wall-part (:

Heiđinn
  #354 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2012, 07:08 AM
Avalanchemike Avalanchemike is a male The Byzantine Empire Avalanchemike is offline
patron saint of subtlety
Send a message via Skype™ to Avalanchemike
Steam ID: Avalanchemike Wii U ID: AvaMike

View Posts: 25,224

Guys: I just want to point out that posting spoilers should at least be marked by stating you're going to post spoilers both from recent episodes and the books, if not spoilering the post. No complaints, just don't want anyone's experience to be ruined

"It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong"
- G. K. Chesterton

#355 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Big Damn Hero

Quote:
Tywin wants a legacy, and Joffrey is that legacy. Tywin can't be king himself, so the highest he could rise was Hand.
This is a good point, though Tywin was always technically The Hand (Tyrion was only serving during his absence, if I'm remembering right). Stands to reason he'd take the mantle himself now that he's in King's Landing.

Though I doubt he'll be much more tolerant of Joffrey's ass-backwards rule than Tyrion was. Unless he's content the legacy of the Lannister's being that they had the only king more reviled than the Mad one.

Quote:
I'm quite happy that Spielberg didn't let us see the shark.
Not really analogous examples. Everyone knows Jaws was about a shark, and it was still pulling people under the water and being a terrifying threat without being seen. Stannis was just staring into a fire, there was nothing scary or even fore-shadowy about it aside from his spoken reaction.

Quote:
Robb's "stupid boring girlfriend" isn't THAT boring, considering how heavily they've implied that she's a Lannister spy.
They implied it so overtly that I'd be shocked and even more irritated with that lame arc than I already am if it turned out to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florinasaur View Post
Uhh did you notice that Sam was actually still in the shadow of the Wall? They are...marching toward the Wall.
Yeah, I didn't figure they were marching further northward.
  #356 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Big Damn Hero

Quote:
I may have been unclear: lack of revelation leaves it open as to whether there actually WAS a vision in the flames, or whether she was just tricking Stannis into looking at fire, which (alongside clouds) is even better than the Rorschach ink blots for getting a person to see what they want to see.

Basically what I'm saying is that they've left it open as to whether Stannis actually DOES have a destiny that was visible in the flames, or whether it's an "Emperor's New Clothes" situation where he's CONVINCING himself that he sees something, because it's more pleasant to believe that his murder of his own brother wasn't for nothing.
True enough. Gods and Religion in the GoT's universe is one of the more interesting aspects of the show. It really delved into the more mystical elements of the world this season, but when it comes to exploring the actual presence of all these Gods that essentially everyone believes in (even if they don't like them), it's been relatively silent. Melisandre is probably the closest we've come to seeing any sort of divinity what with her shadowy crotch goblin and invulnerability to poison, but it could just be her own mysticism and not a sign of divinity.

She's a mysterious and crafty character, that's for sure!

And now, let's relive some of the season's best moments in gif form!

Spoiler:  

There were creepy-ass demon monster births:

There were deaths:

Many deaths, in explosions that probably cost a lot of money:

There were many awesome pairings. Some of them hilarious and awkward:

Some awesome and riveting:

Dany walked a lot. A lot.

Margery wore an ice cream cone dress:

And Joffrey, the worst little butthole in Westeros, got plenty of what was coming to him:

Though not nearly as much as he deserved. Oh well, after all...

And of course, last but certainly not least...

Hodor.

3 people liked this post: Florina Laufeyson, Moriquendi, Parrot Grass
  #357 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2012, 05:35 PM
?

Speaking of Hodor I couldn't stop laughing when he did his concerned "..hodor..." to comfort the little kid.
  #358 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Hveđrungr

Oh god i love Hodor! Thats the only thing he can say: "Hodor..." They say his name is actually Walder or some junk but he couldnt say that so he said Hodor and it stuck. So when Hodor goes "....hodor...." Sad times...

#359 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Banned User
Steam ID: sircalibur
View Posts: 2,560

Having watched every available episode, Pinkie Pie is convinced that Tyrion Lannister figured out he was in a fantasy novel/TV show, and just decided to have fun with it.
Last Edited by American Soldier; 06-05-2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #360 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Burning hooves means Littlepip is watching...
Send a message via AIM to Puck
View Posts: 15,588

So I'm watching the second season for the first time and got up to blackwater.

Can I just say how much I hate Dany. In the books I like her, but in the TV show I just feel this need to punch her. No matter who she argues with I always find myself agreeing with the other person. She's just so.... agh.

Tags
a game of thrones, a song of ice and fire, arya is best character, brienne of tarth, corn, dolorous edd, george r. r. martin, i call it needle, joffers, jon snow, kermit flail, mance mance mance, margaery is badass, me member, omg spoilers, promise me ned, season 4, ser pounce, tv series, valar morghulis, white walkers, winter is coming, you know nothing