Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-04-2010, 07:57 PM
your voice is like a combination of fergie and jesus.
View Posts: 290
Favorite Childhood Cartoons

This thread was inspired by the Facebook "change your display picture to a cartoon character to prevent child abuse" event.
So, anyway. What were your favorite cartoons to watch as a child, and why? Who were your favorite characters in that cartoon?
I had quite a few that I loved to watch.

Blues Clues - This show stuck with me for a long time. c: I was pretty much obsessed with Blues Clues until I reached the age of 5 or 6. I remember having a BC birthday party with Blue and Magenta when I was probably 4.

Powerpuff Girls - My two best friends and I would always pretend we were the PP Girls! I remember that I'd always be Blossom, even though I always wanted to be Bubbles. Nobody wanted to be Buttercup. c:

I also really liked to watch Franklin, The Rugrats, Clifford, Courage the Cowardly Dog (though that one creeped me out a bit at times), The Land Before Time, and The Brave Little Toaster.

Your turn. c:

ZU Art Thread | dA
"We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities."
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Feelz before realz
Send a message via Skype™ to Tabby
View Posts: 5,642
Re: Favorite Childhood Cartoons

It was Scooby Doo until one episode involving Vampires gave me nightmares, then I hated it.

Apparently I used to love Bill and Ben the flowerpot men but I can't remember it at all.

I loved (and still do) any of the pre-2000 BBC kids shows, after that stuff got really bad. Except In the Night Garden which is ****ING AWESOME!

Catch the Ninky Nonk!
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Anouki
View Posts: 30

Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Lab on CN, The Land Before Time (only the first one I think, and it was in Spanish), and The Lion King- I used to be so obsessed with the Lion King when I was a little kid. It was in Spanish originally, but my parents got me an Enlgish version, and since I knew the Spanish version off by heart, I knew what was happening and I pretty much learned the English language from The Lion King, even before my parents learned the language This was when I was around 3 or 4.

Oh, and Mario cartoons. I don't know what they were called, but I watched heaps of cartoons about Mario and Luigi and the Mushroom Kingdom and whatnot.

Back in my pre-teens, though, I used to LOVE Avatar: The Last Airbender, and then because of nostalgia I decided to watch the whole series again last week, and it was still quite awesome. I chose Zuko as my dp thing for Facebook because he is awesome.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-04-2010, 08:25 PM
I caught you a delicious bass.
Send a message via Skype™ to Rheks
View Posts: 2,094

Man I loved so manyyy.
I use to come home from school and turn on CBBC or whatever it was where all the cartoons would be on.
I lovedd Hey arnold, mona the vampire, recess, arthur, scooby doo, man there is tooooo many.
My all time fav would have to be Hey Arnold.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-04-2010, 08:30 PM
TheGhostOfMandrag TheGhostOfMandrag is a male United States TheGhostOfMandrag is offline
Powerless to Resist
View Posts: 8,872

Early childhood memories of obsessing over the Little Mermaid and Aladdin, and being a lesser fan of Ren & Stimpy. Also something called "Street Sharks" but I think I was more caught up in the premise than a fan of the actual show, given I can remember practically nothing about it except the image of shark/bodybuilders who could tunnel beneath a road with the dorsal fin protruding (and that they used to be surfers who were mutated somehow).
Elementary school, I ****ing loved Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, and Johnny Bravo.
Teenage years saw a lot of Spongebob and Adult Swim. I never was fond of Inuyash but damn did I see a lot of it for lack of anything else on during its timeslot and now it's rather nostalgic.

I still watch Adult Swim, but it's been forever since I saw Bebop or Trigun or Sealab.
Last Edited by TheGhostOfMandrag; 12-04-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Fighter of the Nightman.
View Posts: 8,553

Tom and Jerry
Looney Toons
Popeye
Old Hanna-BarbaraCartoons(Yogi Bear, Johnny Quest etc)
Batman: TAS
The Super Friends(and more recently Justice League)
Ren and Stimpy
Cow and Chicken
Rocko's Modern Life
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Dexter's Lab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrag View Post
Early childhood memories of obsessing over the Little Mermaid and Aladdin, and being a lesser fan of Ren & Stimpy. Also something called "Street Sharks" but I think I was more caught up in the premise than a fan of the actual show, given I can remember practically nothing about it except the image of shark/bodybuilders who could tunnel beneath a road with the dorsal fin protruding (and that they used to be surfers who were mutated somehow).Elementary school, I ****ing loved Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, and Johnny Bravo.
Teenage years saw a lot of Spongebob and Adult Swim. I never was fond of Inuyash but damn did I see a lot of it for lack of anything else on during its timeslot and now it's rather nostalgic.

I still watch Adult Swim, but it's been forever since I saw Bebop or Trigun or Sealab.
Hey I remember Street Sharks, it wa some mind of TMNT knock off.
But TMNT was awesome.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-04-2010, 08:45 PM
is an alien!
View Posts: 931

Hey Arnold! - I loved this show! All the characters were pretty likable. My favorite episode is the one where they go on a train they think is haunted and leads to the underworld.

Doug - Dear journal: I liked Doug because again, the characters were cool, even if some were green or blue or purple. The show usually had fun little storylines to the episodes. I hated the watered-down version Disney put out, though.

Rugrats - This show was fun to watch. Angelica was cool. I bet when she grew up, she turned out to be a slut. I couldn't stand All Grown Up, though. Seeing them grown up might've been interesting for an episode or two, but they shouldn't have tried a whole series around it. It failed miserably, compared to how long the original Rugrats ran.

Scooby-Doo - I've actually been having the urge to watch this show again for the longest time. Maybe I should do that...

With Scooby-Doo, the Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? episodes I liked best. I didn't like the episodes that had just Shaggy, Scooby and Scrappy. I preferred the whole cast.

By the way, I was wondering why everyone had cartoon characters as their default pictures on Facebook. Now I know.
Last Edited by Fatal; 12-04-2010 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Nirvana achieved…clever girl.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raptor Buddha
View Posts: 1,082

GI Joe: A Real American Hero
Transformers: Robots in Disguise
Rocko's Modern Life
2 Stupid Dogs
The Simpsons
Super Mario Bros. Supershow
The Legend of Zelda (hey, kids don't have high standards)
Ren & Stimpy
Johnny Bravo
Hey Arnold
Batman the Animated Series
South Park
Beavis and Butthead

Out of all of these Batman the Animated Series was my favorite. It was a great cartoon, but more than that it was a great piece of drama. The voice acting, which was produced with all the voice actors recording at once, was just incredible. One of the biggest epiphanies I've ever had was the day I found out that the Joker was voiced by Mark Hammil (Luke Skywalker). Also, the story telling was just spectacular.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-04-2010, 08:50 PM
y so serious
Send a message via Skype™ to Anna
View Posts: 89

^ From the list above...

Johnny Bravo
Hey Arnold
Batman the Animated Series
South Park
Beavis and Butthead
The Simpsons
2 Stupid Dogs
Dexter's Lab

I also loved Batman the animated series. <3 I adore it still to this day~! JOKER AND HARLEY FTW!
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-04-2010, 08:57 PM
TheGhostOfMandrag TheGhostOfMandrag is a male United States TheGhostOfMandrag is offline
Powerless to Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvidiusdux View Post
(hey, kids don't have high standards)
AHEM

...tell me you had bad taste...
Last Edited by TheGhostOfMandrag; 12-04-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-04-2010, 09:00 PM
is an alien!
View Posts: 931

Oh, I forgot one: Bobby's World!

I watched that show every morning before school. I freakin' loved it!
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Powerless to Resist

I forgot one, too, also from my early teens: Samurai Jack.

That **** needs to get back on the air.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-04-2010, 09:06 PM
always willing to stand corrected

View Posts: 17,466

Moved to Entertainment!
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Nirvana achieved…clever girl.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raptor Buddha
View Posts: 1,082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andross View Post
Rocko's Modern Life and Ren and Stimpy were the best damn children's cartoons of their era.

True classics.
Jack Hammering contest.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-04-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
Hey Arnold! - I loved this show! All the characters were pretty likable. My favorite episode is the one where they go on a train they think is haunted and leads to the underworld.
I loved Hey Arnold! too! I got into that one probably in the 3rd grade or so.. but yeah, that was an awesome show. c:
I also liked Dexter's Lab, but the sister really annoyed me.. Deedee, was it? Haha, I was probably just like her as a kid. Always bugging my brother.. c:

Oh, and there were these movies.. All Dogs Go To Heaven? Or something like that. I was in love with those movies!

ZU Art Thread | dA
"We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities."
Last Edited by Disney; 12-04-2010 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Big Damn Hero
Send a message via Skype™ to Galedeep
View Posts: 13,253

Can't believe there have been sixteen posts and not a single mention of Animaniacs yet.

Also,

]

and

AND

Those are probably four of my top five.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-04-2010, 10:24 PM
タイラー
View Posts: 1,897

Dragon Ball/Z/GT - My three favorite shows in the world. I always like to consider them one long series though. It basically is. Goku and the Z fighters in an epic struggle to save the world! Well, that's what it is in a nutshell...

Pokemon - Before Generation III came out, it was one of my favorite shows. I love the old Pokemon. Who doesn't? Back when Wobbufet wasn't hogging up Jesse, James, and Meowth, and when it had Gary and Misty. That's the best Pokemon cartoon.

Yu-Gi-Oh - The orginal is the best, GX and 5 D's sucks. This had awesome characters and monsters, and my friends and I used to play the card game all the time.

I'll post more later.

Sig by スリムシェイディ
3DS FC: 1633 - 4674 - 8666
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-04-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Pokemon - Before Generation III came out, it was one of my favorite shows. I love the old Pokemon. Who doesn't? Back when Wobbufet wasn't hogging up Jesse, James, and Meowth, and when it had Gary and Misty. That's the best Pokemon cartoon.
Agh! Pokemon! How could I forget? I adored Pokemon and even got the cards.. I ended up giving them away because I didn't know what to do with them. Lol. But I remember buying VCR tapes of some of the Pokemon episodes.. like the Big Race one, with the flaming horse. That pokemon was my favorite. Rapidash, right?

ZU Art Thread | dA
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Grand Moff
View Posts: 212

I loved all the Disney movies, my nan owned all of them from Snow White up to Mulan, so I spent my childhood watching them

But as far as shows go, it was before my time, but my favourite cartoon show ever was the Wacky Races!! (so much so that I bought the DVD). I know that Wonderland (an amusment park that used to be here in Australia) had a Hanna Barbera land section, but that closed before I was old enough to truly appeciate it...
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Big Damn Hero
Send a message via Skype™ to Galedeep
View Posts: 13,253

Oh snap we can include movies.

Well, every Disney film up to about The Lion King I'd say. As well as

"Be nice to the environment" movies!

An American Tail, of course, but almost more importantly:

If I was creative enough to actually write music I'd make a concept album based on The Last Unicorn.

Tags
blues clues, cartoons, child, facebook, powerpuff