Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
Loptsided
Steam ID: FlorinaBelmont 3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

View Posts: 22,601
Re: My little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Oh yeah! I read that too. Her personality is Firefly. What i read was Hasbro lost the rights to nearly everything except the names Applejack and Spike. (from the Gen 1 era anyway) How did they? No idea and it seems odd. But thats why Faust had to change her concepts around. Twilight Sparkle was supposed to be just Twilight and her concept art was exactly like the original Twilight. Pinkie Pie was supposed to be Surprise but instead be more or less Up, Up, And Away. (a Gen1/2 pony.) (later Pinkie Pie from Gen 3) Fluttershy was supposed to be a Gen 1 pony named Posey. Rarity was supposed to be Glory. Applejack was the only one that really retained the old style because Hasbro still had her copyrighted. Same with Spike. His role is more or less the same too.

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
1 person liked this post: SoLaris
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Jiro
View Posts: 11,916

I think this is a good show. I hate this double standard, though, that guys can't take interest in feminine things, but girls can take interest in masculine things. I am a big animation fan, and I love the look of the show, and I love the plot. I wasn't into My Little Pony when I was younger, in fact, I don't think I knew about My Little Pony until 4 or 5 years ago, when I stopped getting into those kinds of things anyway. Uh, the characters are not Mary Sueish, which is my biggest complaint in television today, a lack of remotely humorous female characters. So, it gets a thumbs up for me. I like the revamp of the theme song, too.
2 people liked this post: Dragoon Fighter, Khaoabunga
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Sage of Wisdom
Wii U ID: WoodwindsRock 3DS ID: 1032-1351-5240
View Posts: 2,901

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHungryHippo View Post
I think this is a good show. I hate this double standard, though, that guys can't take interest in feminine things, but girls can take interest in masculine things.
The problem is not that guys have taken an interest in the show, it's that it's become an obvious internet fad and it's very hard to tell whether it's just a joke, or if it's an genuine like of the show for what it is.

I just saw somebody somewhere else with an MLP character themed avatar and signature come out and say "I don't actually watch the show, I just like this character". It's a meme character, so it probably should have been obvious, but I don't know. It just furthers the idea that it's become a joke. That's the problem, not guys liking the show. If you actually like it, like it all you want. Nobody should care.

------

#44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Jiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
The problem is not that guys have taken an interest in the show, it's that it's become an obvious internet fad and it's very hard to tell whether it's just a joke, or if it's an genuine like of the show for what it is.

I just saw somebody somewhere else with an MLP character themed avatar and signature come out and say "I don't actually watch the show, I just like this character". It's a meme character, so it probably should have been obvious, but I don't know. It just furthers the idea that it's become a joke. That's the problem, not guys liking the show. If you actually like it, like it all you want. Nobody should care.
Well then they obviously aren't a brony, because a brony is a male fan of the show.
  #45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Banned User
View Posts: 30,586

So Pony fans, I've noticed a lot of you have started taking Pony-related usernames. Mind if I join you all? I was thinking of using Sonic Rainboom since Sturge is already using Rainbow Crash, which is essentially Rainbow Dash, who is my favorite Pony. xP
  #46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Gone
View Posts: 175

I would probably want to be called Star Shine because that was the random name I came up with for a MLP that we found in a box of toys at a youth group I used to attend. Me and my friend used them as avatars and acted out some silly romantic drama with them. Hers was huffy because Star Shine is a bit of a slut. Twas fun.
  #47 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-23-2011, 06:54 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
Loptsided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

I hear ya there. Thats...why i asked about the draw to the show by male fans. I thought it was some sort of meme or joke or irony. It turns out most "bronies" actually dig it for what it is. I choose this sig and avatar set and name because i actually really like the character! Shes my favorite! (i even bought her figure today! Her and Rarity!)

Ran, go with Sonic Rainboom. Fluttershy doesnt fit you in the least, Applejack might because shes so brutally honest. Pinkie Pie? No way. Rarity isnt yer style either.

#48 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,203

I wanted to do a play on words with Fluttershy for my username in light of her sexy deep voice in the episode with the Zebra, but I can't think of anything that isn't slightly racist. Is there a singer with a really deep voice that sounds like her in that episode that I could try to work with?

Spoiler: This is what I'm referring to  
Last Edited by Soli; 06-23-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason:
  #49 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-23-2011, 07:00 PM
Banned User
View Posts: 30,586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sparkle View Post
Ran, go with Sonic Rainboom. Fluttershy doesnt fit you in the least, Applejack might because shes so brutally honest. Pinkie Pie? No way. Rarity isnt yer style either.
Well yeah, I agree. I don't think Princess Celestia or Prince Blueblood fit me either lol.

So I'll go with Sonic Rainboom then! Cause I love that move of Dash's!

EDIT: Hummus: The zebra is Zecora, just to let you know.
Last Edited by Sonic Rainboom; 06-23-2011 at 07:02 PM. Reason:
  #50 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Loptsided

(Should have been Sonic Ranboom )

Oh Hummus, i believe some call her with the man voice: "Flutterguy"

#51 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,203

Oh yeah! I remember that now! Though I just remembered an even more amazing horse So nevermind.

I'm definitely showing this program to my kids someday, and I don't care if he's a boy, he's watching it goddamnit.
Last Edited by Soli; 06-23-2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason:
  #52 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Burning hooves means Littlepip is watching...
Send a message via AIM to Puck
View Posts: 15,588

Pony Names? Who Would Be So Garish As To Do Such A Thing. I Ask You?
2 people liked this post: Florina Laufeyson, Kikaider
  #53 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Local owner of the blandest signature and user title around
View Posts: 105

It looks like the 'Brony' community has piqued interest from another journalist, this time with Yahoo's 'Shine'.
For those who haven't seen it yet: Why grown men are obsessed with My Little Pony - Love + Sex on Shine

It's not exactly overly positive, and the last paragraph doesn't really do any justice for Male fans (Additionally the writer fails to mention that there are also Female fans), but it's a whole lot better than the last few articles and mentions of it in the media.
Lots of negative comments for the first few pages, but it looks like people caught on and a whole flock of fans arrived, last like 40 comments are all from fans.
  #54 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Dragoon Fighter Dragoon Fighter is a male United States Dragoon Fighter is offline
Tenguman
View Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurikine View Post
It looks like the 'Brony' community has piqued interest from another journalist, this time with Yahoo's 'Shine'.
For those who haven't seen it yet: Why grown men are obsessed with My Little Pony - Love + Sex on Shine

It's not exactly overly positive, and the last paragraph doesn't really do any justice for Male fans (Additionally the writer fails to mention that there are also Female fans), but it's a whole lot better than the last few articles and mentions of it in the media.
Lots of negative comments for the first few pages, but it looks like people caught on and a whole flock of fans arrived, last like 40 comments are all from fans.
Sigh, unfortunately a lot of people are not very understanding, and we still live in a very sexist culture unfortunately. I mean look at the fox news report on us, you would think guys liking ponies is worse then drugs (but not terrorism). Also the people on Fox are ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡s anyway, but whatever.

Last Edited by Dragoon Fighter; 06-23-2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason:
  #55 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Loptsided

Oh that. I saw a Wired article about the same thing. The Wired article is more positive but the comments made me facehoof! Its just not fair! So its ok for my 7 year old niece to like Star Wars but its not ok for a boy her age to like ponies? Oh how about a 17 year old boy who likes ponies? Or a 25 year old MAN who likes ponies!!! No one bats an eyelash when a man is seen in the theater where hes seeing a girly film like Sex In The City. What if he wasnt dragged there by his girlfriend!! D:<

Its true! So many bronies like the show without irony and people just...ugh...theyre being horrible about it. At least the creators of the show embrace the idea.

#56 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Local owner of the blandest signature and user title around
View Posts: 105

The Wired article is apparently what set this all in motion, Fox and NPR picked up and did their own segments, naturally Fox did the typical job of bashing something that seems odd (The Man-baby comparison pisses me off to no end).

All of the Reports pretty much keep going to the Wired article to pick out the details from the older 30 year old man who happens to be unemployed, which is easy for any reporter to twist. Tt'd be nice if one of these News Agencies/Journalists actually took the time to interview some more of us rather then reusing the same interview.
  #57 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 07:20 AM
Jiro

Why are guys getting flack for watching a television show and liking it? That's like saying if girls like action movies they should be prepared for chastisement. Seriously. Being a fan of a television show should not be a huge deal. So what if it is My Little Pony? If it is a quality show, does it matter what name it is?
  #58 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 08:13 AM
Poprocks*
Steam ID: lunchboxzu
View Posts: 16,245

i watched the one about zebra racism and I learned that zebras are ponies too

i liekd th part wher they lerned morals
  #59 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Trans Lesbian Space Dragon
Send a message via Skype™ to Αlexandria
View Posts: 2,818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchbox* View Post

zebras aren't ponies weren't you listening
  #60 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Dragoon Fighter Dragoon Fighter is a male United States Dragoon Fighter is offline
Tenguman
View Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchbox* View Post

...Zecora is not a pony. Regardless when it comes to race based moral lessons of tolerance episode 21, Over a Barrel has Bridle Gossip beat.

Closed Thread

Tags
20% cooler, applejack, bowser's big blast, eeeyup, everyone hug blizz now, fluttershy, granny smith is best pony, luna is the best pony, nayru is best pony, nayru is glorious, oh wait, ponies are awesome, rainbow douche, rarity is fabulous, snape is the best pony, tank is the best pony, toilet dreads, trixie is best pony, twilight is best pony