Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#61 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-20-2010, 02:38 PM
DIE THE DEATH! SENTANCE TO DEATH! GREAT EQUALIZER IS DEATH!
Send a message via Skype™ to Snow_Storm
View Posts: 9,454
Re: Hip Hop - General Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I hope you're not being serious. I'm not a big fan of calling music ****, but that was.. Well, ****. Slow and boring. Plus, his vocals seems to be off rhythm a few times, perhaps it's just me. I wonder if he's just trollin'.
He has assburgers so of course hilarious results will be followed.

The affluenza made me do it
  #62 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-20-2010, 05:21 PM
View Posts: n/a

He actually has autism. And of course I'm kidding, everyone knows he sucks. The only good thing about him is that he's form the Twin Cities.
  #63 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-20-2010, 06:11 PM
something
View Posts: 2,418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke$ha View Post
He actually has autism. And of course I'm kidding, everyone knows he sucks. The only good thing about him is that he's form the Twin Cities.
Yeah, I heard they said it in the video after watching it again earlier today. Props for him doing what he wants without caring what anyone else thinks though.
  #64 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-20-2010, 06:33 PM
destroy space lincoln
Send a message via AIM to forte Send a message via Skype™ to forte
View Posts: 14,422

What are your guys's all time favorite rap songs?

For me, it's essentially impossible to choose. But gun to my head: I'd pick "Gone" by Kanye West.

He's my favorite rapper and made THAT song. I've never gotten over it since I first heard it. The instrumental is beyond beautiful. Almost get a tear at that break. Lyrically, it's incredible. All the verses are incredible. Great flow on everybody's part. Perfect pacing. Nothing to complain about with "Gone"

Last Edited by forte; 12-20-2010 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #65 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-20-2010, 06:46 PM
View Posts: n/a

Right now I'm pretty into 6'7 by Lil Wayne. Damn sick rhymes.

*****, real Gs move in silence like lasagna
  #66 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 353

Be, by Common. I know it's just an intro but every time it comes up on Shuffle I just feel so inspired, yet so calmed. One of my favorite beats ever by Kanye, and Common's voice just adds so much to the song.

#67 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Swiggty Swag, whats in the bag?
Send a message via Skype™ to Nox
View Posts: 10,089

Common eh? Saw him live in concert, he's quite amazing:

One of my favorite songs from Common. Laidback beat. Classic Chicago style.

Anyway, anybody have some good bboy music to suggest? I'm really interested in the genre.

Artwork. Why not critique so I can get better, plz :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I have a friend who once asked me if vaginas had taste buds. Because of flavored condoms.

We were 17
  #68 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Big Damn Hero
Send a message via Skype™ to Galedeep
View Posts: 13,251

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolan View Post
Apparently Weezy is going to be performing with Eminem on SNL in a few weeks.

If they do "No Love" I will die happy.
THEY DID AND IT WAS WONDERFUL

Backing band is ridiculous.
  #69 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-02-2011, 03:06 AM
Drengr_Hogosha Drengr_Hogosha is a male United States Drengr_Hogosha is offline
Anouki
View Posts: 33

Hip hop and rap are mostly just annoying. Ghost from 5FPD + shotgun + his angry amazingness = rap and hip hop are dead. That is the end of the story.

Last Edited by Drengr_Hogosha; 01-02-2011 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #70 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-02-2011, 09:13 AM
F.O.E. Hunter
Send a message via AIM to Hoopy Frood
View Posts: 6,517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drengr_Hogosha View Post
Hip hop and rap are mostly just annoying. Ghost from 5FPD + shotgun + his angry amazingness = rap and hip hop are dead. That is the end of the story.
  #71 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-02-2011, 02:39 PM
something
View Posts: 2,418

Quote:
Last Edited by Nico; 01-02-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #72 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Anouki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
It is the expressment of an opinion. To me, such music (and the music itself, not the artists, or any actual person/s associated with it, at all) is dead, and Metalcore is its murderer. That doesn't mean it can't be alive for someone else. We are all entitled to our opinions, which is exactly the way it should be

#73 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Operator please
View Posts: 8,629

My favourite single, I could never settle on, but I know my favourite album for sure - Qwel and Maker's So Be It.

EDIT: **** it, my favourite single.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

I feel like such the odd one out here, my hiphop tastes are really atypical. I tend not like the big names; Lupe I don't mind from time to time, but Drake, Kanye West, Eminem, they're just not my thing. My list of awesome artists would be (in no particular order):

Aesop Rock
P.O.S
Ant
Slug
Qwel
Maker
Qwazaar
Denizen Kane
MF DOOM
Madvillain
Mestizo
Deltron 3030
Murs
Matisyahu
Mos Def
El-P

Currently listening to Felt:

Last Edited by Crab Helmet; 01-02-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #74 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-02-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
It is the expressment of an opinion. To me, such music (and the music itself, not the artists, or any actual person/s associated with it, at all) is dead, and Metalcore is its murderer. That doesn't mean it can't be alive for someone else. We are all entitled to our opinions, which is exactly the way it should be
Oh boy, so now you're justifying your opinion that saying one genre of music killed another genre!

That's not how it works. Certain genre's of music just fade into obscurity. Hip-hop is far from dead, seeing as it began only 30 years ago and yeah, while there are trashy mainstream "artists" it doesn't mean the genre itself is dead.

Oh and for the record, metalcore was ruined the day a bunch of whiney emo kids from the suburbs started listening to it. Hell, whiney emo kids from the suburb ruin everything that could be a good idea. Rap metal? Yep, it was those little brats and their love of Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit. Good white boy rappers? Blame Asher Roth's single (his mixtapes are sick though).

Quote:
I have a friend who once asked me if vaginas had taste buds. Because of flavored condoms.

We were 17
  #75 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Operator please
View Posts: 8,629

Being fair, early Linkin Park is good and I stand by this, and very very occasionally you can see the old genius flash through (Blackout from Thousand Suns is actually fairly good), but yeah their new stuff is pretty terrible.

Limp Bizkit was never good.
  #76 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Anouki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post
Oh boy, so now you're justifying your opinion that saying one genre of music killed another genre!

That's not how it works. Certain genre's of music just fade into obscurity. Hip-hop is far from dead, seeing as it began only 30 years ago and yeah, while there are trashy mainstream "artists" it doesn't mean the genre itself is dead.

Oh and for the record, metalcore was ruined the day a bunch of whiney emo kids from the suburbs started listening to it. Hell, whiney emo kids from the suburb ruin everything that could be a good idea. Rap metal? Yep, it was those little brats and their love of Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit. Good white boy rappers? Blame Asher Roth's single (his mixtapes are sick though).
Opinions can't be justified. By definition, there is no way to logically justify something that isn't fact, because all the possible evidence is entirely subjective. Not only this, but I said 'to me'. I meant that in my mind, and my mind alone, the genre is dead, ashes, gone, non-existent, obsolete, irrelevent, useless etc. by Metalcore's hand. My own mind is the scene of the crime. It extends no further. And I don't really give a **** about the 'whiney emo kids'. I like what I like because I like it, independent of anyone and everyone else.

Last Edited by Drengr_Hogosha; 01-02-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #77 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-02-2011, 06:31 PM

That's a weak argument, using the ol "its my opinion lol" argument. Yes, and so is everyone elses opinion in the thread.

Look, if there was a thread about metalcore and somebody bashed it, one person is going to defend it. Durh.

Quote:

We were 17
  #78 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Zora Warrior

Quote:
Opinions can't be justified. By definition, there is no way to logically justify something that isn't fact, because all the possible evidence is entirely subjective. Not only this, but I said 'to me'. I meant that in my mind, and my mind alone, the genre is dead, ashes, gone, non-existent, obsolete, irrelevent, useless etc. by Metalcore's hand. My own mind is the scene of the crime. It extends no further. And I don't really give a **** about the 'whiney emo kids'. I like what I like because I like it, independent of anyone and everyone else.
Wtf, Inception?

Anyways, you can't say "through my opinion metalcore killed rap!" or whatever you're trying to get across. That's like saying "In my opinion, the Germans won WWII". Honestly, I don't think anyone cares that you dont' like hip-hop or rap, you can like whatever you want, but to go out and say an obscure genre killed an entirely unrelated genre of music is kind of idiotic. Especially considering that you're justifying this outrageous claim by saying it's "your opinion."
  #79 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Anouki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPepper00 View Post
Wtf, Inception?

Anyways, you can't say "through my opinion metalcore killed rap!" or whatever you're trying to get across. That's like saying "In my opinion, the Germans won WWII". Honestly, I don't think anyone cares that you dont' like hip-hop or rap, you can like whatever you want, but to go out and say an obscure genre killed an entirely unrelated genre of music is kind of idiotic. Especially considering that you're justifying this outrageous claim by saying it's "your opinion."
-.- no one seems to understand what I was trying to say. The metaphor has obviously failed...

What you have misunderstood:

1. You are taking the statement out of the context of my subjective mind and projecting it into the physical and objective world. I never said 'metalcore killed rap' without adding 'to me' or 'for me'. My positive perceptions of Metalcore have negatively affected my perceptions of rap and hip hop. That is what I meant. That is ALL I meant. And no, it is entirely different from claiming something false about something factual. Sometimes, people say things that are not meant to be taken literally. Such as Jonathan Swift's 'A Modest Proposal'. It has proven likely that some of you would miss his point also and not hestitate in claiming that he's a horrible person for advocating cannibalism.

2. My statement is not a claim. To be a claim, it has to be about something physical, and therefore external, which it is not. When I said 'Metalcore', I meant 'my personal experieces of Metalcore solidified into a single symbolic entity within my psyche'. The same with 'hip hop and rap'. In my head, the symbol of Metlcore symbolically 'killed' my mental symbol of hip hop. I explained this by removing the mentioning of symbols and creating a metaphor (and only a metaphor). I then extended the metaphor to help explain my original statement (rap and hip hop can be 'alive' for anyone else that enjoys them. Sound familar?).

To help clarify, so that even those who have apparently never been exposed to common literary devices can understand...

X is dead = I dislike X

Y is alive = I like Y

X is dead because of Y = My positive opinion of Y has led to a negative opinion of X

3. Opinions can't be justified. You don't ask someone 'what is your favorite color?', they reply 'blue', and then tell them to back track and reach their conclusion of 'blue' logically. Opinions just ARE. They have no other reasons besides the personality of the individual. So to conlude:

I dislike rap and hip hop.

I like metalcore.

Metalcore has caused me to dislike hip hop and rap.

I am in no way, shape, or form claiming that somehow metal has stifled and eradicated rap as a current musical genre, and I agree that such a claim would be absurd.

And now I will shut up, because if you still don't understand, then you are beyond my ability to help. And I'll try to remember to be less abstract in the future, and monotonously say exactly what it is that I mean as if I am doing an algebraic proof, because subtlety and creativity is obviously wasted here.

Last Edited by Drengr_Hogosha; 01-02-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #80 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Zora Warrior

pffft haha, You're long, cryptic post obviously shows insecurity in the point you are trying to pass along.
You say you are using metaphors for symbols for genres of music in your mind, or something rather (It was difficult to decipher based on your somewhat convoluted post), but this is taken directly from your first post in the thread:

Quote:
I don't see any indication of "metaphors", "symbols", or opinions in here. It seems to me that you mistakenly believed whatever type of music you liked was superior to rap/hip-hop, and after realizing the errors of your ways, you are now backtracking and trying to create a point.

Tags
cudi, hippin and hoppin, lupe, rap