Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#161 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Who told you I was paranoid? Was it the government?
View Posts: 992
Re: The Avengers (2012)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
You want them to kill off Captain America already? Jeez, the dude JUST came out of his stasis. Plus Stark's character isn't really in a place where he'd think government registration is a good idea yet. They're a long way from a point where Civil War would make sense.
No one dies in comics. Steve is alive after Civil War. Bucky replaced him for a while as Cap, then when it's revealed that Steve is alive, Steve handed the mantle of Captain America to Bucky. Steve formed New Avengers and he's now wearing a similar outfit to Cap but without the mask and shield. Current events is that Bucky died and Steve is back to be Cap, but Bucky is not really dead. Bucky is now Nick Fury's personal black ops as Winter Soldier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galedeep View Post
What non-Avengers characters? Every character featured on the movie team has been a fixture of the Avengers roster at one point or another.
What I mean by non-Avengers is that if they are going to make the movie with the Civil War plot, they have to cut out Daredevil, Moon Knight, Punisher, Cable, Deadpool, Doctor Strange, the Fantastic Four, X-Men, Thunderbolts, Inhumans etc. Spiderman and Wolverine too, but they became an Avenger at one time. It would be too ambitious if they all include that.
Last Edited by Araneaes; 05-04-2012 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #162 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Big Damn Hero
Send a message via Skype™ to Galedeep
Steam ID: nolanam
View Posts: 13,514

Loved it. It's my favourite superhero movie. I was ready to just go to the next showing and watch it again, I enjoyed it so much. I had high expectations, and it surpassed them all, as only Joss Whedon could pull off. I have many other THOUGHTS and FEELINGS but I'm still processing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneaes View Post
No one dies in comics. Steve is alive after Civil War. Bucky replaced him for a while as Cap, then when it's revealed that Steve is alive, Steve handed the mantle of Captain America to Bucky. Steve formed New Avengers and he's now wearing a similar outfit to Cap but without the mask and shield. Current events is that Bucky died and Steve is back to be Cap, but Bucky is not really dead. Bucky is now Nick Fury's personal black ops as Winter Soldier.

What I mean by non-Avengers is that if they are going to make the movie with the Civil War plot, they have to cut out Daredevil, Moon Knight, Punisher, Cable, Deadpool, Doctor Strange, the Fantastic Four, X-Men, Thunderbolts, Inhumans etc. Spiderman and Wolverine too, but they became an Avenger at one time. It would be too ambitious if they all include that.
Movies aren't comic books.
3 people liked this post: Bravo, Iron Fist, princesspanty
  #163 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 03:20 AM
The Living Weapon
Send a message via Skype™ to Iron Fist
View Posts: 418

Civil war just would not work at all.
Making an Avengers movie right now and a Civil war too soon would be too cheap. This is the first Avengers movie, and Civil war took place after more than 50years in the Avenger's story, enough to show the steps before civil war, that is the skrull-kree war using earth as a battlefield, and Avengers Disassembled, etc. To prove that the team was no longer solid and their mentality were not the same to the old comics.

Cap and Tin head have just recently got their movies. People who have not read the comics think they are good heroes, they do not expect to see these 2 fighting suddenly for no reason.
  #164 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Movies aren't comic books.
Not sure what you're quoting me for but if you're quoting me about Steve's death in the comics because "no one really dies in comics", it can be applied to movies as well. The protagonist always comes back or be left to the viewers to think if the protagonist is alive or not. It's type of a "twist".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxChong7 View Post
Civil war just would not work at all.
Making an Avengers movie right now and a Civil war too soon would be too cheap. This is the first Avengers movie, and Civil war took place after more than 50years in the Avenger's story, enough to show the steps before civil war, that is the skrull-kree war using earth as a battlefield, and Avengers Disassembled, etc. To prove that the team was no longer solid and their mentality were not the same to the old comics.

Cap and Tin head have just recently got their movies. People who have not read the comics think they are good heroes, they do not expect to see these 2 fighting suddenly for no reason.
It can be explained there. It can be a three-part movie and won't make any connections to their individual movies nor this movie. It's a stand-alone. Civil War will not be everyone's super-hero flick like the Watchmen.
This won't happen though, like I said, it's way too ambitious and will probably take like 20 producers to make it. Just really want to see Cap and Stark duking it out. An animated movie would be a great alternative but Marvel's animated movies are not really that good imo.
  #165 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 05:42 AM
Goron
Send a message via Skype™ to Fatrat92
Steam ID: fatrat92
View Posts: 234

The Avengers. It was a great movie, but it did have its problems.

My main one being, the movie tried to make too many jokes. I enjoy a funny movie as much as the next person, but I would of preferred a more serious film with maybe a joke here and then. The other problem I had was that the movie was more focused on Ironman than that of any of the other Avengers. Even though Ironman is one of my favourite superheroes it could of focused more on the others, especially Hawkeye who I thought was underrated.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
1 person liked this post: tnf
  #166 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Goron
Send a message via Skype™ to Fatrat92
Steam ID: fatrat92
View Posts: 234

Quote:
It's weird because that's in direct contradiction of what everyone else is saying: that the humor keeps it from being too overblown and that each character gets their due screen time and allowed to shine.
It's just my opinion. Even the people I saw the movie with had a different view that I did.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
  #167 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 08:40 AM

Give them Batman and they'll all get gloomy and serious. XD
Who is the Avengers' Batman counterpart anyway? o.O It's definitely not Tony Stark.
  #168 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Big Damn Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneaes View Post
Not sure what you're quoting me for but if you're quoting me about Steve's death in the comics because "no one really dies in comics", it can be applied to movies as well. The protagonist always comes back or be left to the viewers to think if the protagonist is alive or not. It's type of a "twist".
In general, I'm referring to the fact that very few comic books, and essentially no on-going comic books, could have any sort of direct adaptation to the screen. The way stories are told between the two media is so fundamentally different that it would be exceptionally difficult to create an enjoyable movie out of most comic book arcs without making some big changes. That goes for Civil War, Disassembled, or any other major or minor comic arc.

The exception would be self-contained comic books/graphic novels that have a definitive beginning, middle and end. It's why Sin City worked so well as essentially a line-for-line frame-for-frame adaptation.

There certainly could be the kind of "nobody really dies" kind of thing in a film adaptation, but it would wholly unnecessary and would cheapen the storytelling. It's a necessity in comics because comic books are literally all second act, nothing ever resolves, the story always has to continue, so nothing is ever "final." Movies are structured differently, a good movie has three acts which includes a satisfying conclusion, and once you start to undercut the conclusion by keeping it open-ending by allowing dead people to return, you're undercutting the drama of the piece and making it harder for the audience to get emotionally invested. Unless the writer/producers can really earn the revival.
2 people liked this post: Bravo, Lunchbox*
  #169 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 09:43 AM
I have done nothing but teleport bread for three days!
Send a message via Skype™ to Keith
Steam ID: Rantick
View Posts: 7,171

I just got back. I really wish I had seen it in 3D, but that was pretty awesome. Professor Professorsden was a good actor for Bruce, and I thought the whole movie worked really well.

Though the audience for the film pissed me off. There was a guy sitting behind me who pointed out a bunch of not incredibly important things, but things like when The Hulk punched Thor, or when he used Loki as a toy ragdoll. Still funny ❤❤❤❤ though.

Oh and Stan Lee's cameo was disappointing. Where was the hotdog stand?

But damn, that film was amazing. It just... wow.

Luka: slam a bottle of champagne into my arse first
Last Edited by Keith; 05-05-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #170 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 10:15 AM
The Comeback Kid
Send a message via AIM to Notsil Send a message via Skype™ to Notsil
Steam ID: LTK419 Wii U ID: ZachtotheFuture

View Posts: 13,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageJasmine147 View Post
Even if they did add Hawkeye at short notice because of the bandwagon-Katniss thing.
Last Edited by Notsil; 05-05-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Bravo
  #171 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 10:32 AM
princesspanty princesspanty is a female United States princesspanty is offline
valar morghulis
Send a message via Skype™ to princesspanty
View Posts: 2,836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Though the audience for the film pissed me off. There was a guy sitting behind me who pointed out a bunch of not incredibly important things, but things like when The Hulk punched Thor, or when he used Loki as a toy ragdoll. Still funny ❤❤❤❤ though.

Yeah the audience was very annoying. We had to wait on a line looping the entire theater and already people were acting like ❤❤❤❤ heads. Every time something happened they clapped. They booed at all the previews and shouted their opinions on everything. It was very annoying.
  #172 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 10:37 AM
The Living Weapon

Quote:
I'd say the closest analog Marvel has to Batman (outside of the Squadron Supreme and things like that) is Daredevil.
I would say Moon Knight.
They both have no Super powers and are rich. The main differences are that Batman wears black and lurks in the dark to get his enemies(I guess that's why you said Daredevil, and I don't disagree) and Moon Knight wears white so his foes see him coming. Batman's got Albert at his side and Moon Knight has Frenchie to help him. They both use kind of similar gadgets, they have their motorcycles, Wayne's got batarangs and Marc has Crescent blades of the same function.

EDIT: Black Panther Has his similarities too now that I think of it, I mean his costume. I haven't read much of his comics so I cannot tell if his personality is similar to Bat's.
Last Edited by Iron Fist; 05-05-2012 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #173 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Jiro
View Posts: 11,916

I will see this when it isn't crowded at theaters. I can't stand when the crowds act like turds. I had to deal with it when Star Trek came out, I'm not going through that this time.
  #174 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 10:41 AM
#Dysphoriyawn

View Posts: 16,382

The Avengers was an anticipated event. I was determined to watch it on opening day. It was a great experience full of action, humour, violence, and chaos. The fight scenes were engaging, and the plot was very well-thought out. I was, in no way, disappointed with the movie.

HUGE SPOILER QUESTION BELOW
who was the guy in the other realm that was talking to Loki? If you stayed after the credits, you could see the side of his face. Who is he?
1 person liked this post: Bravo
  #175 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Big Damn Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor Sicarius View Post
HUGE SPOILER QUESTION BELOW
who was the guy in the other realm that was talking to Loki? If you stayed after the credits, you could see the side of his face. Who is he?
Thanos, a character who is literally in love with death. Hence the smirk when the other guy tells him to attack Earth is to court death.
  #176 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Kingslayer

View Posts: 28,331

I just felt like commenting on the whole Hawkeye and chick from Hunger Games (note: I haven't seen either movie)

but i mean
how many poses can you have for an archer?

its like either they've pulled back the string and are aiming, their bow is on their back, or they're holding it and running or something.
  #177 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 11:51 AM
#Dysphoriyawn

View Posts: 16,382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamzee View Post
I just felt like commenting on the whole Hawkeye and chick from Hunger Games (note: I haven't seen either movie)

but i mean
how many poses can you have for an archer?

its like either they've pulled back the string and are aiming, their bow is on their back, or they're holding it and running or something.
In the movie, Iron Man makes a comment about Hawkeye and calls him Legolas
3 people liked this post: Coconut Water, Florina Laufeyson, Spidey
  #178 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 11:51 AM
The Living Weapon

Or holding it while falling from a building
  #179 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Fighter of the Nightman.
View Posts: 8,875

"puny god"

heh.
  #180 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-05-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I'd say the closest analog Marvel has to Batman (outside of the Squadron Supreme and things like that) is Daredevil. Along with Iron Man and Hulk, he's always been one of my three favorite Marvel heroes, ever since I was a kid. I really hope Daredevil reverts to Marvel.
Yeah, I think it's Daredevil too in the whole MU. He's like a poor version of Bruce Wayne. But I'm talking about only in the Avengers, not the whole MU. It would be interesting to see if the Avengers gets a Batman figure. Dark, paranoid, knows everyone behind the costume, does the dirty work and willing to immobilize heroes to the point of death just in case they went amok/rouge.

Quote:
In general, I'm referring to the fact that very few comic books, and essentially no on-going comic books, could have any sort of direct adaptation to the screen. The way stories are told between the two media is so fundamentally different that it would be exceptionally difficult to create an enjoyable movie out of most comic book arcs without making some big changes. That goes for Civil War, Disassembled, or any other major or minor comic arc.

The exception would be self-contained comic books/graphic novels that have a definitive beginning, middle and end. It's why Sin City worked so well as essentially a line-for-line frame-for-frame adaptation.
Not saying that it should be 100% spot on like the comics. They can shorten and cut out the unnecessary parts and characters. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think major comic book arcs just have like 10-15 major volumes that has a connection to the storyline. That's like the same amount of a stand alone comic book like 300. The other volumes only shows how minor characters get to point A to point B.
Quote:
Movies are structured differently, a good movie has three acts which includes a satisfying conclusion, and once you start to undercut the conclusion by keeping it open-ending by allowing dead people to return, you're undercutting the drama of the piece and making it harder for the audience to get emotionally invested. Unless the writer/producers can really earn the revival.
A cliffhanger ending can't be all that bad. If done right, it can be good, like Inception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsil View Post
Spoiler:  
Actors train themselves for their role and stunts. It's unavoidable that they'll come up with the same pose because both actors trained themselves in archery. Take Jackie Chan and Jet Li for example, both of them uses the same pose of that drunken martial art.