Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Helga G. Pataki (you don't need to know what the g stand for either)
View Posts: 114
Old Cartoons vs. new cartoons

I was standing around not doing much when I decided to turn on the TV and see if I could see a few modern cartoons. I was shocked and disturbed by a few of the shows I saw and thought that this was because I had grown out of cartoons. So I decided to look up a few of my cartoons on youtube and found that I still liked them. And don't say I'm really old cause the cartoons I'm talking about are Hey Arnold and the like vs flapjack and adventure time. I watched the modern stuff and thought to myself so this is why my cousins are so disturbed. I wanted to get other peoples opinions on how more recent cartoons stack up to what they had as kids. And you should probably give reasons so the moderators don't get mad.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Divine Dragoon
Steam ID: CodyDaviesTV Wii U ID: DragoonCody

View Posts: 14,965
Re: Old Cartoons vs. new cartoons

I don't think you can just say that modern cartoons are better or worse or more disturbing or less disturbing, because there are good and bad cartoons no matter which year you're looking at, and there are crazy shows and realistic shows no matter which year you're looking at.

For example, Ren and Stimpy is an old show (20 years old), and yet it is crazy and random and is filled with toilet humour. It wasn't alone either - there were plenty of other weird "disturbing" shows on like Rocko's Modern Life at the same time. On the other hand, there are high-quality modern shows that are "good clean family fun", such as Phineas and Ferb, and the Avatar the Last Airbender show.

#3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Mogma
View Posts: 168

The old cartoon's are the best tom and jerry,looney tunes,droopy dog etc but cartoons today are terrible. the simpsons have gone down hill. beavis and butthead was a classic which is no longer shown. family guys good but no where near as good as the 1930's 40's or 50,s cartoon's where did it go wrong?
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2010, 02:25 PM
FOOL!
Steam ID: Pandora216
View Posts: 563

i love the new cartoons, Chowder and Adventure Time are very funny and disturbing at the same time but thats what i enjoy about them, Avatar the Last Airbender is an amazing show and opened something new to a new Generation( siad from The last Airbender Revealed, which i saw yesterday) and is popular with all audiences its cartoons like these that get the attention of children these days(i would know), Old Cartoons are well... boring to me i don't find them entertaining at all, just boring. i have boomerang on my T.V. and i can't stand watching those shows they don't appeal to me, there are shows that my parents grew up with and i can't stand them. Face it guys time is changing and so are the audiences of T.V.

New Cartoons are better and more entertaining in my opinion.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2010, 07:48 PM

I wasn't exactly talking boomerang stuff in age lvl. (Looney Toons maybe) I grew up in the 90s not the 60s or 70s. the stuff i watched as a kid included Hey Arnold, Doug, and scoby doo(don't laugh). I liked stuff like The Last airbender bender and Ben 10, maybe a few others like code lyoko but I also say that I for the life of me can't find stuff like the shows I used to watch. Stuff seems to dissapear from memory and I watched that stuff a scant 10 years ago. Heck code lyoko a show that i also liked up until a few years ago because they stopped showing it and i can't even find it on the internet (yes i watch cartoons at 18 bite me). I don't understand how things could change so drastically in such a short period of time is what I'm saying.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2010, 08:00 PM
destroy space lincoln
Send a message via AIM to forte Send a message via Skype™ to forte
View Posts: 14,423

I hate when people say old cartoons are better. No they're not. And this is coming from somebody who once had a long conversation on MSN about Courage the Cowardly Dog. I think it was at least a 2 hour convo but I could be wrong. The thing is, as a kid you seem to love EVERY cartoon. Now, if I were to watch some of those cartoons again, they wouldn't be as good. Yes, Courage is still amazing to me, and sure the Angry Beavers were hilarious, and of course Hey Arnold was a classic. Etc etc. But will I let nostalgia fool me into believing that Two Stupid Dogs even compares to the likes of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends or The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack? Hell no. Old cartoons weren't better, it's just nostalgia. I love both old and new. Sure, the Mighty Bee sucks cock, and I know that my childhood contained classics like Dexter or Ed, Edd, and Eddy or Johnny Bravo. But if Foster's and Flapjack can't help you see my point, then you need to watch some shows called Megas XLR or The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy or Avatar the Last Airbender or mother****ing SAMURAI JACK

Last Edited by forte; 07-03-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Sleepy
View Posts: 1,505

Not really a fan of Flapjack... it just seems like a bad way to tell a pirate story with a plucky gay kid... ok maybe not like that but you get it. Foster's was amazing, not doubt about it. I do like some of the older cartoons, but those were just ones I liked more or less. Chowder is alright, but it is too much Toilet Humor. The Last Airbender was great, no matter what I compare it to, which makes me wonder why Nickolodeon went from Cartoons to Big Time Rush and True Jackson <_< NO ONE WANTS TO WATCH ABOUT A BUNCH OF OVERPRIVALIGED TEENS.

I liked Jimmy Neutron a lot, as well as the older Fairly Oddparents mainly because they were things to genuinely laugh at. I'm not a toiler humor person, and it feels like everything on TV now is Toilet Humor.

The big thing though, is Spongebob. UGH! Aight, it may be the nostalgia factor but I much rather preferred the old Spongebob shows. As far as art goes, yeah it looks prettier but it just isn't the same as before. The characters are different, and the plot lines are just confounded and weird. Does anyone else think that they sent this show down hill?

#8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2010, 08:59 PM
♫ It's the end of the world as we know it! ♫
View Posts: 9,440

^ Very. Plus, it seems like Spongebob is on WAY too much lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte View Post
Megas XLR
OH MY GOD I LOVED THAT SHOW WHY IS IT NEVER ON ANYMORE D:

But anyway, some old shows are good some new shows are good and age doesn't really have anything to do with it.
Although I have noticed that cartoon networks are showing an awful lot of bad tween sitcoms nowadays...

edit: Chowder is amazing.
Last Edited by King Kay; 07-03-2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2010, 10:16 PM

Again not saying that i dislike those shows (I actually loved half of what you listed though again FlapJack is something i cannot stand imo) however if that since of nostalgia you talk about seems to make those old shows seem better to me. I didn't actually love every cartoon as a kid I had likes and dislikes when captain planet came on I changed the channel like normal people.
By the way if your going to referance against Hey Arnold you might not want to do it with Samurai Jack. Hey Arnold was 96 - 04 Samurai Jack was 01 -04. lol.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2010, 10:39 PM
destroy space lincoln
Send a message via AIM to forte Send a message via Skype™ to forte
View Posts: 14,423

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kay View Post
OH MY GOD I LOVED THAT SHOW WHY IS IT NEVER ON ANYMORE D:
I dunno, but I loved it too. ****ing hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame13 View Post
Again not saying that i dislike those shows (I actually loved half of what you listed though again FlapJack is something i cannot stand imo) however if that since of nostalgia you talk about seems to make those old shows seem better to me. I didn't actually love every cartoon as a kid I had likes and dislikes when captain planet came on I changed the channel like normal people.
By the way if your going to referance against Hey Arnold you might not want to do it with Samurai Jack. Hey Arnold was 96 - 04 Samurai Jack was 01 -04. lol.
That's half a decade of difference between 96 and 01. 5 years is quite a while. I'd say it's safe to consider Hey Arnold old and Samurai Jack new. The span I don't see is really relevant. Simpsons is still running today and has been for years and it's still both old AND a classic. The end time is irrelevant the way I see it. We're simply talking about debut dates.

#11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2010, 10:59 PM

I always went with end dates though for some ungodly reason. But still Samurai Jack would be about 9 years old then by your standard. I'd say pushing a decade is getting close to being considered old. (I'm 18, old to me). That said classics like that seem to lose place when getting caught in the True Jackson, Zack and Cody, Spongebob coated hell nickolodeon has become. (spongebob was good in the beginning not so much now). When you see some of the modern stuff, it seems to lose It's connection to real life that some of the old shows had while holding satirical comedy that seem to somehow add reinforced morals. Like flapjack, you observe an over hyper individual following a pirate as a role model. The only voice of reason, bubby, is ignored constantly as kaknuckles(no idea if i spelled that right) leads them on a path to despair yet it always works out in the end (for flapjack at least, Ka-Knuckles might have a few problems but they ussually get fixed up to). With a lot of older stuff, even Ed,Edd,and Eddy, those that ussually do bad stuff somehow get punished in the end (Sarah or Kevin ussually made sure of it She was harsh but the I'm telling mom coment ussually implies that your doing something wrong).
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
It wasn't alone either - there were plenty of other weird "disturbing" shows on like Rocko's Modern Life at the same time.
Rocko's Modern Life was special though, it actually contained some noticable social commentary. Most of the episodes that centered around "Conglom-O" were pretty good. Many of the episodes were just about the neurosis of everyday life.

But alot of toilet humour did prevail.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 2,850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
I don't think you can just say that modern cartoons are better or worse or more disturbing or less disturbing, because there are good and bad cartoons no matter which year you're looking at, and there are crazy shows and realistic shows no matter which year you're looking at.

For example, Ren and Stimpy is an old show (20 years old), and yet it is crazy and random and is filled with toilet humour. It wasn't alone either - there were plenty of other weird "disturbing" shows on like Rocko's Modern Life at the same time. On the other hand, there are high-quality modern shows that are "good clean family fun", such as Phineas and Ferb, and the Avatar the Last Airbender show.
I still believe the majority of modern cartoons are creepy and stupid compared to the last gen cartoons.

"I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth."