$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#301 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Off-Key Anthem
View Posts: 10,346
Re: The Amazing Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofRedHelms View Post
The final battle seemed like it came a lot sooner than I expected. In all, the entire film seemed like it zoomed by. Basically, it has a long (but good) introduction, an epic third act, and a thin chain of events in between.
Yeah, the third act definitly just kinda happened, but I'm actually glad for the length of the movie, otherwise. Lots of time to develop the characters.

Quote:
Anyway, I suppose a tiny plot criticism of mine is that the Liquid Nitrogen just happened to be nearby for Spidey to use it. I'm not really a fan of battles that end that way, if you know what I mean.
Yeah, it did seem a bit convenient. I'm not entirely sure why they had that on the roof of Oscorp, anyway, but hey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I thought this movie was terrible.
I'd have to disagree with you there.

Quote:
Acting was okay, but I never really felt emotion for the characters in this one.
Holy ❤❤❤❤, Andrew Garfield. I nearly cried when Ben was telling him about his father's quote on responsibility and the focus goes to Peter's face and you just seem him crumple while Ben's still talking. You can't say that Garfield isn't capable.

I'd heard good things about Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben, and he does do a good job, but I wish the guy had joked around a bit more than he did. I felt more emotionally attached to the last Ben than I did this one, I guess. Or at least I was more bummed when he died. (I would have spoiler tagged that last sentence, but come on.) I guess I was expecting it in this one, when I didn't know much about Spider-Man's backstory going into the last movie as a kid.

Also, my hat off to Captain Stacey. Dude was excellent. Good dad. I liked the dynamic he had with Peter.

And Ifans did a pretty nice job of playing a really conflicted and sympathetic Curt Conners.

Quote:
Also, he seemed like he didn't care at all if people knew his true identity.
Yeaaaah, Pete took off his mask a bit more than I liked. Especially since he's like super serious about keeping his identity secret in the comics.

Quote:
the word spread so fast from that one occurance.
I was hoping for a shot of some Daily Bugle headline, but nah. :/ Any chance they could get J. K. Simmons involved in the franchise again? I'm really hoping they explore Peter's job at the paper in a future movie.

Quote:
I thought that was weird. And a lot of the time when he was fighting Lizard, they weren't even in the city.
I don't think that really mattered at all. And of the fights with the Lizard, half of them were in the city, or in view of the city skyline.

Quote:
And Curt Connors/Lizard seemed so smart, yet he thought that turning humans into these creatures was a great idea? Seemed unrealistic.
Dude, I dunno if you were hoping Conners' thought process would make any sense when he was all hopped up on chems (was that Oz? I heard something about Oz at some point) and talking to the giant lizard in his head all the time.

Quote:
And a lot of the cool scenes where Spiderman was swinging his webs in the city was at the end of the movie, not even during the actual action.
Again, did that matter at all? If you like seeing Spidey make poses in mid-air, then by all means, but really. Also, you have to keep in mind, in the third act, the dude had taken a bullet graze across the leg and was basically hopping around everywhere. And when he fought Lizard, the guy went right for Spidey's wrists and broke his web-slingers.

Quote:
I really thought this movie was just terrible.
Again, I'd just really, really, really have to disagree with you there.

The movie was everything I'd hoped for. Cast was great. Movie felt really fresh. And it was true what I was hearing about Webb bringing a bit more emotion into the story.

Also, Peter's sense of humor was in full swing* and I loved that.

*Anyone? Anyone?

Edit: ALSO, THE POST CREDITS SCENE: Who was that talking to Conners?? Was it Osborn? I had a notion it was Osborn, but I'm not sure.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

Good read about what may have been cut out of the movie, for those who've watched already: Was The Untold Story Cut From THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN? | Badass Digest
Last Edited by Holden; 07-06-2012 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Justin
  #302 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-05-2012, 11:47 PM
The ZU Paladin
Send a message via AIM to Janus Send a message via Skype™ to Janus
Steam ID: Janus3003
View Posts: 6,142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
Also, Peter's sense of humor was in full swing* and I loved that.
I dunno, I felt that the quips we heard in the trailer were the best the movie had to offer. I wouldn't say that "Aww, someone's been a bad lizard" is as bad as "It's you who's out, Gobby- out of your mind!", but it did make me cringe a bit.
  #303 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Does anyone even read these?
View Posts: 813

Anyone got any theories about who the man in the shadows is at the end? I've heard people say Mysterio and Electro but I personally believe its supposed to be the Chameleon. The Chameleon is the villain they usually use when dealing with peters parents so it makes sense. I hope its the Chameleon for no other reason than it means Kraven the hunter might make an appearance since they are brothers.
  #304 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-07-2012, 08:02 PM
The ZU Paladin
Send a message via AIM to Janus Send a message via Skype™ to Janus
Steam ID: Janus3003
View Posts: 6,142

^A lot of people have suggested it's Osborn.
Nice review, Iron Man/Bravo. I should probably see this movie again, as I wasn't in the best of moods when I watched it.
  #305 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Kingslayer

View Posts: 28,239

I haven't seen the movie yet but I'm really looking forward to it. Toby just seemed incredibly awkward through each movie that he did (it was really the villains that made those movies for me, not him), but I do enjoy the one-liners and such that I've seen in the trailers. It gives it more of a comic book feel.

I'm not going to be surprised if I find this better than the first Spider-man with Green Goblin.
  #306 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-07-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
^A lot of people have suggested it's Osborn.
Nice review, Iron Man/Bravo. I should probably see this movie again, as I wasn't in the best of moods when I watched it.
Osborn is a definite possibility but I'd rather they do villains they haven't already done. Spider Man has an impressive rogues gallery filled with good villains to use.
  #307 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Off-Key Anthem

Osborn's going to be involved either way, but I have a hunch he'll use a proxy to carry out his plans, at least until he turns into the Goblin or something. Though I don't know if they'd consider putting Goblin in at any point in the new Trilogy seeing as the persona was so prominent in the last few movies.
Last Edited by Holden; 07-07-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #308 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-07-2012, 10:11 PM
zeldafan12z zeldafan12z is a female United States zeldafan12z is offline
-
View Posts: 507

I personally enjoyed this movie, although it was pretty much the exact same as the previous spiderman movie, just a little more modern.
  #309 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-07-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
Osborn's going to be involved either way, but I have a hunch he'll use a proxy to carry out his plans, at least until he turns into the Goblin or something. Though I don't know if they'd consider putting Goblin in at any point in the new Trilogy seeing as the persona was so prominent in the last few movies.
Maybe Osborn will start the sinister six.
  #310 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Battle routine, set! Execute!
View Posts: 4,653

At the beginning of this film, when I heard that Osborn was dying I kind of hoped that he wouldn't be involved with this adaption, and that spotlight would be on other villains not touched upon in the first film series.

Not that I don't think it can still be great. I can't wait for this movie to make a sequel, and I know how those words might generally sound. :P I personally believe that the man in the shadows in the post-credit scene is Osborn, but for a very superficial reason. The movements and voice of the man reminded me a lot of the first series' Green Goblin.

I don't know much about the Spiderman world, and I frankly don't enjoy comics. So seeing such an interesting story being told through film is an awesome treat that I hope will continue.
  #311 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Off-Key Anthem

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldafan12z View Post
I personally enjoyed this movie, although it was pretty much the exact same as the previous spiderman movie, just a little more modern.
Could you say how, exactly? Besides the obvious (spider-bite, Uncle Ben's death).
  #312 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Anouki
View Posts: 33

The 3 Spiderman movies are good but why the sudden rebooting of movie..?
Well anyway, I hope the new movie is good too..
  #313 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Guardian Dragon
View Posts: 2,177

WARNING: This post contains spoilers.

So I wanted to like this movie, but I'm finding it hard to look past all of the problems I had with it at the same time. Might as well get the most obvious one out of the way first: Spider-Man didn't need a reboot so soon. I for one was looking forward to a Raimi-directed Spider-Man 4 using the previous actor for Dr. Connors as the Lizard, but since there's no use in beating that dead horse, they could have at the very least skipped the origin story in the reboot. The fact that they didn't made the first act of TASM feel all too familiar, with a notable lack of lightheartedness and memorable scenes which Raimi's films had.

Garfield's portrayal of Peter Parker came across as overconfident and self-absorbed. Standing up to bullies at school, sneaking into corporate towers and research labs, argumentative... and all this before he even becomes Spider-Man. Now, I'm willing to accept that this is a different interpretation of the character and it would all be fine and well if he had actually learned a single lesson by the end of the movie. That last line, "But promises you can't keep are the best kind!" was the final nail in the coffin for me. We're left with a character who has failed to grow even the slightest bit despite all signs pointing toward him doing so. This is the exact opposite of the message behind Peter Parker's story that was perfectly captured in Raimi's film, which is to see a shy, outcast of a teenager learn to be a responsible adult, caring of others. Garfield's modern skateboarder Peter Parker who was stubborn and irresponsible throughout the movie did nothing for me, and certainly wasn't likable.

A lot of it may have just stemmed from bad writing. For instance, nearly everything that happens to Peter in this movie had no effect on his character developing into your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. The inclusion of his parents felt like it was only there to get him to meet Dr. Connors, as it is dropped shortly after. The trailers made it look like there would be a dramatic and extensive look into Peter's past when there wasn't anything like that. Uncle Ben's death felt too rushed in this one, Peter doesn't suffer any consequences for being to blame, and the hunt for his killer is dropped midway through the movie as well. This is why I mentioned earlier that it would have been better if TASM had left out the origin story. The way they handled it wasn't satisfying to me at all.

Also gotta mention the Lizard's motives. What were they exactly? When Dr. Connors was first introduced, I thought he had potential to live up to the great performances of William Dafoe's Green Goblin and Alfred Molina's Doc Ock before him. Sadly, that's when his character started playing all the same beats as those two villains and went downhill from there. We're supposed to believe that over the course of a day or two, this respected scientist went from wanting to grow his arm back to being fully convinced that he must "fix" mankind by dispersing toxic gas over New York with a gimmicky plot device--I mean conveniently unused super weapon on top of a building at the heart of the city? Okay, but how about a script that actually shows some effort put into it?

My list goes on, but it would take far too long to write up in this post. Besides, you get the idea. I'll always be biased toward the infinitely more enjoyable Spider-Man 1 & 2 because of their stellar cast and how much they got right from a storytelling perspective. If those two movies did not exist, or if enough time had passed that they were long forgotten, TASM would've made a bit more sense in my opinion.
Last Edited by CWP; 07-11-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: Karkat, Major Liftz
  #314 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2012, 10:57 PM
==> Everything is Awesome
Send a message via AIM to Karkat
Steam ID: SoundchekZ
View Posts: 3,856

I agree with CWP, but I'd like to add a few things too. Also, spoilers.

I felt the plot was a little too convenient. Like Peter's dad just happened to work with Dr. Connors at Oscorp, who just happens to be the bad guy and Gwen just happens to be his assistant. Also, I wish there was more Spiderman in this movie and less Peter Parker because I didn't like him all that much. Garfield is a talented actor, but I just didn't like the character too much. I also wish they had handled Connors better. They tried to make him sympathetic, but didn't do a very good job of it and his Lizard arc just seemed rushed. It would have made more sense if they'd handled the character of Dr. Connors better, either making him more villainey as a character or explaining that The Lizard ego made him evil somehow. Personally, I think it would have made more sense if Connors was dying instead of Norman Osbourne and that drove him to create the Lizard serum to cure himself. That would have made more sense than a lost arm, which btw they never explained how he lost or if he was born with it or what, and would have given him more depth because injecting the serum into himself would be a more primal survival action, as opposed to just regaining a lost arm. That may have set up something interesting, especially with the antidote at the end. Connors could have gone through a morale dilemma, like what price would he pay to continue being alive, even if that meant him turning into the Lizard and letting that destructive ego take over.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, a few final gripes. Why did they have to do those first person shots? They were terrible. I mean, if there was something interesting happening in them it would be okay, but there isn't. It feels hollow and gimmicky. Also, how does shooting a web onto your leg make a bullet wound just go away? That's ridiculous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
This party is logical as ❤❤❤❤.

Killer Mohawk LPs
Last Edited by Karkat; 07-12-2012 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #315 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Big Damn Hero
Send a message via Skype™ to Galedeep
Steam ID: nolanam
View Posts: 13,450

Finally saw this, I'm gonna post my thoughts, then go back and read everyone else's impressions.

I thought it was good. Not great, not fantastic, not even amazing, but good. In the invariable comparison to the first take on the franchise, I'd probably put them about even. There's things I liked in the original better than what was done here, there's stuff done here that I found was pulled off better than the first time around.

If anything, this movie has me more excited for where the franchise can go, sequel-wise. I really liked the world they created in this movie. I like the darker look, I like that they kept returning to the high school as a location, I like that they've included the mystery of where Peter's parents went and what they were doing. I like that they've made Osborne into a more shadowy threat than a millionaire who also happens to be a practicing scientist.

I also really like the cast. Garfield is a great Parker, I think he carries the weight of that character really well. So much about what I love about Spider-Man is based in the tragedy of his origin, and how much the character feels the crushing responsibility to do what he does. I think Garfield emotes that level of the character really well, though I don't think the character has yet transitioned from that phase where he acts as Spider-Man not because of revenge or guilt, but because of that feeling of responsibility (as an aside, I was somewhat saddened by the lack of the "with great power" phrase, but I can understand why they decided to go with a different wording).

I don't really have any complaints with the rest of the cast. I really like Emma Stone is virtually anything she does, and she and Garfield had great chemistry, playing the awkward high school relationship thing really well. I quite liked Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben, and even Dennis Leary wasn't too bad as Captain Stacey. I wasn't entirely happy with The Lizard as a villain, I think there's a better way to do that character than what they went with. They hit most of the key points of the character, but his transition into "I'M SAVING PEOPLE BY MAKING THEM BETTER" was pretty abrupt and I didn't really think it was an earned motivation. I much prefer the character when it's about the combating Lizard/Monkey brains and that sort of duality between cold-blooded reptile and empathetic human.

I also really liked the look of the movie, from how it was shot to the costume, and especially the web shooters. I really enjoyed those little elements.

The only thing that really didn't do much for me was, as my thoughts on The Lizard might reveal, was the story. I wasn't a big fan of much of the set-up, from Peter going to Oscorp and getting bit through the discovery of his powers. I had some problems with the resolution where once again there were beats that didn't feel earned. Everything in the middle was alright, but didn't blow me away or anything.

I did think they structured it well by not having Parker take up the Spider-Man mantle until the midpoint of the movie, and I think at the end of the day that's what has me hopeful for what this franchise has to show in the future. I think they've set themselves up for a potentially awesome sequel here by laying in the groundwork for Peter to discover what happened with his parents, Osborne, and the further growth of his character.
  #316 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2012, 09:22 PM
View Posts: 447

Well, I definitely enjoyed it more than the first one.
Andrew Garfield is way, way, better at acting Peter Parker than Toby Maguire ever was. He can actually convey emotion (Uncle Ben's death scene,.
Some scenes actually made me cry, like the scene where Peter tells Gwen he can't be with her, and he looks so damn distraught.

Definitely looking forward to the sequel.

- Xanox

"What do you want from me?!"- Vanille, Final Fantasy 13.

#317 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Off-Key Anthem

Marc Webb's directing the sequel.