Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Mattocks Canada Mattocks is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada State
View Posts: 12,225
The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. New Mini Game!

New thread:

Timeless Haven: ZU's Official Fangame





The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven




Christmas Mini-game: Octorok Blast



A christmas gift from the dev team to you. We know you're holding on for the next demo but it's gonna be a while. Development's going steady and we're making progress. So to hold you over, we thought we'd make you a little mini-game

Download Octorok Blast here

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alpha Demo



Download the 2nd demo here
yes, ^^this^^ is a link




Zelda Universe's first official Zelda fan game has been tentatively titled The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. It is a completely original story based on an idea by user SteelSlasher (who is no longer involved with development) and is now being developed by several talented ZU members.



Last May we managed to give the public our first working demo showing off just a taste of what we were working on. With some new gameplay elements as well as original sprites we considered the demo an overall success and got a lot of feedback. We are now proud to be releasing the second demo for the game! If you want to go back to play the original alpha demo, here is a link to the first thread.

For those of you who have played our first demo, you will notice some small changes, as well as some rather large ones. This time around we wanted to put a little more emphasis on interaction since there was very little of it in the last demo. So we have now brought you a little bit of Link's home village, Haven North. You will learn a little bit about this town by talking to people in the demo, but there's also more information in our character profiles seen below.

Spoiler:  








More importantly, we've added some new moves for Link to use against the monsters roaming the fields just outside of the town. This is not the entire moveset you'll see in the final game, but it will give you something to look forward too. Some attacks you know from past games, like the Spin Attack, while others have been developed just for this game, such as the 3-slash combo (inspired by FSA) you can trigger by pressing Attack three times in a row. While playing, press F1 for a complete rundown on Link's abilities.

Finally, there has been a whole lot of touch ups and polishing to try and give Zelda fans the best demo we can. Last time we got plenty of feedback which helped us a lot, not only in spotting bugs and glitches, but also giving us a better idea of what kind of game you want to play, so we hope to get even more this time around.


Developer Commentaries

We recently released some developer commentary videos that will give you a deeper look at the development of this fangame.

Spoiler:  





Getting involved

Want to help out and get involved? Well there are a couple ways to do that.

First - and easiest to do - is to play the most recent demo. Find whatever bugs, glitches or screw-ups you can and let us know about them. There are many we already know about but I'm sure there's a ton more that we haven't discovered yet. If you do find something, please give us as much detail as possible. The more the programmers know, the easier it is for them to figure out what is wrong and fix it. Screenshots and videos are great if you can provide them.

Speaking of videos, the best way to help us by playing through the game, is to record both your screen and your voice as you play the game for the first time. That way we can follow your way through the demo much better. If you want to do this, be sure to think out loud, talk about everything that comes to your mind.

Of course, give us general feedback as well. What things did you like and what would you like to see changed?

Another way to help is to spread the word. Tell your friends, your family, hijack a news station and tell the world! The more people play the game, the more feedback we can get and the more it motivates the team to put out an amazing final product. If you're good with graphics, you could make a banner and put it in your sig or on your blog or other forums.


Working on the game

If you think you're suited for the job, then here's your chance to apply to be part of our team. We don't take just anybody who has a "cool idea" though; we need people who are both talented and responsible. A general requirement is teamwork and being able to set (and meet) your own deadlines on a weekly basis. If you have a passion for game development and can either design, program, sprite, draw or compose music, this is an opportunity you definitely shouldn't miss out on.

How to apply:
If you are interested in joining the team, PM your application (detials below) to Hombre de Mundo. Give us about a week to get back to you.

At this point in development, most of the game is already designed and we're not starting to look for people to help us put everything we have on paper into the game itself in our journey towards beta. At this time, we're first and foremost looking for game maker programmers and graphic designers (spriters), but we also need concept artists, game designers and musicians.

Specific application instruction can be found in this spoiler:

Spoiler:  

Graphic artists:
As you can see, the graphics are based on The Minsh Cap. Now, even though The Minish Cap provides us with a big library of sprites, we want original content, and that's where you come into the picture.

As a graphic designer, you'll need to be able to do one or both of these things:

- Make sprites based on a sketch. The character art displayed in one of the extendable spoilers above is a good place to start. You are of course allowed to make your own sketch of a character of your own and sprite that. If so, make sure to submit the original sketch as well. The sprites need to match the Minish Cap style (of course) but you are allowed and encouraged to take artistic freedom if it improves the end result.

- Make additional frames (animations) for existing sprites. A good idea would be making new frames for Minish Cap NPCs. For example, if a character is standing, perhaps you can make an animation of it running, fighting or digging.

Your applications will of course become stronger by making multiple poses for a character or multiple animations and submitting them. There's no minimum requirement, just make sure to show us what you can do. The more we see of your abilities, the better.


Programmers:
In order to put our ideas into the game, we'll need programmers. The game runs in Game Maker and uses Game Maker Language (GML).

Send us a (gmk) file of a sample demo engine you made. It doesn't really matter how big or small it is, the players doesn't even have to be able to finish it. We're going to be looking at the demo primarily by the functionality of the game and the code (graphics don't really matter). We can't forbid you from using any drag and drop, but a significant part of what you've done should be written in GML.


Dungeon and Village Designers:
The designers will basically be creating the skeleton of the game. This includes things like puzzles, enemies and side quests. The Designers are split into focus groups (designing dungeons or villages) to concentrate on specific tasks, though everyone is free to put forward ideas for any sort of area. Switching focus groups will be a possibility if you're qualified for it and depending on what needs to be done.

For a dungeon designer, we need two things:
- Create an enemy. How does it look, how does it move, how does it attack, etc?
- Create a block based puzzle. How do the blocks move, and how (exactly) does Link solve it? You are allowed to incorporate other common dungeon elements such as switches and the like. Thinking outside the box and being creative is of course always a good thing.

For a village designer, also two things:
- Create a minor plotline for a character in a village. What is his/her name and backstory, what purpouse does he/she serve to Link?
- Create a mini game you'd usually find in houses. Specify what it is and how to play/solve it.


Concept Artists:
As a concept artist it's your job to visualize the characters, enemies and locations of the game. As an application, I'll give you an enemy description below from one of our designs that you can draw, by hand (photo/scanning quality must be somehwat good of course) or on the computer.


Enemy description:
TaskMaster

A moblin-like shaman-type enemy which - by way of an enchanted whip - summons other monsters to do his bidding. Often comes as a mated pair with another Taskmaster, since they are weak when alone. Will use whip to attack Link if necessary but isn't trained for close combat encounters.

Musicians:
For your application, please submit original compositions of yours, prefferably something that matches the kind of music we're going for (there's music in our demo and mini-game). Being able to produce good 16-bit music is a big plus. Slots are limited.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regardless of what your application is, it always helps to include visual representation. For example, if you make a puzzle, draw that puzzle. If you make an enemy, draw that enemy. It doesn't have to be very detailed, a simple sketch is certainly good enough. Also, any experience or education in the field you're applying for will of course be a good thing to tell us about.

Please also remember this is a big commitment. This project has been in effective development for over two years now and we can't have people quit after a few weeks. You do get to set your own deadlines (because we all need to attend IRL activities such as school or work) on a weekly basis, but that also means you are solely responsible for meeting those deadlines. So while this is hard work at times, it's a lot of fun and very rewarding in its own right. Plus, it will give you team working experience that will help you throughout your career.

To apply for a position, or for any questions regarding applications, PM your one and only man of world, Hombre de Mundo. Do not apply, or reply to the applications in this thread!


FAQ
These are some issues/questions we are aware of but so far have no been able to adress.

The terrain is full of ugly lines. What the hell is this?
This is a glitch that happens with certain graphics cards. The reason this happens is because we upscale everything. The only solution is re-size everything in the game which we should be solved in the Octorok Blast mini-game and not be a problem in the future.

Can i play this on my Mac?
Unfortunately no, and this is out of our control at the moment. We hope that a newer version of Game Maker will come along that allows us to make a mac-compatible version.

Wait, what are the controls again?
Press F1 for a complete rundown on the controls. You can re-assign all buttons in the pause menu's options page.

Can I use a gamepad with this?
There's no internal support for a gamepad, however you can download 3rd party software such as Xpadder. Google it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To conclude, I would like to say that I'm very proud of how hard the team has worked, especially trying to push this demo out. Please be sure to show your appreciation for the rest of the team:

bitterlime: Art and Sprites
Daniel3: Chief composer
DEGL-TOONS: Game Designer
Doran_Bladefist: Game Designer
Hombre de Mundo: Project manager and Lead Game Designer
Khao: Lead Programmer
Sundav "Sunday" Istalri: Game Designer
__________________
Last Edited by Hombre de Mundo; 05-03-2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason:
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Hombre de Mundo Sweden Hombre de Mundo is offline
Send a message via Skype™ to Hombre de Mundo



Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
View Posts: 13,513
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. New Mini Game!

As a bonus for you guys I will show you how to perform a fun glitch in this game:

2011-12-10_0358 - warpstonelord's library
__________________
6 people liked this post: Ahluk, altidefan1, Coconut Water, Doran_Bladefist, Hank Pym, Khao
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Khao Khao is a male Chile Khao is online now
Custom User Title
Join Date: Dec 2005
View Posts: 10,595
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. New Mini Game!

Before anyone says anything I want to say that I love every single one of you.

Every.

Single.

One.
__________________
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Spirit of Mike Spirit of Mike is a male Canada Spirit of Mike is offline
Remember that song, Safety Dance?
Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit of Mike

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Currently Unavailable
View Posts: 946
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. New Mini Game!

*doesn't love me* GAWD WHY?! but seriously awesome to see this released guys, well done, need some time to give it a full run-through.
__________________
3DS Friend Code: 2578 - 3665 - 0921

Add'er up!
1 person liked this post: Khao
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-10-2011, 12:48 AM
Wayward Vagabond Wayward Vagabond is a male Australia Wayward Vagabond is offline
asauxy minx
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Beyond Infinity
View Posts: 3,348
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. New Mini Game!

So I download the file, and leave the computer for a bit. I come back, and hey look I've got a nice shiny Triforce logo on my desktop! I click it, and 'Windows cannot find Timeless Haven blah blah.exe'.

Oh, okay, maybe the download screwed up or something. I'll just delete it and try again. I click delete and 'Windows cannot find Timeless Haven.exe'. Ahhh, okay, guess that's permanently stuck on my desktop. Whatever.


So I try to download it again. The moment the download finishes, Windows tells me the file that it just downloaded could not be found. Huh. So I click 'Run' instead of Save, it downloads for a bit then:

"WHOA WHOA WHOA NOPE NORTON DOESN'T THINK THIS IS SAVE NOPE DELETING THIS YOU HAVE NO CHOICE"






Uhhh, help?




(also hai der 16 something guests viewing this. *waves*)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredSturgeon View Post
Remember: if you're going to make blood sacrifices to ancient dark gods of evil, make sure the blood falls inside the pentagram.
Last Edited by Wayward Vagabond; 12-10-2011 at 12:50 AM. Reason:
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-10-2011, 03:03 AM
Topaz Mutiny Topaz Mutiny is a female United States Topaz Mutiny is offline
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: West Coast
View Posts: 3,172
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. New Mini Game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
"WHOA WHOA WHOA NOPE NORTON DOESN'T THINK THIS IS SAVE NOPE DELETING THIS YOU HAVE NO CHOICE"
Well there's your problem. :3 Norton usually does more harm than good. I suggest going AVG/other programs and getting rid of Norton.

Now, for thread.

This game looks amazing guys. @_@ It really gives off that ALttP vibe, but with enhanced bit color (32 or 64?), and a Link that looks rather like TP. While the colors are subdued, there's still plenty of variation that I wouldn't complain of excessive amounts of gray brown or green, rather it gives the game atmosphere.

And that's just from analyzing the screenshot and glitch video.

I would consider trying it out... buuuuuut I have a Mac and so fall under the incompatibility issue. Be sure to notify if/when the game's Mac-friendly, eh?
__________________
3DS Friend Code: 5370-0400-3836
Nintendo Network ID: Topaz_Mutiny
"Hero's Shade is Not A Stalfos" by Topaz Mutiny
Online Games: ACNL, MK7, Pkmn X+Y, Miiverse

Thanks to Sugarpoultry for the pretty sig! <3
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-10-2011, 06:58 AM
Hombre de Mundo Sweden Hombre de Mundo is offline
Send a message via Skype™ to Hombre de Mundo



Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
View Posts: 13,513
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. New Mini Game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
S

"WHOA WHOA WHOA NOPE NORTON DOESN'T THINK THIS IS SAVE NOPE DELETING THIS YOU HAVE NO CHOICE"


Uhhh, help?
Yeah this happened to me as well. There are two pretty easy ways around it.

1) disable Norton Auto-protect and don't turn on until after you run the exe.
2) have a friend send it througth IM.
__________________
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Minion Minion is offline
Welcome, gentlemen.

Join Date: Jan 2010
View Posts: 768
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. New Mini Game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattocks View Post
Can I use a gamepad with this?
Not yet, but it's our goal to make it compatible in time.
You can use programs like GlovePIE to map gamepad/controller buttons to keyboard keys. So even if the game doesn't support gamepads, you can still use them.

First and foremost, I found myself lost for about 75% of the game. The last thing I read was "The courier is somewhere south of North Haven." After that, there was no indication of what I should do or look for. I was on my own to navigate the world, find the items and locate the dungeon. By the way, the dungeon's location is WAY too cryptic. If I didn't run into it by accident, I would have never finished the game.

Another thing was the continuity between the maps. A wide open space would suddenly become a narrow area. Some parts just didn't line up with other parts

Here's a full list of things I noticed.

Spoiler:  

Design
  • You can run into Hyrule Field without a sword. That's pretty much suicide.
  • When you exit the building you start off in, you can see a balcony on the second floor with a door. However, when you enter the building and go to the second floor, there is no such door.
  • There is a man at the top of North Haven. However, it is easy to miss him because of the interface elements. Similarly, the locked door in the dungeon is hidden by the elements. Try to add some extra padding (eg. trees, walls, etc) to the top of the maps so that everything stays visible.
  • Go to the 2nd floor of the Academy in the room with the guy that wants +5 to piercings. Go to the room south and keep holding down. You'll find yourself alternating between the two rooms. This is because both doors are south. Try to avoid this, as it can be considered bad design. Either make on north, or move them both east-west.
  • Is there a way to indicate which doors are locked or not? It was annoying in the beginning to walk around, but not be able to open doors. Maybe a rock or something.
  • The way North Haven connects to Hyrule Field is odd. NH has a wide open space with trees leaking to the south of the screen. When I go to HF, I expect to see a connection to the open space, and some trees at the top of the map. However, you end up in a narrow path with cliffs coming from the top. No continuity.
  • The connection between the blocked cave in Hyrule Field and the elevated land is awkward. Put some stairs in the cave's north wall instead of a normal exit.
  • When I first entered the cave, I ran downstairs. I saw the switch far away and hit it with a sword beam. Later on, I hit it with a well-timed bomb. I killed the boss and got the arrow expansion. However, I didn't even have the bow yet! That switch need to be activated by arrows ONLY.
  • In the Nameless Forest, players go to the end, only to find there's nothing there. That makes them feel cheated and unsatisfied. But when they're really desperate and don't know what they're doing, they decide to go back and take a look. They either notice the two small patches of flowers, or they run against the wall in desperation. Either way, the dungeon is hidden WAY too cryptically. A bomb/arrow puzzle with a formal entrance would be more appropriate.
  • First puzzle in this cave was perfect. However, it resets when you leave the room.


Programming
  • If you hold the arrow keys while walking between two screens, you continue walking normally on the other side. However, if you press the action button while changing screens (ie. roll while changing screens), you stop walking. You have to release the arrow keeps and press them down again to move.
  • If you roll, release the arrow keys, then press the action button while rolling, you'll hear Link make sound for a second roll. However, he will only execute one roll, as he should.
  • Tingle. If you have 10-19 rupees, he'll say that you don't have enough rupees for a map. However, if you talk to him again, he said you already bought the map. If you have 20 or more rupees, he'll give you the normal message. How do you access the map, anyway?
  • Shadows are inconsistent. Link and most NPCs and enemies have long, downward shadows, along with pots and rocks. However, octoroks have little patches under then, and most objects have nothing at all. Give all enemies the same shadow. And either give all objects a shadow or don't.
  • When you received the sword, there is no indication that you got it. This may confuse fans who are used to seeing Link raise the new item over his head with a description. You did this with other items, so I don't know why it wasn't done with the sword.


Enemies
  • Keese are confined to walls. In the official games, they can fly unhindered. Also, they fly too fast and home in on you, leading to much frustration.
  • If you don't have the bow, the octoroks in the cave in Hyrule Field will be untouchable (unless you have sword beams)
  • The wizard boss guys are nearly impossible without the bow and arrow. 2 hearts per hit + teleportation + homing attack that explodes into projectiles is a little cheap, don't you think?


Misc
  • What's with the zero on top of Chuchus?
  • "This is your second piece, collect two more and your life will increase". Badly placed comma. Similar issue with the other heart piece amounts.
  • In the dungeon, the music will stop if you are killed by the Sun Wizard guy. You can start it back up by opening the chest with the small key or by moving to the northern map.
  • No sound for drowning, death or when your sword hits the Darknut's shield.
  • No animation for pushing blocks. If Link picks up an item and stands still, he puts his hands down and balances it on his head. If he moves, he raises his hands again.
  • Arrows are really messed up. They sometimes hit objects and sometimes don't. If you want an example, go to the cave in Hyrule Field, go down, then go to the room with the small key. Shot the blocks with the bow and arrow and look at how randomly it stops.
  • Apparently, chests lose their lids when opened
  • Most people (or atleast I am) used to mashing the sword to kill enemies. However, this causes you to jump right into the enemy and lose health. Is this something you did to prevent button mashing? Because it's a little annoying
  • The bombable rocks in the Nameless Forest come back if you blow them up and leave the screen
  • First line after "The End" is really messed up. As if somebody merged three lines of text together.
  • Are all those lines after the credits really necessary?
  • "Mattocks is AWEOMSE (sic)", eh?



I might create a video after I forget how the game plays so I can show you what other problems I faced as a new player.
2 people liked this post: Khao, Mico
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Hombre de Mundo Sweden Hombre de Mundo is offline
Send a message via Skype™ to Hombre de Mundo



Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
View Posts: 13,513
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. New Mini Game!

You raise a number of good points we've been anticipating so I might as well explain some of these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minion View Post
First and foremost, I found myself lost for about 75% of the game. The last thing I read was "The courier is somewhere south of North Haven." After that, there was no indication of what I should do or look for. I was on my own to navigate the world, find the items and locate the dungeon.
First and foremost this is a gameplay demo so it's not at all focused on the mini-story. We added that moreso to give the player some kind of motivation and satisfaction from seeing that ending credit screen, as well as to give the characters such as Zelda a meaninful purpouse rather than just existing.

We also felt like guiding the player too much would decrease their chances of walking around and trying out all the different areas, finding all the things to do that we might want feedback on.


Quote:
[*]You can run into Hyrule Field without a sword. That's pretty much suicide.
Quote:
[*]In the Nameless Forest, players go to the end, only to find there's nothing there. That makes them feel cheated and unsatisfied. But when they're really desperate and don't know what they're doing, they decide to go back and take a look. They either notice the two small patches of flowers, or they run against the wall in desperation. Either way, the dungeon is hidden WAY too cryptically. A bomb/arrow puzzle with a formal entrance would be more appropriate.
One of the goals of this game is to go back to the more traditional Zeldas in the sense of exploration. Vincent starts off telling you to go meet Zelda, but if you'd rather venture off into the unknown, you can do that. We see it as a freedom you have, much like the original LoZ. Likewise with the cave, we want to reward a keen eye and a sharp mind. You walk for about half the forest map only to find nothing. That doesn't make sense, does it? Of course something has to be there. And spotting the flower patches, well... that might give you a hint along with the desert man in Haven North mentioning a concealed cave.

We also chose to not give anymore clues because we also wanted to test the audience, see how cryptic things we can get away with. The thing about balancing difficulty is some people will get stuck on things other can just laugh their way through. So we have some very basic parts of the game where you know exactly what to do whereas other are a whole other story. I beleive that by seeing how many people could find their way we can see approximately where we want to place the bar in terms of difficulty






Quote:
Keese are confined to walls. In the official games, they can fly unhindered.
While we do appriciate all feedback, it's be great if you could tell us why you think one way is better than the other. We made this decison because it felt weird to have the enemies be able to hide inside walls where you can't reach them.


Quote:
The wizard boss guys are nearly impossible without the bow and arrow. 2 hearts per hit + teleportation + homing attack that explodes into projectiles is a little cheap, don't you think?
Actually I don't think it's cheap at all, I think it's a fair challenge. But I'm glad you tell me otherwise because we need to hear every side of things. Of course, you raise an interesting point that depending on your inventory, enemies become more or less challenging. I think that's a good things, we want you to fight the enemies just not one way but perhaps find several tactics that work well.

You say you have a problem with these enemies without the bow. How do you go about fighting it? I usually wait until I predict they spawn and pull out a bomb to toss in their face. They do more damage too

Quote:
[*]What's with the zero on top of Chuchus?
Oh, that stayed in there, huh? disregard it, it's not important to anything



Quote:
[*]Most people (or atleast I am) used to mashing the sword to kill enemies. However, this causes you to jump right into the enemy and lose health. Is this something you did to prevent button mashing? Because it's a little annoying
I wonder how you go about doing this because the combo has been deisgned to do the exact opposite. You hit an octorok or whatever and it get knocked back. The combo dash pursues and destroys it. There can be times where the enemy doesn't get knocked back, like if you hit him at an angle where he goes back into the wall and in those cases yes, it's possible to jump into the enemy.
We don't want to prevent button mashing but the fact is that the combat syustem is centred around the 3 slash combo. It's a great attack but you have to use it right. By taking away the ability to indefinately slash (effectively create a wall of death for weaker enemies) we force the player to think a little about how they approach an enemy instead of simply *walk up, button mash, win*

Now, this probably goes without saying but combat isn't finished yet so what you're experiencing now isn't necessarily the final thing but it's a strong indication of what kind of combat we're going for.



Quote:
Are all those lines after the credits really necessary?
no, but they're fun.

Quote:
"Mattocks is AWEOMSE (sic)", eh?
If you stuck with it to the end then I think I proved my previous point


Quote:
I might create a video after I forget how the game plays so I can show you what other problems I faced as a new player.
I'd be happy to see that.

Most of the other things you've mentioned are things that we're chalking up to "didn't have time to fix" or rather "isn't important enough to care about in light of these other things we need to do that are really important" but some things (like tinghle, wtf?) we had no idea about, so thanks for putting those to light. Rest assured we've noted all of them and put them on a what I'm sure to be giant feedback list where every single point will be discussed internally

EDIT: oh btw Map screen is on pause. Just scroll to the left (or teice to the right) using the item scroll keys. Press F1 at any time for a rundown on the controls.
__________________
Last Edited by Hombre de Mundo; 12-10-2011 at 09:28 AM. Reason:
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Mattocks Canada Mattocks is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada State
View Posts: 12,225
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. New Mini Game!

First of all I'll adress the dungeon entrance thing. This is something Hombre and I had a disagreement about. He thought I was just stupid and bad at Zelda for not finding the entrance. I thought it was just way too hard to find. So we decided to use the demo's feedback to settle this.

As for many of your other concerns, keep in mind this is only a demo. The field in the final game may end up being completely different. So yes, we do know the continuity and stuff like that may seem off. The point was to try and show off a couple different environments because the field alone is a little stale if there's nothing else there.

Having said that, please don't take it the wrong way. We really do appreciate the time you put into playing it and typing all that up. I'd rather have things like that we know about that nothing at all. So thanks for the feedback!


Or Hombre can ninja me...oh well, more in depth response
__________________
Last Edited by Mattocks; 12-10-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason:
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-10-2011, 10:07 AM
King Of Red Leopards King Of Red Leopards is a male Canada King Of Red Leopards is offline
Adam Kaczmarek
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
View Posts: 127
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. New Mini Game!

What do you do after the wizrobe? Is that the end?
__________________
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-10-2011, 10:20 AM
bitterlime Germany bitterlime is offline
is not Zelda in disguise

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: under your bed! >:3
View Posts: 3,953
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. New Mini Game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Zant View Post
What do you do after the wizrobe? Is that the end?
The demo ends in credits. So until those play you haven't reached the end.=)
If yoyu reached the credits that doesn't mean you did everything you can do though, because there are some optional areas to find and upgrades to be gathered.



@Minion:
Thanks for the indepth comment Minion. You described some issues we were aware of, but some of them in more detail than we were previously aware of them (because as hombre said, we had to be selective on what to fix because of the release date and didn't have time to look into everything). And also some new ones. So that's great and will help us.

I'd like to shortly comment on only a few of them:
Quote:
When you exit the building you start off in, you can see a balcony on the second floor with a door. However, when you enter the building and go to the second floor, there is no such door.
I told you people would notice hombre. :p Yeah it was there originally but was removed because that was the quickest way to deal with it. It will be back!
Quote:
When I first entered the cave, I ran downstairs. I saw the switch far away and hit it with a sword beam. Later on, I hit it with a well-timed bomb. I killed the boss and got the arrow expansion. However, I didn't even have the bow yet! That switch need to be activated by arrows ONLY.
I was under the impression this was fixed, because I thought we made beams not activate the switches, and the circle of holes was supposed to make it impossible to activate with bombs. I guess it was lost along the way somewhere.
Quote:
In the Nameless Forest, players go to the end, only to find there's nothing there. That makes them feel cheated and unsatisfied. But when they're really desperate and don't know what they're doing, they decide to go back and take a look. They either notice the two small patches of flowers, or they run against the wall in desperation. Either way, the dungeon is hidden WAY too cryptically. A bomb/arrow puzzle with a formal entrance would be more appropriate.
There's an npc giving a hint in haven north, but yes it is a bit cryptic. However the area is small, so it wont hurt much if people miss it at first and have to go back. We wouldn't be cruel enough to do something like that after a long trip. Rest assured that the final game will have some tricky things, but we will try to never make it unfair.
Quote:
Most people (or atleast I am) used to mashing the sword to kill enemies. However, this causes you to jump right into the enemy and lose health. Is this something you did to prevent button mashing? Because it's a little annoying
We are still working on combat so alot can and will still happen there. However, we don't encourage a button mashing only approach. Sorry:p (But no, the combo was not put in to prevent button mashing).
Quote:
You can run into Hyrule Field without a sword. That's pretty much suicide.
If someone wants to ignore going to Zelda in the library and venture into the field they can if they want. They just have to face the consequences, freedom also means that it's possible for the player to make mistakes or less favourable decisions. But players might be good enough at avoiding enemies or using rocks to defend themselves. You might have noticed that we sealed off the forest with bushes though, so you need the sword to go there. This is because reaching the dungeon and boss in the forest without a sword would face the player with an impossible task and certain death. As you can see we think players should have freedom, but we are protecting them from getting into unsolvable situations.
__________________
Last Edited by bitterlime; 12-10-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason:
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-10-2011, 11:30 AM
iDuffman iDuffman is a male United States iDuffman is offline
The Master of Indecision
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Greenville, SC
View Posts: 91
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. New Mini Game!

Um, last I checked, the newest version of Gamemaker is Mac-compatible. Have you checked that out yet?
__________________

Sig made by me, iDuffman.

Games I have on pre-order: Wii U Deluxe Edition, ZombiU, Super Mario Bros. U, Black Ops 2 for Wii U, Lego City...and as soon as it gets announced: Zelda U.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Brad Brad is a male Sweden Brad is offline
pissmas: the most golden time of year
Send a message via Skype™ to Brad
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut most of the time
View Posts: 3,687
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. New Mini Game!

Only two things: I ran into this glitch where my sword alone would not damage Octoroks in the dungeon. However, the sword beams and all other weapons functioned normally and would damage them. Also, when I tried to buy the Hyrule Field map from Tingle, it wouldn't let me, even though I had more than ten rupees.

Other than that, I thought a fantastic effort has been put into the game so far. I do have some suggestions though:

-Ability to run and swing your sword at the same time
-Be able to find a shield before going into Hyrule Field
-Have less houses in the main town and don't put them right next to each other
-Have a Start Menu for maps, objectives, and a save option
-Have something major happen in the plot before venturing to the first dungeon so it doesn't seem pointless
-Stamina bar on Link's roll?
__________________
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Hombre de Mundo Sweden Hombre de Mundo is offline
Send a message via Skype™ to Hombre de Mundo



Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
View Posts: 13,513
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. New Mini Game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDuffman
Um, last I checked, the newest version of Gamemaker is Mac-compatible. Have you checked that out yet?
It's available but there are a bunch of things you can't do on the Mac version so... the only way to go around that right now is to simultaniously make one PC build and one Mac build. And that's just not going to happen.
__________________
Last Edited by Hombre de Mundo; 12-10-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason:
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Mattocks Canada Mattocks is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada State
View Posts: 12,225
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. New Mini Game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
-Ability to run and swing your sword at the same time
This is something that we're still disscussing. There are varried opinions on it, and if we do decide to try it out it will have to be programmed and tested. It's not out of the question, but it isn't gaurenteed either. But rest assured we do have thoughts on it.
Quote:
-Be able to find a shield before going into Hyrule Field
You can. You just have to do enough weed whacking. The shield isn't a huge nessecity. It shouldn't take long to get enough rupees and it adds just a little extra challenge.
Quote:
-Have less houses in the main town and don't put them right next to each other
Please keep in mind that for the whole demo, nothing is absolute. We just didn't want to drop a mostly empty town on you, so some things may be removed, or repositioned by the time the final version of the game is ready (which is still quite a ways off).
Quote:
-Have a Start Menu for maps, objectives, and a save option
Again, it will be expanded upon. No worries!
Quote:
-Have something major happen in the plot before venturing to the first dungeon so it doesn't seem pointless
What? An urget mail delivery isn't major enough for you? You wouldn't be saying that if you were the delivery boy! Poor guy gets kidnapped and you act like he's a minor inconvenience. Man, what has this world come to!?
Kidding Of course there will be a more filled out plot in the future.
Quote:
-Stamina bar on Link's roll?
What exactly do you mean by that?
__________________
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Hombre de Mundo Sweden Hombre de Mundo is offline
Send a message via Skype™ to Hombre de Mundo



Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
View Posts: 13,513
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. New Mini Game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattocks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad
-Stamina bar on Link's roll?
What exactly do you mean by that?
This is why Mattocks is not in active development
__________________
3 people liked this post: Brad, Doran_Bladefist, Khao
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-10-2011, 02:23 PM
GooeyKablooie GooeyKablooie is offline
__
Join Date: Aug 2007
View Posts: 8,485
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. New Mini Game!

So I recorded myself playing a bit of it and commenting on whatever came to mind.
Sometimes I don't say much so it's probably not interesting to watch, but I do comment on what I notice. However, I didn't get very far in that video due to a GLITCH that got me stuck.

Would you want me to post that here? Or send it somewhere in particular?
1 person liked this post: bitterlime
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Hombre de Mundo Sweden Hombre de Mundo is offline
Send a message via Skype™ to Hombre de Mundo



Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
View Posts: 13,513
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. New Mini Game!

you might as well post here for everyone's enjoyment
__________________
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Coconut Water United States Coconut Water is offline
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Send a message via Skype™ to Coconut Water

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Santos
View Posts: 35,494
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Timeless Haven. New Mini Game!

I recorded myself playing it as well. Will post as soon as it's fully rendered and uploaded. ^_^
__________________
3 people liked this post: bitterlime, Doran_Bladefist, Hombre de Mundo
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -