Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-08-2010, 06:56 PM
ZeldaVeteran ZeldaVeteran is a male United States ZeldaVeteran is offline
Kokiri
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kakariko Village
View Posts: 79
Taint

Name: Taint

Nickname /Alias: Taint has been called many things, ranging from "Loser", to "Lousy bum".

Occupation: Currently unemployed. He bought his shield and a few other provisions through a stroke of luck at a gambling game in North Castle Courtyard during the annual celebration.

Age/Birthdate: 26 (birthdate unknown)

Apparent Age: 19-22

Gender: Male

Race: Zora

Height: 5 feet 7 inches.

Weight: Around 125 lbs (most of the time starving)

Eye Color: Blue as the deepest sea.

Hair Color/Style: ... He's a Zora. Nuff said.

General Appearance:


Taint's posture in generally relaxed. His eyes are normally towards the ground due to his insecurity, lack of confidence, and general loneliness. He has a nice warm smile on a lot of the time, despite his despicable predicament. He wears a set of earrings on his head fins. He's garbed in a pair of dirty old pants, no shirt, a rusty old bet buckle, and a pair of relatively new boots (bought with gambling earnings). His skin is a pale blue, and it's this skin tone that more than likely makes his eyes stand out the way they do.


Weapon(s): Taint has a rusty old sword that given to him by a pirate crew that he joined in his rebellious young age. He's had this sword for a long time, and it's rusty because of the Zora's love for the water, and his refusal to part with the weapon even for a moment. It's a very average looking sword with a hilt customized to Taint's grip, and a two foot blade.

Armor: Taint has virtually no armor. He relies on his quick reflexes to dodge incoming attacks, and thus far has been extremely lucky. He does however carry around a shield that he bought recently with his winning at the Annual Castle Celebration. It's a classic iron Hylian Shield bearing the Royal Crest, and hasn't taken a single hit yet.

Carried Possessions: He carries a small pouch to carry what little rupees or food he has. He's poor- what else can I say.

Powers/Magic/Skills:

Defense
Taint trains extremely hard to achieve his potential (which he believes he hasn't found). While the Zora is extremely adept in the ways of the sword, he also has a little "ace in the hole". Through constant training, the Zora can focus his will to cast a strong defense spell that makes his skin like stone for a total of 3 minutes. When in this state, he can only be cut by a super heated blade, or a vibrating blade. His speed is also greatly increased, as the skill also lightens the body. Because of this, however, he can be knocked great distances when using this boost in power. A blue aura surrounds him when he begins the spell, and he builds up power for a brief instant before releasing it in a show of blue sparks! The aura wraps around him like flames, and makes him far more formidable than before. The spell may also be dispelled if the Zora is to lost focus. Loss of focus can result from being knocked out, to suffering a major wound, or by winning the match.

Elemental Burst
He can also launch an elemental burst of magic in the form of either water element or lightning element. It's not very powerful, but it's his only ranged attack, and knock the opponent off balance long enough for him to quickly close the gap between them. The lightning burst can cause a weak shock, or a great jolt depending on his target. If the target is clothed in heavy conductible armor, the shock will be greater. If they're wearing light leather armor, or something not as conductible, the shock will be weaker.

Natural Energy
The reason Taint can train harder than most normal people is because of his special ability bestowed upon him by the great elder of his home land. By simply taking a dip in a river, lake, stream, or ocean, the boy's energy completely returns to him, preparing him for round two, three, or four.


Limits: The "Defense" has never been used twice in one battle. It takes a lot of energy out of the poor Zora after its been used, so he only uses the ability when it means life or death. While he isn't magically adept, he can manage to fire three elemental bursts before he's out of power. He'll either have to drink a potion, take a dip in a source of water, or wait until his magic power returns naturally. While Taint's energy is naturally restored from diving into water, it does not heal his wounds or mend afflictions. It only restores his energy.


Side-Effects: The Zora's eyes make one long to return to the coast. This was never outright said in his story- but anyone who wound up in his company would take a trip to coast soon there after. The depth of his eyes emanates the power, the mystery, and vastness of the great ocean blue.

Battle Strengths: While the Zora isn't very strong, he's agile and precise. He's quite acrobatic, and often strikes from many awkward angles. His overall unorthodox fighting style has earned him the nickname "Drunken Warrior" even though he's entirely sober, and is in fact allergic to alcohol. His courage is also unnaturally strong, allowing himself to push him to his greatest limits. He's not naturally weak to any element of magic, but boasts a resistance towards water element spells.

Battle Weaknesses: Taint can be killed by any fatal wound that would kill an average man. This includes but is not limited to decapitation, amputation, impalement, etc. He is however terrified of fire and shadow elements. The Zora, as I mentioned before, is also allergic to nearly all forms of alcohol.

Other: None

Personality: Taint is an extremely likable person with a natural aura of charisma. He's rather insecure his lack of special skills, and always feels inferior to any combatant he comes across. He's a light hearted and jolly fellow with a good sense of humor, and a good head on his shoulders. He's lonely, clumsy beyond belief, and extremely awkward around women. When in the company of someone of the opposite sex, he develops an insane stuttering problem that he has yet to overcome even once. He can take a good joke, is used to criticism, and will often brush any insults off his shoulders with little to no thought on the words shot at him. He's also used to being lonely, and so he doesn't try to make friends, nor will he attempt to force a friendship. Being alone is all he's done for a long time, so he's quite used to it by now. In short, the Zora is afraid of many things, but has never backed down from a challenge. As fearful as he is, he'll never stop fighting for something he believes is right, and he'll never run from a battle.

Likes:
- The Ocean
- Sea Shells
- Food (no sea food)
- Training
- Dreaming

Dislikes:
- People feeling sorry for him
- Talking about his past
- Sheikah
- Books
- Deserts

Fears:
- Fire Element Magic
- Shadow Element Magic
- Spiders
- The Dark
- Undead
- Heights
- Anything bigger than he is
- Dying alone


Virtues:
- Will not raise his sword to an unarmed man, woman, or child.
- Will refuse to fight a woman unless she strikes him first.
- Despite his poverty, he's against theft.
- Follower of Nayru.
- Will always do the right thing if he can.
- Is extremely caring to those in need.

Vices:
- He's a big chicken.
- Has a small attention span.
(I pretty much listed everything else)

History:

Taint was born on Hyrule's Eastern continent in a town named Nabooru. While he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, he yearned for adventure. He wanted to get dirt on his knees, fight, and get into mischief. While his parents put him in class, and did their best to make him an outstanding gentlemen, their efforts were in vain. He took up the art of the sword at age 8 (behind his parents' back of course), and trained privately with a master who saw great potential in him. As he grew, he became more and more adept in his swordsmanship, far outclassing other practitioners of the blade. His master would brag about the Zoran teen all the time, claiming complete responsibility for all for the boy's skills.

By the age of 14, his parents deemed him a lost cause, and disowned him. His master had no room for him, and so he took to the streets. Learning how to hunt, and catch his own food, the Zora became a master of living on his own. He held no resentment towards his master for not taking him in, but he stopped training under him. He felt that he could take on the world, and entered the local tournament in hopes of nabbing the prize money. After many hard fought battles, he came out on top with the 500 rupee prize. He invested all of the money in a tiny man in a green outfit who was claiming to be the next genius in map making. The little man then took flight in an air balloon, laughing as deserted the young (now penniless) Zora.

This was more than enough to convince the boy that he needed to learned some ranged skills. After a few months of frustration with a bow and arrow, he dropped the bow entirely. He returned to his master in Nabooru town for training in magic. After two more years of training, he'd mastered only a tiny elemental burst, for which he settled for (realizing he had little to no magical talent). He now however, had mastered a ranged skill. Feeling more confident than ever, he entered a larger tournament being held in the town of Darunia. He easily won most of the battles in the tournament, but fought to his limits in his last battle against a Sheikah mage named Rasul. The mage was an expert in Shadow element magic, and beat the Zora in the final round of the tournament. Taint was crushed by this defeat, and wound up staying in the hospital for a while before leaving back to Nabooru.

Upon returning to the city (in all of his shame), an elderly woman rushed to him from the riverside. She begged for the Zora's help, and he complied, following her down the river. "The River Devil! Its got my grandson! Oh please help him! If you don't, he'll meet a grisly fate! Oh please!!" It didn't take long for Taint to accept. And so an hour later there he stood at cave that the river fed. He unsheathed his sword, and ventured into the cave. A week later the woman was laying flowers down by two tombstones, each positioned by the riverside. One of them read, "Timmy Longshire- the best grandson a grandma could ask for". The other read, "To the brave Zora I foolishly sent in after the River Devil..." She had been replacing the flowers every day for three days after Taint ventured into the cave. She was certain that the poor Zora had met the same fate as her grandson.

It was at that very moment that a malnourished Zora rose from the river carrying a boy over his shoulder. She was so taken aback by the Zora's survival that she began to cry. Taint placed the boy on the grass, and returned to the river. "Where are you going?!" The woman cried as she tended to her grandson. The Zora disappeared under the water for a few moments before returning carrying a large head of a monster. "To get my trophy..." He weakly replied before collapsing on the riverside. He awoke in the hospital with his room full of gifts and balloons. From that moment forth, he was known as Taint, the Savior of Nabooru. The people loved him, and treated him as their true savior. The slaying of the River Devil was huge news, and spread all throughout the continent. Taint's old master of course, was getting students from everywhere, and he continued to brag on the Zora's success.

Then. Disaster.

The Kasuto Town incident. The Zora messed up. And he messed up bad.

What exactly happened in that town remains classified, but an entire city was destroyed on the Zora's behalf. He was exiled from the continent, and his master, who denied ever knowing Taint, was hung as well.

Now, the Zora wanders around in Hyrule as a bum, doing whatever good deeds he could. He still remains jolly as ever to this day- just no nearly as famous.
__________________
http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5356971&dateline=1283  870804
Last Edited by ZeldaVeteran; 09-08-2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Shrub Shrub is offline
Tactician Keybearer
Send a message via AIM to Shrub Send a message via Skype™ to Shrub


Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest City Quarter
View Posts: 5,036
Re: Taint

Hey there, I'm your approver-person. This looks pretty good, but there's a few things we need to look over/edit before I give you my stampy of approval:
Quote:
Weapon(s): Taint has a rusty old sword that given to him by a pirate crew that he joined in his rebellious young age. He's had this sword for a long time, and it's rusty because of the Zora's love for the water, and his refusal to part with the weapon even for a moment. It's a very average looking sword with a hilt customized to Taint's grip, and a three foot blade.
3 feet is actually considered pretty big for a sword. Especially for a guy that's only 5' 7". Think about it, that's the majority of Taint's height. You might want to consider taking it down to about ... *searches Wiki* 2 foot 5 inches for an arming sword (a pretty average sword) to be considered "very average looking." I guess you can take this as just advice rather than necessary for my approval. I'm just saying, these dimensions are more believable and might be important in a fight. If you keep the dimensions as it is, please just don't say it's "average" because that's a pretty long sword if it's 3 feet in blade length, and if it's going to be 3 feet in blade length, also consider that he would most likely need two hands to wield it.

And here's another suggestion: if he got the sword from a pirate maybe it should be a cutlass? In my opinion I think it would fit Taint's image very well. It's a shorter sword than an arming sword and better for slashing and close-combat as the Wiki article says. Again, not necessary, just something to chew on.
Quote:
Armor: Taint has virtually no armor. He relies on his quick reflexes to dodge incoming attacks, and thus far has been extremely lucky. He does however carry around a shield that he bought recently with his winning at the Annual Castle Celebration.
Now here is something that is necessary: I need more details about the shield. What is it made of? What are its dimensions? (Width, height, thickness, etc) How old is it? New looking? Worn-out looking?
Quote:
Defense
Taint trains extremely hard to achieve his potential (which he believes he hasn't found). While the Zora is extremely adept in the ways of the sword, he also has a little "ace in the hole". Through constant training, the Zora can focus his will to cast a strong defense spell that makes his skin like stone for a brief time. His speed is also greatly increased, as the skill also lightens the body. Because of this, however, he can be knocked great distances when using this boost in power. A blue aura surrounds him when he begins the spell, and he builds up power for a brief instant before releasing it in a show of blue sparks! The aura wraps around him like flames, and he becomes a force to be reckoned with.
More advice here, you might want to drop that underlined part. I'm just saying, there's a lot of powerful characters in the Haven. It's hard to find a normal one. So don't always expect him to be a force to be reckoned with, because there are plenty of people could probably handle his hard skin easily.

Now, about that hard skin. When you say "like stone" is it only as hard a stone and what kind of stone (rocks can vary in tough and hardness)? I need to know all the limitations. What could break his skin? What can't break it? Does the blue aura give him anything else or just the hard skin and lightness? How long does it last? These questions need to be answered.
Quote:
Elemental Burst
He can also launch an elemental burst of magic in the form of either water element or lightning element. It's not very powerful, but it's his only ranged attack, and knock the opponent off balance long enough for him to quickly close the gap between them.
I understand the knocking off balance with a blast of water, but you need to go into more detail concerning the lightning blast. I'm sure it can knock someone over, but lightning also tends to, well, electrocute people. Tell me how badly it does this.

Also, be clear that he can only use water in blasts as opposed to more delicate tasks like freezing it or only move small amounts at a time in a specific and more intricate movements.
Quote:
Battle Strengths: While the Zora isn't very strong, he's agile and precise. He's quite acrobatic, and often strikes from many awkward angles. His overall unorthodox fighting style has earned him the nickname "Drunken Warrior" even though he's entirely sober, and is in fact allergic to alcohol. His courage is also unnaturally strong, allowing himself to push him to his greatest limits.

Battle Weaknesses: Taint can be killed by any fatal wound that would kill an average man. This includes but is not limited to decapitation, amputation, impalement, etc. He's not naturally weak to any element of magic. He is however terrified of fire and shadow elements. The Zora, as I mentioned before, is also allergic to nearly all forms of alcohol.
Underlined part belongs in the Battle Strengths. Also, considering this strength, does this mean he's NOT more weak to heat and dryness? If so, reconsider this because he's essentially a fish person. He's more likely to be comfortable in cool and damp environments, thus more likely to be agitated in hot and dry ones. Also considering this, maybe you should add that he needs to get wet every few days or he may dry out? It just seems sensible to me, and it's sad when I see people use Zoras and do not consider the factor of how much a fish-person might need more water on a regular basis than say a Hylian or human.

His fear of fire might suggest that Zora are in fact weak to the fire element too.

Okay, now I'm going to take you back to something mentioned in his little "Defense" thing:
Quote:
While the Zora is extremely adept in the ways of the sword
You say this here, and yet don't mention it at all in his strengths. And then you say this about his Personality:
Quote:
He's rather insecure about his lack of ability, and always feels inferior to any combatant he comes across.
So, my question is: is he really "extremely adept" with his sword or not? Or are you trying to say he may be better at it than he believes himself to be compared to others? Either way, make this clear and consistent.
Quote:
Battle Strengths: While the Zora isn't very strong, he's agile and precise. He's quite acrobatic, and often strikes from many awkward angles. His overall unorthodox fighting style has earned him the nickname "Drunken Warrior" even though he's entirely sober, and is in fact allergic to alcohol. His courage is also unnaturally strong, allowing himself to push him to his greatest limits.
Quote:
Vices:
- He's a big chicken.
- Has a small attention span.
Note the underlined. Make this clear and consistent. Why would be brave one moment and then considered to be a big chicken the next?

And on an end note ... who would name their child Taint?
__________________

“We must be greater than what we suffer.”
[Between the Worlds|A Light in the Dark|Empire of Darkness|Under the Red Sea]
Last Edited by Shrub; 09-08-2010 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-08-2010, 11:14 PM
ZeldaVeteran ZeldaVeteran is a male United States ZeldaVeteran is offline
Kokiri
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kakariko Village
View Posts: 79
Re: Taint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrub View Post
3 feet is actually considered pretty big for a sword.
SERIOUS typo. Meant 2 feet- my sister was rushing me because she had homework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrub View Post
here is something that is necessary: I need more details about the shield. What is it made of? What are its dimensions? (Width, height, thickness, etc) How old is it? New looking? Worn-out looking?
I missed quite a lot huh? It's an iron shield of common dimensions. It's basically the same size as Link's Hylian Shield from Ocarina of Time.

EDIT: Oh, and it's brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrub View Post
More advice here, you might want to drop that underlined part. I'm just saying, there's a lot of powerful characters in the Haven. It's hard to find a normal one. So don't always expect him to be a force to be reckoned with, because there are plenty of people could probably handle his hard skin easily.
I'm sure they could. By hard as stone, I mean it would be impossible to cut through without an ultra heated blade, or one of those swords with vibration effects. This is still to say that he'd be light enough that he could be knocked off balance by a simple sword strike, just not cut. He gains nothing more the lightness and skin armor. It lasts for 3 minutes, or until he loses focus. By getting knocked out, gravely wounded, or winning the battle, he'll lose the focus for the technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrub View Post
I understand the knocking off balance with a blast of water, but you need to go into more detail concerning the lightning blast. I'm sure it can knock someone over, but lightning also tends to, well, electrocute people. Tell me how badly it does this.
The lightning blast does everything that a normal bolt of lightning would. This includes electrocution, and branching off to multiple targets if they're close, or wearing something conductive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrub View Post
Also, be clear that he can only use water in blasts as opposed to more delicate tasks like freezing it or only move small amounts at a time in a specific and more intricate movements.
Only blasts of water. He's no water bender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrub View Post
Also, considering this strength, does this mean he's NOT more weak to heat and dryness? If so, reconsider this because he's essentially a fish person. He's more likely to be comfortable in cool and damp environments, thus more likely to be agitated in hot and dry ones.
He hates being burned, and he hates the spine chilling feeling of Shadow magic. He's not specifically weak to them, but he is afraid of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrub View Post
Also considering this, maybe you should add that he needs to get wet every few days or he may dry out? It just seems sensible to me, and it's sad when I see people use Zoras and do not consider the factor of how much a fish-person might need more water on a regular basis than say a Hylian or human.
Sorry my Zora didn't please you master.
Nah, that's a given. Zora need water, and I thought that was common sense. I should be more specific with my attributes then.
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrub View Post
His fear of fire might suggest that Zora are in fact weak to the fire element too.
Nah, he just hates burns. They take forever to heal, y'know?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrub View Post
Okay, now I'm going to take you back to something mentioned in his little "Defense" thing:You say this here, and yet don't mention it at all in his strengths. And then you say this about his Personality: So, my question is: is he really "extremely adept" with his sword or not? Or are you trying to say he may be better at it than he believes himself to be compared to others? Either way, make this clear and consistent. Note the underlined. Make this clear and consistent. Why would be brave one moment and then considered to be a big chicken the next?
He's very skilled in the ways of the sword; in fact, he's better than most he comes across. He's not confident in any way though. And while he's afraid of nearly everything, he won't back down from a challenge. He's a big chicken, but he'll never run from a fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrub View Post
And on an end note ... who would name their child Taint?
This character is an old one. I've RP'd for almost six years at a different site, and this was made as a goof character. I have a powerful character named Dogura Shadowclaw, and he would be a force to be reckoned with- even here. He's a beast, I swear. But I got tired of being omnipotent, and thus Taint came along. I just thought of the worst thing I could name him, and did it. Taint, however, was a huge success, and everyone I RP'd with fell in love with the guy. He's my favorite NPC, and the Taint that I'll be RPing here is the Taint as everyone first met him in the Role Play site I came from. In that site, he's come a long way, making friends, learning new skills, etc. Taint is Taint, and that's all there is to it.
__________________
http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5356971&dateline=1283  870804
Last Edited by ZeldaVeteran; 09-08-2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Shrub Shrub is offline
Tactician Keybearer
Send a message via AIM to Shrub Send a message via Skype™ to Shrub


Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest City Quarter
View Posts: 5,036
Re: Taint

I see

Besides that, edit all of this into your first post, and then tell me when it's ready for me to look at again.
__________________

“We must be greater than what we suffer.”
[Between the Worlds|A Light in the Dark|Empire of Darkness|Under the Red Sea]
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-08-2010, 11:40 PM
ZeldaVeteran ZeldaVeteran is a male United States ZeldaVeteran is offline
Kokiri
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kakariko Village
View Posts: 79
Re: Taint

Alright man, I think it's all set.
Not sure when I'll start RPing, but when I feel the flame, I'll start up a joinable topic in the CrossRoads. Got some sick stories in my arsenal- I only hope the RPers are as active as the main part of the forum.

So.

Does everything check out now?
__________________
http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5356971&dateline=1283  870804
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Shrub Shrub is offline
Tactician Keybearer
Send a message via AIM to Shrub Send a message via Skype™ to Shrub


Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest City Quarter
View Posts: 5,036
Re: Taint

You know, normally I'd be more picky, but you sound like you've been doing this for a while. So I guess I'll trust you. If you want an RP partner, I'm interested. Taint does seem like fun ^^ So let me know if you want to RP sometime.


P.S. Be sure to post in the Character Directory and read the opening post carefully.
__________________

“We must be greater than what we suffer.”
[Between the Worlds|A Light in the Dark|Empire of Darkness|Under the Red Sea]
Last Edited by Shrub; 09-08-2010 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-08-2010, 11:48 PM
ZeldaVeteran ZeldaVeteran is a male United States ZeldaVeteran is offline
Kokiri
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kakariko Village
View Posts: 79
Re: Taint

Awesome, thanks a lot. I'm clear on most rules of RP. I'll take a look at that post, and yeah- going on six years XD

Thanks a bunch!

PS: I'll shoot you a PM whenever I put a topic up. Trying to think up a new one rather than use an old one.
__________________
http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5356971&dateline=1283  870804
Last Edited by ZeldaVeteran; 09-08-2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
Reply

« Ruin | Willius »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -