Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-13-2006, 07:42 PM
What if I should fall right through the center of the Earth?
Send a message via AIM to Sakume

View Posts: 4,942
Heaven's Light

OOC: Hello there. This is Selene's story. I wanted to elaborate on her story, then get back to work on my other character's. Feel free to comment during the spaces of the chapters and tell me what you think.

BiC: Heaven…how does one go about describing heaven? Even today, I feel sometimes like I can’t. Though I have spent many years there, I still cannot find the words. I suppose it’s best if I simply tell you, rather than spend hours in vain striving to discover descriptive efforts.

Have you ever thought about how strange it is that some memories we cannot recall, yet others we still see every day? Well, my life is just like that. My name is Selene Vlaxen, and this is my story.

*Chapter 1*

“Butterfly kisses”

“Selene? Selene? Where are you?” I heard my mother’s voice. She was the queen of our angelic race, the precipice of possible beauty. To me, it was all a game. I hid, and she had to find me. I peeked through the crack in the cupboard and stifled my childish giggles. She’d never find me, never!

Guess what? She did. My mother knew me too well, and memorized my hiding places even better than I did. “There you are, you little cherub.” She picked me up and hugged me. I was eight years old at this time, still naïve about the angelic world in which I lived. “You thought you could hide from me?” It is said I have her looks, but I’ve never felt I even partially measure up to her. Because she is a female queen of our race, her wings are somewhat larger than a male’s would be. They are a purest white as is possible to imagine.

“I thought so, Mommy.” I replied, blinking innocently up at her.

“Well, you were found out!” She laughs as she tickles me. I squirm as I echo her laugh, but mine is nowhere near as pure. She has a laugh that compares to a chorus of bells, perfectly toned. Mine sounds somewhat like a wind chime, I get that from my father.

“Mommy, can I go out and play?” I ask, wanting to take a walk to ease my mind in the beauty of our world. I knew of nothing else.

“Yes, my sweet love.” She begins to caress my back as she had lately. I did not know why, but my mother said it was because my wings were growing in. Near my spine, I had a red bump on each side, like a late adult in the human world would get their wisdom teeth. Even as a young girl, I was fascinated with mortals. They seemed to live such fascinating lives…I squirmed in my mother’s secure hold, wanting to leave.

“Bye, Mommy…” I chirped, running down the marble staircase. I paid no attention to the servants, for today I was allowed to go outside by myself! What a treasure! I burst out of the door, another perfect day to greet me. The streets reflected the sun’s shine in their brilliant golden rays, paved in that sheen of the pure precious metal. I almost felt like singing; it was the sort of day in which you just randomly begin to dance.

People were busily going about their business, and so I decided to weave along the pathway, a perky smile on my face. Once you received your wings, you were considered a somewhat big kid, but most angels grew theirs around the age of five or six. I still did not have mine, and they were only barely visible under the skin. When you could fly using them, you were a teenager. Most who were my age could hover for a moment, perhaps gain a few feet, but never higher than fifteen. When you were born, you were selected for one of three purposes.

If you were a boy, you were appointed as either a soldier in the army, or a guardian. If you were extremely lucky, you could be selected to stay in heaven, running errands as a messenger angel. These were the choices if you were a boy. Many of the boys wanted to go into the army to fight the demon forces that were always rising against us, but they would not be allowed to until they were at least able to fly, coming of age at fifteen.

In my case, as a girl, you also had three choices. You could not fight in the army, for only males were allowed to do that. Nor could you be a messenger, unless you proved you were fast enough. Most girls were either guardians, or most likely, a submitter. If you became one of these, you basically married and stayed your entire life up here, making more angels. There was also working for the records book, a special tool that recorded everything about every soul below on earth…

That story about people, mortals coming to heaven when they die? It’s true, but not quite completely. There are two sorts of heaven. The first is determined for us alone, no human has ever entered…then there’s another one, where few angels actually are chosen to live. It’s more of a punishment…for those who are sent there. But…perhaps not. I had always wanted to see a human up close.

My path had not been chosen, and I flew past the crowds towards the playground, where most children my age spent time. My heart fell as I realized only the bullies were there. These were boys, who had already grown their wings and only found delight in teasing me with the fact that I had none. I had frozen in place. I was wearing my small white dress, something designated for all young girls.

“Hey, guys! Look what we have here! It’s the little wingless princess!” Well, they were right. “What do you want, anyway?”

“I just wanted to play…will you guys play with me?” I asked, shy and timid. I had a good idea of what they would say, but I didn’t want to put myself out.

“What do you think?” The head one asked, sniffing in my direction. “We don’t play with wingless people. You might as well be a human.” He was a pretty boy angel; his brown hair was a sheen of silk, lovely to any girl…but me. That was a direct insult, but not to me. I had often thought of being a mortal.

“Yeah, my dad says your dad is a terrible king, anyway!” Another boy pointed; a proud swelling in his chest looked as if he had swallowed a balloon. “We don’t play with the likes of you.”

Stupid boys…I held my head low, my feelings were damaged, but I knew what they would say, so it was my own fault. Slowly, I began to back away. Another day of fun for me…alone. Oh well. It wasn’t like it didn’t happen every day anyway.

I slouched, passing by the silvery lake. The water gleamed as clear as glass, and as the sunlight sparkled on the surface, some flowers grew. It almost made me sadder, if that was possible. I didn’t fit in anywhere. The girls my age spent all their time trying to impress the male angels, helping each other fly. It was no use to me…I had no wings.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2006, 11:19 AM

Re: Heaven's Light

OOC: Indeed, I used one quote from Chobits in here. It kindof relates...just a bit. So in this situation, it worked. Let it go.

Chapter 2

*Darkness stirs*

That day was a normal day. Nothing went against the plans; I wanted to get through my check-up at the doctor’s and leave to play. He was inspecting me for my wing problem. True, they had finally grown in, but something was horribly wrong. As I felt his gentle, firm hand run along my back, I began to think fondly of the next week.

My tenth birthday…what an occasion. It was the big double digit party to which no one would come. I knew already what the results were. I had to be careful not to argue with father again. The last time I had raised a suggestion against his orders, I found out how real “the hole” was. On earth, I had read tales of magnificent monsters that hid in the closets of children and came out only at night when they were bad. In heaven, we as children were threatened with “the hole.”

It was as real as yesterday for me, though it had been about a month ago. I was merely suggesting something we may do for my birthday. My father asked to see my wings. Being the king, I could not refuse his orders, no angel could. I turned about and pointed to the now swelling lumps on my back. At least they were growing now, and perhaps I would be accepted. “Here, father…”

He examined them, and pursed his lips. “I do not see anything.” His gaze was serious as stone, cold and unfeeling.

I sank under his tall figure, unsure of what to do. “They are growing in…I just request, father, that I put up a few decorations and perhaps…have a friend over for some celebration?”

“No.” His reply was like thunder, but I held my firm stance. He must have been surprised, for he cocked his head, a glare on his face. “Did you say something, Selene?”

“No, father.” I was innocent, for I had not dared to slander my father’s name in the least.

“Do not lie.”

“I’m not, father.” He did not believe me. My mother was not present that day; she took off doing some business in another part of heaven. I was left to the most horrible punishment imaginable by a child of heaven…what we called the hole. It was really real. I didn’t think it was, but I was wrong…I cried out, pleaded with my father not to punish me, but he didn’t listen. He never became fond of me, though I didn’t know why. Two soldiers took me to the dreaded place, the place I still shudder to think of.

They opened a door, something like a portal. I felt my body being shoved inside, and fell. Down into nothing I sank, until I finally hit something hard. I opened my eyes, but nothing could be seen. I hesitantly waved a hand in front of my face, but there was no sign of it at all. Tears trickled down my chin, but I firmly wiped them away. It was my fault I was thrown in here. I should never question authority, especially my father. This was the dreaded hole. I already knew how things would work. I was not allowed out at all, unless I could get my father’s appeal. He could choose when I would be allowed out once again. Until then, it was the punishment of no food, no water, and no light. No light…

This was the most horrible. Angels needed light; we thrived off of pure things. We could not survive for long in this darkness. I felt alone, and that was one of the greatest weaknesses of all. Not for all angels, just me. I did not want to be alone. No boy had shown any interest in me yet, why would they later? My mother always said that angels reach their peaks of beauty after their wings grow in...but it wasn't so for me. How I wished my mother was here to stop this madness...I was afraid. Why did my father hate me so? I did not mean to make him angry with me…these questions plagued me for some time, but I could not tell as it passed. I dared not get up to explore in this darkness, for I might not be able to return to my spot, so I lay curled up in a fetal position, until I heard the voice.

“Γειάσου...” it whispered, in the olden language. I suddenly understood it, despite the fact that I had never studied Greek. Many children were supposed to learn it, but I was among the few that did not…yet I knew what it meant.

“Hello.” I greeted back, in a still, small voice that showed fear, yet curiosity.

“Είμαι... εδώ Είναι εγώ...”

I did not understand. This voice was saying “I’m here…it’s me…” but I did not recognize it. “Who are you?” I asked, longing for any company at all.

“Selene.”

I nearly jumped out of my skin. “I’m Selene…” I whispered. “You can’t be Selene, too…”

“I’m always with you…” The voice stated, in a hushed whisper. For just a moment, I saw a form began to visualize, but this couldn’t be…there was no light, so how could I see? A replica of myself appeared in front of me, albeit in all black clothing, somewhat scantily-clad. This was something shocking to me, for this was normally not allowed. She had a look on her face of sadness, and remorse, yet innocence. She was exactly like me. I reached for her, and our fingertips connected. She smiled, and I felt we shared a connection. “I am Selene.”

For a few days, she was my only friend, my only company. Angels could survive for longer periods without food and water than humans could. As her presence grew, I noticed I could call her from my body, by imagining some great feeling. Love, sadness, anger, anything that was from my emotions would work. She was quiet, almost solemn, yet sad…we would talk of better things, trying to rid the feeling that this was a dream. There were a few differences between us; she seldom smiled, almost never. She never referred to anyone by anything other than their name…but me. She called me her friend, her companion, her being. She was naïve, but she was grief-stricken for some reason.

I talked to her on regular intervals, unsure of what to say. “Do you think I can find someone who is just for me…someone…just for me?” I asked her, holding a hand over my legs.

She leaned forward, disappearing, though I could feel her hands on top of mine for a moment. “You must not let anyone touch you…Not unless they are your beloved. If you ever have any release of emotion…I will help you…”

I heard something from another realm, almost as if someone were coming to get me. I heard her voice grow weaker. “I cannot stay…you are not strong enough to hold me…and I am not strong enough to live in you. I must leave…”

“Please! Don’t leave! Stay with me…be my friend…” I begged, not knowing the consequences that would come from this request.

“Only if I am with you…only then can I survive…I must go…”

“Then be with me! Please, don’t leave me!”

She paused, a sad look entering her blue orbs. “If you wish this...it cannot be undone…” Light from the outside world began to enter the hole, and I reached out to her, grabbing her hand in mine. I felt a rough pain enter me, as if my heart had simply burst into flames. “Come with me…” her whispery voice echoed in my mind. My back began to tremble, and I felt something pierce through the skin, reaching a hand behind my neck, I realized. The pain symbolized my feathers, they had shot through my skin…and they were my wings.

“Stay with me…stay with me…always…” I whispered, the lack of nourishment making me overly weakened and unable to stay conscious.

“Selene…I will stay with you…always….”
Last Edited by Sakume; 10-15-2006 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2006, 10:20 PM
yeah, I'm an old ZU'er. Just inactive now.
Send a message via AIM to nekoryuuha Send a message via Yahoo to nekoryuuha
View Posts: 674

Well, I enjoyed this. Good job.

My characters (Old)
Tsukineko (Rework in progress)

#4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Yin Key Bearer
Send a message via AIM to Zorolo
View Posts: 9,598

Quite milady, tis most excellent. (I'm sorry for not posting first, must have skipped my mind.) I hope to see more of this.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Princess of Twilight
View Posts: 312

It is very good. Keep it up, i'm enjoing it a lot.

Hey guys, these are my songs, check them out please http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/...srion-2-a.html
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2006, 08:08 PM

Chapter 3

*Finding a Will to go on*

I was now ten years old, what a birthday that was. No one came, just as I predicted. Although I was a bit hurt, it didn’t sting like it usually would have. I found a friend now. Sure, most of the angel children refused to associate with me at all now, but at least she listened to me when I needed comfort, or someone to talk to out of loneliness.

I waltzed to the playground, convinced that no one would be there. Oh, how wrong I was. The boys were there like always, the head of the group, Kinir, staring me down like he always did. I was not in the mood for teasing that day, so I steered clear. Unfortunately, he landed in front of me, poking my crimson wings with a wince.

“Leave me alone, Kinir! I don’t want to talk to you!” I huffed, folding my wings together and walking off, prepared to give a cold shoulder all the way. She gave me courage I didn’t know I had until she whispered.

“Gosh, I feel for you Selene…I really do.” He whispered, his boys gathering about him.

“You do?” I turned, hope springing up within me.

“Yeah…it must be pretty bad to be shunned by your own father…by the king. Don’t feel bad, though…if we didn’t have cowards who are afraid of the hole, we couldn’t tell who the really brave ones are…” He said with a sickening smirk.

“Hey, leave her alone!” I turned to see who had dared to stand up Kinir. Time itself froze. He was a boy…I had seen him before, but never outside. He was wearing a white robe, something that symbolized a position of status, but he must have been new in the group to stand up to his boss…

“Can it, Will!” Kinir turned with a sneer, glaring at the new boy.

“Make me!” He stated, positioning himself in front of me. His wheat hair was tied up in a small ponytail, and his arms were crossed. “Have you ever even been in the hole, huh?”

Kinir paused in silence. He hadn’t been in the hole. “Well….no! Because I’m not evil like that demon!” He pointed towards me, and it felt as if an arrow pierced my heart.

Gasps echoed around the whole group, for in heaven calling a fellow angel a demon was the worst kind of insult possible. “Take that back…” My protector threatened, rolling up his sleeves.

“No!” Kinir spread his wings, hovering slightly above the ground to show off his talent.

“Take it back!” Will echoed the action, and gasps again reverberated about the small gathering. Even my own eyes opened wide. His wings…were huge! Most men were much smaller than women, but it looked as if his were already twice the size of what they should have been.

“Fight, fight, fight…” A chanting began to occur around the group, and Will and Kinir both began to rise steadily, until they had reached a height of around five feet. Will continued to rise above that, marking a distance of seven before halting.

“Are you going to take that back, or are we going to have ourselves a game, Kinir?” he asked, his blue eyes sparkling dangerously in a challenge.

The brunette angel seemed confident, but his eyes told otherwise. “Okay! Let’s go!” First one to the lake and back wins! If I win, you have to be my slave for a week! If you win, I’ll leave the crimson demon alone.”

Will agreed, and the race was on. I spread my own wings, and before I knew it, I had beaten them both. Who would win…I watched anxiously, sweat beading my forehead. As I watched with the other children, parents began to come to pick us up. One by one they were taken home, until Kinir’s father arrived. He was one of the heads of the army, a high status in heaven. He gave me a small rough push as he brushed past, placing his hands on his hips. “Kinir! You get over here now, boy!”

“Oooowwww!” His reply came, and I gasped as Will came through the finish line, carrying the boy in his arms. Kinir’s arm was split wide open, and blood was spilling all over the ground.

His father’s reaction was amazingly fast. Within moments, he had his son out of Will’s arms and into his own, tying up the wound. “What happened here?!” he exclaimed, just as my parents showed up, along with Will’s.

All eyes turned to Will, whose once white robe was stained in the angel’s blood. “We were having a race…” he whispered in fear. “I wanted to help…but Kinir said we should go through the training range…he was cheating. During the range…some shrapnel came…and he got cut open…”

“Preposterous!” Kinir’s father bellowed, glaring towards Jack, Will’s father. “Your son took a bad choice, and my son followed his example!”

“What? No! Not Will! It’s your son that’s causing all the trouble around here!” Jack retorted, blowing a piece of his dark hair out of his eyes.

“It was my fault…” Every eye turned upon me. “I didn’t mean…I thought…I made them race…”

My mother’s lips parted in sorrow. “Oh, Selene…”
I could already tell what most of them were thinking. After a moment of silence, my father turned to face the little brunette angel. “Is that the truth?”

Kinir, of course, could always be counted upon. “Yup. That’s how it happened.”

Will tried to say something, but his father gave him a quick smack to his back, pushing him along. “Let’s go home, Will! You’re getting a large punishment for this…”

I was also prodded home, unknowing of the terrible things I had just inflicted upon poor Will…all I wanted was to help…but I would soon find out that I had done something quite different…and that he and I would grow much closer than we expected.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2006, 08:15 PM
yeah, I'm an old ZU'er. Just inactive now.
Send a message via AIM to nekoryuuha Send a message via Yahoo to nekoryuuha
View Posts: 674

I very much enjoyed that. Beautiful work Sakume.

My characters (Old)
Tsukineko (Rework in progress)

#8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Yin Key Bearer
Send a message via AIM to Zorolo
View Posts: 9,598

Neko is right, it is most beautiful lady Sakume. I can't wait to see your next post.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-14-2007, 03:04 PM

OOC: Thanks both of you. I suppose I had better keep going rather than this fade out.

Chapter 4

*The Day of the End of Her Life*

I drooped both in position and in wings. I had failed once more. The training months had not been kind to me. I did not want to become a simple angel wife to these stuck-up men. The only one that interested me in the least sense was Will, and I was afraid to get close to him. He liked me in return, we had even sworn our love to one another, but he was a "commoner". I, as the destined queen of angels, needed to attain a more respectable husband my father had said.

I flashed Will an embarassed smile, blowing a few of my golden hair strands out of my face. The stuff was always getting into my way, blocking my vision. "Hi."

"Hi." Will chuckled softly, alighting into the air and helping me out of the tangle. "You're supposed to dodge the ropes, not attract them."

"I know. I'm just a clumsy person, that's all." I flashed him a smile as I hovered beside him, giving my wings an occasional flap. "Thank you, Will. Are you alright still? Have you felt any pain lately?" Now twelve years old, I looked at his back in hope. Two years ago, after Kinir had gotten hurt, which in fact was possible (but didn't happen often) in the lower heaven, Will's father had plucked out each of the boy's feathers in punishment. Since Will grew extra-large wings as a child, there was a lot of pain for him. Sometimes he still revealed to me in secret how much it hurt.

"No, I'm alright, Selene. They haven't pained me for a while now. Oh, and guess what I learned?"

"What's that?" I asked as they slowly flew in the direction of the palace, large and unmistakable.

"I'm working in the palace soon. I'm going to be a cook's assistant. Not much of a job, I know, until I go into the army, that is. That's what my father wants. I never liked it much, but at the age of fifteen, Dad says I have to become a man and learn how to fight. For now, though, I get to work in the kitchen."

I giggled, happy. "I'm very pleased you get to work with my family, Will. If I could have a choice, I would... I would choose you."

Will offered me what looked like a small smile that slowly expanded. "You really would?"

"Yes."

"Why?" Will asked, a puzzled look replacing his smile. "I'm nothing special."

"Oh yes you are." I insisted, suddenly pushing himself closer to him and giving him a small peck on the cheek.

He turned as red as a beet, his body nearly falling from the sky in what looked like surprise. "Um...I..." He stammered a few times while I laughed. Boys were so funny when they liked you and you liked them. "Gee, thanks Selene."

"No problem." I flew home, and waited for a few weeks. Will indeed began to work in the palace and he and I began to conduct secret meetings. He tested many of his new creations, much of them dessert on me. I always enjoyed his food. Days passed, and then years. I still held our meetings of secret love until Will and I were discovered alone together. My father took me the edge of our realm, where the gates were closed. He used his authority to open them and gave me one of those fatherly looks.

"You and that boy have been causing me nothing but trouble ever since you both were born." His face was stern, unyielding.

"I didn't mean to displease you, father."

"Of course you didn't. You should've never been born." He spoke with a straight face. "That's why I'm releasing you from all of our lives."

"What...what do you mean, father?" I stammered after a moment, scared. "Where's mom?"

"She's not here. She won't be. Nothing will stop me. I've come this far, and even you won't stand in my way. Be gone with you!" A sudden power unlike anything I had ever felt smacked me in the stomach, and I staggered back, my feet leaving any solid ground. My body seemed paralized, as if I couldn't do anything to defend myself. I simply fell, without any restrictions, down into the blackness of an unconcious mind.

Tags
heaven, light