Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Lady Rao Lady Rao is a female Lady Rao is offline
Banned User
Join Date: Oct 2008
View Posts: 225
Artist in need of lots of criticism

I need help with my drawings, I need LOTS of criticism so that I can get better. I've been drawing for a while and it doesn't seem like I'm getting any better. I've tried drawing books, but they don't help me much. I am begging for criticism here, DeviantArt sucks. Help me please.

The original drawings:


The drawings from a book:




Pokemon:


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
We built Mute City on Rock and Roll
Steam ID: FlorinaBelmont 3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Asgard
View Posts: 22,605
Re: Artist in need of lots of criticism

The handdrawn ones: Well, for one, i think going away from the anime style wouldnt hurt. That was a part of the problem with me, i was trying to draw like that and failed. Try another style. Also theres not alot of shading on them, making them look less defined.

On the Pokemon, i really dont have much to add, seeing how i am not terribly familiar with those pokemon. I would say that they arent bad for digital. MS Paint?
__________________


(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Lady Rao Lady Rao is a female Lady Rao is offline
Banned User
Join Date: Oct 2008
View Posts: 225
Re: Artist in need of lots of criticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florina Belmont View Post
The handdrawn ones: Well, for one, i think going away from the anime style wouldnt hurt. That was a part of the problem with me, i was trying to draw like that and failed. Try another style. Also theres not alot of shading on them, making them look less defined.

On the Pokemon, i really dont have much to add, seeing how i am not terribly familiar with those pokemon. I would say that they arent bad for digital. MS Paint?
I've been trying to go away from it, I'm better at realism. I'll try more shading I really don't like my style of drawing, and changing from it is kinda hard.

No, I used paint. net for them. Which is a lot like ms paint, but you get more ways to change the picture.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 05:09 PM
CourageWielder CourageWielder is a female United States CourageWielder is offline
What do you know? It DOES fetch...
Send a message via Skype™ to CourageWielder
Steam ID: Anna Valente Wii U ID: CourageWielder
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Aboard the Nemesis
View Posts: 6,953
Re: Artist in need of lots of criticism

Like Florina said, try something like you did with that one Joker pic I saw at your house that time. Realistic or a unique style other than anime (like VG Cats, etc.) would be a good start. It gives more of a challenge, and it veers away from what most people like to draw as these days. But, that's coming from your friend. ^_^;
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Lady Rao Lady Rao is a female Lady Rao is offline
Banned User
Join Date: Oct 2008
View Posts: 225
Re: Artist in need of lots of criticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourageWielder View Post
Like Florina said, try something like you did with that one Joker pic I saw at your house that time. Realistic or a unique style other than anime (like VG Cats, etc.) would be a good start. It gives more of a challenge, and it veers away from what most people like to draw as these days. But, that's coming from your friend. ^_^;

I know! Lots of people are drawing in the anime style these days. Think I should post the joker picture?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 05:13 PM
CourageWielder CourageWielder is a female United States CourageWielder is offline
What do you know? It DOES fetch...
Send a message via Skype™ to CourageWielder
Steam ID: Anna Valente Wii U ID: CourageWielder
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Aboard the Nemesis
View Posts: 6,953
Re: Artist in need of lots of criticism

Yes, post it. ^_^ To be honest, I hate a lot of the anime styles anymore. >.> And, you can kill me at school on Monday.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Lady Rao Lady Rao is a female Lady Rao is offline
Banned User
Join Date: Oct 2008
View Posts: 225
Re: Artist in need of lots of criticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourageWielder View Post
Yes, post it. ^_^ To be honest, I hate a lot of the anime styles anymore. >.> And, you can kill me at school on Monday.
I'm not going to killl u, I'm just going to show you the LINK thing again. ^^

It's la joker( I used a guide on the internet to help me >.>
Last Edited by Lady Rao; 09-19-2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
We built Mute City on Rock and Roll
Steam ID: FlorinaBelmont 3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Asgard
View Posts: 22,605
Re: Artist in need of lots of criticism

I actually like the Joker pic much more than the ones you posted. Why? Its all you! I like the original feel of that drawing. Its far more expressive!
Down with anime drawings! ( )
I think coloring the Joker would be cool!
__________________


(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Lady Rao Lady Rao is a female Lady Rao is offline
Banned User
Join Date: Oct 2008
View Posts: 225
Re: Artist in need of lots of criticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florina Belmont View Post
I actually like the Joker pic much more than the ones you posted. Why? Its all you! I like the original feel of that drawing. Its far more expressive!
Down with anime drawings! ( )
I think coloring the Joker would be cool!
I'm quite afraid to color the picture!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 05:47 PM
GooeyKablooie GooeyKablooie is offline
__
Join Date: Aug 2007
View Posts: 8,498
Re: Artist in need of lots of criticism

These guys took the words right out of my mouth with saying not to focus on anime all that much. You should draw how you think feels best, not trying to emulate a "style".
I've come to hear (and realize) that thinking of a specific style while drawing is oftentimes detrimental to the end result, because you corner yourself into copying what you think it should look like instead of what it should look like.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Lady Rao Lady Rao is a female Lady Rao is offline
Banned User
Join Date: Oct 2008
View Posts: 225
Re: Artist in need of lots of criticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchiki View Post
These guys took the words right out of my mouth with saying not to focus on anime all that much. You should draw how you think feels best, not trying to emulate a "style".
I've come to hear (and realize) that thinking of a specific style while drawing is oftentimes detrimental to the end result, because you corner yourself into copying what you think it should look like instead of what it should look like.
I agree, I tend to change things and ruin them by making them that way.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
We built Mute City on Rock and Roll
Steam ID: FlorinaBelmont 3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Asgard
View Posts: 22,605
Re: Artist in need of lots of criticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchiki View Post
These guys took the words right out of my mouth with saying not to focus on anime all that much. You should draw how you think feels best, not trying to emulate a "style".
I've come to hear (and realize) that thinking of a specific style while drawing is oftentimes detrimental to the end result, because you corner yourself into copying what you think it should look like instead of what it should look like.
Oh man, no joke!! *claps* Thats one reason i hit so many road blocks in many of my drawings is because i was trying to do an anime style. Bad news. I never got very far in that respect. Its also loads more fun to draw something in your own style!
__________________


(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 05:53 PM
GooeyKablooie GooeyKablooie is offline
__
Join Date: Aug 2007
View Posts: 8,498
Re: Artist in need of lots of criticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florina Belmont View Post
Oh man, no joke!! *claps* Thats one reason i hit so many road blocks in many of my drawings is because i was trying to do an anime style. Bad news. I never got very far in that respect. Its also loads more fun to draw something in your own style!
Some of my stuff might look anime-ish (it's hard for me to tell, I've been desensitized to it by now), but long before I always copied anime as much as I could, which is a phase I'm glad I grew out of. Since then I've taken some things I like about the anime (and western) style and mix them into the way I do things.

....Now I just need to get better at drawing.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
We built Mute City on Rock and Roll
Steam ID: FlorinaBelmont 3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Asgard
View Posts: 22,605
Re: Artist in need of lots of criticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchiki View Post
Some of my stuff might look anime-ish (it's hard for me to tell, I've been desensitized to it by now), but long before I always copied anime as much as I could, which is a phase I'm glad I grew out of. Since then I've taken some things I like about the anime (and western) style and mix them into the way I do things.

....Now I just need to get better at drawing.
Yeah, same here!
__________________


(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Lady Rao Lady Rao is a female Lady Rao is offline
Banned User
Join Date: Oct 2008
View Posts: 225
Re: Artist in need of lots of criticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchiki View Post
Some of my stuff might look anime-ish (it's hard for me to tell, I've been desensitized to it by now), but long before I always copied anime as much as I could, which is a phase I'm glad I grew out of. Since then I've taken some things I like about the anime (and western) style and mix them into the way I do things.

....Now I just need to get better at drawing.
I don't think I tried to copy the anime, but I know it looks like it. =_=;
Bad thing about anime is that lots of the styles look the same, and If i try to change, no one likes it. Lots of people think if it's not anime styled it's wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 06:06 PM
GooeyKablooie GooeyKablooie is offline
__
Join Date: Aug 2007
View Posts: 8,498
Re: Artist in need of lots of criticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torayuri View Post
Lots of people think if it's not anime styled it's wrong.
That is the most detrimental mindset to art ever.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Lady Rao Lady Rao is a female Lady Rao is offline
Banned User
Join Date: Oct 2008
View Posts: 225
Re: Artist in need of lots of criticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchiki View Post
That is the most detrimental mindset to art ever.
Tell me about it.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Veronica Dare Veronica Dare is offline
You're doing it wrong!
Join Date: Apr 2009
View Posts: 4,230
Re: Artist in need of lots of criticism

Looks really good! The only things are the cheeks on Flareon and Glazeon, and the shadow on Entei.

The cheeks are a little thin, and the shadows suggest that the sun is in different places. The shadows on it's head suggest that the sun is left-up for him, while the shadows on it's spikes suggest that the sun is right over Entei. Other than that, it's really great!
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Lady Rao Lady Rao is a female Lady Rao is offline
Banned User
Join Date: Oct 2008
View Posts: 225
Re: Artist in need of lots of criticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortana View Post
Looks really good! The only things are the cheeks on Flareon and Glazeon, and the shadow on Entei.

The cheeks are a little thin, and the shadows suggest that the sun is in different places. The shadows on it's head suggest that the sun is left-up for him, while the shadows on it's spikes suggest that the sun is right over Entei. Other than that, it's really great!
Thanks. Sometimes I have a hard time putting the shadows in the right places.
Last Edited by Lady Rao; 09-19-2009 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 06:39 PM
AuroraBoreality AuroraBoreality is a female AuroraBoreality is offline
Kokiri
Join Date: Jun 2009
View Posts: 99
Re: Artist in need of lots of criticism

You should develop skills for drawing realistically before you try anime-style.

Also, you're doing the boobs wrong. Maybe it's because they're sticking out to the left and the right too much. And people's faces=/= triangles. You should work on anatomy in general.

I can see that you have the potential to be a really good artist, so you should build off your natural talent and the pride I'm sure you have, to become an even better artist.
Last Edited by AuroraBoreality; 09-19-2009 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drawing, ninja


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 AM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -