Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Banned User
View Posts: 30,568
Oh la la! Zee Art of Lady Ranny! :o

I love French. x3

Anyway, let's try this again, shall we?

This is the new thread where I'll be posting my drawings and such. That should be obvious, nes pas? So, let's start, mes amis! I'll begin with my official artwork for the very first real fictional character I ever created: Kelli. Her name means warrior/defender, and she happens to be both. She's in my Zelda fanfics, The Hidden Powers and Forgotten Tales (not yet released).

I've made many changes to her since she first came into my imagination. She wields the legendary Blade of Sun's Evil, the Sun Sword, and the shield made to go with it, the Sun Shield (obviously, lol XP). The sword and shield have counterparts, btw, the Blade of Moon's Evil, the Moon Sword and the shield the goes with it, which are to be wielded by Link.

Anyway, Kelli may at first glance appear to look like a sort of female Link, and in some ways she is, though in more ways she isn't. Her clothing is basically the female Link part, though they are not the same colors as Link's tunic and boots. Also she once lived in the Kokiri Forest, although for a shorter time than Link did.

The rest of her is basically the opposite of Link. While Link has some knowledge of his family (his mother, as he's OoT Link), Kelli has absolutely none, and while he's usually patient and a team player, Kelli doesn't like waiting a long time and she's somewhat bossy. She also tends to keep too much to herself and doesn't tell things when she should. As for her positives, Kelli is very kind and caring, very devoted, and even has a rather broad sense of humor. She's also supposed to be quite beautiful, I may point out. xP

Oh and if you'd like, I made another version of the picture: Dark Kelli. This villain is supposed to be faster and tougher than Dark Link. Hehehe.

Next up, this:

Ponyta! A cute fire horse Pokemon. I love horses.

This guy is Judo (whose name is a form of martial arts, I know. 'Tis related to how he got his name. :]), whom is Kelli's childhood best friend. They were separated for seven years at age 10, but were reunited at Hyrule Castle one day. Not long after this event, the two fall in love. Ah, I do much like romance! ^^

Anyway, Judo is the commander of the Royal Knights of Hyrule and only appears in Forgotten Tales (which is the sequel to Hidden Powers, I might add). He may be young (about 18), but he's no warrior to underestimate. There's a good reason why the previous commander wanted him to take over, hehe. Judo also has muscles. His strength is similar to Ike's from Fire Emblem 9 and 10. His father disappeared when he was 5 and I tell you, this guy was depressed for a long time. Judo has never been good at getting over tragedies and very sad moments in his life. He almost committed suicide, actually. He's also reckless and a little clumsy. However, Judo also has a great sense of humor and loves jokes and messing around to death (except when he's doing his job, of course). Judo also seeks harsh revenge against those responsible for taking his father away from him. His mother is still around.

I'll be drawing him again in this attire, but in a different pose. Oh yeah, he's supposed to be quite handsome, btw. And don't worry, not all of my fanfic characters are good looking. XD

Next up:

Chibis of me and Darius Andreas, my boyfriend. ^^

We were only best friends when I drew this though.

Paint drawing of Ike's sword, Ragnell. Coolest sword ever, imo. I did the text, shading, and rotation in Photoshop.

Lastly, my most recent picture:

Chibi Elincia kissing chibi Ike on the cheek. They're a cute couple! It's too bad they seemed to have been scrapped after FE9. *sigh*
Last Edited by Sonic Rainboom; 05-29-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason:
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2009, 03:47 PM
American Psycho.
View Posts: 2,447
Re: Oh la la! Zee Art of Lady Ranny! :o

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ictures011.jpg

Reminds me of Ike too much...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...drawing1c2.png

wat. Try flexing and posing your wrist like the person in this pic is doing. Now imagine doing that while holding a heavy sword.

The colors... they irk me for some reason.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../DarkKelli.png

Looks like a recolour (FFS FIREFOX THAT IS HOW YOU SPELL COLOUR) of the previous pic...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ly/Ragnell.png

Drawing? More of a sprite, really. Try to give it some depth and shading.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...linciakiss.png

Those heads and eyes are HUGE. even for anime/chibi style.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Banned User
View Posts: 225

The Kelli picture: Try letting the hair move and the knee could be more rounded.
The Ponyta: The horse's neck is kinda to long and straght. Plus the head seems small.
The Judo: The body is really big for the head.
The Chibi's: Like Kefka said, the eyes and heads are huge.
The Sword: Needs shading and it seems to me that the text killed it.
The Kissing chibi's: The hair doesn't go with the heads, and the heads don't go with the bodies.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2009, 04:15 PM
heart of a lion
Send a message via Skype™ to Red
View Posts: 15,922

I'm more of a writing critic, but I'll try my hand here. Just a quick list of what bugs me and such.

Kelli: The hand that's holding the sword is in one hell of an awkward position. And her tunic/skirt/whatever bugs me. The bottom doesn't look like it's moved at all, which is odd, considering she has one leg up. Unless she has a hole in the side, and one in the bottom, there should be folds and stuff.

Dark Kelli: Recolors are bad. :<

Judo: His sword and feet are pretty damn big

Sword: Looks flat, plain. Like a big sprite, like Kefka said. Try adding detail, maybe some shading. Or don't use paint.

Chibi Ike and other girl: I'm into big eyes and **** [see avatar and sig], but you're pushing the envelope. And no mouths? At all?
Last Edited by Red; 05-29-2009 at 04:17 PM. Reason:
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2009, 04:36 PM
__
View Posts: 8,485

^ First thing that immediately jumps out to me here is the awful colors. For some reason, they just don't work. Not trying to sound like a ****, but the color choices are real ugly for some reason. Also, the shading looks really unnatural, almost like the picture was just stuck under a Photoshop bevel filter. For some odd reason, though, the shading on the right leg looks a lot more convincing than anywhere else in the picture.

^ Nothing to complain about, although I get the feeling this was just drawn straight from an existing picture, which isn't bad for practice, but it's not exactly interesting.

^ This one looks like Ike with Trunks's head. The arm holding the sword looks very off (the random bulges almost make it look like it's erupting with tumors). Also, the head's too small for the body, and the head has no neck, making the bend of the back look strange. I like the boots, though.

^ I don't really like the look of it, but I guess there's nothing to criticize there.

^ The colors don't seem to go together. Using a dead black is usually a bad idea, too, but the hilt completely stands out from the sword and looks like it's not part of it. I think the color has to do with this. My advice is to go for slightly warmer hues (this goes for the blade as well).

^ Not really a fan. These two look like dolls (look at Ike's arms bending outwards), and the heads just don't seem to belong to the bodies.
Also, maybe it's just me, but Elincia doesn't look anything like she does from the games. I can't even tell it's her.

All in all, alright.
Practice makes perfect. And considering constructive criticism does, too.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Professional Meatball Server
Send a message via Skype™ to Ben

View Posts: 5,782

These are all nice; the only issue I have is that they all look very static, and lifeless. They'd be fantastic if they were a little more alive, it'd make it easier for me to picture them as the characters you describe, rather than just as the images on the page, you know what I mean?

#7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Angry Lenin

View Posts: 8,854

^Try getting some "pink" skin colored hues in here - she doesn't fit when she's chinese.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

View Posts: 21,627

No offense, Ranny but after seeing these i didnt see how you crtiqued others work (sugarpoultry in particular.)
the first one: uhh the pose is nice but theres issues. No shading near the breast and the leg that's up has no definition therefore you cant even tell what kind of garment shes wearing. the action lines are also unnecessary.
the Second one: well its not bad but its very bland. i suggest color? If not, shading.
the third one: Hes very deformed looking due to the pose, his head lacks the same sort of detail the rest of him has. that arm is also a bit protrusive. His leg sticking out is too long. i do like the cape though.
the fourth one: No real problem here.
The fifth one:
Quote:
^ The colors don't seem to go together. Using a dead black is usually a bad idea, too, but the hilt completely stands out from the sword and looks like it's not part of it. I think the color has to do with this. My advice is to go for slightly warmer hues (this goes for the blade as well).
basically this.
the sixth one: i have a huge issue with this one. Although it seems you are making the characters chibi and cute, its very odd and kind of offending (i dont mean to sound like an ass). They look like really bad bobble heads and that Elincia doesnt even look like Elincia. Ike's clothes are fine and kinda cute but the pose is odd since Elincia seems to be standing. O_o the shading is nice but not really all the necessary considering they are chibis.

ef hann sr v veru
hitki hann veit
hvat hann skal vi kvea
ef hans freista firar

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ You can still PM me for the clan test!
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
Last Edited by Florina Laufeyson; 05-29-2009 at 05:28 PM. Reason:
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Banned User

Erm...

So much criticism...I don't know what to read first...

Well, I guess I'll start with the comments about Judo looking like Ike. Tell me how he looks anything like him. Also, I guess I should point out, I never based Judo off of Ike whatsoever. I hadn't even heard of Fire Emblem let alone Ike when I created Judo. xP

PyroShadow: Judo's sword is supposed to be big. xP It's the longest one-hand sword in Hyrule. As for his feet, yeah, I think I made his body a bit too large in general. XD

About the chibis: There are many chibi styles and some have proportions like what I used.

How does Elincia not look like Elincia? I referenced off of her PoR artwork.

Torayuri: Please explain exactly what you mean by your comment on the Ike and Elincia chibis. o_O

Frozen: Thank you, but please explain what you mean, once again.

Pity no one but frozen liked my art...I suck, I guess. But practice does make perfect.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ranny
Torayuri: Please explain exactly what you mean by your comment on the Ike and Elincia chibis. o_O

What I mean is, on Ike his hair is on the very top on his head, which gives off a weird look (It's the space between his hair and ears) and his head doesn't look right on his neck. His head is almost as big as his body. And Elincia's hair looks really thick.
Last Edited by Lady Rao; 05-29-2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason:
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Banned User

Well, they're chibis. What'd you expect? Also, thick hair exists in real life.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2009, 05:55 PM

Hey, don't get down, everyone has to start somewhere, right?

Now, all your images look flat, and lifeless. Ideally, when someone looks at them, you want them to leap off the page, grab them by the throat, and really suck them in. This is particularly relevant as you're using some of these artworks to support your stories. Now, personally, I love getting real contrast in my art. using pencil, and shading for example, I like having shadows that are almost black, and highlights that are essentially the bare paper. It brings the image to life. You should work on your pencil shading, it'd make your pencil drawing muuuch better! ;D

#13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2009, 05:56 PM
heart of a lion
Send a message via Skype™ to Red
View Posts: 15,922

Chibis' heads generally aren't as big as their entire body though. You may be thinking of super deformed, but even then the ratio isn't as big as yours.

Chibi example:

Notice how the heads are large, but not as large as the entire body?
Last Edited by Red; 05-29-2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason:
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Banned User

I know that, but if her hair curverd along her back alittle, it might look better.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2009, 05:58 PM
UNDR THREEHUNDR
View Posts: 3,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefka View Post
Drawing? More of a sprite, really. Try to give it some depth and shading.
I believe you mean pixel art. It's not quite a sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchiki View Post
^ Not really a fan. These two look like dolls (look at Ike's arms bending outwards), and the heads just don't seem to belong to the bodies.
*Facepalm* They're chibi... Their heads are supposed to be really big, and some chibi styles make the characters look like "dolls", as you put it, on purpose.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uǝzoɹɟ View Post
Hey, don't get down, everyone has to start somewhere, right?
Yeah, only I'm not starting out. I've been drawing since early middle school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen
Now, all your images look flat, and lifeless. Ideally, when someone looks at them, you want them to leap off the page, grab them by the throat, and really suck them in. This is particularly relevant as you're using some of these artworks to support your stories. Now, personally, I love getting real contrast in my art. using pencil, and shading for example, I like having shadows that are almost black, and highlights that are essentially the bare paper. It brings the image to life. You should work on your pencil shading, it'd make your pencil drawing muuuch better! ;D
I already do pencil shading. :/

Also, Darius Andreas is correct. I drew the chibis the way I did on purpose. And Ragnell is pixel art, not a sprite. Darius would know, as he's an excellent pixel artist, much greater at the stuff than I am.
Last Edited by Sonic Rainboom; 05-29-2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason:
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Angry Lenin

View Posts: 8,854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ranny View Post
So much criticism...
Critique*
Quote:
Pity no one but frozen liked my art...I suck, I guess. But practice does make perfect.
Very few said they didn't - we just choose to help you. One piece of critique is worth more than a hundred compliments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Andreas View Post
*Facepalm* They're chibi... Their heads are supposed to be really big, and some chibi styles make the characters look like "dolls", as you put it, on purpose.
Most chibis don't look like dolls, though. In fact, almost no do.
Quote:
Also, Darius Andreas is my boyfriend
fixed
Last Edited by fratey; 05-29-2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason:
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah, only I'm not starting out. I've been drawing since early middle school.
Oh, well this is the first time I've seen your stuff. ;__;
But really, with practice, you'll get even better!

Quote:
I already do pencil shading. :/
Really? I'd love to see some. (:

Last Edited by Ben; 05-29-2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason:
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Banned User

Uh, I shaded in the Ike and Elincia chibi picture with a pencil, Frozen. :/
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Uh, I shaded in the Ike and Elincia chibi picture with a pencil, Frozen. :/
Oh, so you did, sorry, I wasn't paying attention! Anyway, I like your shading. Howeever, it'd be cool if you tried going even darker for the shadows, it looks a little bland at the moment. I suggest drawing bottles, or glasses or something. They have fantastic highlights and stuff. (:

Closed Thread

Tags
art, lady, ranny, zee