Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#61 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Is a hater
Send a message via AIM to sanzoneedsahug Send a message via Yahoo to sanzoneedsahug
View Posts: 59
Re: SG's Artwork V.2

Michaels has all of that stuff and more.
  #62 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Banned User
View Posts: 30,586

Michael's? Never heard of it. Like I said, I'm sure I'll find a craft store here. Probably a Belgian one since I'm in Belgium, lol.
  #63 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2007, 02:47 PM
Banned User

New drawing! I decided to save the Dragolfos for another time, so instead, I drew a dungeon boss from my Zelda fanfic. She's the boss of dungeon #2. Her name is Melane.

Scanner did it's shape altering thing again...so Melane might look a bit chunky. Either that or it's because you're looking at her from an angle...
  #64 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2007, 05:44 PM
Banned User
View Posts: 2,255

Hmmmm very interesting. No I don't think this horse is chunky at all. It just looks more fierce and menacing. I like the fire effects that fill in for the horn, wings and mane. Overall the image is very well done. Nice proportions, use of fire and even the action within the picture.

I look forward to seeing more of your art and of course the finished adventures.

Know too that when that day comes, I shall destroy you, LOZ Historian, and all your dreams.
Watch your back, for you may never know whom is behind that unsuspecting mask.
  #65 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2007, 05:52 PM
Banned User

Thanks, CM! ^^

I'll color this picture tomorrow. Melane will definitely look evil and menacing in the colors I'll be giving her. I've become very talented at horses I can see.

Although Melane really is an evil unicorn, she hardly deserves to be called one at all, lol.
  #66 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2007, 06:54 PM
Allergic to stupid
View Posts: 2,475

It is very good. But as a horse in order to be more realistic I'd add up a bit more details like some fine lines on the neck / head / legs to point out some highlighted curves. Also horses in Zelda usually have a bit bigger hooves then standard horses. Makes them look more powerful in my opinion.

Something like these hooves but not entirely.
www.zeldainformer.com
  #67 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2007, 06:57 PM
Banned User

Uhhh...I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're trying to say. Are you saying her face looks too pointy or something? 0.o

Ah, well, I just edited her head shape and it looks better now. I'll show the picture again tomorrow after I color it.
  #68 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-01-2007, 05:51 AM
Allergic to stupid

Nevermind the pointy head thing. That was a comment from a girl with a sword drawing on the first page. I didn't noticed on which page I was. <.< I edited it out.
www.zeldainformer.com
  #69 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-01-2007, 06:06 AM
Banned User

Oh, that! Well, I've improved since I did those drawings of Kelli, so my next one of her should be much better.

As for Melane, well, she doesn't necessarily have to have the same body shape as Epona or some other Zelda horse. Another thing, Melane is a giant unicorn monster, so her hooves are huge anyway, lol. There's another reason why her body looks slightly different from other Zelda horses as well, but I won't reveal it.

About details, I thought I should just leave out all those details because once I colored Melane's body, you couldn't see them anyway. I would have given her those lines if you were going to be able to see them, though (her fur is a dark color).
  #70 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-01-2007, 06:09 AM
Allergic to stupid

Makes sense to me
Keep up the good work. ^^
www.zeldainformer.com
  #71 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-01-2007, 06:26 AM
Banned User

Oh, I will! I'll try doing my Dragolfos next. Although this drawing might take awhile, as the Dragolfos has quite a lot to be drawn. This enemy appears rather late in my fanfic and is only found in the last two dungeons. The Dragolfos is quite a challenge as well. It's also more hardcore than even the Dinolfos. Definitely one of my greatest creations.
  #72 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Allergic to stupid

Is your fanfic a comic or something? Because you're getting my attention.
www.zeldainformer.com
  #73 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Banned User

No. I've never done any comics, though I'm considering it in the future. My fanfic is just that: a fictional story. If you want to read it go to my writing thread in the fiction section of the creativity forum. It's not hard to miss.

Here's the color version of Melane! ^^ I fixed her head shape. Now it looks better.

Pretty hardcore, huh?
  #74 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-06-2007, 04:29 PM
SeriousDiscussion
View Posts: 24,050

Quote:
Pretty hardcore, huh?
Not really, at least, not in my opinion.

The horse anatomy itself seems okay, but the colouring severly lets it down.
It looks far too static, far too blocky.
I think perhaps you should learn how to blend colours and merge different pieces of the drawing together.
For example, both wings look like they're situated on the side of the horse facing away from us. To make the wing look more naturally on the left side of the horse (facing us) you should have situated the wing lower down the body, and made it so it overlaps the body, in that the body cannot be seen as the wing is in front of it.

With the fire, it looks very amateurly done.
Again, what you could do to remedy this is to merge the colours, mix the red, orange and yellow together, and get rid of those guidelines seperating the colurs.
It'll look foar more fluid that way.
When drawing fire or water, don't ever draw phyisical boundries, like outlines around it, as elements like fire, water and wind are very free, wild things, and by defining a parameter for them, you lose all of the wild and free nature.

I think what lets this picture down the most is perhaps the colouring of the horse.
I completely understand your intention for making it all black, but it would be far more advantageous to use a multitude of dark greys, and very little black.
With the different shades of greys, you can emphasis and accentuate many details of the horse, like defining muscle or legs, etc.
By colouring the entire thing black, you've not only lost all the detail, but the depth. Now, it looks like a solid block of 2D black.
Attempt at shading. Nothing is simply one solid colour, the way light falls on objects makes them a plethora of shades. Experiment with that.

Perhaps you can save and then print out the non-coloured version you have here already posted, and try colouring it again with some of my advice.
I can assure you that you'll have a far more natural looking piece.
Good luck.
  #75 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-07-2007, 05:05 AM
Banned User

I would add gray and do that stuff, but I can't. The horse would look wrong. My fanfic describes her as having pure black fur. That means no other colors are in it, just black.

And this isn't supposed to look very realistic. It's supposed to be OoT style (which I believe is manga style). You don't see horses with a buttload of details in OoT artwork. Not even on Epona. And the details of my horse here are there, you just can't see them due to all that black fur.

Thank you for your advice, SD, but I'm afraid I can't take it. With time and all and how many other things I've got to do, I don't have the time to be heavily editing drawings. I would take your advice if I could, but I can't. At least not now. Maybe later on I can.
  #76 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-07-2007, 05:15 AM
Magical Miracle Girl ★ Usami!
Steam ID: superpaniland Wii U ID: Panique

View Posts: 24,860

Hey, SG, maybe you could try doing some simple pencil sketches with shading, to see how you go? :/ That could help, and you wouldn't have to edit anything you've already done.

The anatomy is really good, though. Hah, I can't draw anything in proportion.
  #77 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-07-2007, 05:20 AM
Banned User

Nah, I suck at shading. Well, I'm not all that bad at it, but I'm bad enough to where I would ruin the drawing if I did it. Once I tried shading on a portrait of Kelli I was doing and I wound up tearing the paper from erasing. I scrapped that drawing, because every time I try to redo something it always comes out worse than the first.

As for the anatomy, I pay close attention to that in my drawings, so that's pretty much never a problem.

But, y'all won't have to worry about me not doing a very detailed drawing next time, because the Dragolfos is quite detailed...and I'm drawing that next. Before, I wasn't sure where to start, but now I'm going to try starting the same way I do with horses: start with the butt (I'm not kidding either!)
  #78 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-07-2007, 04:46 PM
SeriousDiscussion
View Posts: 24,050

Quote:
I would add gray and do that stuff, but I can't. The horse would look wrong. My fanfic describes her as having pure black fur. That means no other colors are in it, just black.
Here is a horse with pure-black fur.

The way light falls on it, there are even grey and blue hints.
Monocolouring is sloppy.
If you want to succeed as an artist in a piece of art, at least take the time to draw and colour it properly.

Quote:
And the details of my horse here are there, you just can't see them due to all that black fur
No - we can't see them as the colouring renders the phorse as nothing more than a sillouhette.
Again, shading will help this.

Quote:
And this isn't supposed to look very realistic. It's supposed to be OoT style (which I believe is manga style). You don't see horses with a buttload of details in OoT artwork. Not even on Epona.
Yes you do.

Both the artwork for older and young Epona depict her as having clearly-crisply defined muscles, with copius amounts of shading to accentuate them, as well as show the use of lighting on her.
Even the sadle has elaborate detail on it, showing the contours of the fabric, and further effects of shadow and light.
So, the excuse of OOT's Epona not being realistic is bull. :/

Quote:
Thank you for your advice, SD, but I'm afraid I can't take it. With time and all and how many other things I've got to do, I don't have the time to be heavily editing drawings. I would take your advice if I could, but I can't. At least not now. Maybe later on I can.
It's not really a case of taking my advice when you feel like it, my advice is supposed to help you make an instant, gross (as in large) change to your drawing, as in: put a hell of a lot more effort into it.
Personally, it sounds to me that you can't be bothered to put your full effort into a picture, which is evident in that you have quite good pencil sketches, then a very horribly coloured result which destroys the image.
Do whatever you want with my advice, but trust me, your art would become a lot more sophisticated.
  #79 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Is a hater
Send a message via AIM to sanzoneedsahug Send a message via Yahoo to sanzoneedsahug
View Posts: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Guardian View Post

And this isn't supposed to look very realistic. It's supposed to be OoT style (which I believe is manga style). You don't see horses with a buttload of details in OoT artwork. Not even on Epona. And the details of my horse here are there, you just can't see them due to all that black fur.
The horses in the OoT Manga had details in other places where your horse does not. The horses in OoT manga had very detailed saddles which brought your attention away from the lack of detail in the face.
Last Edited by sanzoneedsahug; 04-07-2007 at 09:42 PM. Reason: HTML issues.
  #80 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Banned User

OoT's Epona isn't very realistic in my opinion. The photograph of the horse you posted, SD, looks WAY more detailed. Sorry, but what you're saying just doesn't cut it.

You're allowed to think my drawings suck (you might not have said this, but you're implying it), and I respect that. However, I don't appreciate you telling me do things to my drawings that I already said would ruin the pictures if I tried them. I SUCK at shading and I SUCK at lighting. Thus, I ignore them and leave them out.
Closed Thread

Tags
artwork