Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 6
Desperate to Learn Manga...

If this post should be moved, my bad, I was stressed for time...

I'm at a life-changing impass: I can't draw manga worth a damn... at all. This screws with my potential career choice for game design and graphics editing. I need to get better (it also messes with my plans to make my novel into a manga/anime)!!!

Start from scratch, I'd prefer to learn how to freehand anything I imagine, but it never EVER comes out NEAR how I'd want it on paper... Tools? Skills? I can draw almost everything by staring at the picture the whole time, I can't draw manga without pictures though, and I can't draw other stances or poses, it's all the same one as the one I'm looking at.

I'm severely pissed, actually... I really need some help... Some of this issue is from the amount of wrinkled papers I have overflowing my garbage can of nothing but millions of different reasons to be trashed (failed images of Link...). I simply wish to sketch a basic picture of Link standing and I wish to be able to change his stances and poses WITHOUT looking at pictures... Help?
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Boobs and Bossa Nova
View Posts: 4,455
Re: Desperate to Learn Manga...

I'm typing this on my phone so excuse laziness. First of all, drawing manga style isn't necessary for a career in game design. Actually, you'll stand out more if you have your own style. It's normal to not be able to draw something without reference...even prof artists need models of some kind. You should start with still life,drawing what you see, not what you think you see. Style comes after you have mastered the basic concepts of drawing

3DS Friend code: 1822-0897-4163
5 people liked this post: EternaLegend, Gold, IGNIS, Keith, Succubus
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2012, 11:48 PM
hella
View Posts: 4,567

I have to second Calypso here, not knowing how to draw in a manga style isn't going to screw you over, people often look for a much wider range of styles. As someone studying video game design and surrounded by people focusing on Concept art for games, I can tell you that the vast majority of them do not conform to a manga/anime style and nearly every concept art class I've sat in on discourages the use of exclusively manga style in one's portfolio.

Also definitely don't be ashamed of using references for poses and the like when you're drawing! All my illustration professors complain about how little people use references when making their work and how they could be so much better if they spent the extra time looking instead of just imagining it up out of thin air. And this applies to stylized work just as much as it does realistic work, no matter what your work has to be believable above all else and using references aids in that so so so much.

I also agree that if you're just starting out, working from life (ie. still lives or live models) is one of the best ways to get started on the right track. Once you have a good feel for looking/observing/recording it will be tremendously easier to create more satisfying, believable pieces in your own style. Also be sure to experiment with different media! You may find you like something you haven't tried before and it can only help to expand your skill set and refine your style.

Anyway, not sure if any of that is helpful, I'm sure if you're really dead-set on drawing in a particular style you can find plenty of tutorials if you google them, but I really do think it's important to foster your own creativity and creative voice rather than working within the confines of someone else's.

5 people liked this post: Boy, IGNIS, Keith, Sophie, Succubus
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2012, 07:52 AM
Amanda Mullins
View Posts: 10,925

I would advise against drawing manga for the main reason that you're taking some type of style which is not your own. I do not hate on manga or anime, but the reason why it is not heavily taught as an art form for people to really learn is because - well it is someone else's style. You don't teach styles or make people learn them. It's someone else's way of drawing. Look at them and find what you like, and make your own way of drawing. Or just have fun experimenting.

Most game art is not manga. If it is anime influenced, it comes from japan, and that probably means you need to live in Japan and speak Japanese to work there.

So just do something on your own that you really like and enjoy. If you like drawing manga anyway that's fine, but it's not really going to get you many places. So yeah, real no sense in ripping your hair out over this.

my website | deviantart | tumblr | zu art thread | blogger || avy/sig art Amanda Mullins

hey hinkle-vinkle, eat ze armpit ja!?
Last Edited by DekuQueen; 05-10-2012 at 07:53 AM. Reason:
1 person liked this post: Keith
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Deku Scrub

I've been doing that for ten years... I see no improvement...

I realize the whole "style" shenannigans, but when this directly links (no pun intended) to what I've been working on for five years (book, and yes; I revise ALOT)? It's not the kind of thing I can take pictures of people in cosplay, draw something that looks realistic, it's more of an anime kind of thing. I'm not asking to learn one single specific manga style, I just want to learn how to make what's in my head appear on paper in any kind of manga form (preferably something that looks detailed, I hate the whole loose and unrealistic manga like One Piece...). I'm looking all over the web (I don't have much time, Sr. year in HS and I'm near failing) and I'm not finding much more help. On top of that, I've been starting a mini-T.V. series using Halo: Reach (Machinima) and my team and I aren't getting very far in that either. Post a link (again, no pun intended) or something and I'll go from there, I just have too much on my plate to spend the time myself.

By the way, the drawing of my character (somebody else drew it) is very professional and badass! I wish I could post it.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Bieten Sie Ihren Seele dem Dunklen Lord
Send a message via Skype™ to Succubus

View Posts: 10,879

well, its best to try and learn to draw on your own, or ask someone to help you. Personally, Manga isnt the best drawing style, once you do and start off with it its hard to get OUT of it. Being unique with your own artwork is the best way to do it.

But, since you seem to disagree, just visual copy some pictures to get a clear idea of how the picture is suppose to be. (i.e. Take a random simple Manga picture off of google or whatever and practice with it.)

but its still best to try and work with your own cartoon works
3 people liked this post: Gaba, Keith, Loki Laufeyson
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2012, 11:04 AM
View Posts: 8,576

Well, I only can give you manga-style quick-c tips. If you use SAI, of course.

(from my abandoned dA)
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
MADLY IN CHOCOLATE ABOUT LOVE AND CHOCOLATES

And the life of this world is nothing BUT play and amusement.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2012, 11:30 AM
I have done nothing but teleport bread for three days!
Send a message via Skype™ to Keith
Steam ID: Rantick
View Posts: 7,171

I don't really understand why you want to learn how to draw Manga so bad. Personally, I believe it's actually pretty bad. Anime, specifically shows like Legend of Korra, look beautiful, and the few Manga books I've read are... all right. But learning to draw Manga is just a task you don't need to bother with. There is no way you could ever need to funnel your efforts into one style of art and I will warn you now, you will deeply regret it when you get older and can't seem to create your own style. I noticed when I stopped drawing Manga and did some realism, as well as trying some more stylised art, the quality of my drawing rapidly increased.

Also, drawing shouldn't be the chore you make it out to be. I get that it's frustrating not being able to put the pictures in your head on paper, I really do. Everyone here probably does. But if you don't enjoy your drawing as it is, then you won't improve. There is no easy fix, you just have to spend your time drawing things. I've noticed that using models, specifically using pictures like this, has helped me so much. I've never drawn anything remotely good without a reference, even if it's just taking a picture of my hand to get it right on the page.

Please, don't treat Manga with the reverence you're giving it. There are far more creative styles out there and while Manga can look good, it is by no means the best and you'll probably struggle to stand out in a crowd when your art looks exactly the same as the next manga artist :/

okay, so I kind of ranted against choosing to draw Manga, but I suppose I should also offer advice for you. First of all, hair is a huge part of Manga. It's got many different styles, but to be honest I got to where I am with hair just be looking at art, tracing the lines, copying styles. The tracing part actually seemed to give me some sort of muscle memory, which can be pretty useful.

I also mentioned using pictures like this, which are a huge help. I try to draw whatever I have in my head with the closest pose to what I've got, and then once it's on paper it's easier to figure out what they look like from other angles. If it helps, trace the pose with a light sketch so it's easier to plan out your character's features.

Luka: slam a bottle of champagne into my arse first
Last Edited by Keith; 05-10-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason:
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Amanda Mullins
View Posts: 10,925

Quote:
Post a link (again, no pun intended) or something and I'll go from there, I just have too much on my plate to spend the time myself.
I hate to sound rude, but if you have time to be making a thread about asking for help - then you have some time on your own to do your own research. Only you know exactally what you want to do, we can only assume.

I still think you're really getting worked up over nothing. Take it easy and enjoy drawing. Find your own way of drawing, just experiment. It takes some practice, and if you're planning on making a manga it's going to take a lot of time an energy... so if you can't even devote to researching now then you need to re-evaluate your situation.

my website | deviantart | tumblr | zu art thread | blogger || avy/sig art Amanda Mullins

hey hinkle-vinkle, eat ze armpit ja!?
4 people liked this post: Gold, Loki Laufeyson, Succubus, Vynrah
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Deku Scrub

Going for a manga, then when I get the money, anime. I'm practicing with Link's basic concept and my main character's concepts and it seems to be working out great!

1: No, I'm not using realism, I'll never use realism and I have no reason to regret it when I get older. Manga is a style, yes, but there's different types of manga. Zelda: OoT comics, DBZ, One Piece (as much as I hate that style), Naruto... Do you want to constantly repeat yourselves? I get it, once is enough; adopt my own style, so I'm doing that already and its working... with MANGA! (not a rude tone)

2: I can always hire someone for this...
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-14-2012, 09:19 AM
hella
View Posts: 4,567

Okay, I'm going to close this thread, perhaps a bit prematurely, but I'm only seeing it spiraling into more of an argument from here.

We have a thread that has some resources for different things when it comes to drawing, maybe poke around there and see if any of the links are useful.
Art Resources, Tutorials, and Tools

If you can't find anything there, look around the community here a bit. If there's an artist you think is exhibiting the type of style you want or has excellent poses for what you're trying to do, try Private Messaging them and asking them for any pointers.

To anyone reading this thread genuinely looking to pass on Manga tutorials:
Please VM or PM them to the original poster.

4 people liked this post: DekuQueen, Keith, Loki Laufeyson, Succubus
Closed Thread