Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-24-2012, 05:32 AM
Goron

View Posts: 274
Re: My (mostly zelda related) ceramic creations.

Dangit

I'll take ten
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-24-2012, 05:38 AM
Evil will always triumph... because good is dumb.
View Posts: 1,276

What she said.

Also, where do you go to make ceramics? Like some sort of class? Because you are truly inspiring me to make some of my own Zelda ceramics to put around my house.
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2012, 05:49 AM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
What she said.

Also, where do you go to make ceramics? Like some sort of class? Because you are truly inspiring me to make some of my own Zelda ceramics to put around my house.
yes, one of the ceramic classes in the university, it's free and apart from the assignments I can make whatever I want, and that's exactly what's I've been doing.

If you can find a ceramic workshop you can use, just go for it, it's a extremely fun, addicting and rewarding experience, and also quite time-consuming if you want to go beyond making a mug and create whatever you desire, so you want to spend a lot of time hands in clay. I sometimes stay in the lab for 8 hours a day making stuff and do the glaze testing, and don't expect to make anything decent in the first few months, that doesn't mean you can't come up with something amazing but setting the bar too high in the beginning may hurt the enthusiasm. Make you piece as good as you can so you won't regret later, no "that will do" and don't be afraid to make the same thing over and over again, no one makes the masterpiece in the first attempt, I made at least a dozen flutes before ending up with a decent one.

All in all, the more time you spend, the better you'll get. And you have to really love ceramics from heart, not just for making a certain thing, be it a mug, or a zelda figure.

and for today's update, it's been a quite busy day and I didn't do much apart from glazing the first pot I made. I'm still not sure what I can use this pot for apart from smashing it but I wanna finish it first

#44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-26-2012, 12:52 AM
Gerudo Thief

Glazed the moon today and started another firing, can't wait to see what comes out tomorrow, would be lucky if anything turns out to be good.

#45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-27-2012, 02:41 AM
Gerudo Thief

the firing is done and boy everything turned out to be pretty good.

The moon from the Majora's mask. Underglaze painting on smooth icing glaze with 10% gray stain. The glaze was a bit thick so it expanded a little bit, tearing the underglaze paint away. And it rolled off the tripod and into the kiln wall during firing so there are some marks near the mouth. Still, not that bad and I'm not going to try to fix it, which will only make it worse.

Crappy Bowl with Crappy Oxide Painting is finished as well, the result is acceptable although all the colors have disappeared. At least I have a bowl to use.

Zelda's bracelet from Skyward Sword, obviously this one is not how it looks in the game. I found a commercial glaze at least 20 years old called the "smoky sliver", which gives this shiny deep metallic sliver coat. I made two Zelda's Bracelets and this first one is rather crap so I applied that glaze on it just to see how it looks. Turned out to be pretty cool if you ignore all the rough finishes and sharp edges, but it's better than nothing.

the cute chuchu from the wind waker!

the finished piece is better than I expected. The glaze didn't run and the underglazes largely remains the color they supposed to be. There are some crawling at the foot, possibly because it was a bit thick, or because it didn't melt that well since it's not runny.

Would make a great decoration at home.

The Zelda Pot
My first coil built pot got some blue majolica treatment, turned out to be pretty good. Glazed inside and out, this pot is fully functional(although I don't know what function it could have for me), and with simple and elegant design(I was just lazy).
The blue is (more or less) spot on with 1% cobalt carbonate and slightly less opacifier. I scraped off the blue glaze to reveal the white slip underneath.

of course all of those could definitely be better but at least I know what was right and what went wrong. Learning ceramics is a fascinating and rewarding experience. Of course it's also a long one, and this is just the beginning.
1 person liked this post: Vynrah
  #46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 7

I've done ceramics every somer for 3 years and its been fun!!! and your work looks amazing!