Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#201 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2012, 03:37 AM
(Jehanne)

View Posts: 17,454
Re: Jehanne's Drawing Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulpes View Post
Her hairline could be more three-dimensional. As it is, it kind of looks like her skin just turns brown there. The transition from forehead to hair is too flat, in other words.
Yes, I didn't spend much time on the hair other than to put an undercoat of paint there. The hair in the original painting looks a lot different in terms of color and light. I might have to reduce the amount of hair, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellotime91 View Post
I would agree that it needs more dimension, but like she said it's at 50%. It's not finished.
Well, it's good to know what things jump out as being important (I had a couple things pointed out IRL, as well). So it's okay.

:]

Last Edited by Sophie; 02-11-2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason:
1 person liked this post: jellotime91
  #202 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2012, 01:28 PM
And that's the Dandy way to live, baby!
Send a message via AIM to Altamira Send a message via Skype™ to Altamira
3DS ID: 0490-5369-0518

View Posts: 18,002

I believe, and various professors have echoed this, that when you get to a certain point in a piece of artwork, if you just step back to a distance and look at it (often the further the better), it will tell you what it needs from then on. It will become apparent just if you stop and look a moment and really consider it--or even better, it will sometimes jump out at you. Almost as if telling you how to "finish" it.
Last Edited by Altamira; 02-11-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason:
2 people liked this post: jellotime91, Sophie
  #203 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2012, 01:36 PM
(Jehanne)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altamira View Post
I believe, and various professors have echoed this, that when you get to a certain point in a piece of artwork, if you just step back to a distance and look at it (often the further the better), it will tell you what it needs from then on. It will become apparent just if you stop and look a moment and really consider it--or even better, it will sometimes jump out at you. Almost as if telling you how to "finish" it.
Mmm hmm, I think you (and those who say it as well) are right about the artwork itself; creating is a bit of a tricky thing, and between the artist and the work, I agree that the communication between them is paramount.

^_^

I have a painting at school that I'm bringing home tomorrow; I haven't decided whether it's finished or not. When I bring it home, I'll stand back from it a bit and then decide. It's a 2ft x 2ft still life painting... there are a couple things that I can still work on from the formal critique, but I'll decide on my own when I bring it home.

In the end, I think I've come to like painting. I would like to spend some time painting things that I want to paint (copies are okay, but I think it'd be nice to copy from photographs I've taken instead, if I'm going to copy anything).

1 person liked this post: Altamira
  #204 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2012, 01:42 PM
A citizen of the world, known to all and to all a stranger
View Posts: 4,118

On the subject of finishing painting, did you know that oil paintings are not considered fully "dry" until they are 60 to 80 years old? And that oil paints dry due to oxidation, not evaporation?
  #205 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2012, 01:44 PM
(Jehanne)

Quote:
On the subject of finishing painting, did you know that oil paintings are not considered fully "dry" until they are 60 to 80 years old? And that oil paints dry due to oxidation, not evaporation?
I did find out about the oxidation part when I went searching on the internet for why my paint was taking so long to dry.

60 years?!
Damn.

I have some of the things to add to my medium to make the painting dry faster, but I havent tried them out yet.

#206 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2012, 01:54 PM

I consider it one of the benefits of autodidacticism that I don't have to bother with painting, among other things. Too messy and inconvenient.
  #207 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2012, 03:59 PM
(Jehanne)

Well, I spent about 14 months doing self-study before having instructors; I like it both ways, I guess. I still do extra work on my own. Like this morning I was studying/drawing the bones in the arm and leg.

:3

1 person liked this post: Altamira
  #208 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinny View Post

Well, I spent about 14 months doing self-study before having instructors; I like it both ways, I guess. I still do extra work on my own. Like this morning I was studying/drawing the bones in the arm and leg.

:3
Oh, I certainly don't deny the importance of training in most cases. But I feel that it is certainly possible for a self-taught artist to create works as great as any trained artist. It would take a certain individual, but it's certainly possible.

Certain certain certainly.
Last Edited by Vulpes; 02-11-2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason:
1 person liked this post: Sophie
  #209 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2012, 04:32 PM
(Jehanne)

Quote:
Oh, I certainly don't deny the importance of training in most cases. But I feel that it is certainly possible for a self-taught artist to create works as great as any trained artist. It would take a certain individual, but it's certainly possible.
One of the main reasons that I enrolled in classes has to do with my shut-in behavior, to be honest. If I don't have something to force me out of the house, I don't go anywhere.

But I agree that self-taught artists can be just as great. In the same way, I think that if art students only do the bare minimum that's required in their classes, they won't reach nearly their potential.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

In the end, I think it's more about the actual act of drawing/painting/sculpting/writing/music-playing or whatever the art. The more you do it, the better. Whether it's on your own. Or with an instructor.

It would have been nice to be apprenticed, I think. But... I guess I was born in the wrong era.

#210 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
It would have been nice to be apprenticed, I think. But... I guess I was born in the wrong era.
Personally, I'll take the medical advances, reliable food supply, and other technologies and achievements.

(I know what you mean.)
2 people liked this post: Loki Laufeyson, Sophie
  #211 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-12-2012, 12:05 PM
(Jehanne)

Quote:
this morning I was studying/drawing the bones in the arm and leg.
[IMG*]http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/members/5326503-albums3226-picture28575.jpg[/IMG]

I put a piece of tracing paper over the bones I drew, to do a muscle over-lay. My study guide is a book by Andrew Loomis; I have 6 of his hardback books.

<3

Last Edited by Sophie; 03-01-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason:
3 people liked this post: Altamira, Loki Laufeyson, SuperDecimal
  #212 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-12-2012, 12:27 PM
And that's the Dandy way to live, baby!
Send a message via AIM to Altamira Send a message via Skype™ to Altamira
3DS ID: 0490-5369-0518

View Posts: 18,002

I remember I had to learn all of the main muscles and bones in the body and be able to identify/locate and name them all. x___x The upper back/neck area had some little tricky ones, if I remember right.
  #213 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-12-2012, 06:26 PM
(Jehanne)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altamira View Post
I remember I had to learn all of the main muscles and bones in the body and be able to identify/locate and name them all. x___x The upper back/neck area had some little tricky ones, if I remember right.
The figure drawing class is fairly relaxed (it's the first drawing class you can take after the foundations class for drawing); we don't have to memorize. Just draw, draw, draw! The only skeletal drawing that we've done so far is the skull. That's where I got this idea to do the leg and arm muscles over the bones. In my sketchbook, I did really small-scale work, but I'm sure that when we do it in class, we'll be using the large drawing paper.

I like that kind of work, actually. And it's nice that there's no pressure to memorize bones and muscles.

\(^o^)/

Also, I really love when the models do long poses. These are portraits I drew in the studio in the last couple sessions:

And here's my first "Jinny" original oil painting:
[IMG*]http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/members/5326503-albums3226-picture28578.jpg[/IMG]

Last Edited by Sophie; 03-02-2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason:
5 people liked this post: Altamira, IGNIS, Loki Laufeyson, Pietro, SuperDecimal
  #214 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-12-2012, 06:40 PM
"Satan sees you as a Big Mac"
Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro
Steam ID: Pietro672
View Posts: 8,934

I love your portraits, as I've said before some of your drawing resemble the style of video game characters, especially that guy.

Your oil painting is really nice too
  #215 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-12-2012, 06:49 PM
(Jehanne)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro View Post
I love your portraits, as I've said before some of your drawing resemble the style of video game characters, especially that guy.
You think so? I mean, I don't see it exactly, since the video games I generally play are things like Zelda and Final Fantasy.

But I love portraiture.

Quote:
Your oil painting is really nice too
I brought it home in the snow. I hope that it didn't get wet (I covered it in plastic); I had a metal wire sculpture I made last year that got ruined when I brought it home on a rainy day.

:[

#216 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-12-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
And here's my first "Jinny" original oil painting:
Ah, non-human animal art! You don't know what you just got yourself into, Jinny. No holds barred!

Ahem.

To be honest, the fact that you used a taxidermied specimen for a model is pretty obvious. An animal painting is not a still life, not to me. You need to make sure the animal looks alive! Not only that, but they should look like they're thinking. Because they are. You wouldn't paint a person without expression or emotion, would you? Then don't deprive a chicken of them!

As for the other things in the painting, well, it's just bowls and stuff as far as I'm concerned, but I'm sure you did them very well.
Last Edited by Vulpes; 02-12-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason:
  #217 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-12-2012, 07:09 PM
(Jehanne)

I'm going to make an original painting this year, and it'll be a wild type animal, just for you.

MONDAY EDIT:

From jellotime's Redesign a Character

1. Gorko

2. Sephiroth
[IMG*]http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/members/5326503-albums3226-picture28574.jpg[/IMG]

Last Edited by Sophie; 03-09-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason:
3 people liked this post: Altamira, Loki Laufeyson, SuperDecimal
  #218 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-13-2012, 07:40 PM
(Jehanne)

If I spend any more time on this homework, I may end up stabbing myself with my brush.

[IMG*]http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/members/5326503-albums3226-picture28582.jpg[/IMG]
[Edit: here's a photo without flash or photoshop editing]

Everything looks better at an angle. This is without a flash or PS color/contrast correction.
The colors are closer here, but still not the same as IRL.
>_>

Last Edited by Sophie; 02-16-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason:
4 people liked this post: Holden, Loki Laufeyson, SuperDecimal, Vynrah
  #219 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 PM

It's mostly pretty good, especially in the second photo—I'm glad the first one messed up the colors, because otherwise it kind of looks like she's drunk. Hairline is still a little flat, but overall I like it for a human portrait.
  #220 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-13-2012, 08:14 PM
(Jehanne)

Quote:
It's mostly pretty good, especially in the second photo—I'm glad the first one messed up the colors, because otherwise it kind of looks like she's drunk. Hairline is still a little flat, but overall I like it for a human portrait.
"drunk"
(x_x)

I replaced that photo with one where I didn't let Photoshop do the contrast correction. So, it's dark, but hopefully she looks less like a heavy-lidded ne'r-do-well. If I work on this again (it's due Thursday but I like to let it dry for several days before moving it), I'll see if I can improve the hairline.

Closed Thread