Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2011, 06:41 PM
:coffee:

View Posts: 18,006
The Artists Café! - You can do anything you want and it's always going to look good

On the corner of Jett Avenue and Twizzler Lane, there's a small nook of a cafe. You've walked by it several times, but not once felt like going in, until today...

You walk in and are greeted with a strangely strong scent of peppermint, with warm air lofting over your entire body, biting away the cool air that the harsh outdoors left on you. You're warmed up immediately and once you're able to look around, you see people, many people; most of them hutched over with a pencil in their hand sketching something on paper. You walk in, and right off the bat you're welcomed into a group of eccentric young artists with eager artistic discussion to be shared.

So grab some caramel corettas and take a seat!

The Artists Café!

Here, you can talk about anything related to art. Some pieces you've admired for years, things that inspire you, things that you feel when working on art. Anything at all! Tell us about a piece you're recently working on. And if you're not an artwork board regular but feel like sharing something artistic with us, feel free. Don't be afraid to let loose a little and talk about the main reason you're here... art!

There are some rules to be followed however, so make sure you abide by them or else we'll have to ask you to leave! :<

I. Don't spam, swear, flame, post completely off topic things! Doing so will land you with a warning or an infraction depending in your past history.

II. Be respectful.

III. Mind the plants in the corner.. they're getting old and rather fragile.

IV. If you're unsure about anything else, please talk to either Gold or Vynrah, and we'll be more than happy to help you out!

V. Follow the general ZU rules and the Corner rules.

VI. If you're looking for some critique, you can always post a link to your thread here and people will be happy to go look!

So, after reading and understanding all of that, you may begin to post away!

---

Also, on the left wall over there, you'll notice something known as..

The Artist Board!

Welcome to your wonderful source of interesting artist related links! Here you'll find a redirect to the List of Community Events, where you can check out the fun happs around the creative boards! You'll also find another link to references and tutorials that may help you out! Also, other useful, interesting links may also pop in and out as time goes by.

Art Resources, Tutorials, and Tools
The List of Community Events
Constructive Posting 101, or 'How to Leave Better Comments!

But what is this? It seems to be nothing other than a shameful list of..

ARTIST LINKS!

Spoiler: Click to see our shameful displays of attention seeking!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextherivers
Sketchy-32 on deviantART
Its my page, I just changed my username.
and also check out [Cm] Mia by *Harpiya on deviantART
which is a commission of my Crying Alone by =Sketchy-32 on deviantART
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altamira
This is about the only thing I update consistently, although I never post my university artwork here, just stuff that I do for fun:

SuperAiko on deviantART

Then there's my art thread here:

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/...of-images.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlioz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliope
-main blog
-deviantart
-current art thread
-tumblr

(the tumblr is linked right to my art tag- I post a ton of doodles/sketches there; more often that any of the other sites)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekuQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Legend
Website portfolio - (Currently dead and empty).
DeviantArt
Tumblr
Livestream
Current ZU Art Thread

---

DeviantArt is where I take my art most seriously since I post all my new works there before anywhere else usually, and it's mainly used for my polished works. Tumblr and my ZU art thread is where I also post my polished works, but also my miscellaneous doodles and scraps and sometimes wips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadotheKokiri
Nerdy webcomic featuring the occasional piece of irrelevant art.
Skip straight ahead to the Zelda-related stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marios-Tri4ce
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxChong7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos-Romulus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull Kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonch
Blog
DeviantArt
Current ZU art thread
Twitter
YouTube

Most of the time the same content is uploaded across the first three links (with the exception of music on DA because for whatever stupid reason, DA doesn't allow music submissions).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vynrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshirama

If you want your links to be added, feel free to message your modly mod Harrie!
Last Edited by Cap'n Harrie; 10-04-2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2011, 06:52 PM
__
View Posts: 8,498
Re: The Artists Café! - You can do anything you want and it's always going to look good

Ah, so this basically serves the purpose of all those defunct art-related social groups on the site nobody uses?
I suppose that's a good idea! There are topics that come up from time-to-time in this area that are more discussions about art than actual art threads (I remember a discussion of the industry and such came up once).
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2011, 06:57 PM
View Posts: n/a
Re: The Artists Café! - You can do anything you want and it's always going to look good

Subbing.

Is it worth it to buy a tablet if you can't draw for ****? Like, I know it won't make me good all of a sudden, but it certainly couldn't hurt, especially if I try to do stuff in Illy or feel like making a drawing-y sig. Also, which one would be the best if one were to get one? I've heard Wacom Bamboo is pretty decent, but I don't know.
Last Edited by Kapowza; 01-04-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Banned User
View Posts: 30,586

I agree with Tonch. This is a wonderful idea, BJ. :3

I'll start it off by asking my fellow artists what kind of art styles and themes do you prefer/like or dislike? Obviously I like Fire Emblem's art style, but I also tend to enjoy chibis, Zelda's toon style (I mean the kind of art you see in TWW, TMC, FSA, etc.), and sometimes realistic stuff.

As for themes, anyone who knows me well knows I'm a sucker for romance. I just can't take tragic stuff. xP I also like seeing artwork of horses and horse creatures (cause I absolutely adore them) as well as other animals.

I'm not really into horrific stuff like monsters and things, or sci-fi.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2011, 07:00 PM
__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke$ha View Post
Subbing.

Is it worth it to buy a tablet if you can't draw for ****? Like, I know it won't make me good all of a sudden, but it certainly couldn't hurt, especially if I try to do stuff in Illy or feel like making a drawing-y sig. Also, which one would be the best if one were to get one? I've heard Wacom Bamboo is pretty decent, but I don't know.
I don't have a Bamboo (the one I've got is discontinued), but I have universally heard that they are good buys.
They're some of the cheapest you can get, they're good in quality, and they are small (which, contrary to what you might think, is a good thing for portability and maneuverability).

They're still kind of expensive if you're not really all that into drawing, but the Bamboos are a good choice I think if you're really wanting to get one.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonch View Post
Ah, so this basically serves the purpose of all those defunct art-related social groups on the site nobody uses?
I suppose that's a good idea! There are topics that come up from time-to-time in this area that are more discussions about art than actual art threads (I remember a discussion of the industry and such came up once).
Yes, I suppose you could say that! I'd like to see you around here a lot, Tonch, you're devilishly good at art, and I think you'd be wonderful at discussing these things. :3

Quote:
Subbing.

If you don't mind spending a hundred bucks, I'd say it's worth it. I bought one and I'm really not that great of an artist, but they're hell as fun. It might take a bit to get used to it, but I found that I caught on super quick after only spending less then an hour with mine.

Wacom is the bommmmbbbb. I got mine about six months ago and it hasn't given me any troubles yet!

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
I agree with Tonch. This is a wonderful idea, BJ. :3

I'll start it off by asking my fellow artists what kind of art styles and themes do you prefer/like or dislike? Obviously I like Fire Emblem's art style, but I also tend to enjoy chibis, Zelda's toon style (I mean the kind of art you see in TWW, TMC, FSA, etc.), and sometimes realistic stuff.

As for themes, anyone who knows me well knows I'm a sucker for romance. I just can't take tragic stuff. xP I also like seeing artwork of horses and horse creatures (cause I absolutely adore them) as well as other animals.

I'm not really into horrific stuff like monsters and things, or sci-fi.
I lovelovelplevpevpepveplvoelvoelvoelvepv art with added personality. Most people I know can look at a pic and draw what they see, but I think it takes a special person to add personality to it, which is why I love looking at Tonch's and Calliope's art! :>

I also like most artwork that I've seen done with watercolor.

And anything like Mucha: mucha art - Google Search

Absolutely beautiful!
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Banned User

Yeah, added personality is always a nice touch. I like how Tonch does it as well. :3

I also enjoy seeing pictures that tell stories. That's why I still enjoy looking at that one contest entry I did last year when the theme was innocence of childhood despite that it didn't turn out all that great. I was illustrating the backstory of one of my FE fan characters and that was the most important part of the picture.
Last Edited by Sonic Rainboom; 01-04-2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2011, 07:13 PM
__

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenjoker View Post
I'd like to see you around here a lot, Tonch, you're devilishly good at art, and I think you'd be wonderful at discussing these things. :3
Ha ha, I'll have to disagree, but thank you

Quote:
Wacom is the bommmmbbbb. I got mine about six months ago and it hasn't given me any troubles yet!
Though not a Bamboo, my tablet is also a Wacom (Graphire), and it's given me no trouble either. I must have had it for a good four years or so by now, at least. (Though the eraser on the end of my pen is going on the fritz occasionally but it's not that unreasonable a thing to happen after using it so much)

It's simple but effective and I love the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
I'll start it off by asking my fellow artists what kind of art styles and themes do you prefer/like or dislike?
Though I recognize and agree with the importance of learning it, I'm not big on realism or things of that nature. Life drawing is boring to me. I'm always thinking "well why would I want to draw something that's already there?" The point of drawing to me has always been a bit of escapism. The whole point is to do what you can't in real life. That's what I enjoy about it.

As far as physical styles go I like cartoony stuff. I have this thing about always giving my characters enormous hands and feet.
I've really grown to hate a lot of anime standbys, but that's not to say I hate anime in general as a rule-- anime can be very stylish if it's done well. (Problem is it's usually not)
Last Edited by GooeyKablooie; 01-04-2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Banned User

Oh hey, speaking of art tools and programs and stuff, has anyone heard of Crayola Art Studio? I bought it recently with a Target gift card. I talked a little bit about it in my art thread, but I didn't go into detail.

It may not be Photoshop, but Crayola's little program here can actually make some pretty sweet effects. See, the drawing tools mimic real life ones, like pencils, crayons, markers, acrylic paint, pastel, charcoal, and more. You can even mix colors together in several ways. You can add stamps, use the shape tools, add artsy text, and more. The program also comes with a few drawing tips.

The only thing I'd call a downside though, is the absence of an eraser tool. But really, it isn't that difficult to make something nice without needing to use one once you play around with the program some.

If anyone has any questions about it that I haven't answered already though, feel free to ask me. :]

Also, I was just thinking. The most active and knowledgeable artists here should be nicknamed "waiters and waitresses" of this cafe thread! It's not supposed to be something official or anything, just a way to distinguish the most active and knowledgeable artists here from the newbies and...well, developing artists, I think I should say. This list would be my pick:

Tonch
Eternal Legend
Astarael
Deimos Remus
Phobos Romulus
Super Decimal
Fuzzykins
Gold

Of course, I wouldn't mind helping out as well, but it'd make me sound biased to include myself. xP But anyway, these "waiters" and "waitresses" are the people who'd be best at answering questions about art skills and whatnot.
Last Edited by Sonic Rainboom; 01-04-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2011, 07:26 PM

That's a cute idea, Ranny, but I don't think we'll be needing any help anytime soon. It's a good idea to keep for the future though encase the mods need any extra assistance. If anyone has a question they can post and everyones free to answer it. :3
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2011, 07:32 PM

As long as I'm the owner and make the most profit, I'm all for it.

Mattocks can be the chef since he is a woman cooks and food is an art.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Banned User

BJ: Yeah, I thought you might say that.

It was just an idea after all, lol.

Anyway, if anyone needs a picture reference to the program I was talking about, here you go.

Last Edited by Sonic Rainboom; 01-04-2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 8,175

On the subject of a tablet, you do not need to spend hundreds of dollars. A Bamboo Pen tablet is $79 USD. Very inexpensive, but will get the job done.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Super Mecha Death Christ
Send a message via Skype™ to Melpomene

View Posts: 11,900

The cheapest tablets here are $99 that I could see.
I got mine for about $150 since I got the Wacom bamboo & touch.
It is pretty good. I have had a few troubles with the tablet not working and being stuck on touch mode. Annoying as it is, all I have to do is uninstall, reinstall the disk and it works again.

I use photoshop elements 7. Gets the job done even though I still have not really got used to blurring and all those features that make drawings extra nice.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2011, 08:20 PM

Pfft, real men use spray paint.

#16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Super Mecha Death Christ
Send a message via Skype™ to Melpomene

View Posts: 11,900

Ke$ha/killington whatever you are. What do you use?
Some of your sigs are really amazing looking.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 PM

Oh man, the first time I saw that guys art, I kept rewatching it and rewatching it. It's amazing how he does it.. and surprisingly it does look kind of easy and I've wanted to attempt doing it.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Pfft, real men use spray paint.

Actually, Crayola Art Studio has a spray can type tool too.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 PM

Alrighty dudes and gals, there's been an update!

The Deviantart thread along with the Reference & Tutorial thread have been unpinned and linked to in the opening post of the Cafe!

Makes for less cluttering stickies, imo.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
Ke$ha/killington whatever you are. What do you use?
Some of your sigs are really amazing looking.
GIMP, but I suck compared to a lot of GFXers. My best sig is definitely low mod, maybe even almost close to solid (but not really), while most of my others are either high nov or just barely making the cusp of low mod (I know the standards don't apply if you don't know or care, but whatever).

I can link you to some really really good people, if you'd like.

Tags
classical, debbie, debbie is fabulous, fabulous, zelda