Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#381 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Banned User
View Posts: 30,568
Re: The Artists Café! - You can do anything you want and it's always going to look good

And see, you're assuming that I"m "fishing for compliments" and "thinking I'm the best artist" yet again.

NEITHER OF THESE THINGS ARE TRUE. Get it through your head. I know damn well that I'm not the best artist here, and I just agreed with EL earlier that there's no such thing as a best artist. People TELL me I'm one of ZU's BETTER artists and that's where I get my judgement. I don't use my opinion, I use others' opinions.

As for "fishing for compliments," I wasn't offended that you didn't put me in your list, I was offended that you'd say such a rude thing to me right in my face. Completely different.

And I wasn't criticizing you, I was trying to make a friendly recommendation that you check out the artwork of a few other people.

And yes, I will take this up with another mod, because frankly, I'm tired of you starting arguments with me and accusing me of doing things that I'm not doing at all.
Last Edited by Sonic Rainboom; 06-23-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #382 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-23-2011, 03:00 PM
SeriousDiscussion
View Posts: 24,034
Re: The Artists Café! - You can do anything you want and it's always going to look good

Go right ahead, my dear.
I nevertheless maintain that you're currently dramallama'ing.
  #383 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Avalanchemike

View Posts: 17,614

lol

hi

so I don't post much in the art section these days, but appreciation to Mi for mentioning me as a notable artist (: You's mah babe.

As for fave artists, I think for me I like different aspects of different artists' styles. For example, in terms of being most charismatic, my eye is always, always drawn to Calli's work. Always. In regards to colour scheme, my arty heart goes to Asta. Anatomy, I'd say Phobus. An eye for detail and hella patience; EL. Diversity and unafraid to try new stuff; DQ and Vynrah. There's lots more I can't think of right now, but srsly, there's so much that makes an artist's style that needs to be taken into consideration.

SO YEAH, dinner's ready PIZZA TIME / outzies
3 people liked this post: Calliope, EternaLegend, SuperDecimal
  #384 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 04:44 AM
SeriousDiscussion

Anytime, bb <3

Also; art moar.

That Mermaid and Sea Serpent drawing you did a while back kicked serious ass.
What happened to that bust of that work in progress you were working on a while ago, out of interest? I think at that point, you only did half the face.
  #385 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 07:23 AM
Avalanchemike

View Posts: 17,614

Oh wow, you remember the mermaid piece? D'aawwh <3. Um, the other half-face one... I never finished it lol. I tend to get bored of sketches easily @_@ and then move onto something else. I used to be really picky about not finishing my artz, but nowadays I tend to flit from thing to thing, digitally or traditional means. Anyone else do that? AM I ALONE?

(also, Mi, how often do you practice sketching? I can still remember a lot of your older artz, and you've improved so much. Curious!)
  #386 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Have you ever died and thought to yourself: "Why am I still thinking?"
Send a message via AIM to Quark Send a message via Skype™ to Quark

View Posts: 28,511

Heya, I've... never posted in here before, but I thought I'd at least finally drop by and say hi to everyone.

I've been posting my art in here a long time and I realize that I've basically never really connected with the art community here. It's a shame because I love art, but I guess I've just been... nervous or something? I dunno. There are a lot of great artists here, most of who are better than me, so I guess it's a little intimidating (not to say you're intimidating people or anything, I'm just a bit of a pansy). xD

Anyway! I guess I'll say I just finished a piece of work, though I am willing to go back and change stuff if you feel like critiquing it or something. I actually mainly just want a name for the character. I have a few ideas, but... nothing that I've felt strongly about.

Anyway, here's the picture if you want to take a look.

I know there's a critique thread, but I just don't want to make a big fuss over it. xP

But yeah, I'm Quark, I draw using Flash CS3 (yes, I know, I'm a weirdo), and I draw using a mouse (my tablet broke a while ago).

-=========}xxxx[] Denizens of My Brain []xxxx{=========-
{Quark's Intermittent Art Vomitorium}
  #387 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 4,489

Heya Quark! I'll definitely check it out when I get the chance, I see your updates but usually have nothing new to say ("cool style" again?), BUT I WILL THIS TIME. I don't blame you for not using the critique thread though, no offense to anyone who likes it/helped to put it in place, but I think it'd be a lot easier to comment on whatever whenever, sometimes you have nothing to contribute to the most recent piece, but now I'm rambling and this is a run on sentence.

And Liah, ohmahlawd, I sometimes have the art attention span of a goldfish lolololololololol
nothing gets done
  #388 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vynrah View Post
Heya Quark! I'll definitely check it out when I get the chance, I see your updates but usually have nothing new to say ("cool style" again?), BUT I WILL THIS TIME. I don't blame you for not using the critique thread though, no offense to anyone who likes it/helped to put it in place, but I think it'd be a lot easier to comment on whatever whenever, sometimes you have nothing to contribute to the most recent piece, but now I'm rambling and this is a run on sentence.
Thanks! Means a lot. ^_^

And yeah, nothing against the critique thread, but it's not something I think I'd want to utilize a lot. It's not to say I'm against a good constructive critique, but since you're supposed to leave a critique before you ask for one sometimes I feel like I'm just looking for things to critique in areas where I really don't have anything to add. xP I dunno, it was like this a year or two ago, but I haven't actually checked the thread in a while.

Last Edited by Quark; 06-24-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #389 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2011, 05:11 AM
SeriousDiscussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liah View Post
Oh wow, you remember the mermaid piece? D'aawwh <3. Um, the other half-face one... I never finished it lol. I tend to get bored of sketches easily @_@ and then move onto something else. I used to be really picky about not finishing my artz, but nowadays I tend to flit from thing to thing, digitally or traditional means. Anyone else do that? AM I ALONE?

(also, Mi, how often do you practice sketching? I can still remember a lot of your older artz, and you've improved so much. Curious!)
My lawd! Of coure I remember it!
And that collab with you and Iroas for that Gerudo woman. It was amazeballs!

Yeah, I start something, feeling all YES ♡♡♡♡ YES THIS WILL BE AWESOME AND I AM SO MOTIVATED and five minutes later - a half-finished sketch lies lonely on the floor, my pencil having gotten bored and wanted to do some other drawing instead xD

Occasionally I'll find old WIPS I'd started over the years and heave at how awful they were! xD

I think I draw in waves - I'll get all arty-feeling and maybe draw a few things for a few months, then stop for a few months/years, then draw for a few months xD
I can never keep it up consistantly!

You know what, Imight make a thread alter about your artwork now compared to years ago so people can show how they've changed! :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
Heya, I've... never posted in here before, but I thought I'd at least finally drop by and say hi to everyone.

I've been posting my art in here a long time and I realize that I've basically never really connected with the art community here. It's a shame because I love art, but I guess I've just been... nervous or something? I dunno. There are a lot of great artists here, most of who are better than me, so I guess it's a little intimidating (not to say you're intimidating people or anything, I'm just a bit of a pansy). xD

Anyway! I guess I'll say I just finished a piece of work, though I am willing to go back and change stuff if you feel like critiquing it or something. I actually mainly just want a name for the character. I have a few ideas, but... nothing that I've felt strongly about.

Anyway, here's the picture if you want to take a look.

I know there's a critique thread, but I just don't want to make a big fuss over it. xP

But yeah, I'm Quark, I draw using Flash CS3 (yes, I know, I'm a weirdo), and I draw using a mouse (my tablet broke a while ago).
Pffft, if you want any advice for improvement, don't hesitate at all to post in the Critique Central!

One thing that really surprised me when creating the ZU group on dA was that you drew! I had absolutely no idea! And I was blown away by how awesome your art is!
So seriously post more. >:3

I'll definitely post on your art piece linked! ^+^
  #390 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2011, 07:44 AM
ELpaca

View Posts: 17,368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ghirahim View Post
My thought process was my own personal preference, and with her rusty, surreal worlds and artistic direction, DQ - and with your smooth, marble shading and colouring, yourself sprang to mind - but then I though on the other end of the scale of how solid and characaturistic J Jenoah's stye is - and then I though how in a similar - yet parallel direction, we had Calli who had art with such whimsical, almost French sorts of atmosphere, and how utterly the opposite Phobos Romulus's art is with the very visceral lines and shading - and then I thought again back to you with your marble shading/distinctive colouring and shapes - then onwards in a large circle until I ended where I started and vice versa.

It really is too subjective a task to try to do. And in hindsight, trying to rank people in such a way is just redunkalus.
Very very true.

I really love the large diversity of unique styles that I've seen here on ZU. It's quite amazing and inspiring. <3

Putting an artist on top of another really is ridiculous in that sense.

Quote:
I think you can rank people if they practice a similar art style and goal for their art, for example, if I wanted to rank who draws a realistic Link best of people whose goal it is to draw a realistic Link,, then obviously I'd place someone drawing a very good TP Link over someone drawing a less polished TP Link or WW Link - but generally, when thinking about people who have such radically different styles, it's just impossible to order. Especially in a place so artistically diverse as the ZU artists
Even when it comes to realism, an individual's style still shines through. I've seen a lot of realistic drawings based on one reference picture and from what I've seen, one of those artists really know how to capture the texture in the picture while another can express depth better and the other captures colour well etc...

Even in that case, it's hard to say that one of those artists are better than the other. An artist has their strengths and weaknesses, but you can never find one who is perfect in everything because it's impossible.

Ich Will: "As a kid I remember grabbing cats by their tails and spinning them around like you do with Bowser in Mario 64. Then I'd throw them away. Dunno if I got that from the game though lol."
Last Edited by EternaLegend; 06-25-2011 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: SuperDecimal
  #391 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Super Mecha Death Christ
Send a message via Skype™ to Melpomene

View Posts: 11,873

♡♡♡♡ quark.

You got skill boy.

I don't see people as being better than me. I see them as having more skill than me, people that I can look to and get advice or see their techniques to teach yourself how to improve.
I guess because everyone here is so nice I see you all as more friends than rivals in the art community here. But I look at everyones technique and pick up on what they do to try make my style and art better.

We are all here to help each other and improve.
I mean, there are some people that won't even comment in peoples threads unless they think they are better than themselves and pretty much snob anyone else and wont even bother to acknowledge them as fellow artists
. But most of the community here is great and the people that bother to give critique, are just great <3

@Liah.
I do that too. I have so many unfinished drawings now. I just get bored or feel defeated. Depends what mood I'm in.
Mainly just I move onto something new and forget about it.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノRaise your dongersヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
1 person liked this post: Gold
  #392 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Banned User

Seeing other artists as having more skill instead of being better...

That's a really good way to look at it, Mel. I never thought of that before. In fact, I'd like to see it that way as well myself! :>

And, admittedly, I don't comment in others' art threads very often. I just have no idea what to say, even when I find I really like a piece. I always comment when I do think of something to say, however, as it's only polite.
1 person liked this post: Melpomene
  #393 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2011, 08:38 AM
ELpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liah View Post
I'm sorry I skipped your post earlier Liah!

You're not alone with what you go through when it comes to decisions in art! <3 A lot of people do it.

And it's a habit I'm trying to break - actually finishing something than starting a million new pieces per day .___.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
I don't see people as being better than me. I see them as having more skill than me, people that I can look to and get advice or see their techniques to teach yourself how to improve.
I guess because everyone here is so nice I see you all as more friends than rivals in the art community here. But I look at everyones technique and pick up on what they do to try make my style and art better.
This is what I love about ZU's creative area. It's such a welcoming community where we all share our skills and to help each other out. And all of you are such inspiring people <3

Quote:
We are all here to help each other and improve.
I mean, there are some people that won't even comment in peoples threads unless they think they are better than themselves and pretty much snob anyone else and wont even bother to acknowledge them as fellow artists
^ That is an attitude that I just cannot stand.

To be a good artist, it's not just about the skill, but the attitude as well. I hate artists who go around thinking that they're better than everyone else and rub it all over the place, or someone who is still learning but are sour to those who have more skill and just verbally abuse them for the sake of being jealous.

It is a fast route to ruin your reputation for good.

Ich Will: "As a kid I remember grabbing cats by their tails and spinning them around like you do with Bowser in Mario 64. Then I'd throw them away. Dunno if I got that from the game though lol."
5 people liked this post: Calliope, Gold, Melpomene, Quark, SuperDecimal
  #394 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Banned User

I don't like that kind of attitude either. Then again, who would? There's always going to be artists you can learn from, because we all excel in different areas when it comes to art.

For example, I'm told I do best with armor and clothes. But my anatomy could still use improvement, so that's why I'm here. :]
  #395 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Pffft, if you want any advice for improvement, don't hesitate at all to post in the Critique Central!
Maybe I should then, I dunno. xB

Quote:
One thing that really surprised me when creating the ZU group on dA was that you drew! I had absolutely no idea! And I was blown away by how awesome your art is!
So seriously post more. >:3
Thanks, SD. Means a lot. x3

Quote:
I'll definitely post on your art piece linked! ^+^
Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Legend View Post
Even when it comes to realism, an individual's style still shines through. I've seen a lot of realistic drawings based on one reference picture and from what I've seen, one of those artists really know how to capture the texture in the picture while another can express depth better and the other captures colour well etc...

Even in that case, it's hard to say that one of those artists are better than the other. An artist has their strengths and weaknesses, but you can never find one who is perfect in everything because it's impossible.
Yeah, this is very true. I'm learning to be a Character Animator, and this applies just as well there. I mean early on, certainly you're just... not that great because you're still learning the trade, but once you're out and animating some people are better at acting shots, others at action shots. Some know how to do subtle movements better, and others can do complex actions better.

I guess in a way it applies to almost any art form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
♡♡♡♡ quark.

You got skill boy.
:'D

#396 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2011, 04:10 PM
deimos-remus deimos-remus is a male United States deimos-remus is offline
Thread Killer Extraordinaire.
View Posts: 399

I can say that there's a definition of a Best Artist, one who's perfect at everything that artist does(composition, color, anatomy, etc) but It still relies on the opinions of others.

I can think of the best artist of all time(in my opinion) but it will differ from your opinions of who that is.

Nathan Anderson: Illustration, Concept Art and Design.
My website
My Art Thread
My Gallery
My Portfolio
  #397 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2011, 11:48 PM
SeriousDiscussion

- was in the middle of trying to give replies to every thread in this section, as you might seen me tart a few hours ago.
My computer pretty much (literally) exploded in the middle of it, hence no more replies as of yet (for Quark too!) but I'll keep on carrying it out ASAP. Neglected this section far too long.
  #398 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-26-2011, 09:42 AM
ELpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
Yeah, this is very true. I'm learning to be a Character Animator, and this applies just as well there. I mean early on, certainly you're just... not that great because you're still learning the trade, but once you're out and animating some people are better at acting shots, others at action shots. Some know how to do subtle movements better, and others can do complex actions better.

I guess in a way it applies to almost any art form.
You're certainly right.

<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deimos-remus View Post
I can say that there's a definition of a Best Artist, one who's perfect at everything that artist does(composition, color, anatomy, etc) but It still relies on the opinions of others.

I can think of the best artist of all time(in my opinion) but it will differ from your opinions of who that is.
In my opinion, I still think it's impossible for an artist to master all of what you've mentioned above. The way an artist's style is developed, they have strengths towards a specific thing and a weakness towards another - even if they have tremendous skill.
Someone will always do a specific thing better because of their own individual style if you were to compare two artists who have the same level of extreme talent in the visual fields of art.

But you're right about someone's opinions towards another person's work.

In my opinion, I can't label anyone being better than someone else if they have some serious talent - including the old masters of our time.

Quote:
- was in the middle of trying to give replies to every thread in this section, as you might seen me tart a few hours ago.
My computer pretty much (literally) exploded in the middle of it, hence no more replies as of yet (for Quark too!) but I'll keep on carrying it out ASAP. Neglected this section far too long.
Oh SD, I hope your computer doesn't crash next time!
You seem to be having so much bad luck with it lately. : <

2 people liked this post: Moriquendi, Quark
  #399 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Amanda Mullins
View Posts: 10,905

I know I'm probably interrupting a really meaningful discussion right now, but there is something that I really feel overly compelled to show in any thread I visit. And it is this.

SO.

Hi Quark!

my website | deviantart | tumblr | zu art thread | blogger || avy/sig art © Amanda Mullins

hey hinkle-vinkle, eat ze armpit ja!?
6 people liked this post: Astarael, EternaLegend, Moriquendi, quail, Quark, SuperDecimal
  #400 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-26-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekuQueen View Post
[YOUTUBE]G-4u5L4um0c&feature=share[/YOUTUBE*]
Muaha... simply awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekuQueen View Post
Hi Quark!
Heya, DairyQueen!

Tags
classical, debbie, debbie is fabulous, fabulous, zelda