Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-08-2010, 09:56 AM
HitokiriChibi HitokiriChibi is a female Australia HitokiriChibi is offline
Mage Keybearer
Send a message via AIM to HitokiriChibi Send a message via Skype™ to HitokiriChibi
Steam ID: hitokirichibi
View Posts: 5,037
HitokiriChibi's Imaginings

Howdy all! To those who remember me, I'm back. To those who don't or haven't met me before, hiya ^_^ I'm Chibi and these are my arts~! I usually do request work for people in the Escapist's Haven section of ZU and occasionally I enter art comps on Gaia Online when I remember my account name.

I know I've got a lot to improve upon, so please don't hesitate to point out any flaws or things that could be better! I need your help to improve ^_^

So let's begin shall we? I'll try to post them from older to newer.

For those who know it, Castle Crashers, a downloadble game on the 360. One of the few pieces of fan art I'll do since I made this as a birthday card for my boyfriend:

Another fan art this time from Doom of the Pinky Demon, this one was requested:

This one was for one of the competitions on ConceptArt.org, being a self portrait of yourself at a Masquerade. Needless to say, I didn't finish it, and this is when I was trying a painting style of blocking in colors with no line art:

Another CA.org weekly comp, this time the theme was steampunk harem. Again I never get around to finishing them =_=;

Inspired by a Marquis de Sade outfit:

Cookie's RP character Harley, WIP:

The Ringleader's Mistress, from Gaia:

Rebecca, a water sprite belonging to someone on Gaia:

Kottan Bell, from Gaia:

Some faces I sketched from pictures on a laptop:

Cookie's Harley (again):

Altamira's RP character Cadenza:

Lastly, my own RP character Joker in a new set of clothes~!
2 people liked this post: Ryan Lazuli, theresa
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-08-2010, 10:05 AM
erudesu
View Posts: 17,701
Re: HitokiriChibi's Imaginings

Hooooollllly... WOW!

I love love love the variety you've shown us! You really have some serious skill in both fields of traditional and digital art!

I like how you've given personality to all your female characters. It makes me interested to see how a male character could look from your style!

Also, how long does it take to completely render up a digital artwork of yours from scratch? I have to say that I love your taste in fashion that you've given to each character.

This is really nice! I'd like to see more from you soon. <3
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Amanda Mullins
View Posts: 10,925

Great work! I had a fun time looking through all of these!

I love the sketches of the faces you did - even if they weren't something you really focused on, I like the line character. Altamira's character is really nicely done, all the colors work really well together (her tan skin, dark hair, and dark purple clothes). The demon guy is very cool... just, great work. The pinup girl in the green corset is probably one of my favorites. All your characters have personality. Awesomesauce!

You're on CA.org as well? I'll have to look for your art thread. I haven't posted any artwork on there yet, but I've always been browsing.

my website | deviantart | tumblr | zu art thread | blogger || avy/sig art Amanda Mullins

hey hinkle-vinkle, eat ze armpit ja!?
Last Edited by DekuQueen; 09-08-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Mage Keybearer
Send a message via AIM to HitokiriChibi Send a message via Skype™ to HitokiriChibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Legend View Post
Hooooollllly... WOW!

I love love love the variety you've shown us! You really have some serious skill in both fields of traditional and digital art!

I like how you've given personality to all your female characters. It makes me interested to see how a male character could look from your style!

Also, how long does it take to completely render up a digital artwork of yours from scratch? I have to say that I love your taste in fashion that you've given to each character.

This is really nice! I'd like to see more from you soon. <3
Yay, thank you so much X3 I was thinking the other day that I haven't drawn guy characters in awhile and I realized I didn't want to be one of those artists would would pretty much only draw the one gender. I have a guy character lined up for someone so there will be male art!

That being said, I do enjoy drawing females more because they just wear more interesting clothes which I love drawing XD I usually struggle to think of what a guy will wear and its harder to put the twist on things like I do with female outfits.

Rendering them on the computer these days takes me... possibly 24hrs or more, not including sketch time.
Sketches I usually still do on paper, then I scan them in and go from there. I find it faster that way cause when I start sketching on the computer it always takes me longer.
Like now, I'm working on one, I lined it and colored it in 6hrs, had one more thing to color and it would be 'done' but then I thought, "No, the proportions are wrong in some areas!" So i scrapped it and have been sketching various poses for the last 4 hours =_=;
I used to try and finish them in the one night but there's a lot to be said for stopping and looking at them with fresh eyes the next day, not to mention taking the time and not being sloppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekuQueen View Post
Great work! I had a fun time looking through all of these!

I love the sketches of the faces you did - even if they weren't something you really focused on, I like the line character. Altamira's character is really nicely done, all the colors work really well together (her tan skin, dark hair, and dark purple clothes). The demon guy is very cool... just, great work. The pinup girl in the green corset is probably one of my favorites. All your characters have personality. Awesomesauce!

You're on CA.org as well? I'll have to look for your art thread. I haven't posted any artwork on there yet, but I've always been browsing.
Thanks DQ! I should do more sketches like the faces, it actually really helped me learn to do noses, which I always struggle with.
Altamira's character was fun, I actually had it copied with 6 variations on the sweater color before I chose the purple one.
The pinup girl is one I want to finish but I always get sidetracked >_<

I do have a CA account but I haven't really uploaded anything XD I usually lurk around the character of the week thread for ideas if I run dry. I really wanted to try the Yuki Onna one a week or two ago *-* That's actually what inspired me to start the comps here when I was the mod XD

Finally, thank you both for saying my characters have personality. I always worry they are bland and that helps hearing it from two talented ladies such as yourselves *humbled*
Last Edited by HitokiriChibi; 09-08-2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Leave your weapons at the door
View Posts: 4,654

Oh, Chibi, they are beautiful! I love the details of the faces and clothing--it has a sense of realisim that blends with fantasy and creates loverliness!

;_; This makes meh wanna make a request, too! Where's the Chibi fan club? I'm joinin' it!
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Ryorinin-san Ryorinin-san is a female United States Ryorinin-san is offline
Dark Queen of Huggles
Send a message via AIM to Ryorinin-san
View Posts: 2,026

These all look really good! I really like the face sketches. It's always great to see an artist who shows some talent in realism as well. Too many people confine themselves to "cartoony" or "sketchy" type artistry, I think, when understanding traditional styles can lend so much to your technique. That is, if you are willing to devote the time to the hard work and attention to detail it requires. But, that is true of any art form.

I can't wait to see your renditions of Doyle and Aurora! ^^
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Burning hooves means Littlepip is watching...
Send a message via AIM to Puck
View Posts: 15,588

I just posted here to say I love Chibi-Kitty drawings. I Still treasure my picture of Kaze. <333
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Noble Keybearer

View Posts: 23,739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Legend View Post
Ms. Talented Artist didn't mention it when she responded, but the last drawing - the one of her character Joker - is actually a guy.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-08-2010, 09:24 PM
hella
View Posts: 4,567

Love your sketches, but most of all I love love love the Masquerade picture. Even though you didn't finish it, I looove the way the coloring was coming along. I'd love to see another piece done like this, it looks beautiful, even unfinished.

Eagerly awaiting more pictureees.

#10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Mage Keybearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairess View Post
Oh, Chibi, they are beautiful! I love the details of the faces and clothing--it has a sense of realisim that blends with fantasy and creates loverliness!

;_; This makes meh wanna make a request, too! Where's the Chibi fan club? I'm joinin' it!
Aww thankee Fairbee *huggles* I'll think about opening up for requests again some time, after I get through my current batch XD This time I know better than to line up ten or so people >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryorinin-san View Post
These all look really good! I really like the face sketches. It's always great to see an artist who shows some talent in realism as well. Too many people confine themselves to "cartoony" or "sketchy" type artistry, I think, when understanding traditional styles can lend so much to your technique. That is, if you are willing to devote the time to the hard work and attention to detail it requires. But, that is true of any art form.

I can't wait to see your renditions of Doyle and Aurora! ^^
I have to admit, going to Uni kinda scarred me for life in regards to my drawings. My art teacher was all of the opinion "Well, anime is all well and good for a hobby but if you want to be a real artist you need to make your own style." Then I went through a phase where I was trying to do everything more 'realistic' and it just wouldn't work so I started hating my stuff. Example of a failed attempt:

But I agree with you about traditional drawing. There's just so much more when you draw on paper than straight on the screen. I find there's more connection with the drawing when its on paper, more attitude in the sketch lines etc. The computer is a bit too distant.

Even to this day though, I still downplay my art saying 'It's alright but its only anime...' Though Cookie has tried to point out to me that my style can no longer be classified as anime or manga...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy Puck View Post
I just posted here to say I love Chibi-Kitty drawings. I Still treasure my picture of Kaze. <333
Hehehe Kaze, he was one of the first EH requests I colored on the compy X3 I rememba hiiim~! *huggles teh Puck Puck* Thankee for the kind words and still keeping Kaze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Duke Snuggleburg View Post
Ms. Talented Artist didn't mention it when she responded, but the last drawing - the one of her character Joker - is actually a guy.
Yes! Joker is a boy! XDDD I can't believe I didn't point that out XD Thank you Sabbo XD Hehe, "Ms. Talented Artist"... ya'll makin' me blush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vynrah View Post
Love your sketches, but most of all I love love love the Masquerade picture. Even though you didn't finish it, I looove the way the coloring was coming along. I'd love to see another piece done like this, it looks beautiful, even unfinished.

Eagerly awaiting more pictureees.
Gosh, just looking at it when I posted it made me want to finish it! I had so much trouble with that contest, I had one of those moments where I just had too many ideas and didn't finish any of them. I hate thinking too much XD

Anyway, I hate replying without posting something to showcase (which is why it took me so long to reply to all these comments) so here's something I'm working on! It's insaney's character Arina, and she's the one I was talking about where I'd nearly finished her then went "Noooooo, its all wrong!" I have like 8 different pieces on my compy of her in various levels of progress XD

Attempt #1 - 6hours total.

Sketch #2:

Sketch #3:

Attempt #2:

Current stage:
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Mage Keybearer

Well, I finally finished Arina so here she is XD Sorry I'm so boring with the backgrounds, but I didn't know what to put there >_<;

And many thanks to Cookie. Would never have gotten to the finish without him. He's be an awesome critiquer during my WiP stages since he's seen them from sketch to near completion to new sketch again. He's never afraid to point out any flaws I make and without him I never would have improved near as quick as I have today. So thank you Cookie and much luff ^w^
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Noble Keybearer

I like seeing all the little changes between the two versions of Arina. Beyond the obvious complexity changes, there are slight changes in shadow, hair color & length... And the glasses.

Oh, and Sketch #1 looks a bit chubby. (but I guess you probably noticed that. x3)
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Mage Keybearer

Lolz, yeah, her lips were to big, her head was too round and she was too busty.... when I realized just how much was wrong with it I scrapped it XDDDD

I attributed it to post-Cadenza drawing syndrome. Cadenza is a voluptuous lady, which was fun to draw but I have to admit it was a struggle for me to draw her breasts that large. I'm just not used to it XD They were a bit smaller when I first drew them and then I thought "Noooo they're not big enough still~!"
So when I got to Arina who has a more delicate body type, I kept messing up and drawing them too big XD
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Amanda Mullins
View Posts: 10,925

I think your 'failed attempt at realism' is just wonderful. Parts of it simply just look not finished, but otherwise it looks AWESOME!

And as for your professor commenting on the 'anime' thing, she/he does have a point. However, do not let them tell you what you can and can not draw. Feel free to be inspired by anime styles... what exactally do you like about the style? The way colors are slightly cell shaded? The big eyes? Crazy hair? All of these aspects that you find you like can possibly be taken and done in your own creative way. Just continue to explore out of your zone, and draw LOTS and LOTS of stupid things. xD Seriously!

I think you are a really good artist. There's nothing 'wrong' with drawing anime, but once you begin to develop some more of your own ways of drawing... you will love that more, since it is your own.

That aside, you do anime well. I actually think the finished version of your Arina character, while it does have anime influences does not SCREAM manga. You added background texture, and didn't outline everything in black... while also adding some realistic shading to her face.

I think you're doing great. ^_^

my website | deviantart | tumblr | zu art thread | blogger || avy/sig art Amanda Mullins

hey hinkle-vinkle, eat ze armpit ja!?
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Mage Keybearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekuQueen View Post
I think your 'failed attempt at realism' is just wonderful. Parts of it simply just look not finished, but otherwise it looks AWESOME!
Yeah, its mainly unfinished but I think i was just foolhardy to start a pose like that with no references. I kept changing the face cause I couldn't get the angles right then I just gave up on it. Next time I know to get a proper base idea first before throwing on the paints XD
Yay for thinking its awesome XD
Quote:
And as for your professor commenting on the 'anime' thing, she/he does have a point. However, do not let them tell you what you can and can not draw. Feel free to be inspired by anime styles... what exactally do you like about the style? The way colors are slightly cell shaded? The big eyes? Crazy hair? All of these aspects that you find you like can possibly be taken and done in your own creative way. Just continue to explore out of your zone, and draw LOTS and LOTS of stupid things. xD Seriously!
See, the problem is I started drawing anime way back when I was in highschool so its now my default sketch style. I drew it cause I liked watching it and now when I try to draw anything else, the proportions are usually anime-esque. Especially with the faces. I'm slowly trying to shrink things to normal proportions because at best I'd love to have a good grasp of realism.

But gotta love the crazy hair in anime XD I love drawing and shading hair.
Quote:
I think you are a really good artist. There's nothing 'wrong' with drawing anime, but once you begin to develop some more of your own ways of drawing... you will love that more, since it is your own.

That aside, you do anime well. I actually think the finished version of your Arina character, while it does have anime influences does not SCREAM manga. You added background texture, and didn't outline everything in black... while also adding some realistic shading to her face.

I think you're doing great. ^_^
Thank you, for everything you've just said ^_^ It's good to hear that from someone talented like yourself. I think I've got a ways to go before I find 'my style' that I'm happy with, but hey it'll be fun getting there. Its frustrating yet invigorating trying to find the elusive thing that is your own style XD

And hey, here are some toons I drew last year XD Just to throw in another image in this thread.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-20-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm not aware of my ways, but I'm willing to learn.
View Posts: 3,627

Impressive stuff! Your first four pieces are the best; I especially like the clean line work in your forth piece. The lines vary in thickness giving it a lively feel. It looks professional.

The realistic faces sketch is well done, but the eyes seems to be lopsided. Check your proportions. Other than that, fantastic.

One last thing: stay away from anime! You're first four pieces are fantastic, but the ones you did that are more anime-like look like 90% of what's posted on deviantArt. You're too talented for that.

I really look forward to seeing more art from you, and I'd really like it if you could update this thread as often as you can.
Last Edited by Kee; 09-20-2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Break the Unbreakable
Send a message via AIM to Altamira Send a message via Skype™ to Altamira
3DS ID: 0490-5369-0518

View Posts: 18,101

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitokiriChibi View Post
Lolz, yeah, her lips were to big, her head was too round and she was too busty.... when I realized just how much was wrong with it I scrapped it XDDDD

I attributed it to post-Cadenza drawing syndrome. Cadenza is a voluptuous lady, which was fun to draw but I have to admit it was a struggle for me to draw her breasts that large. I'm just not used to it XD They were a bit smaller when I first drew them and then I thought "Noooo they're not big enough still~!"
So when I got to Arina who has a more delicate body type, I kept messing up and drawing them too big XD
xDD

This made me giggle. (I'm trademarking it as an official syndrome!)

I really like the pose and the skirt from Sketch #3, namely the movement shown in it. It really captures her shy and gentle personality, the subtle femininity about her. But the final picture definitely uses a bit more realism than the rest--I like the nose!

Attempt #2 is probably the most interesting, in terms of overall composition.
Last Edited by Altamira; 09-20-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Noble Keybearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitokiriChibi View Post
And hey, here are some toons I drew last year XD Just to throw in another image in this thread.
...I really feel like coloring those now.

EDIT: But not the cat. I don't like cats.

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kee View Post
One last thing: stay away from anime! You're first four pieces are fantastic, but the ones you did that are more anime-like look like 90% of what's posted on deviantArt. You're too talented for that.
Bah; you're blind to what actually looks good in that style.
Last Edited by Sabbo; 09-20-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Mage Keybearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kee View Post
Impressive stuff! Your first four pieces are the best; I especially like the clean line work in your forth piece. The lines vary in thickness giving it a lively feel. It looks professional.

The realistic faces sketch is well done, but the eyes seems to be lopsided. Check your proportions. Other than that, fantastic.

I really look forward to seeing more art from you, and I'd really like it if you could update this thread as often as you can.
Thank you! Yeah, the faces did come out a bit lopsided. It was one of those things where I looked at it and thought, PERFECT! Then when I scanned them in I was all 'Oh... that wasn't as perfect as I thought at the time XD' I need to try doing more things like that, it was really helpful for me.

I'm trying to get away from anime XD Sometimes its just faster to draw in that style. Trying for 'realism' is always so time consuming for me. I will try to do more 'real' ones, I forgot how fun it was to paint without line art.

And yes, I hope I can update this thread often! I'd stopped drawing for awhile and man, I've missed it! I just hope I have time for it all ^w^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altamira View Post
xDD

This made me giggle. (I'm trademarking it as an official syndrome!)

I really like the pose and the skirt from Sketch #3, namely the movement shown in it. It really captures her shy and gentle personality, the subtle femininity about her. But the final picture definitely uses a bit more realism than the rest--I like the nose!

Attempt #2 is probably the most interesting, in terms of overall composition.
Yush, the post-Cadenza Syndrome XD Tis a insidious thing, making all female characters afterwards busty.

I can't remember why I didn't like Sketch #3... and Attempt 2 was certainly more dynamic XD I just didn't like it cause it wasn't... delicate enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Duke Snuggleburg View Post
...I really feel like coloring those now.

EDIT: But not the cat. I don't like cats.

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Bah; you're blind to what actually looks good in that style.
Lolz, you can if you want, so long as if you post it anywhere I get credited for the line art XD

And here's a mermaid I drew last year as well (yeah I know these are all 'last year' things but I haven't really done anything more recent XD) Warned: There is nudity~!
I know her breasts look wrong.. I keep meaning to come back and finish this one.. I really liked her torso and hands XD
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-20-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm not aware of my ways, but I'm willing to learn.
View Posts: 3,627

Boobs are a lot harder to draw! I still like your character and marine colors! The mermaids eyes give her an inhuman look that I really like!