Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2010, 06:44 AM
Super Mecha Death Christ
Send a message via Skype™ to Melpomene

View Posts: 11,873
Melps Museum

They are all taken on a normal Digital Camera as I do not own a DSLR.
I am not a professional, so be nice.

There is just a few. I will update every day or two after the first ones have been critisiced

Thankyou in advance.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノRaise your dongersヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Last Edited by Melpomene; 07-29-2010 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2010, 11:04 AM
always willing to stand corrected

View Posts: 17,466
Re: Melps Museum

I can see the first one has been editted. The blue on the right side is a bit choppy, but overall brings the color out of the eye - what program did you use?

The second one, is pretty cool, I think it's my most liked out of the bunch. I just like the angle and macro shot. The third one is kinda boring, but the cat is pretty, and the fourth one is pretty awesome color wise, but the quality of the photo takes a lot of way.

However, you did say you weren't professional, and I'm not professional either, so with that being said, they are nice, and you seem to be heading in the right direction. So good luck!
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2010, 11:59 AM
It's like watching two monkeys at the puberty zoo.

View Posts: 24,752

I see.. Movie World? Or Dreamworld. I think the Superman is at Movie World. MOVIE WORLD, RIGHT?

I'm no professional either but I dabble! Kinda. <_<

The first one, aside from being a very cliche macro-y shot, is probably a bit too heavily edited.

The second one feels like there isn't enough focus in the front.

The third one feels like more of a quick snapshot with sepia tone on it.

And the fourth is pretty nice but feels awkwardly chopped at the bottom with the tiny bit of waterfall, and the trees aren't straight which sort of bugs me.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Art Critic
Send a message via AIM to Shaelyn
View Posts: 780

the first shot, for being a run-of-the-mill eye shot, has pretty good composition. the eye isn't centered and staring at you like everyone else does when they do this. the focus is more on the top lashes than the pupil, but the lines of the lashes draw you down into the pupil. makes it more interesting. I can see what the people are talking about when they say it's obvious you edited it, though.

the second shot is kinda awesome ^_^ love the play of light. I do wish the rest of the bottle was in focus too, but it's not really necessary, I think. it works as-is.

the third shot is pretty mundane. it's a cat doing nothing interesting at all, and the composition isn't that interesting either (though, I know how hard it is to get a good composition on a live animal.)

the last one is spectacular in some respects, and kinda bad in others. the colors are fantastic - the oranges and reds versus the blues and greens. complimentary colors - it really pops, and draws your eyes in to the piece. the bad thing about it, is the lack of subject in your picture. once your eyes are drawn in, they wander all over the picture without really having a decent place to stop and take in what you're looking at. the bottom of the picture is very chaotic.
I'm kinda figuring you were going for a repetition shot with the trees and the lines of the rollercoaster track and support beams for it, but it's hard to even realize there's repetition in the picture right away. if you have access to get to this spot easily, I'd suggest you go back and try some different things to improve. try to eliminate the chaos. it may help to get more in the shot with less (use less of the rollercoaster to get your point across), and try to keep the rule of thirds in mind. the picture is cut into halves, both horizontally and vertically, and it's not really working.

keep at it!

ZU's monthly art contests are epic and made of win. you should check 'em out.

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Last Edited by Shaelyn; 02-26-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Super Mecha Death Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenjoker View Post
I can see the first one has been editted. The blue on the right side is a bit choppy, but overall brings the color out of the eye - what program did you use?

and the fourth one is pretty awesome color wise, but the quality of the photo takes a lot of way.
I used photoshop elements. But I am not that good so I just saturated the blue, which is why it is a bit choppy.

Well, that picture was taken on holiday, so I wasn't really thinking about it at the time. I just liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaelyn View Post
the third shot is pretty mundane. it's a cat doing nothing interesting at all, and the composition isn't that interesting either (though, I know how hard it is to get a good composition on a live animal.)

the last one is spectacular in some respects, and kinda bad in others.
The cat one looked way better in full view, but It seemed I had made it small. It is hard to get any nice ones on an animal that won't keep still.

The last one, I have never thought about the rule of thirds. But I see what you mean it is a bit busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panique View Post
I see.. Movie World? Or Dreamworld. I think the Superman is at Movie World. MOVIE WORLD, RIGHT?

The third one feels like more of a quick snapshot with sepia tone on it.

And the fourth is pretty nice but feels awkwardly chopped at the bottom with the tiny bit of waterfall, and the trees aren't straight which sort of bugs me.
Yes, it probably was a quick snapshot with sepia on. You are right there.
It is movie world

Yes, the whole fountain was in it, but someone was in the way. Being that I was on holidays and I'm pretty sure we were leaving at that point I wasn't in the mood to stand and take another one. Holding us up.

Trees arent straight...? I don't see how they are wonky.

#6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Hatsune Miku Hatsune Miku is a male United States Hatsune Miku is offline
Time Machine
Send a message via Skype™ to Hatsune Miku
View Posts: 13,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
I see a cat. But then again I see dog.
Do my eyes decive me??
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2010, 10:49 PM
por que esta es la rumba
View Posts: 2,296

I like how the colors contrast each other, consequently making them more vibrant (aside from the cat with the sepia tone), such as the mascara and the deep blue in the first and the rich blues and yellows in the second. The third speaks for itself, I enjoy all the color.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Super Mecha Death Christ

So here are some more. Thankyou for your critisism so far If the quality seems sub-standard please remember I am not using a DSLR. It is a Sony cybershot 7MP camera.

Last Edited by Melpomene; 02-26-2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Casanova
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2010, 11:50 PM
Time Machine

The pictures in your last post exellent, and they surpass your first post of pictures.

Just one little thing you messed up on:
The last photo of the dandylion was good, but try and center it next time.

That's my take on it.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-27-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Trees arent straight...? I don't see how they are wonky.

I feel like it'd be more appealing if the tops of the trees all lined up to the white line, instead of sloping down.

Or actually, looking back now it'd look nicer if they were all the height of the bottom tree. Otherwise they'd cover the rollercoaster too much.
Last Edited by Panique; 02-27-2010 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-27-2010, 02:48 AM
Super Mecha Death Christ

Oh, that is because they are set in a circular way around the fountain. So, there is nothing I can do about that.

But I see what you mean now, I thought you meant they were wonky sideways for some reason.

#12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Time Machine

Fine. I won't compliment on your photos, and give advice.
Just ignore this post like you did my last one.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Super Mecha Death Christ

Hey no need to get rude Mr Okami.
I apreciate advice.
Thankyou.

But I like that the dandelion is off centre, it kind of makes it more interesting. Imo. But I get what you mean.

#14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-27-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Oh, that is because they are set in a circular way around the fountain. So, there is nothing I can do about that.

But I see what you mean now, I thought you meant they were wonky sideways for some reason.
Oh, I know they're set like that, and I know it was a quick snapshot because you were leaving the park or something. But in future if you were going back and composing a shot like that you'd probably think about moving around a bit so the trees were a little more symmetrical.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Time Machine

Quote:
Hey no need to get rude Mr Okami.
I apreciate advice.
Thankyou.

But I like that the dandelion is off centre, it kind of makes it more interesting. Imo. But I get what you mean.
Your welcome.(no sarcasm intended)
And I guess I'm sorry...

And since this is a topic about photos, I learned in my photography, that most people like it when the main (can't think of the word)image that's the center of attention, is in the center of the photo.
But some things can be random and flow freely.
Example:
A sunset and a tree.

It's still a little complex to me. But I get most of the picture, if you know what I mean.

Can't wait to see more of your work.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Super Mecha Death Christ

Quote:
Oh, I know they're set like that, and I know it was a quick snapshot because you were leaving the park or something. But in future if you were going back and composing a shot like that you'd probably think about moving around a bit so the trees were a little more symmetrical.
Yeah, I'm going back this year sometime and hope to get some more nice pictures I shall think about the picture more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Okami View Post
Your welcome.(no sarcasm intended)
And I guess I'm sorry...

And since this is a topic about photos, I learned in my photography, that most people like it when the main (can't think of the word)image that's the center of attention, is in the center of the photo.
But some things can be random and flow freely.
Example:
A sunset and a tree.

It's still a little complex to me. But I get most of the picture, if you know what I mean.

Can't wait to see more of your work.
Thankyou. I hope to keep a normal flow of work being put up. I think it really depends on the subject. But I don't really know the rules of things.

#17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-28-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm going back this year sometime and hope to get some more nice pictures I shall think about the picture more.
I'm going in March and now I want to bring my DSLR haha. ;B It's a pretty decent place for photos I guess!

By the way that snail photo is SO CUTE I just wanna give it a slimy snail hug.
Last Edited by Panique; 02-28-2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-28-2010, 09:07 AM
Super Mecha Death Christ

Quote:
I'm going in March and now I want to bring my DSLR haha. ;B It's a pretty decent place for photos I guess!

By the way that snail photo is SO CUTE I just wanna give it a slimy snail hug.
The hard thing is trying to get a picture without someone ruining it. That was cropped to get some woman holding her pants up out of it. There is quite a few nice spots, I have another I shall put up that I like of the Batman Escape. Just got to try not have touristy shots. Which is pretty hard. Probably a reason I cropped the people out.

The snail is my fave picture. He looks scared and it is cute.
On Deviant Art I call it, 'Is it safe to come out?'

Thankyou again for your replies.

#19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-28-2010, 09:56 AM
QuantumPelican QuantumPelican is a male Australia QuantumPelican is offline
Spirit of Seasons
View Posts: 1,550

Quote:
Ok so I am after some constructive critisism as I want to do Photography at University.

They are all taken on a normal Digital Camera as I do not own a DSLR.
I am not a professional, so be nice.

Wow... Just wow this looks amazing. The way that the blue in the eye stands out from the white is... wow
Quote:
Again, wow just the only thing that I think could have been improved upon with a point and shoot camera is the sun. I this was taken earlier and the sun was lower, I think it would have worked to your advantage.
Quote:
LOL It looks like it is telling me off I reckon that this would have worked better if we could all of the cat's collar and ear and the right side of the photo looks a bit over-exposed.
Quote:
Good but I think that it would have worked better if you could see at least to the tips of the leaves on the trees.
Quote:
So here are some more. Thankyou for your critisism so far If the quality seems sub-standard please remember I am not using a DSLR. It is a Sony cybershot 7MP camera.

This is great too! The only thing that I can see that could have been improved on is the space at the top right between the top and right half of the cut orange. It probably should have been a solid black or dark green. Obviously this is very vey subtle but I'm only saying what I can see so you did well
Quote:
I can't find any flaws in this
Quote:
All I can see wrong with this is that it's a bit over exposed and maybe just a little too blurry.
(The last picture can not be added to this post.)
Nothing wrong with this one
Last Edited by QuantumPelican; 02-28-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Super Mecha Death Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrule Weirdo View Post

Again, wow just the only thing that I think could have been improved upon with a point and shoot camera is the sun. I this was taken earlier and the sun was lower, I think it would have worked to your advantage.
You mean later, that is a sunset not a sunrise.
Yeah this photo is one of the first I ever did, so I wasn't really thinking about anything. This was the first and only shot I took of the bottle.

Quote:
This is great too! The only thing that I can see that could have been improved on is the space at the top right between the top and right half of the cut orange. It probably should have been a solid black or dark green. Obviously this is very vey subtle but I'm only saying what I can see so you did well
I never noticed the corner, as stupid as that sounds.
Thankyou for that, it would look better with that blacked out.

Quote:
All I can see wrong with this is that it's a bit over exposed and maybe just a little too blurry.
Well the main focus is on my bussy the snail. But I agree the outsides are blury. I loved the snails expression and it over rided the outer blury.

Thankyou HyruleWeirdo I really apreciated your amount of effort you put into that.

Ok here are today's pictures.
First one is at Movie World. This, I know it isnt anything amazing, but I just like it. It looks black and white, which it isnt. Something I like for no reason at all.

If anyone saw or remembers my old signature, this is the picture i made it from.

This is one of the only really planned ones I have done, where I've put things in places. I did intend this to have a meaning. But I wont tell you, you will have to use your brain.

Last Edited by Melpomene; 02-28-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote

Tags
dick in a box, george