#35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 05:12 PM
The Friendly Misanthropist
Send a message via Yahoo to hypno_toad
View Posts: 955
Re: Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpoultry View Post
I have a website of a guy (or girl, I forget) who talks about their life struggling with homosexuality, and changes and is straight and happy. I'll need to go home first and find it in my bookmarks, but it is there, I promise.

All other "proof" you need is my own personal experience with my friends and you'll just have to take my word for it.
The fact that you put quotes around "proof" makes me very uneasy.

The fact is that guilt a very, very powerful tool. If from a young age, for instance, some is brainwashed into thinking that homosexuality is wrong, then later in life they realize that they are in fact homosexuals themselves, they will be fairly likely to seek "help," pray out the gay, so to speak. This is similar to why people who commit murder in the heat of the moment often feel guilty about. They often don't have antisocial or psychotic disorders that makes them unable to tell right from wrong. They believe that what they've just done is wrong, and it creates cognitive dissonance within them. That is why many hard line Christians who are gay can "miraculously" change their orientation. They may even convince them self if they want to believe hard enough, but it doesn't change the fact that you can never truly change who you are; you can only change behavior.
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- (Epicurus)