Wind Waker HD

With The Wind Waker HD heading to Wii U, it’s difficult not to wonder if any other classic Nintendo games will receive the same treatment. In an interview with GameSpot, Zelda creator Shigeru Miyamoto revealed that, while he is unable to discuss unannounced titles, he prefers to put his priorities into making new games.

GameSpot: “On top of Luigi’s Mansion and Pkimin 3, Wind Waker for the Wii U is supplementing that lineup. Is Nintendo considering giving Wii U treatment to any other games, potentially older games like Metroid Prime?”

Miyamoto: “Of course I can only talk about the titles we’ve announced publicly. We are thinking about the possibilities around that, but there’s nothing I can share today. I guess I can say from my perspective, I’m more interested in creating new titles.”

From a selfish standpoint and as someone still in possession of a large library of GameCube games, I’m in favour of more brand new titles over remakes. With the Wii U not selling quite as well as it deserves, I also think that increasing the console’s software line-up with new games may be best for the system’s survival at the moment.

However, it’s always nice for new audiences to get a chance to play games they missed out on. Hopefully, Nintendo will at least put GC games up on the Virtual Console some day. Are there any games you’d like to see remade for Wii U?

Source: GameSpot (via My Nintendo News)

19 thoughts on “Miyamoto is “more interested in creating new titles” than remakes

1. Rupee says:

Why not new title AND remakes?

1. Reece says:

No one's saying it HAS to be one or the other, it's just that new games and IPs are being prioritised. I agree that I can see the value in both.

1. peoaihoha says:

reece id like 2 c ur mother remade 4 the wii u

2. New titles are going to be good because i want to see some real creativity in new zelda games. It gives you a feeling when you discover something new in a zelda game. I remember when i faced bongo bongo for the first time i was terrified then i just lost all interest in the shadow temple. Even the dead hands.

3. Mahboi says:

Good for Miyamoto. I've noticed that the 3DS (not sure on the Wii U) has gotten a lot of remakes and straight sequels compared to other consoles. A few original IP's would boost the console's appeal.

4. Destiny says:

I like new titles and remakes the same but if you remake a game for a new console but can still be played on another console, why remake it? It would have been a better decision to remake The Legend of Zelda, the first in the series, for Wii U before Wind Waker.

5. PokeJosh says:

SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE

6. Vladislak says:

Good to hear that. Remakes and ports are nice, but nothing scratches that gamer itch like a brand new game!

7. Echon says:

Miyamoto's priorities are straight. New titles are better than remakes – though there are some games I wouldn't mind seeing remakes of, brand new material is much nicer to chew on than the old stuff. I always get worried when tons and tons of 'remakes' (more like cleaning up imaging in most cases) start coming out because it feels like the creativity in the industry is dried out far more than it should be.

8. Triceratops says:

I'd prefer new titles, but I still enjoy a good remake. Wind Waker firr Wii U should be beautiful. :)

9. RPH1 says:

The only remake I want after The Wind Waker is Majora's Mask using the same engine as OoT 3D with a soundtrack CD. How about a new Metroid game since we finished the Metroid Prime story arc.

10. mario sunshine says:

i world like to see mario sunshine to be remade it is a good game and i lot of people love that game

11. mario sunshine says:

i would like to see mario sunshine to be remade it is a good game and a lot of people love that game

12. emozelda says:

AHHH i still cant believe they did this over majoras mask!

1. heroofmask says:

u do know they said if there gonna remake mm it will be on 3ds just like oot was they dont seperate them remaking mm on wiiu would piss tons of people who love both oot and mm off who bought the 3ds for oot 3d so there best move is a remake on 3ds but only after they make a brand spanking new 3ds zelda game its needs 1

13. heroofmask says:

pokemon colloseum and pokemon x remakes for thos saying mm on wiiu ur dreaming if it gets remade it will be on 3ds just like oot 3d

14. Monstar says:

mmmmmmmmm…….. how about Majora's Mask?

15. Tony says:

It would be cool to see OoT DS ported over to Wii U…

16. Bad promisSes says:

Well miyamoto says he rather have new ganes then remakes

But seen from his action seen the past years he does the exact opposite of that

Ive kind of had it with this, zelda is dying by stupid desicions like this
    Everyone allready played WW and yet again a fucking remake without any extras ???

Best remake ever was resident evil 1 on the gamecube
    It was a entirely new game, new locations, new weapons new bosses new everything

Compare this n64 ocerina of time vs ocerina of time 3ds and youll why zelda is continuely dissapoint its fans
    If the next game is as bad as skyward sword im forever turning my back on zelda